• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

University Applications

Re: flatness: oh my god I know. Flat places are boring. So are places without trees. (lol it's really coming through that I live on a mountain in a forest park right now)

also yeah apparently Sheffield is the fourth biggest city in the UK! or it might be fifth now, the guy did say it kept swapping with another city.

I also like the housing at Sheffield. In the place I want to go there's a student pub thingy right across from the building. If I can't be bothered to walk twenty minutes to the SU I can totally just go across the road :D

Re: flatness: oh my god I know. Flat places are boring. So are places without trees. (lol it's really coming through that I live on a mountain in a forest park right now)

No, it's really coming through that you live in Wales XD

Hehe, it's literally thirty second's walk from my student house in Canterbury to one of three local pubs, plus another two reachable in two minutes. It's awesome in terms of being able to go out and not have to walk miles in the cold/rain/dark, but when I don't go out (which is way more often than not), hearing the drunks singing The Grand Old Duke of York loudly outside my window when I'm trying to sleep gets a little annoying.

WELL

Dundee has a statue of Dirty Dan in the town centre.

>8( BEAT THAT

(but that's great Harle <3)

ty <3

No, it's really coming through that you live in Wales XD

Hehe, it's literally thirty second's walk from my student house in Canterbury to one of three local pubs, plus another two reachable in two minutes. It's awesome in terms of being able to go out and not have to walk miles in the cold/rain/dark, but when I don't go out (which is way more often than not), hearing the drunks singing The Grand Old Duke of York loudly outside my window when I'm trying to sleep gets a little annoying.

... I miss the bilingual signs, too. :( Places with English-only signs are weird.

I love the closeness to pubs and such because no one likes walking miles in the cold, drunk out of their head and barely able to see. Bad news bears, that is.

But yeah, I can see how that might get annoying.

Congrats, everyone!

Also, Duke sent their "Altogether: Unique" poster (jesus christ can you get any more cheesy). They have an LGBT Carolina Scholarship. This is exciting. I'm changing my mind about going to Duke now.

You must be a student who identifies as LGBT, who is from North or South Carolina, and who will be attending Duke University. The scholarship is open to both students who are matriculating from high school and students currently enrolled at Duke.

Like, seriously. How many people are going to be eligible for this? Although Duke is ~4-5 hours from home, this is like really, really awesome.

What the hell? You get money off going to uni for being gay? How do they even know? Is there a gayness test you have to take, or do you just say "yeah, I'm gay"? If so, I think the answer is pretty much anyone is eligible.

It's a sweet gesture, but I really think the money could be better spent on a campaign like this.

Sorry if I'm being all downer-y. It does sound cool, and obviously any uni that has something like this is gonna be fairly awesome :)

Massive congratulations, Spaekle! :D

Yeah, the first thing I thought upon seeing that was "lol hey, trendy bi kids get free money". Although I guess it depends on what exactly you have to do to qualify.

:3 :3 Now I just have to stress out for another week until scholarship results come in.

What the hell? You get money off going to uni for being gay? How do they even know? Is there a gayness test you have to take, or do you just say "yeah, I'm gay"? If so, I think the answer is pretty much anyone is eligible.

It's a sweet gesture, but I really think the money could be better spent on a campaign like this.

Sorry if I'm being all downer-y. It does sound cool, and obviously any uni that has something like this is gonna be fairly awesome :)

I think they mean that by scholarship, you have to apply, and certain people are judged for receiving the money.

Honestly, I would donate my scholarship money from that thing to put up a poster like that somewhere around here.

Yeah, the first thing I thought upon seeing that was "lol hey, trendy bi kids get free money". Although I guess it depends on what exactly you have to do to qualify.

The poster described the scholarship as something like "people actively involved in the LGBT community," so, yeah. The website has it worded oddly.

Last edited:
Aaaaaaand Ringling accepted me too. I don't think I got a scholarship from them, but they were nice enough to give me some cute little buttons, a pencil, and a mini-sketchbook.

I just got a letter in the mail from CCAD.

$36,000 SCHOLARSHIP, BITCHES!

I know it's not anywhere near the probably over $100,000 that it'll cost in total, but god damn, I wasn't expecting anywhere near that much, even knowing that they're generous! x33333333 My whole dayweekmonthyearLIFE is maaaaade!

