• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Whirlpool vs. Pathos

(I like how you removed the magnet. :D)

Alright, I'll send out Holly the cottonee.

Right then! Start off by Encoring that chill. Is good for us, is good for them, yup. If he protects, switch that to a Growth, which is only good for us. If he protected, Encore that protect; otherwise, Leech Seed and Toxic. If he's protecting due to encore, just create a cloud of Poison Powder and go in it and breath in real hard.

Encore / Growth ~ Encore / Leech Seed ~ Toxic / Poison Powder

2v2 single
Style: Set
DQ: 7 days
Damage Cap: 35%
Banned Moves: OHKOs, Earthquake, Draco Meteor (moves that would change the terrain signifigantly)
Arena: Forina

A large, cavernous valley in Hoenn with large pillars of stone shooting up from the ground.

This is the resting place of Jirachi as it sleeps for millennia in a cavern. As such, Steel- and Psychic-type moves are boosted by 2% here. Jirachi’s power to grant wishes is evident here as well: if a Pokémon is below 50% in both health and energy, there is a 2% chance each round that that Pokémon will have its wish subconsciously granted by Jirachi and regain 10% in health and energy.

Also, each round there is a 15% (5% each) chance that a wild Absol, Flygon, or Nuzleaf will pop out from the rocks and use a 5% Dark-, Dragon-, or Grass-type move on a random battler.

So, uh, basically this and this.

Pathos, after recalling his Magnemite, throws out another Poké Ball—Or more specifically, a Great Ball. Out of it pops a nice little ball of white fluff, which looks out at the world curiously.

Round Ten Begin!

Team Whirlpool ØO
larvesta
[Flare] Larvesta (F)
Ability: Flame Body
Health: 27%
Energy: 64%
Status: "…What just happened?" Special Attack -2. Special Defense +2.

Team Pathos ØO
cottonee @ brightpowder
[Holly] Cottonee
Ability: Prankster
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%

Holly thinks a little. How could she persuade Flare to keep chilling…? She’d have to fabricate a little. “Hey,” the Cottonee says, catching Flare’s attention, “I was watching from inside my Poké Ball. The way you were chilling out there? Oh, that was sweet! You looked all cool and, like, laid back, and it was, like, awesome!” Flare thinks about that. It’s what the Cottonee wants to see, and that might make her let up later in the battle. Also, it’s not like taking a rest is going to kill her; one can never get too much sleep! The Larvesta closes her eyes and dozes off lightly. I’ll wake up in a moment, she thinks.

On the other side of the battlefield, Holly looks at her sleeping opponent. Woohoo, less work for her! The Cottonee shuffles her leaves together, and suddenly a seed has appeared in one of them. She throws the seed at Flare, and upon hitting it embeds itself into the bug’s fur. Almost immediately, it opens and sprouts a little vine into her body. Soon, it’s sucking energy out of Flare and sending it to Holly. The Cottonee enjoys the extra health, but unfortunately she can’t use it yet.

While Flare continues to doze, Holly wastes no time in making her next move. The Cottonee makes a glob of poison appear on one leaf. Looking at the purple sludge, she shudders. I wouldn’t want to take this attack! With that thought, she throws the purple blob of poison at Flare. It scores a direct hit, sinking into the bug’s skin and soaking into her bloodstream. The vile sensation wakes Flare up, and she looks around worriedly to try to figure out why she feels so sick.

Round Ten End!

Team Whirlpool ØO
larvesta
[Flare] Larvesta (F)
Health: 24%
Energy: 94%
Status: Keeping on Chillin’, even though she isn’t tired. Special Attack -2. Special Defense +2. Badly poisoned (Light; 1% this round, 2% next); Seeded.

Team Pathos ØO
cottonee @ brightpowder
[Holly] Cottonee
Energy: 87%

Damage and Energy Calculations
•Encore: 5% energy
•Chill: restored 10% energy
•Leech Seed: 4% energy
•Toxic: 4% energy

Arena Notes
•The sunlight is harsh. (2 more actions)
•There is a very large crater in the middle of the arena.

Notes:
•Very laid-back round we have here.

Next Round:
•Whirlpool attacks
•Pathos attacks
•I ref

Morning Sun with all that nice energy, then do a Flare Blitz + Acrobatics combo. If you get taunted the first action, change that up to Fire Blast (x3). If Holly protects the action you do the combo, switch to Flare Blitz and Acrobatics separately.

