• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Open Grimoire of Dragons

"Well, firssst I'd recommend getting out of the cart if you don't own it," Gradivus said, looking at both of them. "Sssecond, assk the clan leader, not a grunt who joined lassst night."

Shaking his head slightly at the eccentric pair, he left the cart and tapped Ming on the shoulder, pointing to the pair.

---

Looking over at Abelat, Avan stopped to give a bow. "I, sir, am Avan Argismo, new member to the Clan Virtue! Judging by your speech and bearing, I shall assume you are one of my new clan members! I would offer my services to you if you were ever in need, but you are not a lady, so I am not so chivalrous!"

Ming gave Avan a 'Right. You keep saying that' look, glancing over to the pair that appeared before them. One was a Hume and the other a Moogle that seemed weary of their Judge Maes. She clicked her tongue, telling Greed to entertain Avan while she walks ed over to the new duo.

"You want to join huh? Do you have any clue who we are and what we are embarking on?"

She walks around the two, circling them and studying them closely. She rests a hand on the Hume's shoulder, the other on the Moogle's head.

"We are going to be embarking on a mission that will be very dangerous. We will have hired goons and the renewed clan of Khamja. We are going to be going through hell and back. I have told this much to the new recruits that joined us when we sent out the call for more members."

She pulls them back, forcing them both to face her.

"Being aware of this now. Do you still wish to join us, Hume."

-----------------------------------

"And there she goes scaring the crap out of more people"

Cid shakes his head, casting his gaze on the skies and leans onto Kate's shoulder, softly chuckling.

"And this is who you call Sister?"

--------------------------

Al stared at the back of the man, a small smile on his face. He somehow felt more confident in himself, like he could tell Thalia everything one day soon.

"I can do this...I can do this..."

((I hate you writer's block go away :c ))

Choco let out a loud 'Kewh!" when he felt the cart get hitched onto him and looked away from his greens for a moment, shooting everyone an indignant look, then took off like a rocket as soon as it was attached firmly. Kate bolted out from under Cid's large hand as soon as she saw this, whistling a Chocobo call and swearing loudly, barely managing to take a running leap and landing gracefully on his back. She grabbed his reins and yanked sharply, making the yellow bird jerk his head back and come to a skidding stop.

"Bad boy, Choco! Stay! You be a good boy, or you don't get any more treats. Okay?" She scolded, tapping the bird on the beak with her rapier. He made a sad 'kweh' and lowered his head a bit. She looked back to make sure the cart was still secure - it was - and sighed.

---

Th two Humes who had supposed to have attached the cart to the feisty Chocobo had scattered after Ming's lecture, the hunter to the woods and the solider to the inn, where he leaned in the doorway and cleared his throat loudly, and waved the Ayvuir Blue in his left hand.

"Hey get moving you guys; the featherbutt is getting uppity so we're leaving!" He yelled, making several people not from Virtue look up and grumble about being interupted.

Thalia squeaked and slid off the stool at his words and made her way to the door, her bag thwacking gently at her side, and the large book held to her chest. It was awful exciting travelling with a clan, though she wasn't too good at the fighting quite yet.

She lifted her head and took a deep breath once outside, the clean, damp air of Targ Wood rather pleasant to breathe. What a nice day...

'Holy Kupo-' Sonja exclaimed as she stepped outside, just in time to nearly be bowled over by an irate Chocobo hitched to a heavy cart. Albeit, it had not even run in her direction, but it was more the surprise.
'What do people see in those bloody things Kupo?!' she swore, picking herself up with a disapproving grunt. 'Dammit, Kupopo, I hope this isn't a sign of things to come today.. May I assume this is Clan Virtue, Kupo?' Dusting herself off and crossing her arms crassly, she took a moment to survey the small crowd trying to spot Ming.
'Noone said anything about Chocobos...'

Abelat grinned at Avan. This unusual Viera had an equally unusual sense of humor-- at least, the Moogle hoped it was just humor. "Indeed, we are clanmates now, kupo! My name is Abelat. Pleased to make your acquaintance."

