• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What do you want to do as a job when you're older?

Graphic designer. I'm interested in it and everyone I know says I'd do excellently in that field.

More unrealistically, I'd want to defeat the giant monkey-man and save the ninth dimension. 8]

But would you rather do A-levels you enjoy and then pretty much fuck yourself over because they're not what you want to do for a job or spend two more years at A-level?

I thought I'd be happy doing law but it turns out that I'm really, really not. I'm only going to be happy if I'm doing science, I think.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from doing what you want to do, I'm just trying to give you more things to think about [because it seriously helps to get it right the first time which is rather what I failed to do]
I suppose that's a good argument, but in the end it's just much less heartache and risk if I go for an English/History/German combination. I love all three subjects, I'm good at them and aside from History they all hold quite a bit of practical worth for several of the jobs that I've considered.

Musician is the first thought that comes to mind, and if not that, maybe a therapist. Two very similar fields, I know.

I suppose that's a good argument, but in the end it's just much less heartache and risk if I go for an English/History/German combination. I love all three subjects, I'm good at them and aside from History they all hold quite a bit of practical worth for several of the jobs that I've considered.

I guess that everyone has to make their own decisions. I mean, I'm probably unhappy because I was already doing the sciences that I needed but I dropped them in favour of history and law.

It was after I dropped them that I realised I wouldn't be happy unless I "followed my dream," so to speak. I'd also take four A-levels in the first year and drop one in the second. It looks better on university applications.

Which English are you doing, by the way? English language, literature or Engish combined? [The distinction matters.]

Which English are you doing, by the way? English language, literature or Engish combined? [The distinction matters.]
In terms of GCSEs, we do exams in both lit and lang. Dunno if that's what you mean by combined. xD

In terms of GCSEs, we do exams in both lit and lang. Dunno if that's what you mean by combined. xD

Harlequin's referring to A-levels.

Edit:

But would you rather do A-levels you enjoy and then pretty much fuck yourself over because they're not what you want to do for a job or spend two more years at A-level?

It depends what goldenquagsire thinks education is for and how pragmatic he wants to be.

If you're going to get a degree, the only purpose your A-levels will serve is to get you into university.

Last edited:
I just finished Year 10. Yeah, I know I should have a little more thought towards my A-level choices, but I really just want to see where my strengths lie. I'll use what I have of Year 11 to make certain.

Content in IT, although I am gradually accumulating more hats to wear and I doubt I want to be doing my current exact job forever.

. I'd also take four A-levels in the first year and drop one in the second. It looks better on university applications.

I'd suggest you take four just so you can choose to drop one at the end of the year; I wanted to just do philosophy and ethics (combined subject - practically useless, but great fun), chemistry and biology, but they told me to take a fourth one and I picked psyhology just because it fitted in with the option blocks.
Now I'm so grateful they made me take the extra one because I'd have spent all of last year doing bio and chem and I'd probably have killed myself. :/

It depends what goldenquagsire thinks education is for and how pragmatic he wants to be.
Essentially, I'm a little of both. I'd choose some form of English because it would be useful in several of my possible careers, AND I enjoy it AND I'm decently good at it. Same applies to German. History... is my guilty pleasure. For all intents and purposes, it's about as useful as Ancient Greek, but I love it so much that I have to take it.

If you're going to get a degree, the only purpose your A-levels will serve is to get you into university.
I didn't think they had any other point. O_o

I didn't think they had any other point. O_o

You said:

I love all three subjects, I'm good at them and aside from History they all hold quite a bit of practical worth for several of the jobs that I've considered.

And I'm saying that very few A-levels provide anything more than general knowledge and UCAS points. They are not of very much practical worth other than that.

In order:

Tied for first (so I would try doing both at once, as one doesn't require constant work):

Trading Card Game Designer *glares at his lawyer for not contacting me about the progress on the patent for my game yet*
Veterinarian

Tied for Second:

Doctor
Commission Work (Art)

Third:

Professional Spriter (I am actually getting better! :D)

Fourth:

Video Game Designer

Yeah, I have plenty of back up plans :D

Personally, I wouldn't mind doing two insane and completely different things, so you can all laugh or go 'WHUT? Yewwwww!'

For one thing, animation, working for a company like Rareware (hey, I like those guys!) or any other game company, Universal Studios, and maybe even work closely with someone on Adult Swim or some other show. I know someone who works with the guy who did Courage the Cowardly Dog.

I learned from a teacher-now-employer who worked with Marvel that art alone, unless you're lucky, probably won't support you. So I'm considering enlisting in the Army or Air Force and find a job I like in there. Like, drive a tank or something. It'd expand my sights (unless a jihad blows me up).

In a nutshell, toons and military, usually a bad mix. But I'm a very strange person. ;P

I'd love to be a nature photographer for craft fairs or a magazine or part-time photographer for commisioners. Most art jobs would be all right with me as well.

Back
Top Bottom