• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

TV Tropes Mafia [DAY 7]

Re: TV Tropes Mafia [DAY 3]

Post showed up.

But what could counter a roleclaim killer?

Besides, an arsonist is more or less a delayed vig. A roleclaim killer could potentially kill ten people on Night 1; the arsonist can only douse one person a night.

It could, but it would depend on exactly how that role worked. Can they only kill a certain number at a time? Is it restricted to exactly the people that roleclaimed, or can it hit anyone/everyone with that role regardless of which ones have yet to claim (that one's pretty much ruled out)? This game has had an unusually high number of roleclaims within the first three days; while games with secret roles are likely to involve a lot of claiming, this many people this soon is... unexpected.

Honestly, though, I think people are a little too attached to the idea that it's a roleclaim-specific killer anyway. Why can't it just be a general killer that can hit more than one person at once (probably with some sort of limit) and thought that those three would continue to be more useful than they probably would have? I think someone mentioned that idea before, but it seems to have been swept under the rug by the possibility that the roleclaims themselves had something to do with the deaths, as opposed to the roleclaims simply making them a target for someone who misunderstood how limited the mysterious informant role was or something.

I was thinking that possibly the three Mysterious Informant deaths weren't because of a roleclaim-killer that's still among us, but as a result of Superbird's death. It seems possible that there could be a Mafia-aligned role that causes something to happen after it dies, maybe after some sort of delay. Superbird did say that bad things would happen if he died, although I'm not sure if that was just if he was lynched or if he died at night as well (or if that was true at all). I'm pretty sure he was purposely trying to look suspicious, and he had a specific condition saying he wasn't allowed to roleclaim (more specifically, he wasn't allowed to reveal his power trope). That most likely means that there was a reason that he would want to roleclaim, even though he was Mafia - probably his death would be advantageous in some way. After that, though, he did try to dissuade us from lynching him. That could have been a trick, but it might mean that his effect could have been activated during the night and not just from a lynch. (It's kind of odd that he would try to convince us not to lynch him after what seemed like trying to get himself lynched, so mayyyyybe that was even a trick to make us try to think he was trying to make us not lynch him so that we would in fact lynch him! Or MAYBE yeah I'll stop now)

Hm, I can't really think of a power that could have caused three roleclaimers to die the night after, so I guess that's not likely, but it's just a thought. These are experimental roles, after all...

Oh, like Destiny Bond! Maybe Superbird linked with the three MIs at the beginning of the game somehow, but his death caused a delayed death or something?

I DON'T KNOW BUT THAT SOUNDS AWESOME AND RIDICULOUS.

I thought it might have something to do with lynching votes, but I just looked back and while Zhorken voted for Superbird's lynching, Mai supported the lynching but abstained and Skylark seemed to support the lynching but never actually voted anything. I'm not really sure how else Superbird could have had some influence on their deaths since they roleclaimed after he died, unless his death gives the Mafia some sort of extra chain roleclaim killing or something. But I'm pretty sure Superbird's death must have done something, whether it had to do with the MI deaths or not.

EDIT: Zhorken was the last to vote Superbird, anyway, although I guess that can't really matter unless Superbird had some really obscure power.

Maybe Superbird's role was something completely bizarre like he could pick a number of people at the start of the game, and when he died, they died a few days later? (dunno if there's a trope for that) And it just happened that the people he picked were all Mysterious Informants? It kinda corresponds to how not all the MIs died that night.

It's highly unlikely, but I wanted to put something out there.

A question containing something like "because of" or "due to" is inherently vague; how far are you going to stretch the chain of causality? (If a guy gets shot, did he die "because of" intensive blood loss? Because he was hit by a bullet? Because a gun discharged while pointed at him? Because the woman holding the gun decided to pull the trigger? Because she was his wife and had just caught him in bed with another woman? Because he was cheating on her? Because events in his youth gave him a compulsive need for danger in his sex life that wasn't satisfied by the safety of sleeping with his wife?) Personally, as a GM, I would always ask for something more specific if I got such a question, more to make sure the asker knows exactly what question I'm answering than anything else.

Dammit, that means my hypothesis is wrong. Oh well.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't we only suspicious of her on the condition that Littlestream flipped mafia? Not that anyone is truly cleared until the game is over, but since she and Littlestream effectively confirmed one another as vanilla town, and then Littlestream flipped "not mafia"... and now that Seritinajii is claiming the same thing... it's not likely that they were all mafia making up a safeclaim, because, well, Littlestream very clearly wasn't mafia. :/

Well, I was going to ask BRCB, but she's kinda inactive. And there's always the chance that EE was Mafia, pretending to be innocent and bandwagoning Littlestream's roleclaim. Since the mafia would know that Littlestream is not mafia (or terrorist, but that's unlikely due to the nature of the roleclaim), they can pretty much make a safeclaim and get away with it. I'm not saying that they were all mafia, but just that some or one of them might be mafia.

