• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What do you think of fellow forumgoers? (Again!)

people that are and continue to be awesome: chal, ..., vehement, sangfroidish/meowth, res
people that i think are awesome but haven't talked to a *lot* and would like to talk to more but for whatever reason i don't: tarvos, jolty, dannichu, butterfree, hiikaru, alraune, tailsy, flora, surskitty, spoon, cirrus

... yeah that's pretty much it because i'm boring and lazy and can't think of many people off the top of my head. if you want a more in-depth opinion i'll willingly give it though :p

I also like Equinoxe's art, but don't see much of them elsewhere.
oh my goddd I am now officially a person
but seriously, thanks!
I mostly exist in the art forum because I have lurk-a-licious personality (plus I rarely have anything meaningful to say, oops) so I'm genuinely surprised that I was mentioned here :P

My opinion is that most of you people are pretty cool?
I mean, for a pokemon forum, of all things, a majority of the active members are really smart and... respectable or something.
I'm not going to list any names because I'd probably forget someone fun and then feel bad about it. :B
I just wish people would stop changing their usernames because it's confusing and the 'hover over to see past usernames' feature that apparently exists doesn't work for me ughhh

People I've talked with who are awesome: Poly, Phantom, Lyra Heartstrings, Zero Moment, Tarvos, Coloursfall, yiran, res, Maimi
People whom I don't talk with but still think are awesome: Everyone else.

Seriously, you're all fantastic!

Just to continue my tradition of complaining about the most trivial things, if you're one of the people who do this (you know who you are):

Also pathos did my icon! Which is actually just part of a larger picture but.

but. end of sentence
(can also happen with 'so', and it's worse when it's in its own sentence rather than being at the end of one) Then you are worse than the Grinch >:c
I get that this happens in real life when you say a sentence, say but, then realise that the rest of the sentence is unnecessary because it's apparent that the person you're talking to understands.
I can only assume doing it here originated on #tcod since that is a real time way of communicating as well, so that's also understandable. I assume it's there specifically as well since this is the only website I've seen people write that. (well, one other but the person who did it was someone I'm fairly certain goes on #tcod)
But the forums are not real time. You have as much time as you need to write and edit your posts. If you think that the second half of a sentence is unnecessary, then why bother writing the conjunction?
The people who write in nocaps I get used to, but this makes me cringe every time I read it.
There are possible exceptions, for instance if the next sentence follows directly on from the last, but it was punctuated to get some sort of emphasis across that you can't really do in text in the absence of punctuation. If fact it wouldn't annoy me nearly as much if the people who did this used ellipses instead of full stops, since then at least it's reading as if the person would say it in real life!

Anyway just so I'm not a total Negative Nelly, I'll post about people I like once I'm not on my phone so I can more easily browse other areas of the forum or the member list.

nope people can write however they like!

I don't really get what the issue is because informal writing is very often all about representing natural, casual speech! I'm pretty sure Chal used the conjunction because it just felt pretty natural to do that. Quirks of writing are interesting linguistically, too!

on topic, I have a pretty negative opinion of any forumgoers who are unpleasant about language use :(

I never said people can't write however they like, I was just expressing my disgust at how unnatural it looks to read. It may feel natural to write (I personally can't see how though) but to me at least, if there aren't at least ellipses it just reads like there's a sudden interruption.

And while you're in this thread and I'm on the topic of writing styles that I dislike (ance the fact that at this point it'd be hard to dig my hole any deeper) what exactly are you trying to convey when you put tildes on both sides of a word? I get that it's some sort of emphasis, but due to the tilde's wavy nature, I can't interpret it as anything but that condescending/sarcastic kind of emphasis. You know the kind! "Well ~excuuuuse~ me, princess!"

