• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Religion

theoretically yes, but practically they don't differ so much because neither actually worship anything, so I think atheism/agnosticism would have a similar spiritual lifestyle

I basically know the difference, agnostics think "well, there could be a god, but there's no reason to say so because we don't have any evidence pointing towards it". Atheists think "there is no god, case closed". I'm sort of split between the two viewpoints, but I'm just going to go ahead and call myself atheist, mkay?

I'm a Christian, but I think that people should be allowed to believe in whatever the hell they want. I don't care what you believe. It's your choice, not mine.
If only my grandparents, mother, ex-girlfriend and art class were like you :D

ゼニガメ26;3186 said:
I don't care for any religion 'cept Shinto, though I'm agnostic. Some Christians have gotten too religious and are trying to force Christianity on people.
In Ireland, our primary school RE is only Catholicism. Not even Christianity in general, JUST Catholicism.

And Stalin was an athiest :D

Altmer's right, though; religion has no real place in a debate because it's obviously going to lose every time; there is no (or at least, very little) impirical evidence because the point of faith is to believe despite the lack of evidence or even in the face of opposing evidence.
Yet so many people use religion in debates. Like in the fur trade argument, I had to debate on the 'Against' side (which I am on) and the people on the 'For' side said that according to the Bible, we can do whatever the hell we want with animals because WE RULE TEH EARTH! (I still can't believe Darwin and Christianity have something in common.) But not everyone is of the same religion, so that's a crap argument. I'd better stop before I start ranting :D

I'm not too fond of religion, especially being forced to learn about different religions in class every so often. I find it pointless. Science normally renders religion wrong, and if you follow the bible word for word, we're apparently all products of incest. (No offence meant to those who are Christian out there. Apologuies if you are offended, but I mean absolutely no harm.)

I honestly find it detestable how people go around town centres yelling about how "Jesus will save us all if we believe", and similar stuff. Religion is also just another cause for conflict. In some ways, Religion is just another separating barrier between two ethnic minorities, rather than bringing them together. If religion is about peace and everything, why is so much conflict caused over it? Religion mostly has good morals, but sometimes people just take it too far, like Jehovah's witness. They're like the Telemarketers of God.

Provided people aren't too "my religion is fantastic and it renders all else obsolete", I don't really mind the fact that there is religion, but when people start to flash it around into other people's faces when they don't want it and similar stuff, it just becomes annoying.
Feel happy you don't live in Ireland then.

I basically know the difference, agnostics think "well, there could be a god, but there's no reason to say so because we don't have any evidence pointing towards it". Atheists think "there is no god, case closed".

Er, no, not really. The atheistic point of view is generally "there is no evidence to support the theory of a god or gods, and as such it is safe to ignore the possibility of one existing", where as agnosticism is more "I am unsure if a god or gods exist, or whether this is even really relevant or important, or if we could ever prove or disprove it, and if we could, would it really matter anyway?"

I was under the impression that what you are calling the atheistic point of view is the agnostic point of view, and that what you are calling the agnostic point of view is the nontheistic view. But who cares? This kind of proves my point, actually. It's because the lines between the two (or three, if you count nontheistic) are so blurred, that I'm just going to go ahead and call myself atheist.

No, definitely not. Actually, you can't talk of an atheistic point of view because there is no shared atheistic point of view; that's what most atheists would tell you, though, I imagine.

and, uh, nontheism is an umbrella term for anything that isn't theism, so the various flavours of atheism and agnosticisim.

You missed the part about me not quite caring. I don't feel like learning the vague distinctions between all the branches of non-belief.

But they're NOT blurred. Agnosticism and atheism are completely different and not knowing the difference makes you look like an idiot.

Religion is stupid and holds humanity back somewhat but if people want to believe in magic then I guess they're going to believe in magic. I'm not going to infringe on their rights to believe what they like so long as they don't try and fuck things up with the world.

No I meant the "my religion is fantastic and it renders all else obsolete". I've been bullied for being atheist.

I'm Irish too. The whole system is out of whack. In our religion books, it pretty much SAYS that the creationist point of view is wrong, and then it goes of explaing how God said, "Liek, poof," and everything came into being.

I've been gossipped about for ages since I've become openly Atheist. Most of the guys in my class are sound about it, though. The most annoying thing about it, though, is how my parents, knowing full well about my atheism, STILL made me make my Confirmation.

So, yes, I think that religion is NOT - I repeat, NOT - helping our society. I think people have the right to believe in whatever they want, it's just when people who believe in every single word of the Bible come along trying to disprove hard facts like evolution and try to stamp out homosexuality that get on my nerves. I'm gay. I think I have the right to love who I want, thank you very much.

Oh, and to those extremists over there in America, who say that Catholicism, Islam, etc. are evil, then tell me. Is everyone I know and love around me evil? Is a 9-year-old Muslim friend of my sister's evil? Tell me, because I'd like to know. /rant

Well then, I guess I'd better sever all ties with everyone I know, lock myself in my room, build an alter and start praying to Jesus for redemption.

Religion causes most wars, so why do we have it? Well there are some reasons, it holds back some wars by little, and also it gives some people something to live for, but I just don't like it when people come out and say that their religion is *Supreme* over all others.

Religion causes most wars, so why do we have it? Well there are some reasons, it holds back some wars by little, and also it gives some people something to live for, but I just don't like it when people come out and say that their religion is *Supreme* over all others.

Religion exists because people believe in quote god(s), not because it holds off wars or does anything good.

Back
Top Bottom