• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What are you reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dune isn't that long, and it's definitely worth it. I found the sequels to be somewhat superfluous, though.
it's not just that, but I kinda was kinda :| when I discovered the appendices. a fiction book with appendices is just a bit... :| for my liking.

sample title: "Appendix IV: The Almanak en-Ashraf (Selected Excerpts of the Noble Houses)"

I fear Dune may have to become something of an acquired taste.

My six book set of LotR has an appendix - interesting reading for the background but wholly unimportant in terms of the story. Just enjoy Tolkien's engaging and thoroughly interesting narrative!

Except Tolkien didn't write Dune, which is what they're actually talking about...

The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins (boring), and War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells (even more boring).

Yeah, I was just referencing like the one book I've read that has appendices.

I'm almost done with the Guide, and afterwords, I'm reading I Am Number Four.

Our English class is reading The Scarlet Letter, which I'm actually enjoying. Which is suprising because I usually dislike Hawthorne

Rereading Nineteen Minutes because I'm in a Jodi Picoult sorta mood. Her next book (which, as I understand it, is out in the States already, but not coming out here till April) is about gay rights and sounds fantastic :D

Making my way through The Birthday Letters by Ted Hughes. I have to say, it's not the best poetry I've read. I feel like Hughes is trying to be as confessional as Plath and failing hard. Also, there are way too many literary and mythological references. It's quite elitist really. And it's tediously repetitive. On their own, most of these poems are fantastic but compiled in a single volume? If I read the words "Daddy", "American" or "Germanic" one more time...

Just finished The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks. Fantastically creepy and twisted. I loved it.

Just finished The Way It Works by William Kowalski and In The Path Of Falling Objects by Andrew Smith. Both were really great, the second one creeped me out big time though.

Currently reading Almost Perfect by Brian Katcher and House Of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski

Let's see, this is my list of books I will read for school:

-The Thirteenth Tale (read)
-Interview WIth The Vampire (read)
-Jane Eyre (reading)
-The Secret Life of Bees (read)
-Pride and Prejudice (reading)
-Ender's Game (will read)

Last edited:
Hugo's Les Miserables. It is a rather hefty tome but the read so far has most certainly been quite worth it indeed.

Bought House of Leaves today, will see what all the fuss is about when I have time.

Do prepare yourself for extensively unorthodox and innovative uses of text.

Let's see, this is my list of books I will read for school:

-Interview WIth The Vampire (read)
-Ender's Game (will read)

rice and card in school? and you're fourteen? i'm impressed and confused.

reading the picture of dorian gray and nearly finished with it. just today, i bought the importance of being earnest (and four other plays) as well as a portrait of the artist as a young man and dubliners. i feel like i should continue into the wilde plays after i finish dorian gray but i'm extremely excited about starting the joyce, so i'll probably just do that. fuck the police.

i just realised i used no majuscules in this post and i kind of like it. who needs proper nouns, anyway?

Malice. Basically it's about a comic book that contains evile automatons and drags them inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom