• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Religion

Well, you could be wrong there.
The fact that, at some point, more or less every society in the known world has had some kind of religion suggests that religious beliefs are important to society.

I'm not saying whether religion is correct or not here, but most sociologists agree (yes, I know Marx didn't) that it serves a very important purpose as far as holding society together goes, regardless of whether or not the said god(s) actually exist.

But I think that we could do without religion now. Many people already do [myself included] so it can definitely be done.

Well, you could be wrong there.
The fact that, at some point, more or less every society in the known world has had some kind of religion suggests that religious beliefs are important to society.

I'm not saying whether religion is correct or not here, but most sociologists agree (yes, I know Marx didn't) that it serves a very important purpose as far as holding society together goes, regardless of whether or not the said god(s) actually exist.

you can have social structures that don't rely on god and work

But I think that we could do without religion now. Many people already do [myself included] so it can definitely be done.

you can have social structures that don't rely on god and work

Oh, of course, but that's because there are replacements for religion. If you take large social gatherings such as anime conventions, large sporting events or concerts, you'll notice that share many of the same principles that most religions have; collective singing/dancing/music, idol worship, dressing up extravagantly (to show appreciation to the idols) or similarly (to increase a feeling of kinship), mascots to serve as totems, symbols or rituals (that often seem alien to those not involved), special places for the events to take place (separated from outsiders) and loads more.

My point is, society needs things like this, and religion provides them.

Well no, because religion has been around since the dawn of humanity, and stuff like anime cons are pretty recent, wouldn't you say?

Religion is a way of explaining how the world works and gathering together with a group of like-minded individuals.

We have science to explain how the world works and we have other options for the groups of individuals. Religion's a nice idea, but at the end of the day if other things can do its job, woohoo.

No, but it fulfils a purpose, which is why it's so universal.

...I don't think I understand what you're getting at, here.

Once when I said I was agnostic somebody said that agnostics are "too scared to call themselves Christians".

I happen to think every religion on the face of the earth is false, so I found that comment rather stupid. I just think there still could be something out there we can't comprehend.

And shouldn't try to...

Also debating about religion is just... pointless, really, as others have already more or less said.

No, but it fulfils a purpose, which is why it's so universal.

...I don't think I understand what you're getting at, here.

I'm more getting at "if we have alternatives to religion then we should use them because religion's rather outdated and won't be able to hold up in the face of facts in a while."

Or something, idk. I have no problems with individual theists or whatever, I just happen to not believe in what they do.

I'm fine with religion as long as people don't try to force their beliefs and morals onto others who do not follow the same religion. Unfortunately, most religious people and organisations tend to do be incapable of not doing this, which is where the problems begin lol. Though tbh athiests often do the same thing, which pisses me off equally as much, Doesn't matter whether or not your values come from a religion if you still force them on others, it still pisses me off.

I don't hold any religious beliefs, though I wouldn't call myself an atheist because I don't like being associated with so many of the idiots who claim that title. I am open to the concept of deities and supernatural forces and all that, but I can't bring myself to believe that any of the major organised religions in the world are true for various reasons including the contradictions, inaccuracies, and disagreement with the religion's commandments.

I also tend to have what you might call a problem with authority in life, and this extends to religion as well - I prefer to do things my way and decide what I myself am going to do with my life even if my way is similar to the religious way - I prefer to have choice and be in control rather than mindlessly obey all rules and restrictions religion brings.

hopefully that made sense I've had very little sleep over the past few days hahaha

I don't know how people can have faith in a religion that's been proven wrong but I hold a deep respect for people who treasure their religion. I have no respect for people who shove their beliefs down other people's throats or who use it to make themselves feel superior. Which is why I give a thumbs up to Shinto, Muslims, Hindus, Jews, Protestantism, Presbyterianism and the Eastern Orthodox and a thumbs down to Lutheranism, Catholicism and Jehovah's Witnesses.

I don't know how people can have faith in a religion that's been proven wrong but I hold a deep respect for people who treasure their religion. I have no respect for people who shove their beliefs down other people's throats or who use it to make themselves feel superior. Which is why I give a thumbs up to Shinto, Muslims, Hindus, Jews, Protestantism, Presbyterianism and the Eastern Orthodox and a thumbs down to Lutheranism, Catholicism and Jehovah's Witnesses.

muslims force their religion upon others

Those indiscriminately sweeping declarations worry me. It's risible that you should judge as one so many different people.

since 9/11

zing

Nah, there are some Muslims in Britain pushing for Sharia law courts - if that's not pushing their religion at us, what is?

EDIT: Or at least, something I was reading the other day gave that impression, and didn't the Archbishop of Canterbury say that it was "inevitable" or something?

Some Muslims proselytize: from that one cannot deduce that all Muslims proselytize or indeed anything about the number of Muslims who proselytize.

There are also Hindus, Jews, Protestants, et cetera who proselytize. It's wrong to use individuals to draw conclusions about the whole.

And to say that the whole of Catholicism shoves its beliefs down other people's throats or that all Muslims force their religion upon others is absolutely absurd.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom