• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Roleplaying 'pet peeves'

Also when my post gets ignored completely, especially where a character does something which should make them very obvious to others.

Hey now, Played out personality is awesome, especially for people who have a hard time sticking to personalities. Like me. It feels so... limited.

I don't like writing personalities in forms that much, because a persons personality changes so much! Like, you'll (Or at least I do) act differently around your friends than siblings, or parents. That's just me, anyway.
You know what really bugs me? It hasn't ever happened here that I know of, but when in other forums when someone posts something like, "*sees Giratina* AAAAH RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!!!"
ARGH! ****** <-These? You don't use them like that in RPGs. PERIOD.

I don't even RP anymore, but the first RP I ever created (ever) had a godmoder that did things that I specifically said were impossible. That person ended up making another character's trainer catch him (a legendary splice thing), and then send him out and attack my character, who was currently suffering from a mind-control thing and figuring out how to fix it was supposed to be part of the plot. The godmoder, after attacking my character, ended up completely curing my character of said mind-control thing.

The godmoder never learned, and I recall an RP that I watched but did not join that he joined after the plot had been going on for ages with all the same characters in all the same awesome plot, but then he shows up, invents a doctor and decides that due to injuries one of the characters received that character has... I think it was broken bones and the possibility of death. Wtf.

... I should RP more... I only stopped because the people on Wands and Worlds are plotless one-liner idiots when it comes to role-playing...

... Hmm. I think I'll take up RPing once more once an RP rolls around that I find decent (I hate joining RPs already in progress), or I get an idea for an RP of my own (I used to have so many... but most of them failed/fail at life).

Last edited:
Most of the active RPs (as of right now) aren't even past halfway. I hate when people just end RPs, or don't even start one with a bunch of people already signed up.

Guilty of the following-
-A dumb plot.
-Omitting fields (Playing-out personality, optional history, etc.)

- Rapid-fire posting between two people.
- Confirmation words.
- Anybody else bothered by people who retread a character over and over again? I'm talking about people who will use the same character for every (primary) character across every RP they join, essentially without fail. As Castform said, don't get angry at me if you do this, but it's just... a tiny bit bothersome.

My characters only ever have one of two names. ^^; I'm gonna think of some new names now...

I don't like writing personalities in forms that much, because a persons personality changes so much! Like, you'll (Or at least I do) act differently around your friends than siblings, or parents. That's just me, anyway.
You know what really bugs me? It hasn't ever happened here that I know of, but when in other forums when someone posts something like, "*sees Giratina* AAAAH RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!!!"
ARGH! ****** <-These? You don't use them like that in RPGs. PERIOD.

Right. Another thing that really annoys me is when people use smilies. Instead of saying "Taillow said, 'I like that:grin:'", they should say "Taillow said, 'I like that.' He grinned."

Trust me. Smilies and asterisks in RPs = Third most annoying thing. Second, godmoding.

First?

MARY-SUES! You won't believe how many I've seen. They're horrible.

This. but its more of a pet hate than actually finding it really annoying. I hate that in all threads Actually, most forum games but its the worst in RP because then you have to catch up.

Yes, but in forum games you don't HAVE to catch up because it's always nearly the same but RPs have a plot and stuff you have to follow so if you don't keep up you'll be left behind.

Right. Another thing that really annoys me is when people use smilies. Instead of saying "Taillow said, 'I like that:grin:'", they should say "Taillow said, 'I like that.' He grinned."

Trust me. Smilies and asterisks in RPs = Third most annoying thing. Second, godmoding.

First?

MARY-SUES! You won't believe how many I've seen. They're horrible.

Ugh, smilies are even worse than asterisks. Speaking of which, I guess asterisks would be okay if your character is swearing and you replace one of the letters in the word with it or something, but still. Mary-Sues and godmoding go without saying.

I have honestly never seen anybody use smilies while RPing. Except one of my friends, but that's forgiven because it was entirely between real-life friends.

I suppose I just avoid uncivilized role-playing forums.

Smilies in prose RPs.

Smilies in the dialogue of lj-style RPs: stick 'm in the brackets with the rest of your actions. Better yet, it's LJ: you have ~icons~.

Inconsistencies between use of 'and' and '&'. hi, khrdressingroom.

People throwing fits over one-liners. If a one-liner covers everything, then don't complain. Sparse > purple.

Godawful icons on LJ.

Lack of capitalization in dialogue or prose.

Random other languages.

Referring to other players as 'bb' after three comments. wtf you guys

Mimicking technophile badly so that no one can tell what's dialogue and what isn't.

oh, and dear random Chrome/Mukuro in khrdressingroom: you can't speak Italian. Don't write in bad Spanish and tell people to pretend it's Italian. Your Spanish is awful. Just use italics or something and say "((PRETEND THAT'S ITALIAN, PLOX))" or something. @_@;;

non-prose RPs are not 'uncivilized'. They're just rare off LJ. I don't think anyone can sanely say that the CFUD guys are godawful just because they like a different format.