Last edited:
Just to continue my tradition of complaining about the most trivial things, if you're one of the people who do this (you know who you are):

(can also happen with 'so', and it's worse when it's in its own sentence rather than being at the end of one) Then you are worse than the Grinch >:c
I get that this happens in real life when you say a sentence, say but, then realise that the rest of the sentence is unnecessary because it's apparent that the person you're talking to understands.
I can only assume doing it here originated on #tcod since that is a real time way of communicating as well, so that's also understandable. I assume it's there specifically as well since this is the only website I've seen people write that. (well, one other but the person who did it was someone I'm fairly certain goes on #tcod)
But the forums are not real time. You have as much time as you need to write and edit your posts. If you think that the second half of a sentence is unnecessary, then why bother writing the conjunction?
The people who write in nocaps I get used to, but this makes me cringe every time I read it.
There are possible exceptions, for instance if the next sentence follows directly on from the last, but it was punctuated to get some sort of emphasis across that you can't really do in text in the absence of punctuation. If fact it wouldn't annoy me nearly as much if the people who did this used ellipses instead of full stops, since then at least it's reading as if the person would say it in real life!
Because we're being colloquial here, I'm not going to be all snooty by commenting on your hilariously ironic lack of understanding of the grammar surrounding parentheses (though I could totally do that if I wanted to) and instead get straight to the point. I've seen people write like this in pretty much all informal settings I can think of: Facebook, text messages, forums... It's definitely not a #tcod thing; why would it be? People talk this way in real life, so it's only natural for them to write like that casually. Personally I think there's a subtle but noticeable difference between "but." and "but..." as well, though that's beside the point, so.

In any case, while it's important to know how to write "properly" (if only because it's a useful skill to have when, say, applying for a job or handing in an essay or mocking people), language is essentially just a tool; I don't care how it looks or what you do with it as long as it does what it's supposed to do (convey a message, that is).

(I've made liberal use of parentheses in this post, so that you may study and learn by example. Of course, I don't really care at all what you do with your parentheses, but.)

Photo Finish: It is mostly a sarcastic emphasis, yeah! I find tildes really useful, because people tend to complain that sarcasm is hard to read through writing! The thing about things like this is that people just start using them and then they organically start meaning different things and become complex and ugh wow it's so interesting I don't even know why I'm not taking linguistics as a major. Language is the coolest tool.

But often it's just a sort of jokey or teasing emphasis! It's not always negative or mean and the vast majority of the time I personally use tildes in a pretty light, fun way. Sometimes people think I'm being super-sarcastic and scornful when really I'm just using them self-referentially or something. :( So that's a problem. If anyone else could add their thoughts on the tilde ~phenomenon~ that would be nifty! does anyone else even find these kinds of things interesting too ehehe

And I'm aware you weren't literally telling anyone to stop writing in certain ways. :P I mean, that was fairly obvious! But when you make a huge post about how you hate it, the implication is that you'd prefer people to stop, when really you should probably accept this kind of thing instead of talking about why it makes no sense.

I can get it if you literally have trouble understanding it, though! I just sort of really did get used to it and then started doing it myself, sooo. It worked for me and it's a weird thing to stress over.

Because we're being colloquial here, I'm not going to be all snooty by commenting on your hilariously ironic lack of understanding of the grammar surrounding parentheses (though I could totally do that if I wanted to) and instead get straight to the point. I've seen people write like this in pretty much all informal settings I can think of: Facebook, text messages, forums... It's definitely not a #tcod thing; why would it be? People talk this way in real life, so it's only natural for them to write like that casually. Personally I think there's a subtle but noticeable difference between "but." and "but..." as well, though that's beside the point, so.

In any case, while it's important to know how to write "properly" (if only because it's a useful skill to have when, say, applying for a job or handing in an essay or mocking people), language is essentially just a tool; I don't care how it looks or what you do with it as long as it does what it's supposed to do (convey a message, that is).

(I've made liberal use of parentheses in this post, so that you may study and learn by example. Of course, I don't really care at all what you do with your parentheses, but.)

The fact that you intentionally go out of the way to end sentences that way is hilarious. Just like whenever there's a thread anywhere on the internet about swearing, people will always swear intentionally for no reason other than to annoy those who don't like it. I'm disappointed in you, MD. Your humour is usually much more original than this.

