• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

University Applications

I'm confident ish.

I need A*AA to get into my first choice. A* in maths, A in further maths, and an A in something else.

While I'm pretty sure I have an A* is both maths and physics, I'm not all that confident about getting an A in further maths. Hopefully if I get A*A*B I'll be okay.
As for computing, I'm probably getting a B in that, too.

Scottish students got their results on the fourth!
Was the result what you expected? :D

I need A*AA to get into my first choice. A* in maths, A in further maths, and an A in something else.
What's your first choice? I wasn't sure if there were any unis which had started requiring A*s.

HAHAHAHAHA I'm so terrified it's not even funny.

My first and only choice is Aberdeen because my firm fucked up everything ever, buuut I am basically getting prepared to whoosh straight into clearing.

Grabby's been literally sick with worry all evening ): She needs AAB to get into Leeds and I really, really want it to happen.

Another friend has been talking about throwing herself under a bus and things if she doesn't get the three As she needs for Oxford, and another friend missed uni entirely last year, and we're all hoping she doesn't again this.

Horrible, horrible time. Best of luck to all you guys! If it makes anybody feel at all better, I missed my first choice (and nearly missed my backup, lol), but in retrospect I'm really glad I ended up where I am.

I'm going to second what Danni said! I missed out on my first choice and everything turned out perfectly well! I love the people I've met and I'm actually quite glad I'm closer to home than five hours away. So wherever you end up, even if it's not your first or second choice, you'll probably enjoy it!

Good luck!

Well... UCAS doesn't open till 8am, but my school has sent out provisional results and it looks like I'll get into York. :D

A*s in History, English Literature and Critical Thinking, A in Geography
My original offer was for three As
Yeah, I'm feelin' pretty fine.

And yes, I've been F5ing on my email for the last hour. Barely got four hours sleep. :D

Oh I do adore pathetic fallacy. Lightning storm. Off to get them in an hour or so.

(Oh and yeah, it's only AS, but regardless AHHHH.)

I got A* in maths, and A in everything else. As in further maths and computing is a nice surprise but I'm more surprised about not getting an A* in physics.

AS results!

A in French - Always good, but the UMS score disappoints me a bit. Can't remember it right now, but I was hoping for slightly higher, considering that I'm repeatedly told I'm the best French pupil the school's had D: Might retake some of the papers purely for self-satisfaction. Might not.

B in Theatre Studies - I was expecting this, but I was hoping for an A in the written exam, like I did in all the mocks we did, rather than a B. Might retake the written.

C in Maths - Eh. I originally thought it was a B as I read the overly-complex table wrong, but I looked at it just now again when I got home and it was a C overall. I reckon I'll retake at least one of these exams. Probably the one I got a C in!

C in Physics - Ah well, I was never excellent at Physics, and I'm not continuing it next year anyway. I successfully got my lowest exam grade ever in one of the papers (D in Mechanics, yesssss), but I am glad I actually passed, as I was expecting to fail when I saw how difficult the course was at the start of last year.

C in General Studies - Oh well.

Britons! Will you help a poor soul make a choice, please.
Okay so I failed to get into any of my choices, so I was in Clearing. Woke up at 7AM today and was on the phone pretty much nonstop for five hours, and as a result, I have two offers: Leicester and Royal Holloway, History for the former and History and International Relations for the latter.

The problem I have is that I have no idea which one to accept D: the prices are pretty much the same, they're both quite close to London (RH more of course), and when I checked the ranking guides I just got confused, because Leicester is usually ranked amongst the better universities and it has good-looking stats overall (and also they were very nice of the phone but that's beside the point), but Royal Holloway is ranked higher than Leicester in the Guardian History ranking, so I have no idea what to do and I have to make a choice by 9AM tomorrow D:
Also Royal Holloway somehow misspelled my family name, address and the word "colleague", which is a bit weird. The guy on the phone was clueless ("oh blast, how do you spell Baccalaureate?") but very cute.

For some reason I was leaning more towards Leicester but Royal Holloway looks really good too and it's supposed to have a great reputation so errr.

EDIT: and I just got an offer from Essex?! aaaaa it's placed higher in the history ranking oh god

Last edited:
No one can spell baccalaureate, don't judge him for that. I would say RH, but only because I have a friend who goes there so I am a bit biased. :P

A* - Communication & Culture
B - Sociology
B - English Language

This means I got into Aberdeen!! :D I had set up everything for being in clearing five hours too, not necessary now!! Ahhh I'm so happy, pretty much everyone I know got into where they wanted which is just wonderful when we all stressed so much.

VPLJ: umm I would probably go for Essex but only because it's the only one I've heard more about than the name. if they all seem pretty much the same and you just can't choose, pick the one that looks the nicest! :D

My advice would be to look up the universities and the surrounding areas and decide which area you'd rather live in. Or, if you have time, look up the courses and pick the module you most like the look of? Or check which uni has the best facilities/is most LGBT-friendly/has the highest student satisfaction rating and things? I don't think rankings areally matter that much; just as long as you're happy :)

Back
Top Bottom