• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Open Brave New World

Raicha raised her nose in the air when Xhan spoke of Opal as if having the enemy near humans was no big deal. Especially since the Nidorina was trying to eat one amongst them!

"I can't say that I agree with you, hm." said Raicha to Xhan without bothering to look in his direction. The scarcity of humans was reason enough to be decisive in taking down any threat, big or small.

Raicha scrunched her nose seeing the dramatic increase in the single foe. Sure, they were harmless but the real one was still among them. Once the Nidorina came to a stop she offered a deal.

"What makes you think we can trust any deal you may have to propose, hm?" Her furry paws were bawled into tight fists at her side as she held back the urge to attack.

Opal sniggered as she began to pace around, as well as the double teams. "Well unlike SOME creatures..." All the Opals shot a dirty look to the trainer "I'm only interested in surviving, that and there's about three of you against just me, so I'm in no position to break a promise."

"If that human is of significance to you, all I ask is that you lead a different one, perhaps one of the little ones, to me. If you do that, I'll gladly leave you in peace." She knew they weren't going to like that offer but darn it, she needed the meat! "Or, if I get regular feeding, I'll even fight for your silly cause of enslaving pokemon." again the copies began to pace in a circle around the four "Humans are everywhere, right? I just need one a week, it'll make no difference in the bigger picture, will it?"

Payden nodded a bit before falling to sleep himself. He could feel Bran flutter onto the bed to keep him warm and Bun slink under the bed for the dark. Vyne simply laid where he was, seeing no use in moving and lets his eyes close, sensing that it was rather safe here at the moment.

Kupo on the other hand was drifting over the bed, looking to the door and wondering what was to come. Now that the other were asleep, her worries took surface. She worried about Payden's wife and his baby. She worried about their fate if they were found hiding. She worried about the pokemon here and what may befall them if they were discovered.

She was worried what may of happened to the Old Togekiss that was a large part of her life before.

She tried to clear her head, only making her worries double in vain.Glancing back to the sleeping party, she decides a simple float into the hall may be the thing she needs. Bidding them a silent farewell, she slips out of the door and begins her exploration to busy her mind. Now and then she would crackle with static, sensing the others of her kind flirting about the house. It didn't bother her that she may be under watch, she was rather flattered by it to be honest since these were not pokemon that wanted to hurt them.

"...No matter what is to come, I hope for a better world where we are all happy...God how I miss you, Old Man."

Glum stopped at the end of the hall as he heard the crackling of static, and turned to see Kupo floating out of the room. He heard her comment and floated over. "It seems I am not the only one who misses someone... or one who hopes for times like before...." The Dusknoir commented, keeping pace with the Rotom. "If only... indeed...."

Glum was quiet for a short while after his comment, and then started humming a soft tune. It was a nice melody, and as he hummed it, he looked around, and a tear formed in his eye. His mind wandered as the tune continued, and he couldn't help but think more about those who left them, including her... how could she betray him, betray them all? He stopped humming and it trailed off into a "hmph" sound, and he stopped where he was for a moment, staring at who knows what. Suddenly, he haphazardly tossed a shadow ball where he deemed fit, nearly hitting Kupo and shattering a vase on a shelf nearby.

Raicha arched her back as she failed to contain her anger and gritted her teeth more obviously than before. The sparks dancing at her cheeks were even bigger and louder.

"You scum! You monster!" she shrieked before springing up and curling her body. Zipping through the clones in a Rollout charged with electricity having combined Volt Tackle with it, she hoped to nail the original before she could flee.

----

Yuna was out hunting again. Her large shadow raced across the earth beneath her as she searched for her fifth snack of the day. Her sharp claws were tucked in against her armored chest while her great wings cut through the sky.

She was under no particular objective at the moment from "Lord Jiongu" as she called him, so did as she please for the time being. Having found the wilderness rather empty, she lurked about Hearthome, playing with the idea of picking one of "her own" off to satisfy her craving.

Coming lower to the ground, she spotted Angon, one of Jiongu's cronies. What was he up to all the way out here? Yuna cocked her head making sure the leader himself was not around before diving in with her talons extended to aggressively greet the unsuspecting Chandelure with a bullying shove.

"Oi! Goonie," she addressed him with a sneer.

Last edited:
Opal, and a few remaining clones, lept into the nearest tree together.