And I spent ages going back through that post editing out anything that might be wrong for the exact reason that people might call me out on it. I even made an intentional what I thought was a mistake because if it had been wrong the way I thought it was meant to be, it would be more noticable than if it had been wrong the way it is now. Do you have any idea how hard it is to keep a post that long formatted correctly when you're writing it on a phone?
Even more importantly though, it isn't ironic so I don't know why I even bothered putting so much effort into correcting as much as I could in the first place. Why? It wasn't a lack of understanding of something that I was complaining about, it was the delibarate use of a writing style that I find makes no sense. My lack of understanding of how brackets work means that I couldn't help it even if I wanted to.

Last edited:
But... you were literally just asking how sarcastic tildes function! And you're just coming off as really not getting how informal writing works. If it just happened to annoy you that would be fine but the fact that you're this confused about why people do it makes it seem like you don't understand it, surely?

People do these things because it's just how they want to talk. A forum thread is much more like a conversation than an essay, so it's just how it is. If we edited our thought processes to look like an essay then yeah, an essay would result. Instead, this!

The fact that you intentionally go out of the way to end sentences that way is hilarious. Just like whenever there's a thread anywhere on the internet about swearing, people will always swear intentionally for no reason other than to annoy those who don't like it. I'm disappointed in you, MD. Your humour is usually much more original than this.
Oh, that's low! It just hits too close to home, I'm sure. You'll be laughing tomorrow, trust me!

And I spent ages going back through that post editing out anything that might be wrong for the exact reason that people might call me out on it I even made an intentional what I thought was a mistake because if it had been wrong the way I thought it was meant to be, it would be more noticable than if it had been wrong the way it is now. Do you have any useless how hard it is to keep a post that long formatted correctly when you're writing it on a phone?
Even more importantly though, it isn't ironic so I don't know why I even bothered putting so much effort into correcting as much as I could in the first place. Why? It wasn't a lack of understanding of something that I was complaining about, it was the delibarate use of a writing style that I find makes no sense. My lack of understanding of how brackets work means that I couldn't help it even if I wanted to.
The wounded gazelle - my one weakness! Hrrm.

Look, my point is that getting hooked up on minor details when it comes to language is silly. So what if someone deliberately ends a sentence with a full stop instead of an ellipsis? Is that really a Grinch-level offense? Isn't it really petty to complain about something like that when, clearly, you still do understand what the writer means (you gave a fairly accurate description in the first post)? I don't actually care about parentheses or grammar or anything of the sort beyond basic comprehensibility, and I don't go around "expressing disgust" at it! Disgust is meant for things like violent crime and insects, not punctuation!

Oh, that's low! It just hits too close to home, I'm sure. You'll be laughing tomorrow, trust me!

The wounded gazelle - my one weakness! Hrrm.

Look, my point is that getting hooked up on minor details when it comes to language is silly. So what if someone deliberately ends a sentence with a full stop instead of an ellipsis? Is that really a Grinch-level offense? Isn't it really petty to complain about something like that when, clearly, you still do understand what the writer means (you gave a fairly accurate description in the first post)? I don't actually care about parentheses or grammar or anything of the sort beyond basic comprehensibility, and I don't go around "expressing disgust" at it! Disgust is meant for things like violent crime and insects, not punctuation!

I'm not entirely sure what wounded gazelle is, I assume it's along the lines of pretending to have some disadvantage (i.e. can't format on a phone) and use it as a defense?
I clearly admit in the second paragraph that I in fact don't know how to properly use brackets, my being on a phone is just the reason why it's probably so pronounced in that post.

I said people who do it are worse than the Grinch because I thought it would show that I'm bot trying to be taken entirely seriously. It was originally going to be 'worse than Hitler' to make it more obvious but then I realised that would come off worse if someone didn't realise I wasn't being entirely serious due to Godwin's Law.
I know it send like I'm backtracking here. It does actually bother me, I didn't make that part up, but I don't actually feel as strongly about it as I made out.