---

Lodrick flinched at being called and, forgetting all about whether or not he enjoyed eating and walking at the same time, stuffed the rest of the sandwich in his mouth and dashed outside, his cannon strapped to his back bouncing haphazardly. He swallowed the large portion and, slowing down once he reached the group, wheezed, "I'm here, I'm here." He adjusted his clothes a bit once he wasn't running anymore, positioning his cannon more comfortably on his back. "Lodrick's ready t'go!"

Just after saying that, Choco made a mad dash for who-knows-where with the cart, knocking the green Bangaa onto his tail in surprise. "Augh! Crazy bird!" he spat. Lodrick got himself back up and dusted his pants off, mumbling to himself. Once he was satisfied he wiped the lenses of his goggles clean with his sleeve, and he blinked. "At least it's nice out t'day. Not too bright, not too wet."

Gradivus gave a sigh, as he slid to a skidding halt next to Kate and Choco, having dashed after the bird the second he saw it split, yet Kate had beat him to it.

"I guessss I didn't have to do anything, jussst a force of habit."

Wiping off his pants as well, he got up and trotted to retrieve his helmet and strap it back on, looking up at the sky. "Guess you have a point. I would have liked some more wind though."

---

Avan stood next to Kate, having ran over to help but making it just as Kate had stopped Choco and reprimanded him. "I must say miss, you handled that quite well! Of course, the Chocobo might simply have stopped because it had such an admirably beautiful woman on it's back."

"That... sounds... AWESOME! I'm in! Sign me up!"

"Kupo..." the moogle sighed, "No. Ignore him. He's my kid brother. He's a bit... slow."

"No, Paul. I'm going-"

"Home, kupo. Both of us are, kupo. NOW!"

"How do you think you're going to get me home?"

A fiendish grin crossed the moogle's features for a moment, and was gone just as quickly as it appeared. "Kupo. Sleep." The hume fell down with a small thump, making the moogle wince, before picking up his brother. "Again, I wish to apologize for any inconvienece we might have cau-"

A yawn issued from the Hume, and he woke up. "Alright! So we can go?"

"Yes, kupo. Home. Now, kupo. As in, we aren't joining the clan, kupo."

"Aw... why not?"

Hawkeye narrowed her eyes as the nu mou stepped outside. Yes, that was the one, the holder of some book that Clan Khamja wanted so badly. She looked completely carefree and innocent, which was pleasant but not very smart. There was a very powerful clan after that book, and they had hired several other clans to go after the nu mou and the book. As far as Hawkeye knew, they wanted both, but she only learned it second-hand from another clan.

She was already primed and ready for action, with her shell long since loaded. It was a simple matter to shift her cannon slightly so it was pointing straight at the nu mou's head. She considered for a moment, then waved a hand over the barrel to imbue the shell with magick.

This was not strictly necessary, but Hawkeye had to see what measures Clan Virtue was taking to protect the book, or at least the nu mou. Lives were easily taken, and after true death, it could not be reversed. She wanted to know how serious they were about the book, because she hadn't noticed that they were being particularly careful: they were more or less publicly hiring, and they had been easy enough to track. Someone that asked too many obvious questions could be sent the wrong way, but not someone who actually wanted to find the clan.

Hawkeye grimaced and shifted her position a bit more. The roof wasn't very comfortable, but if she'd hidden in a tree, that hume would have blocked her shot. It was a good thing the roof's design was simple enough for a camouflage blanket, but not that she had to lie flat and even cover her precious pompom with a cloth and tie it to her back.

The nu mou stepped clearly into view, then continued, possibly so that others could follow. But more importantly, to Hawkeye, it made her shot possible.

She had to do it quickly, before something blocked her shot.

She stopped breathing, waited a heartbeat, and pulled the trigger.

The loud bang, an explosion contained in metal, could not be missed, but by the time anyone heard it, it was too late. Hawkeye ignored the recoil, even when it jerked the hand cannon against her chest, and saw the shell strike the nu mou's head.

In actual fact, it never hit: that would be fatal, and even if not, shells would be unusable as a support in battle because the recipient would be knocked off its feet. Instead, the nu mou just vanished.