"I take it that's a no?" She called out "I'm just a hungry carnivore with no other options. The only monster here is the exact prey I crave"

Still, it was clear this Raichu wouldn't listen to reason, so she prepared a poison-tail for when she next came near, her time in the wild gave her time to perfect a killing blow.

The Raichu's electric charged ball crashed through the clones quickly and carefully so as not to steer herself into her allies. To her dismay, she failed to locate the original before it leapt into the tree nearest to it followed by a few remaining clones.

Raicha's fierce Rollout revved around repeatedly at the base of the tree before hiking up the trunk. This time however, she unraveled her body from the ball it was in and spun in a swift circle, releasing her long tail, glowing from its steel like hardness to meet with Opal's Poison-Tail.

Spencer scoffed. "Alright, screw it. Xhan, could you do me a favor?" He asked, standing back up.

Xhan nodded. "My pleasure. Crappy deal anyway." He watched the Raichu leap into action, and immediately jumped into the trees. He focused his Aura Sense, and identifying everyone with their Aura. No getting mixed up, now. He launched a Quick Attack, Aura Sphere morphing into his palm. Rather than use the usual impact of the Quick Attack, he stopped directly next to the spliced Pokemon, to fire point blank.

Meanwhile, Spencer tossed his hat to the side. He considered going into the trees as well, but decided that he was no match for the Splice in the trees. He stayed on the ground, running around behind a tree opposite to the fighting. He kicked at a low branch, and after a satisfying crack, he pulled it off with his hands. It wasn't a gun or a sword, but he didn't like the chances of the tail getting close to him should the Less-Than-Friendly decide to target him instead.

Narcissa was on the top floor of the Old Chateau, roaming one of the rooms aimlessly. She was spacing out again, musing over a certain species of mammals as she always did. They were just so... oh, what's the word... unique. Humans were amazingly intriguing and oh so lovely, and she hadn't even met one in person, not counting the one that captured her mother and sent her father on a blazing rage. A genuine human being. That's all she wanted now. To meet one of those fascinating creatures she was so attracted to. If inky they would stop by her humble abode once and awhile...

The Mismagius blinked, quickly cocking her head to the right as she heard a faint crash. On a regular basis, the Ghost Pokémon there wouldn't tap or knock over things in the Chateau without good reason, and though usually just good fun was one of them, joking around wasn't a main priority of the Pokémon there now. Not after what happened.

Narcissa floated through the floor as soon as she could and saw a rather... delightful sight. There was a Dusknoir, whom she recognized to be the one called... "Glum," was it? There was a sparking, ghost-looking Pokémon also in the hallway and she knew it was a Rotom. There were others, too, but her eyes were immediately glued on the figure sleeping on the bed in the room. That was... a human. "... Oh, my," Narcissa purred, her eyes widening a bit. "Oh, my, oh my."

Narcissa stared for a couple of more seconds by the doorway, her mouth slightly ajar, but she blinked, looking over at Glum. "... You've... made some friends, I see," she murmured, her voice falling into a monotonous pitch. She hadn't really interacted with the Dusknoir that much, though she had seen him out and about on more than one occasion.

Last edited:
Opal was about to go right for Raicha when Xhan appeared right next to her. She only got to let out a startled squeal before she ended up taking an iron tail and aura sphere at once.

Usually, she would be able to tank hits like those easily but she was currently weak from starvation, and flung from the tree by the impact, rolling once she hit the floor. The splice was cringing in pain, and from the way she was lying belly-up, her ribs were rather visible.

Jack's eyes narrowed after the hail was cleared away. "I hear a disturbance outside the barrier," he growled, "We have company." Robert started to say something, only to stop when he realized how close to the gate they were. He looked up, seeing that the likely cause of the freak cold was the current guard and his Abomasnow. Closer still to that guard were two trainers, one with another pokemon native to Unova, and the other with two larger pokemon: a Nidoking, and some kind of serpentine pokemon that he didn't recognize. "You think they're here to try and handle the disturbance?"