But everybody might be mafia so :/

Honestly, though, I think people are a little too attached to the idea that it's a roleclaim-specific killer anyway.

It's because Butterchuru mentioned "these unfortunate roleclaimers" (or something along the lines of that, can't be bothered to check right now) in the flavor text when they died. It could be just plain old flavor text, but I think it has something to do with how they were killed.

Why can't the mafia just out themselves so we can lynch them already, dammit.

*zombie*

I haven't had a lot of time to devote to this game recently, and I most likely won't until the end of the week. No particular insights I can offer, although perhaps our roleclaim-killer has some kind of Rule of Three thing going on? Like, kind of a vigilante, but they can only kill three at once and only every third night. And obviously not village-aligned unless they know something sinister about Mysterious Informants that we're in the dark about. If that were the case, we would see a similar kill pattern coming up two nights from now (unless they chose to pass on their night action). Evidently numbers games are fair play in this game, given Vixie's power, so just thought I'd throw it out there.

I'll get something more useful together for my next post, but it's going to take a while, so.

It's because Butterchuru mentioned "these unfortunate roleclaimers" (or something along the lines of that, can't be bothered to check right now) in the flavor text when they died. It could be just plain old flavor text, but I think it has something to do with how they were killed.

But "how they were killed" could very well be "uh well these three roleclaimed information roles so I better kill 'em"!

My point being that I'm not sure this discussion is actually getting us anywhere. There are just too many unknowns. If whatever happened to those three wasn't a one-shot deal then we may indeed notice a pattern starting to emerge. But as good as it is to consider these things, in the end you have to stop grasping at straws and start acting. BRCB has viewed the thread and still has not posted. Generally speaking the mafia are less likely to be inactive, but at least most lazy innocent inactives make an effort to come in and say "sorry, I have nothing to contribute, plz dun lynch me". Continued silence even in the face of mounting lynch interest, to me anyway, smacks of being unable to craft a suitable lie in self-defense... or at least completely and utterly giving up, and so definitely not worth keeping around. Are we going to lynch her, then? Does anyone besides Linoone suspect Emerald Espeon (and if so, what is your opinion of Seritinajii, who is corroborating her story)?

Personally, I'm okay with believing Emerald Espeon and Seritinajii for now; no "actual vanilla townies" have spoken out against them, anyway. I'm going to cast my vote to lynch Big Red Cherry Bomb.

Well, I don't really have anything else to offer, so:

Voting to lynch Big Red Cherry Bomb.

Aaaaand as soon as the boldface type starts, the analysis stops. Oh well.

Big Red Cherry Bomb

It doesn't have to stop. If you feel like you have something to contribute, by all means say it instead of just bandwagoning; there's a difference between talking in unhelpful circles and discussing something that is of actual worth to us now, and certainly the latter should still be done even while voting. I asked whether anyone else shared Linoone's suspicions of Emerald Espeon, for example. I don't, but that doesn't mean that absolutely no one else has any further opinion on the matter, or that if they do that they have to forget about mentioning it because the only thing their post can contain is a bolded name.

@everyone in general, not just Jack.

Random thing I forgot to suggest earlier; maybe Bloodmania was a lover, and chose Zora so they could talk with each other during the game?

Idk.

Nothing wrong with lynching BRCB, so why not.

Something I just noticed but that seems pretty unlikely: what if Mawile became the Mafia don after res died? That would explain the differing flavour text for the kills. res had a gun, but after he died, if he was the Mafia don (which I think we've concluded he probably was) he would have been replaced by someone else with a different power trope, who might have had a different method of killing. Two of the kills the two nights after that had blood coming out of the victim's ears, which I think some people said might have been the Mafia doctor, but it could also have been the new Mafia don's power. Then Mawile died on the second of those nights (but I think kills always go through even if the killer is targeted by another killer, unless they are roleblocked) and if she was the Mafia don, she would have had to be replaced by someone else with potentially a different power trope. Then the night after that, Lupine Volt was torn apart by dogs and that was the only death.

The flavour text said that Mawile was asleep in her bed when she was killed, so that doesn't seem too likely, but maybe her method of killing was a delayed poison or something that causes blood to come out of the ears?

Back
Top Bottom