• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Boy Scouts of America

Re: BSA?

But there are people that want their sexuality changed. This is a good thing for them! I'm all for people using surgery, medicine, etc. to change themselves until they can be happy and confident with themselves. Why should someone be denied something that helps that?

But, ah, that's another debate there...

The issue isn't in the sex change or the sexuality or their looks. Most of these things hinge on people's self-confidence. Unless that person is diagnosed with gender dysfunctionality or something, which is entirely possible, it's mostly an issue of confidence that needs to be dealt with. These people need to be happy with themselves regardless of who or what they are. You can change the outside, but it's just like putting a different mask on yourself. It doesn't change who you are inside, and that is truly where the problems lie.

But there are people that want their sexuality changed. This is a good thing for them! I'm all for people using surgery, medicine, etc. to change themselves until they can be happy and confident with themselves. Why should someone be denied something that helps that?

But, ah, that's another debate there...

Of course, and I agree with you, but the thinking that prompts such thoughts in homosexuals ["I want to be straight because being gay is wrong"] shouldn't exist in the first place.

If we attack the causes of homophobia and discrimination in general the world will be a better place and I for one see the gay rights movement as an equal to black civil rights in America or women being allowed the vote et cetera.

Okay, so the thread's just a teeny bit old now and has veered away from its original topic, but it's relevant enough and I'm curious and want an answer.

I went to a classmate's Eagle Scout ceremony; part of what he did was explain what he had to do to get his Eagle. I'm fairly sure he said that only the Eagle was denied to atheists (he didn't mention homosexuality, etc.) and that boys who didn't believe in some sort of deity could never reach that highest rank; I seem to recall him saying that atheists could still join or whatever. Perhaps I just heard him wrong or he was being vague for whatever reason, or maybe, eh... his troop is just different (would that even work?), but if that is in fact what he said then could someone clarify?

What are you people talking about I was a girl scout and I learned to con people out of their money using only addictive sweets how is that not a useful skill D:

I was a boyscout for a year or so, but then I was like "Wait, you want me to go to church? Fuck that."

Ok, I just got back from 5 weeks at a BSA summercamp.
I was an employee there as a lifeguard.
I have also been in the program for around 12 years now.
most of the other staff at the camp has been in the program for a long period of time as well. All but 4 of them who were over 18 smoked and 2 that were under 18 did as well.

At least half the staff was not christian. Most were atheist or at least agnostic. And most of them had thier Eagle Scout.
And when it comes to the homosexuality aspect. one of my friends out there on staff was a bisexual. And boyscouts doesnt disallow homosexuals from enrolling. It just does not alow them to attain the rank of eagle scout.
Also there is absolutley no enforcable rule that says you have to religous to be a member. Just the twellth point of the scout law: Reverent, which doesnt neccessarily mean religously reverent.

No we didnt show this side to the kids at the camp btw.

And when it comes to the homosexuality aspect. one of my friends out there on staff was a bisexual. And boyscouts doesnt disallow homosexuals from enrolling. It just does not alow them to attain the rank of eagle scout.
"You can still join, you'll just never be as good as us straights!"

Umm yeah only 2% of scouts ever get thier eagle. So its not like all straights can do it, and Homosexuals just can't. Also an Eagle Scout is supposed to be a paragon of the scouting way, which like it or not does not include being a homosexual. Also my Bisexual friend, Eric Roman, didnt seem half as bitter as yall about him not being able to get his Eagle. He really didn't care.

I'm really, really happy for your friend Eric Roman.

I don't care if they don't allow homosexuals in the scouts at all - they're privately funded, so they can do whatever the hell they want. However, denying them the eagle seems almost cruel. It's like waving a bone in front of a dog's face and then throwing it off of a cliff.

(no but I get free cookies and free stuff and it's the skill set that matters in the end! Now that I'm not part of the organization I can use those finely honed skills for my own selfish ends. Ahaha.)

So... uh. That means my friend was right, then... right? That's what I thought.

I just got my eagle last Sunday. I get the award on the 27th of August, and then I don't have to worry about it ever again.

boy scouts suck. my friend is in boy scouts, and he says its awesome, but i think its crap. Im not atheist or homosexual, but people who are should be treated fairly.

Girl Scouts > Boy Scouts. We allow everyone. :3

But seriously, having both attended camps by and worked for the Girl Scouts organization for about nine years now, I'd say it's a great group, not only far more liberal than the Boy Scouts, but also it gives young girls an opportunity to lean many new skills (not just how to get people to buy cookies, BTW) and generally be confident people. I have a lot of respect for them.

Oh, and we do a lot more than just sell cookies. Though that's where a lot of our money comes from. And they are friggin' amazing.

There was a boy scouts troupe open to girls a while ago, but they couldn't fully advance through the scout levels. Mom joined.

I didn't even know they didn't let agnostics or atheists in
well it looks like that system is flawed because I was a boy scout in my younger days
I guess I just pretended to be christian to make the adults happy when I was a lad or something
lots of kids do

haha i've never pretended anything.

but, in our family, we don't talk about religion overly often. i guess it just doesn't get brought up, so there's no reason for me to go and talk about being athiest.

Back
Top Bottom