"Maybe," Helios mused, "But if the guard needs two more trainers to handle a disturbance, then it must be pretty bad. They might need all the help they can get, Robert." Jack looked at Helios somewhat incredulously. "He still needs to see Ma-"

"I'd think a disturbance outside the barrier that could mean a breach outweighs seeing Maylene about movement to the North, wouldn't you agree?" Helios looked at her teammate, "Maylene's always busy; I'm sure if we're late by a few minutes, it wouldn't be that big of a deal." Before Jack could say anything, Robert intervened: "I'd like to hope either of you give me a say in deciding what I do. And I think it's best if we just gave it a once-over. If it looks like they have things under control, then we go see Maylene. If whatever's going on looks like it's about to get nasty and possibly result in a breach, then we help. Everyone wins, so let's get moving."

The Samurott and Volcarona exchanged a glance, gave the closest thing they could to a resigned shrug, and then took positions on either side of Robert, who was even then heading towards the cluster of trainers.
----
Angon had nearly left the city when something large smashed into his side, and the collision sent him flying a few feet. He righted himself, and was none too pleased to see that the offender was Yuna, one of Jiongu's... more unhinged servants. "Oh, it's you," the Chandelure said dismissively, the flames on his arms expanding slightly, "what is it that could possibly provide enough trouble for you to disturb me when I've been sent on a rather vital mission for the cause, hm?"

Of course, her troubles are hardly my problem, he thought, as a matter of fact, unless her problem has to do with that, I don't even need to take it into consideration; I can just tell her of the upcoming movement and send her towards Jiongu. Moreover, that will let me carry out my own business; hopefully without any more interruptions.

Glum snapped out of his "daydreaming" after a moment, and noticed the Mismagius. The Dusknoir knew this one, he'd seen her watching his constant pacing before. At her comment, he sighed. "I suppose so...." He said flatly, then suddenly seemed to realize and made an apologetic comment and gesture toward the Rotom he'd nearly blasted. The vase behind her was shattered and smoking with shadow energy.

After his slightly blustered apology, he turned back to the Mismagius. "Kupo here, her trainer, and his three other Pokemon with him are... recovering. They seem to have been running, and him and his bird are hurt. If you wish to... introduce yourself... I'd suggest being... careful," he said with a chuckle. "As the first human... and the first trainer... in a long time, he should be treated more like... and esteemed guest."

With that, Glum moved to make space for her to go by him. "By all means, though..." He added, gesturing down the hall.

Raicha landed on her hind legs, huffing from fatigue and eyed the starved creature with a torn expression. This wasn't right... She couldn't feed the Nidorina humans but she was starving...

The Raichu crept towards Opal cautiously and studied the ribs quietly. Her tail dug into the earth to pin down the Seviper tail before seating herself beside the enemy to take a breath. The only means of feeding this one would be to give up her own rations for the day. Unfortunately for Opal, this did not entail any meat.

"Hm..." she hummed in annoyance and looked at the Nidorina's face. She then turned her head to Xhan and said, "Can you fetch me some berries from the storage room?"

----

Yuna chirped a sound less than musical before observing her long shiny talons in a casual manner. She then looked down at Angon and stepped back.

"Vital? What's Lord Jiongu up to, Goonie? I've only come for amusement. You see your rebels have scared off my snack of the hour."

Absent mindedly, the Skarmory pecked at her hind leg to inspect its level of cleanliness before returning her less than welcoming gaze upon the disheveled Chandelure.

L'Arc could hear voices. He tilted his head to one side, still holding onto the railing, and listened for a moment. It was hard to make out, but there. Other pokemon... He jumped from the railing to the floor in front of the door to the hallway with a flurry of wings and a clatter of claws, stepping carefully to the door, yellow eyes bright. He would have to be wary, who knew what kind of beasts lived here, and what they were up to.

He poked the door with his head, shoving it open a bit and peering into the hallway. The first thing he could see were a trio of ghost Pokemon, only remembering the name of one - a Rotom. Payden had owned a Rotom... But the others, he did not know what they were or what they would do. The draconic Togekiss gave a low growl deep in his throat, lowering his head.

Spencer sighed with relief as he dropped the stick. Xhan dropped to the ground with a huff. "That was thankfully quick." He noted to himself.

The Raichu asked him for some berries from the Storage Room. Xhan tilted his head. "... Storage Room?" He asked. He glanced at Spencer, who just shrugged, as confused as he was.

"I'm sure once we get inside, someone can tell us where it is." Spencer told him. Xhan nodded.

