• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Tales of Symphonia Evolution Mafia [DAY 8 - GAME OVER]

Re: Tales of Symphonia Evolution Mafia [DAY 1]

Hmm, I guess you're right... but I don't think he'll really be that strict. I guess we'll see by the next game night.

I think I'll abstain because of my above post's reasons.

I dunno... I've never played a game with an alien deactivator role, and it's always fun to play with a shiny new role, but I can't help feeling that if we take the Alien out now, we don't even risk an Alien Win, which is a good thing. Taking the Alien out early is pretty good in a game - every time a night passes and nobody dies, there's a big "Could it be an activated Alien???" scare and everybody's to scared to do anything.

On the other hand, now that we know ILS is an Alien, we can relax a bit and be less cautious. I dunno. I still think lynching him is a bit safer...

Guys we should be mean and lynch the replacement right away Y/Y?

Seriously though, Maybe keeping Squirtles alive isnt that bad due to an Alien Deactivator.

It sounds like a very helpful role.

((inb4 everyone will claim Seri is mafia and so is ILS and tehy're saving each other))

I don't see the possible benefit as worth the risk, really. I mean, I get why the deactivator would wish to stay useful (though it is possible that I liek Squirtles is lying for whatever reason, and we won't be able to tell, so I suppose Seritinajii could still be targeting people at night), and also have a known ally, but ... we don't want an alien win. Or the annoyance of not knowing if the alien's been activated or not. So.

Besides, that would require the mafia or serial killer targeting the alien first, right? Do we consider that likely?

I don't see the possible benefit as worth the risk, really. I mean, I get why the deactivator would wish to stay useful (though it is possible that I liek Squirtles is lying for whatever reason, and we won't be able to tell, so I suppose Seritinajii could still be targeting people at night), and also have a known ally, but ... we don't want an alien win. Or the annoyance of not knowing if the alien's been activated or not. So.

Besides, that would require the mafia or serial killer targeting the alien first, right? Do we consider that likely?

We could have Kam target the alien for us, proving his role (somewhat) like he wanted to at the same time. However, Seri's level four thing does sound like a sort of lover thing to me (although I haven't played Tales of Symphonia either, so I don't know) and I wonder if it would really make the alien completely innocent or put the two of them on a separate alignment that could end up working against us innocents (some sort of alien-lover thing?), or something. Even if it just made them innocent-aligned lovers, that would make them big targets for the Mafia to get rid of two players at once, right? But if we lynch Squirtles today, the Mafia could kill Seri during the night and it wouldn't make much of a difference if they would have turned out to be lovers that could both be killed in one night. So, uh. I don't really know what we should do. Hm.

Well, if Karkat is mafia-aligned, it's not hard to arrange to have Squirtles targeted, particularly if it'll be safe to kill the both of them the next day. But we wouldn't want to do that until we got confirmation that Seri's at level four, anyway, which is probably on Night 3 or so.

In any case, if it doesn't make a difference if they would've been lovers, then surely the safer option is to lynch Squirtles now? If we assume that they'd both die pretty soon anyway, we might as well take the route with minimal (i.e. hopefully zero) chance of lynching an active alien.

Come to think of it, a lv 4 deactivator could still be useful if we aren't 100% sure Squirtles is an alien (I think we all believe he is one, and there's only one of each character, right, but still) - if we ever have an "omg alien" panic later, we could get Seri to target that person, since the inspector is unreliable in that way. It wouldn't help with the framer or anything, but it is a bit of extra safety.

Well, if Karkat is mafia-aligned, it's not hard to arrange to have Squirtles targeted

Blaaah I just typed up this whole thing about vig kills and Mafia kills and proving Kam to be the vigilante or not the vigilante and then realized that's not what you meant. :( I'll say it anyway for idk... future reference or something:

If Kam is Mafia, though, then there will be a kill missing tomorrow. Since he wants to prove his role by killing someone, there should be a vig kill, a Mafia kill, and an SK kill tomorrow morning. If he tries to play off the Mafia kill as his own vig kill, then there will be at most two deaths. Of course, there can be other explanations for that, like lucky doctors, obviously, or an inactive serial killer, so... I guess that won't be a foolproof way of proving to us that he's the vig. Either way, though, it will get the alien activated for us, allowing us to go through with Seri's plan, if that's what we decide.

In any case, if it doesn't make a difference if they would've been lovers, then surely the safer option is to lynch Squirtles now? If we assume that they'd both die pretty soon anyway, we might as well take the route with minimal (i.e. hopefully zero) chance of lynching an active alien.

Yeah, that's true. If Seri's role does cause some kind of lover thing, then either a) Seri will end up aligned with the alien, in which case it would be beneficial to lynch the alien now, or b) they will be innocent lovers and could be killed in one night, in which case it won't make a difference whether or not we lynch the alien now. I guess there are other possibilities I'm not thinking of, though, and also they won't necessarily end up as lovers; it really could end up with the alien becoming an innocent. But it does seem like a lover thing. I'll leave my vote where it is, then.

