• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Boy Scouts of America

Re: BSA?

I didn't know this, but if this is true it's kind of stupid. So they won't allow atheists, but they will allow Jews, Muslims, Sikhs, etc? Even, say, Satanists? (I'm assuming this is a Christian thing.) So they shouldn't allow any non-Christian religions if they're not going to allow atheists, right? Doesn't make much sense to me. :\

Not all Satanists believe in God. The most important branch of Satanism, LaVeyan Satanism, doesn't believe in a Christian God reversed either. Their sort of Satanism is more a sort of megalomaniac atheism.

Well if it's non-mandatory and non-government run, then they can choose who they want to enroll. :/
I mean, to me it's the same as female-only gyms. Then again, Scouts of Australia is unisex and isn't to any particular religion, so I don't have much experience with what you're talking about.

(But at least they do interesting things, unlike the girl scouts who learn how to /sell cookies/ for some reason)
Which is probably why my mom was a boy scout, not a girl scout.

I think scouting in general is stupid but the Boy Scouts of America are a bigoted and stupid organisation that should be forced to allow people of all religions, sexualities, sexes and genders.

People say "they should but we can't force them to" but that's wrong. If an organisation said "NO BLACKS" people'd be up in arms over it and said organisation would be shut down or forced to allow blacks.

It should work the same way for gays and atheists and stuff.

Not all Satanists believe in God. The most important branch of Satanism, LaVeyan Satanism, doesn't believe in a Christian God reversed either. Their sort of Satanism is more a sort of megalomaniac atheism.

I know this, but the thing is, Satanism is obviously very intolerant of Christianity, or at least, attacking it in a way. You'd think that if they didn't allow atheists, just because they happen not to be Christian, they would also not allow Satanists, whose religion is basically a "fuck you" towards Christianity.

How does Satanism attack Christianity? LaVeyan Satanism merely states that you, yourself, as an individual should try to transcend humanity and become God. It does not attack Christianity. I don't think it says anywhere in the Satanic Verses or the Satanic Bible that you must attack Christians.

The Satanic maxim is 'I am my own God."

Of course they do denounce the existence of any other Gods and don't agree with Christianity on the existence of God, and are practically atheist, but it isn't intended as an inversion of Christianity.

As a privately owned and privately funded organization, they have the right to have whatever absurd restrictions they like on entry. Do I agree? No; religion doesn't affect how you can do as a Boy Scout. If it has a direct effect on someone's capability in a position, it makes sense. Having, say, an atheist priest is ridiculous for obvious reasons. Otherwise, there's no reason not to allow atheists/agnostics/homosexuals to be in a position. Indeed, it's even less likely for sexuality to effect your potential. But they have rights, and it'd be every bit as bad if they were deprived of them.

I'm a boy scout. The only thing I can say is I don't want any Homosexuals in my troop. For the most part, it is pretty stupid. But I'll be done as soon as I get my eagle. All I have to do is finish the paperwork.

The only thing I really don't like about it is I have a week scout camp next week, so I have to postpone making my new RPG. Oh well. I'll have time to think about plot twists.

I think not allowing agnostics, atheists, and gays is... I can't understand why.

I mean not believing in God is one thing.

But being gay? Why should you be declined entrance just because of that?

As a privately owned and privately funded organization, they have the right to have whatever absurd restrictions they like on entry. Do I agree? No; religion doesn't affect how you can do as a Boy Scout. If it has a direct effect on someone's capability in a position, it makes sense. Having, say, an atheist priest is ridiculous for obvious reasons. Otherwise, there's no reason not to allow atheists/agnostics/homosexuals to be in a position. Indeed, it's even less likely for sexuality to effect your potential. But they have rights, and it'd be every bit as bad if they were deprived of them.

So does that mean that the BSA could deny blacks or people of other ethnic origins, then? Because denying gays is the same as that.

So does that mean that the BSA could deny blacks or people of other ethnic origins, then? Because denying gays is the same as that.
Technically, it can't, IIRC. Anti-segregation laws. That is a problem- but the problem is with the laws regarding that. The BSA exercises their rights- I don't agree with their stance, but it's their choice to make.

If an organisation can't discriminate on the basis of race then why should they be allowed to discriminate on the basis of sexuality?

It's the same thing - it's not as if gays can stop being gay any more than blacks can stop being black.

Sure. Why not? There are plenty of African-American Heritage Clubs at my school that I can't join. :[

@ Harlequin: Actually, I think scientists are making some kind of drug that stops people from being gay. They are testing it on Goats.

@ Harlequin: Actually, I think scientists are making some kind of drug that stops people from being gay. They are testing it on Goats.
That's just.... appalling.... then again.... it wouldn't surprise me that some people want stuff like this to be made.

This is only in America, right?

Scout groups around here don't seem to give a crap much, even if they are a little "whoo Christianity".

Okay, I was just randomly thinking, but what happened if one boy scout sudenly begame an atheist, or discovered that they were homosexual. What would happen then? Would they get kicked out?

Back
Top Bottom