"See, we haven't actually been inside Veilstone yet. We've been out here for... Well, since things went to hell, pretty much." He explained to the Raichu.

Narcissa floated in a rhythmic pattern in front of the Dusknoir as he spoke, introducing the Rotom as Kupo and her... apparently unamed trainer. Or perhaps Glum didn't know his name? No matter; either way, it was indeed a human. And that's all Narcissa was focused on. She attempted to float on by Glum in a heartbeat after he ceased talking, but stopped suddenly as he advised her to treat them with care and be careful. She slowly turned back to him, her eyes looking up at the taller ghost with an aloof stare. "... Yes, of course," Narcissa answered, giving a stiff nod of the head.

In all truth, she wasn't extremely happy she couldn't touch the human man. She wanted to examine him more closely, watch the rising and falling of his chest, see what humans did when they were active, but the fact that he was asleep already narrowed the choice down to one, and the remaining option was practically impossible now.

After debating over in her mind what to do, she merely let out a small sigh and turned away from the door leading to the human. "... Perhaps rest would do him good," she said, looking back at Glum. "He might be better when he awakes after all, right? ... Oh, and... I believe I've seen you around these parts, though I never got the chance to introduce myself." She turned to where she was facing both Kupo and Glum, and gave a little bow. "Narcissa, at your merry service," she beamed wholeheartedly, seeing that at least trying to cheer these two up would help with the gloomy mood.

Narcissa turned her head to the entrance of the hallway, her smile fading. There was another. He was white, with claws and wings, but the Mismagius couldn't recognize his species. "More guests," she mused aloud. Soon after, her voice trailed off into a low, eerie theme, her voice jumping from highs to lows, to form a strangely fitting song for the atmosphere they were all in. She looked up at Glum, floating next to him as she soon turned back to the newcomer.

Last edited:
The flames at the end of Angon's tendrils shrunk slightly. "If you must know, Jiongu is planning to take a platoon of his finest flyers and Fire-types and go north. We believe that the pokemon up there could be swayed to join the cause. As a flyer that has an advantage over those of the north, I think Jiongu's going to expect you to join the platoon in question."

He made no mention that the forces from the north could be what they needed to successfully attack Veilstone. And he of course made no mention that the Bisharp's forces had found that; to do so would be foolish. Angon considered pokemon such as Yuna - and most of the rest of Jiongu's lowbrow foot-soldiers - on a strict need-to-know basis. Most of the dealings of the generals were never told to the common member of the rebellion, much less of any of Angon's experiments. Angon considered the generals on a need-to-know basis with his private dealings with Jiongu, and he even considered Jiongu on a need-to-know basis with much of what he said with the generals, whether with or without their consent.

At the moment, however, the only one that Angon was thinking of was Yuna, who needed to know very little about what Angon was doing. With any luck, what he did tell her would be enough for her to leave him be; she was wasting precious time.

With a final clatter of falling ice against rock, the last of the hail ceased to be. The clouds parted to allow the sun to emerge, bringing some warmth to the western side of town. The light caught the parts of the ground that were completely frozen over with a bright glare, causing Shanter to screw up his eyes and lift one claw to cover his face against the sudden manifestation of radiance. Feeling suddenly hot inside his padded winter clothing, Malcolm looked up in dismay at the warm weather.

"Ugh! What incompetent goon called for this offending sunshine?" spat the Weavile, distracted from his escalating feud with the Seviper by the unwelcome heat. There was the sound of a zipper being opened as Malcolm was forced to open up his winter coat and unwrap his scarf, reaching into his pocket and drawing out a pair of reflective black sunglasses, which Shanter took from him gratefully. He fit the Blackglasses over his eyes, and then directed his stare immediately towards an approaching human accompanied by a hulking Pokemon that was quite obviously a fire-type.

Blaming him for the sudden change in their forecast, Malcolm and his shadowy bodyguard both quietly observed the new arrivals with coldness. Since the medic seemed capable of handling his questions, the weasel shrank away in order to stand positioned closer to Yulla, whose icy presence continued to cool the air around her.