Then she reappeared just behind the new hume-and-moogle pair, looking none the worse for wear.

If Hawkeye hadn't enchanted the shell, the nu mou's head would be gone. That told her everything she needed to know.

"AH!" The moogle exclaimed, as he jumped a foot. "Kupo! I hate guns, kupo! Loud, noisy, lack the versatility of an actual Mage, kupo..."

The Hume looked over at Ming and said, "Alright, ma'am, while he's distracted, where do I sign us up?"

Just as Lodrick had gotten over the shock of the Chocobo cart, there was a loud bang, a particular bang that was much too loud to be any gun, and the Bangaa knew the sound well: it was a cannon. His arms flew to wrap themselves around his head and he tensed his muscles, bracing for impact, but none came. If anything was going to strike him it would have by then, so he uncovered his face a moment later. His ears ringing, Lodrick looked around at everyone, more concerned with them at the moment than the source of the noise. "Is everyone a'right?" The most probable target slowly came to his mind. "Where's Thalia?" he asked, the dark realization apparent on his face.

Lodrick was relieved, but also confused, to see her standing near Ming and a Hume and Moogle pair he did not recognize. In a deft motion he swung his cannon over his back and into his hands, and turning his back to Thalia and the cart, he looked about the roofs, not taking his eyes from the sky as he slipped a few shells into his Dromaeo. "If they so much as wiggle a tail..." he rumbled.

---

"!!!" Luroa shrieked and flapped her wings wildly at the sudden noise, sending her rider flying. Abelat, however, was clinging tenaciously to the white Chocobo's reins, and his weight hindered her balance and sent her frenzy straight into the ground. There she flailed about for a bit, crying in fright, white feathers flying in all directions.

Abelat used the reins to simultaneously pull Luroa's head in his direction and launch himself onto her face, and he cupped his paws around her eyes, much like a set of blinkers. "Luroa, calm down, kupo! The shot did not strike us! Cease at once before you hurt yourself!"

That did the trick, and Luroa stopped jerking about and lay still, though she was still breathing heavily. "Kweh..."

"Stay down until the situation is assessed, kupo," the Moogle whispered.

Last edited:
"Thalia!"

Al's eyes widen as her body disappeared, running to where she once stood. He frantically looks around to see where the came from and where she may have been taken. He then spots her standing behind the two new people that Ming was talking too, seeing that She seemed to have noticed the sudden appearance of the Nu Mou girl.

"What the hell-?!"

Ming spinned on her heel and scanned the area around her, ears twitching as she looked for the slightest sound and smelled for the source of the powder of the cannon fire. She growls under her breath and reaches for Thaila, drawing her to her side.

"We're under fire. Get to the cart. Greed! Roy! Ed! Cover her. Everyone, search what we can."

She turns and looks back at the Hume, giving him a once-over.

"You want to join, Then follow us until we are out of the line of fire. After so, you'll have to talk to our judge then and he'll swear you in. Now move it!"

-----------------------------

"The bloody--!?"

Cid turns and looks at the surrounding area, seeing Roy jump to his feet and run to Ming as ordered, covering Thalia along with Greed. He then spots Al casting Shell and Protect over the small group, looking around frantically. Cid then glances at the roofs of the buildings, scanning for the faintest of disturbance in the scene.

It was cannon fire and it had to be in eye sight.