Morning Sun/Fire Blast ~ (Flare Blitz + Acrobatics)/Fire Blast/Flare Blitz ~ Fire Blast/Acrobatics

Yeah, I really don't want that morning sun, so go ahead and Taunt. ... Okay, then Growth while the sun is still up and Facade.

Taunt ~ Growth ~ Facade

2v2 single
Banned Moves: OHKOs, Earthquake, Draco Meteor (moves that would change the terrain signifigantly)

A large, cavernous valley in Hoenn with large pillars of stone shooting up from the ground.

This is the resting place of Jirachi as it sleeps for millennia in a cavern. As such, Steel- and Psychic-type moves are boosted by 2% here. Jirachi’s power to grant wishes is evident here as well: if a Pokémon is below 50% in both health and energy, there is a 2% chance each round that that Pokémon will have its wish subconsciously granted by Jirachi and regain 10% in health and energy.

Also, each round there is a 15% (5% each) chance that a wild Absol, Flygon, or Nuzleaf will pop out from the rocks and use a 5% Dark-, Dragon-, or Grass-type move on a random battler.

Pathos, after recalling his Magnemite, throws out another Poké Ball—Or more specifically, a Great Ball. Out of it pops a nice little ball of white fluff, which looks out at the world curiously.

Round Eleven Begin!

Team Whirlpool ØO
larvesta
[Flare] Larvesta (F)
Health: 24%
Energy: 94%
Status: Keeping on Chillin’, even though she isn’t tired. Special Attack -2. Special Defense +2. Badly poisoned (Light; 1% this round, 2% next); Seeded.

Team Pathos ØO
cottonee @ brightpowder
[Holly] Cottonee
Energy: 87%

Holly looks up at the sunlight. That would make an easy way for Flare to heal herself. But that would be bad. So she hops over to the Larvesta. “Hey,” she says in a confrontational tone, “What’s wrong? Are you too scared to attack me? What was the point of doing all that lying around last round? Are you gonna try to actually win this thing? Or are you just gonna sit back and cower like a baby?” As she hops back to her side of the battlefield, she is pretty satisfied with her speech.

Flare gapes at her opponent, dropping the idea of healing. That little twerp would have the gall to insult her about not attacking, when all it did last round was attack indirectly. And that stupid fluffball was the one that FORCED her to only Chill the last round. How dare she! Instead of forming an Morning Sun, the Larvesta gathers a huge fireball , and shoots it at Holly. Upon contact, it explodes into the five-pointed Kanji for “Big”. It’s even bigger due to the sun, which is helping the attack along. Holly gasps feverishly in pain, even after the blast is gone; her leaf is ruined! It’s still there, but a live flame sits on it, painfully for her. Thankfully, it doesn’t look like it’ll spread.

Maybe, Holly thinks, if I make myself bigger, the flame will grow smaller by comparison. It seems like a viable strategy for her, and the Cottonee begins to grow, until she’s about a foot taller and the rest of her body is that much bigger. She’d have no trouble putting power behind her attacks now, but unfortunately her burn has increased with her body. Dang it, that thing was supposed to go away!

But Flare isn’t done yet. The Larvesta opens her mouth once again, and spews out a large ball of fire. Once again, gathering power from the sun as it flies toward Holly, it hits the poor puffball and explodes into another 大, burning Holly even more. This time, however, the pain seems to be reduced somehow. Holly isn’t sure exactly how, but it doesn’t hurt as much. Maybe that Growth really did help. At least it doesn’t provide another burn this time…

Even if that last Fire Blast didn’t burn her, she’s had to live with this burn for way too long. She’s pretty angry about that. Suddenly, in a quick burst, she leaps forward, albeit slower to cause her less pain, and turns her pain into power, headbutting Flare as hard as she can out of revenge for her Burn. The Larvesta is thrown back a few feet, and immediately shoots another Fire Blast at Holly in retaliation. This one, however, misses her by a little and hits a rock wall instead, scorching a nice 大 on it. She’s getting tired, though. She doesn’t know how long she can keep this up.

Round Eleven End!

Team Whirlpool ØO
larvesta
[Flare] Larvesta (F)
Health: 4%
Energy: 73%
Status: Barely hanging on. Special Attack -2. Special Defense +2. Badly poisoned (Light; 2% this round, 3% next); Seeded.