It could also be gotten around if Karkat happens to be the mafia don - with so many posts, he'd surely have at least one unblockable kill, and that could be used so he could say "Damn, looks like the mafia /also/ targeted Squirtles because we planned to do it publicly", or, well, if it's the maximum number of kills that goes up as the don levels up, anyone could be the don and do it that way. So yeah, too many factors. Might as well ignore all that and kill I liek Squirtles.

And if "Prince of Her Dreams" is not meant to be a lovers thing, then that would just be ... very odd and Kratos would be a poophead. (Unless it's literal - dreams, communication at night, etc, if it fits. Who here actually played the game?)

I've played the original Tales of Symphonia (to death :D), but not the sequel, where a lot of these characters, including this one, come from.

But it sounds to me less like a lover's role and more like a communicate-outside-the-thread thing, without the one-dies-the-other-dies-too bit. But I'm not convinced that's worth keeping ILS around for.

Either way, getting rid of him isn't really going to hurt us, is it? Unless he's lying... but I really can't see why he'd do that, especially if he's new. Just seems more like a case of him being a bit shaky on the game. It seems like the simplest and safest option, even if Seri wants to test his role. Whether they're lovers or they turn innocent... it'd take quite a few posts to get to that point anyways, so I'm just going to go with the general opinion and change mine to I liek Squirtles.

Also, I can't give any help on whether or not they're supposed to be lovers in the game because I haven't played the sequel either. Perhaps somebody could look it up? (I don't want to because I'd rather avoid spoilers for when I eventually get it.)

Okay, going by the Wikipedia entries, suicidal lovers is entirely plausible (maybe brothers too, but not as much). Anyone who wants to see can look for themselves, but I guess I won't say any more for the people who don't want to be spoiled.

Hmmm, good point, even if we want to test out Seri's role, I think it's better to be rid of the alien now, like I said, saving him as an innocent isn't going to help much when he isn't much help to the game, him being new and all. The mafia would be stupid to target him now though, so he's pretty much useless, if we lynch someone ILS would be the best option.

Guys we should be mean and lynch the replacement right away Y/Y?

Seriously though, Maybe keeping Squirtles alive isnt that bad due to an Alien Deactivator.

It sounds like a very helpful role.

((inb4 everyone will claim Seri is mafia and so is ILS and tehy're saving each other))

WHY DID EVERYONE IGNORE THIS POST >|

Wargle why are you so excited to lynch someone who hasn't even posted yet?

1. Because Wargle said we should lynch someone who isn't even started yet.

2. Because Wargle is evil like that.

3. If Wargle is mafia I am so getting killed tonight. :sweatdrop:

1. Because Wargle said we should lynch someone who isn't even started yet.

2. Because Wargle is evil like that.

3. If Wargle is mafia I am so getting killed tonight. :sweatdrop:

... why would you get killed tonight?

And yes, it was the 'Wargle is evil like that' which I was getting at. Because. You know. Mafia is evil.

It was a joke, lol. I mean that Wargle's going to attack me for calling her evil.

Wargle? Mafia? I was just kidding... but I think ILS is the best lead for now. But I wouldn't put it past Wargle to be mafia, being evil and all. :grin:

Please don't kill me. *ducks*

But this new person must have an important role, so much that Kratos wanted a replacement. What if this new person is a mafia member? Obviously the mafia don is there since we've already had our first death (poor Negrek), but maybe they were some important mafia member or something? I'm not jumping to anything, but I mean we should be stepping with a little caution here, you know?

Last edited:

My PM states that "Prince of Her Dreams" is an innocent-aligned role, with the alien role removed. As far as I know there's no lover thing involved in it.

I said I wanted to keep the player slot, not the role. My asking for a replacement has nothing to do with the power of the role and everything to do with wanting the game to progress without modkilling unnecessarily--why should the mafia or the innocents be a player down, or an entire third-party faction be knocked out on day one, just because someone is unable to play and left me fair warning about it? Besides, it's generally easiest on a replacement if you get them early on, because they don't have to worry as much about trying to figure out what the original player in that slot was trying to say or accomplish (or trying to defend themselves from something stupid the original player may have said, as I've seen in some cases).

Getting replacements is actually very common on other forums. Yes, even if the role to be replaced in those games is regular vanilla town. I say it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing for TCoD mafia games to start attempting when they're actually dragging. tehSR could be Brute or Lloyd or Emil or Zelos or Corrine or anyone at all; please don't make unfair assumptions about his role just because I asked him to sub in, and actually give him a chance to contribute first the same as any other player. Continue playing exactly as you would have if Keltena hadn't left.

It was ignored because it's clearly a joke. Playing a meanie an joking that we shouldn't give the replacement a chance to play.

And why are you so eager to jump on someone for what was clearly a joke? I know the only time I've done that is when I was a Mafia member. (I think it was in the original Monty Python Mafia? I don't remember exactly.)

Back
Top Bottom