• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Twilight

From what I've heard about it, it sounds like a cheesy soap opera with vampires, and there's no way in hell I'm reading it, unless I decide to read it just to see how bad it is.

People hate it because Edward is a Gary-Stu. He is not a Gary-Stu; he is as controlling as all hell.

And regarding the movie, they casted someone ugly for Edward. :(
Also that link Vlad posted is hilarious.

If I went into a room full of Twilight obsessies and announced that I hated Twilight, how many times do you think I'd get mauled?

My friend suggested "once for every page in the series times the number of girls in the room".

My friend suggested "once for every page in the series times the number of girls in the room".

I say square that.

Honestly, I like the books but cannot stand it when people become intolerant of the other side, e.g. a fangirl pitching fits because other people don't like Edward or a Twilight-hater stating that all the characters are mary-sues and that fangirls of the series are incredibly stupid.

It's not so much that they like the books so much as it is that if they come across somebody that doesn't, that person is obviously a freak of nature, mentally insane, or whatever other explanation they can come up with. Most of the girls at my school would maul me if they found out I hated Twilight. A claim was made that "I don't know what I'm talking about" when I told one girl that I didn't like Twilight, and there was another girl that acted really surprised when I said I hated the series.

Best way to form a valid opinion.

If my sister, all of my friends that have read any of it, and every review that I've read say that a book is bad, and if the plot isn't anything I'd be even remotely interested in, I'm not going to read it.

If I went into a room full of Twilight obsessies and announced that I hated Twilight, how many times do you think I'd get mauled?
I'd maul you for being an asshole. I'm not the world's biggest Twilight fan but there's seriously no need to be such a dick. Let people enjoy their garbage vampire romance novel if they want to.

Now, if one of them claimed it was brilliantly written or something along those lines, and you wanted to politely disagree, that'd be another story...

I've somehow managed to avoid the Twilight phenomenon; I blame it on living in an environment filled entirely with people aged 18+ who are too busy to read kid's fiction and it not being as big in the UK as the US, but from what I've read and heard, it's disturbing how many people think the book tells a good story when it seems the cental storyline is little more than abusive relationship.
The funny thing here being that nobody'd let thier 12-year-old kid read a book if the main male physically and sexually abused his girlfriend, but because it's all emotional, it's fine and dandy.

I really want to read the books now so I can actually form an informed opinion, but I don't have a lot of spare time and don't really want to waste on anti-feminist garbage like Twilight.

Honestly, I'm sick of this series. Everyday, somebody mentions it.
Every
single
day.

Almost everyone in my class is obsessed with the book. "OMG isn't edward SO hot?"
"I'd sleep with a vampire!"
"The other vampires are fake - Edward is a REAL vampire!"

It's very creepy.

I'd maul you for being an asshole. I'm not the world's biggest Twilight fan but there's seriously no need to be such a dick. Let people enjoy their garbage vampire romance novel if they want to.

... I never said I was ever going to...

tbh if this was a book where the author could write worth shit and didn't try to pass off this abusive relationship as tru luv I'd probably read it properly.

i've been mobbed by fangirlies since friday... fortunately not everyone I know is a fangirl...:unsure: altought the fangirliest of them all wants to be like a vampire/witch/wiccan crossbreed(that's what she says... and i can't understand a word...) and is incredibly violent as well as tempermental *runs*

Last edited:
I'll say what I like about it.
It has a quality of addictiveness and appeals to many females. Bella Swan is a character that you can identify with. It has a lot of intrigue in some places.
The writer seems like a nice woman and her writing has some potential when not absolute crap.

I've somehow managed to avoid the Twilight phenomenon; I blame it on living in an environment filled entirely with people aged 18+ who are too busy to read kid's fiction and it not being as big in the UK as the US, but from what I've read and heard, it's disturbing how many people think the book tells a good story when it seems the cental storyline is little more than abusive relationship.
The funny thing here being that nobody'd let thier 12-year-old kid read a book if the main male physically and sexually abused his girlfriend, but because it's all emotional, it's fine and dandy.

I really want to read the books now so I can actually form an informed opinion, but I don't have a lot of spare time and don't really want to waste on anti-feminist garbage like Twilight.

I don't really feel Edward physically and sexually abused his girlfriend, to be honest. The main storyline really isn't an abusive relationship. XD The first time they have sex, and Bella is bruised (but not actually in pain whatsoever for some reason) Edward pretty much blows his top and refuses to do it again. But Bella manages to persuade him because they'll know how to handle it better again. ...And now that I write it that sounds so hilarious, but still. XD

A lot of people are under the impression that because the main character is a girl and the love interest is male and a vampire, and the male basically rules the relationship, that it's anti-feminist and really sexist - and I don't think that's the case personally. The books were alright; there's better stuff to read but it does fulfil its purpose of getting some fourteen year old girls to read who probably haven't picked up a book since primary school and actually enjoy it. Edward really isn't a Gary-Stu at all; he is really controlling. Which makes people hate him for that, but seriously, characters should have flaws, characters shouldn't have flaws, make up your bloody minds... The protagonist is the weakest character in the books, and she annoys me quite a lot, but I don't think she's a Mary-Sue herself.

For those wanting to read it but not wanting to pay, Scribd is your friend.

So is the library?

Back
Top Bottom