Team Pathos ØO
cottonee @ brightpowder
[Holly] Cottonee
Health: 67%
Energy: 72%
Status: "Owwwwwww……" Attack +2. Special Attack +2. Burned (Severe; 3% per round, extra energy on attacks requiring movement)​

•Taunt: 4% energy
•Fire Blast: 27% damage, 7% energy
•Growth: 3% energy
•Fire Blast: 27% damage, 7% energy
•Façade: 15% damage, 8% energy
•Fire Blast: 7% energy

Arena Notes

Notes:
•Sunny Day again would have just renewed the existing sun.
•The first Fire Blast burned Holly.
•Holly hit the damage, cap on action 2.
•The third Fire Blast missed.
•Whirlpool, in your commands you said “if you get taunted on action 1, switch to Fire Blast (x3). So Flare used Fire Blast thrice.
•Façade’s power was boosted due to Holly’s Burn. However, that burn impaired her movement, so it got a slight reduction in power.

Next Round:
•Pathos attacks
•Whirlpool attacks
•I ref

Last edited:
... Um. One, larvesta was ordered to use morning sun, not sunny day. Two, Growth gives +2 to attack/sp. atk in bright sunlight.

...Oh. I didn't notice the first thing, but it still doesn't change the reffing. Second, I did not know that.

Look, Superbird, quick reffings are one thing, but perhaps you should think them out a bit. Research items before reffing, especially if idk one of the battlers is holding them. Consider asking the battler what they meant when they said DC (seriously 'dino child' wtf I can't even) if you don't know what they meant. This isn't a competition for fastest ref.

:/ Oh, and 100 - 35 = 65, not 67%.

^ Holly gets leech seed recovery.

Facade all the way through. If he protects/detects/whatever, just Chill.

Facade / Chill x3

Okay, never mind that.

Now that I look over this, Flare should have gotten +1 speed about three rounds ago from Flame Charge (hey nitpicking to get a chance to win).

But I'm going to ignore that, so use some weird Endure + Morning Sun thing and Flare Blitz after. If the first combination is impossible, just Endure and nothing (x2).

(Endure + Morning Sun)/Endure ~ Flare Blitz/nothing ~ nothing

ty improbable combinations

Holly did get Leech Seed recovery. And reffing when I have time.

EDIT: Oh, didn't see that post.

Last edited:
2v2 single

Round Twelve Begin!

Team Whirlpool ØO
larvesta
[Flare] Larvesta (F)
Health: 4%
Energy: 73%
Status: Barely hanging on. Special Attack -2. Special Defense +2. Badly poisoned (Light; 2% this round, 3% next); Seeded.

Team Pathos ØO
cottonee @ brightpowder
[Holly] Cottonee
Health: 67%
Energy: 72%
Status: "Owwwwwww……" Attack +2. Special Attack +2. Burned (Severe; 3% per round, extra energy on attacks requiring movement)​

Flare gasps again. She’s aching, and she knows she’s about to faint. But maybe she can heal herself...But then, seeing Holly come charging forward again with another reddish aura surrounding her body as she converts pain into power, she tries her hardest to endure the blow. Holly strikes Flare with an impressive force, just as strong as before. But this time, Flare stands her ground, staying in place after the attack. But just as Holly begins to wonder how her opponent survived that, the Larvesta’s poisoning takes hold of her. Flare falls to the side, eyes closed.

Game, Set, aaand Match!

Team Whirlpool ØØ
larvesta
[Flare] Larvesta (F)
Health: 0%
Energy: 62%

Team Pathos ØO
cottonee @ brightpowder
[Holly] Cottonee
Health: 68%
Energy: 64%

•Endure: 11% energy
•Façade: 15% damage, 8% energy

Arena Notes

Notes:
•I didn’t think it would be easy at all to focus on enduring a hit and healing at the same time, so that combo turned out impossible.
•Poisoning KOed Flare on the end of action 1.

That was a fun battle to ref, even if I did make way too many mistakes in the process. My apologies for that; but now comes the best part; the prizes! Pathos gets $16, I get $10, and Whirlpool gets $6, if I’m not mistaken. Zerzin, Holly, and Flare all get 2 EXP, while Hydra gets 1. Once again, thanks for a fun battle to ref!

I totally would have won if I had that +1 speed. And without parahax. D:

But ignore my whining. Good battle.

(Where were you getting +1 speed?)

Anyhow, yay, it's finally done! :D And I can get a whimsicott. Thanks for reffing, Superbird! And good battle, Whirlpool.

Back
Top Bottom