Last edited:
I'm not entirely sure what wounded gazelle is, I assume it's along the lines of pretending to jaw some disadvantage (i.e. can't format on a phone) as a defense?
Hurt feelings are my Achilles' heel. I'm pretty sure that's the only thing that separates me from the garden-variety troll, actually, though I suppose there's also my magnetic personality and fabulous hair. In any case, I am always extremely surprised when people are genuinely emotionally affected by the things I say, because honestly, I'm not Oscar Wilde or Socrates, I'm just a cat playing with balls of string. Or some kind of evil clown, I don't know - just look at this stuff I'm typing! Did I hurt your feelings? Okay, fine, I'm sorry I hurt your feelings! I'm still going to take your lunch money later today.

I said people who do it are worse than the Grinch because I thought it would show that I'm bot trying to be taken entirely seriously. It was originally going to be 'worse than Hitler' but then I realised that would come off worse if someone didn't realise I wasn't being entirely serious due to Godwin's Law.
I know it send like I'm backtracking here. It does actually bother me, I didn't make that part up, but I don't actually feel as strongly about it as I made out.
Yes, well - suffice it to say that it bothered me that it bothered you and that you voiced that botheredness. Attempted acerbic wit is my coping strategy for botheredness.

Photo Finish: It is mostly a sarcastic emphasis, yeah! I find tildes really useful, because people tend to complain that sarcasm is hard to read through writing! The thing about things like this is that people just start using them and then they organically start meaning different things and become complex and ugh wow it's so interesting I don't even know why I'm not taking linguistics as a major. Language is the coolest tool.

But often it's just a sort of jokey or teasing emphasis! It's not always negative or mean and the vast majority of the time I personally use tildes in a pretty light, fun way. Sometimes people think I'm being super-sarcastic and scornful when really I'm just using them self-referentially or something. :( So that's a problem. If anyone else could add their thoughts on the tilde ~phenomenon~ that would be nifty! does anyone else even find these kinds of things interesting too ehehe

I use tildes on both sides of a word to indicate sarcasm or a joking manner. However my friends and I have developed a very specific, special usage of a single tilde at the end of a word to indicate flirting/suggestiveness. I once used a tilde in an otherwise properly-grammar'd stupid fanfic I wrote to illustrate this very concept. We even decided that the tilde was a letter of its own, because some things we tried to say just couldn't be communicated with the proper emotion without a ~ at the end, and we came up with the "tilde noise", which sounds roughly like "rrrrrRRRRRrrr" (kind of if you're trying to do a consistent rolling your r's except without actually rolling your r's that has a slight raise in pitch in the middle) and it cannot be done without being accompanied by a suggestive eyebrow raise.

also to add to the grammar conversation: i used to be a serious grammar freak, both in real life and on the internet. then i realized that it was so much easier to convey the emotions i wanted to project by ignoring all rules of english syntax. this has led to me pathetically pouting "Make!" to a friend while shaking a fork trying to get a sausage to fall off of it. However, that expressed my emotions better than saying "I need help getting this sausage off my fork and I'm frustrated about it!" Similarly, the time I yelled out "I HAVE BEEN UNDERSTOODING THIS!" in the middle of music theory class - what that was supposed to say was "I am finally understanding this, and I am so happy about it that I have forgotten that 'understood' is past tense and thus does not work with -ing!" only i actually EXPRESSED that "forgetfulness" by way of yelling "I have been understooding this!" because it was what was happening. if that makes sense.

that extends to my forum dialect as well - while my friends know me well enough that "Make!" "I have been understooding this!" and "Make thing happen occur. Find thing. Yes." make perfect sense, I can't exactly translate that to forum dialogue. Instead this results in run-on sentences with some words being put in weird places because that is the best way for me to express myself. Also, beginning a sentence with a lowercase letter gives the sentence a different feel than an uppercase one, so sometimes I juxtapose uppercase and lowercase starting letters in order to achieve the desired effect. I can't explain what the differences are; all I know is my writing and speaking really has a reason for existing the way it does and it's more nuanced than it would appear at first glance.

Last edited:
It really irritates me when people say things like 'grammar nazi' or 'femminazi'. Learn what a nazi is, geez.

Back
Top Bottom