"Hoo my! Look at this, someone else my own size!" exclaimed Yulla, directing her words at the brawny Emboar, possibly in an attempt to compensate for the lack of friendliness it was being shown by the rest of her team. Her attempt at making small talk was ultimately swept aside however by a sudden sense of overwhelming dread. A shudder went through her, and Shanter's fur bristled. The other two Pokemon felt it too, and so Malcolm simply sighed in response to Senica's statement about remaining behind.

"Fine, I'll stay. But maintaining the generators is important. Shouldn't you just get going?" he said, directing his words at the new arrival with a trace of scorn. Slipping down off Yulla's shoulders, Malcolm took off his backpack and reached inside, taking out one pokeball and one variant with a golden "U" shape on a background of black. As if understanding what this meant, Shanter's expression saddened noticeably. His trainer returning him with a flash of light, stashing the Pokeball away to keep in reserve for later. To replace him, another Unovan Pokemon appeared before the assembled group. A green amorphous blob that regarded the humans present, as well as the one now making his approach towards them, with a kind of wary curiosity.

"... is there trouble?" it asked, voice quavering, and Malcolm shrugged. Sparing a glance towards the 3rd newcomer to approach him during his shift yet. Flanked on either side by powerful Pokemon... interestingly, also from Unova, he gave a breif nod towards both Arkidos and the six-winged flaming moth Pokemon. "Those two? You might want to get them out of here." he announced, gesturing over at his most recently released Pokemon. "They won't cope well with what I have in mind."

Glum nodded at Narcissa. "It is good to properly meet you. I've seen you watch me pace, sometimes...." He said. He turned to look at Payden, speaking again to Narcissa. "Indeed, rest will do him good... he should be better, yes." He looked out toward the front room next, thinking.

The Dusknoir then noticed the draconic-bird-like Pokemon in the doorway, and after a moment barely recognized it as a Togekiss. Though, most didn't look like that. He heard the growl rumble through the large room and decided it best to try and confront, and possibly calm, the Togekiss. He floated over to it slowly, then when a few feet away, spoke quietly. "There's nothing to be afraid of, or threatened by here. You can come in if you want... more company might be nice, in fact...." He finished, backing away a bit, but in a more welcoming then frightened motion.

---------------------------------

Peter looked at the trainer and his Abomasnow, now kind of bothered that both trainers and a couple of their Pokemon had shoved him off, and that he also seemed bothered by Mac, and sighed. He then turned to his Emboar and quickly gestured. "Come on. We can't sit around here," he said, clearly annoyed. "We have important things to do. Since we know where to go, we don't need to keep bothering these two or their Pokemon." Mac finally budged, following with a nod and a snort, seeing the harshness they were giving them.

As the sun came out, the Emboar seemed to be slightly invigorated, and moved ahead quickly. After a moment, though, Mac turned around and yelled, "The sun's not my fa-" Peter cut him off quickly and kind of waved a halfhearted farewell, turning to the Emboar with a whisper of, "Don't make it worse." They went on their way then, heading for the generators.

Last edited:
As Robert walked up to the gathering of trainers and pokemon, he noticed a great deal of tension in the face of the snake creature, as well as the Abomasnow with look of... was it fear? Concern? Whatever it was, it was clear that something had happened that was instilling dread in the large creature. Perhaps it was Helios changing the weather into something more tolerable that unsettled the large Ice-type.

Then its trainer recalled his other pokemon - a Weavile, from the looks of things - and deployed what Robert recognized as a Reuniclus. He then suggested to the trainer of the snake and to Robert that they recall their pokemon (Helios, in Robert's case), since they wouldn't like what the Psychic-type was about to do. Helios looked at Robert with an accepting stare, so her trainer pulled out a pokeball to recall Helios. The Volcarona vanished in a burst of red light, and as she did so Jack whispered into Robert's ear: "I suggest that you send out one of the others regardless - something that might be a little more accepting of whatever it is that he plans to do with that Reuniclus."

"Couldn't agree more," Robert said, dropping a poke ball that was covered completely in dark green circles. In a puff of purple smoke, an ornate gold coffin appeared, shifting a few parts to reveal a grinning face and red eyes, with black ghostly arms protruding on from a black haze that soon surrounded the coffin. Jack took one look at the deployed Cofagrigus and had to repress the urge to sigh. That wasn't nearly who he had in mind, but if that's what Robert thought was best for the job, then he'd have to put up with Supay's antics until whatever was happening finished happening.

Back
Top Bottom