...there was also a letter from SCAD that my mom accidentally dropped and ran over with the car on the way to get me saying that while "my work shows promise" they weren't giving me any extra money for my portfolio. Lol fuck them, I don't care. I think I waited too long on SCAD and Ringling to submit my stuff, actually, and that's why I didn't get anything from them, but now I don't caaaaaaaare!

Last edited:
1117yux.png

:D

more to the point:

23us1d.png

Last edited:
*b-b-b-bump*

I need to start applying to universities at the end of this year... and I need to go to open days this summer. Except my mum's being an arse and says she won't take me, so... I have no idea how I'm going to do that.

I'd really like to go to one in Scotland (I'm half-Scottish, used to live there, and... just generally really like the country), so I'm having my eye on Aberdeen. At first I really wanted to go to Edinburgh, but the entry requirements are probably aiming a little too high for me.

Aaaand... apparently Aberdeen has one of the best Sociology courses in the UK. :D Which is just awesome. I've never been to Aberdeen, whereas I've been to Edinburgh a few times, but I hear it's a nice place.

*b-b-b-bump*

I need to start applying to universities at the end of this year... and I need to go to open days this summer. Except my mum's being an arse and says she won't take me, so... I have no idea how I'm going to do that.

I'd really like to go to one in Scotland (I'm half-Scottish, used to live there, and... just generally really like the country), so I'm having my eye on Aberdeen. At first I really wanted to go to Edinburgh, but the entry requirements are probably aiming a little too high for me.

Aaaand... apparently Aberdeen has one of the best Sociology courses in the UK. :D Which is just awesome. I've never been to Aberdeen, whereas I've been to Edinburgh a few times, but I hear it's a nice place.

Yeeeeeaaaaahhhh <3

Scottish unis are generally cheaper to live at than English/Welsh ones (as a general rule, the further north you go, the cheaper the cost of living is, with it peaking around London - which sucks massively for me in Kent), but a) Scottish unis are harder to get in to because all Scottish students want to go there because they don't have to pay tuition fees, and b) I've heard from a couple of English people who've been to Scottish unis (Edinburgh and St. Andrews) that the Scottish students generally aren't very fond of the English people that go to their univerisites. :/

Yeah ya' fuckin' bastards >8( GET OUT

Scottish people are just like that. YOU HAVE YOUR OWN UNIVERSITIES THAT ARE BETTER WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU

To be fair, if I had to work ten times harder to get into a uni where I wouldn't have to pay because a bunch of kids who have their own unis and have to pay anyway were applying, I'd be a bit miffed.

Closest to Soctland I applied was Durham. Lovely town, but I'm kinda glad I didn't get in, because it took me the best part of ten hours to get from Devon to Kent yesterday, and Devon to Durham's about three times that distance ><

Yeeeeeaaaaahhhh <3

Scottish unis are generally cheaper to live at than English/Welsh ones (as a general rule, the further north you go, the cheaper the cost of living is, with it peaking around London - which sucks massively for me in Kent), but a) Scottish unis are harder to get in to because all Scottish students want to go there because they don't have to pay tuition fees, and b) I've heard from a couple of English people who've been to Scottish unis (Edinburgh and St. Andrews) that the Scottish students generally aren't very fond of the English people that go to their univerisites. :/

XD I'll definitely be studying Social Sciences as they call them in some way, but just the plain "Sociology" course might be the best for me, I think. Yay Sociology students! <3

Yeah... I guess it'll be harder to get into a Scottish one. :/ I just really like the sound of Edinburgh in particular, 'cause it's near where I used to live and I've got my granny there to visit. Plus I used to have the accent from around there, I'm terrified of going to Aberdeen and finding it really hard to understand what people are saying.

I suppose I should look at English unis first, though. Although about Scottish people being a bit iffy about English students, I tend to revert back to my Scottish accent a little when I visit my granny up there, so I don't think I should stand out too much.

You must have looked at a few unis Danni, do you know of any English ones that have particularly good Sociology courses? I pretty much know nothing about universities whatsoever, my older siblings and parents all went into the forces. >_>

Back
Top Bottom