Smilies in prose RPs.

Smilies in the dialogue of lj-style RPs: stick 'm in the brackets with the rest of your actions. Better yet, it's LJ: you have ~icons~.

Inconsistencies between use of 'and' and '&'. hi, khrdressingroom.

People throwing fits over one-liners. If a one-liner covers everything, then don't complain. Sparse > purple.

Godawful icons on LJ.

Lack of capitalization in dialogue or prose.

Random other languages.

Referring to other players as 'bb' after three comments. wtf you guys

Mimicking technophile badly so that no one can tell what's dialogue and what isn't.

oh, and dear random Chrome/Mukuro in khrdressingroom: you can't speak Italian. Don't write in bad Spanish and tell people to pretend it's Italian. Your Spanish is awful. Spanish doesn't even look like Italian. Just use italics or something and say "((PRETEND THAT'S ITALIAN, PLOX))" or something. @_@;;

non-prose RPs are not 'uncivilized'. They're just rare off LJ. I don't think anyone can sanely say that the CFUD guys are godawful just because they like a different format.

People who obsess over how "this is a literate roleplay" and then proceed to let anyone and everyone in who asks to join.

This is my scourge :dead:.

I hate it when two people will start posting right after another in an RP without waiting for the others, and utterly screwing up the posting order.

I hate posting orders when someone's stupidly slow. :(

However, people posting quite a lot when they really shouldn't be's much more annoying. D:

And the usage of Japanese-sounding names because they sound cool or whatever.

Does this mean we can't use Japanese names? They're the only things I can think of.

Especially bad when it's a fake-out, like "post this word" on the top of the list, and at the end of the rules, "Don't post the word".

Is thou trying to tell me something?

-GODMODING.
-People who use *stuff like this to show actions*.
-People who spell "appearance" wrong. It's not a hard word.
-People who only include "name", "species", "gender", and "other", in other words short character forms.

Does this mean we can't use Japanese names? They're the only things I can think of.
Try not to -- there are plenty of other names to choose from -- and -- btw I don't know what names you use -- "Sakura" and "Sora" are the most overused names ever. Along with "Raven".
eww faux-shakespearean english :( "Art thou", not "Is thou". Also, is this really the right context for the informal singular second-person pronoun...?
-People who use *stuff like this to show actions*.
This really, really, really depends on context. For most of what's done here, yeah, it's out of place. But it isn't in a lot of places... although [ ACTIONS IN BRACKETS ] are much more common since you can then spot what goes where.
-People who only include "name", "species", "gender", and "other", in other words short character forms.
... what's the problem here? You can do fairly well with just "name" and "sample post".

A rubbish plot. For some reason, a lot of Brawl roleplays seem to fail here... x.x
Uh, my Brawl RP is the only living Brawl RP at the moment, so you may as well refer to it by name. I'm sorry, but a lot of the plot is hidden at the moment, since the RP is only beginning and all. This is NOT because I don't have any plot planned out.

Okay, um, on topic...

-Mary Sues (Duh)
-Pointless fillers (I'm guilty of fillers just to move the day along and to let everyone know my character still exists, but at least on average their at least two paragraphs and often have quite a bit to them.)
-People who join, makes a few posts/no posts, and leaves
-Characters with little to no personality

I might post more later.

Umm...no, no, not at all....GOTTAGOBYE! *runs*

Actually, no, it wasn't directed at you personally. Just saying that it doesn't make that much sense, seeing as people here tend to be pretty civil in roleplays and if they aren't, you can always boot them, and there's usually a mod around to enforce the boot if necessary...

But that was a long time ago, so no hard feelings. :D

In my opinion, the name Funlbert doesn't sound much better than Kurokarasu. And I'm really bad at making up names, and I don't want something plain like "Andrew." Not like I play many male characters.

Another one I don't like:

Lack of punctuation and capitalization. It makes everything confusing.

Uh, my Brawl RP is the only living Brawl RP at the moment, so you may as well refer to it by name. I'm sorry, but a lot of the plot is hidden at the moment, since the RP is only beginning and all. This is NOT because I don't have any plot planned out.

Urm, I wasn't talking about here. o.o Back on a different forum there were tons of Brawl roleplays that just sucked. And I mean really sucked =/

In my opinion, the name Funlbert doesn't sound much better than Kurokarasu. And I'm really bad at making up names, and I don't want something plain like "Andrew." Not like I play many male characters.

Actually Funlbert sounds pretty damn cool in my opinion, though I have weird taste in names. It certainly, however, sounds much more original and less generic than Kurokarasu.

I like Funlbert~ It should be someone's last name.

Back
Top Bottom