'Shit- Kupopo!!'
Purely by instinct, Sonja had dove back into the pub right behind the doorframe seconds after the cannon shot had rung through the woods. She patted herself down in shock, making sure she had not been the target, before pulling her own firearm from it's holster and cocking it ready. The pub-goers looked a mix of uppity and angry, and with an air of "Not my problem", only a few less experienced clanners had glued themselves to the back wall in shock.
'T-Thalia...' Sonja began stuttering to herself after taking a moment to realise what had happened. She peered outside carefully, it seemed she was okay - now already surrounded by Virtue members. Sonja had only just seen a flash from the corner of her eye as the shell had hit. 'W-What the hell would..'
She paused, peering outside again - many of the members were still hanging around it seemed, perhaps in shock, but it wouldn't do anyone any good. There would be time to think on this all later. She pointed her gun up from inside the door. She couldn't spot a thing, but they had to be somewhere out there. Without thinking, she fired a few shots off into the distance - mostly as warning shots, hoping they might startle the cannoneer a bit - she only hoped she had not startled anyone else, she was used to working alone. A few puffs of leaves fell from the trees she had hit in the distance, as well as a loud clang accompanied by sparks from striking an adjacent roof near the edge.
Ducking inside again quickly, she reloaded her shells before dashing back out towards the group at the cart, trying to keep her best eye open. She wasn't quite sure how to operate in this whole setting yet, though.

"Gotcha. Come on, brother," the hume said, grabbing Paul and running somewhere he knew would be safe.

"Kupo... guns kupo... horrible horrible fire arms... kupo."

"Oh dear gods, don't faint on me NOW! That... that sucks. Oh well, this will just make traversing the rooftops just that much more challenging." Spotting a ladder, he clambered up, and started running across the rooftops, searching for the Caravan, heading first to where they just were, moving quickly all the while.

Even through the earplugs, Hawkeye could hear the conversation below if she concentrated on the sound. The earplugs were only good enough to protect her ears from damage. The human and moogle pair were not at all concerned, but from what she had gathered, they were not part of the clan yet. Of course, anyone who did not immediately react with even slight fear in response to a sudden attack was likely not entirely mentally stable, but this type might have been more of a danger to himself than to others. They'd die if they could not hold their own, and although Hawkeye hated sacrificing comrades unnecessarily, she knew she could not solely cover them in battle because they were not important enough.

Hawkeye watched the visible clan members, only moving her eyes. Her breathing was slow, as was her heartbeat. A bangaa cannoneer scanned the roofs, loading his cannon apparently by touch. Experienced, then, enough so that the safety requirement of an unloaded cannon was no real hindrance. She smiled grimly, hearing his threat. Yes, if she made any gross movements, they would notice, but she was unworried. Running and hiding were often the only way to survive if she was outmatched or unarmed, and because moogles had limited speed, she became very good at hiding.

She moved her eyes to the clan leader, who was already directing the others to cover the nu mou - Thalia, was it? - and search for Hawkeye. It was not a bad response, but it left no doubt that the nu mou was important and so Hawkeye could only feel that it was rather too late. The search, of course, would happen even if Thalia had died, as they would almost certainly want their revenge. Because Hawkeye was on the rooftop, they would find her if they tried, and the only factor was time. It could have been more efficient and organised, but the leader was probably still surprised.

So it was a reasonable assumption that the one to successfully kill Thalia would die. But it would not be a real deterrent if Clan Khamja wanted to send an assassin. ("Will you give your life to save your sister?") It was easy to find someone willing to die for their cause.

Hawkeye held her hand over the hand cannon's chamber and enchanted the shell, briefly noting a revgaji (interesting; she'd never seen one before) and

Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang!

Although Hawkeye had long since stopped flinching at gunshots, or indeed anything, she couldn't help but gape when she realised just what had happened. Someone had shot into the air. The first thing that had been impressed upon her when she learned to shoot was that you never fired your gun if you didn't know what you would hit, and this meant you never shot into the air. At least, this was the case if you didn't want to hit innocents or allies. Such rapid fire meant that there would be no time to aim after the recoil, either, so there was no doubt that the fusilier was being reckless.

The moogle ran into eyesight after a moment, allowing Hawkeye to see the reckless and negligent shooter. She grimaced, staring at the moogle. If Hawkeye's teacher had met that moogle's teacher, the first thing Hawkeye's teacher would do would be to smash the other's hand with his cannon.

It was possible Hawkeye was being unfair. It might have been that the shooter was just insane, or that she'd been startled out of her ability to think straight. The dangers were often exaggerated, in any case, but Hawkeye wondered if the shooter could tolerate being guilty of a few innocent deaths.

Hawkeye stopped breathing suddenly when she spotted the two newest recruits running on a nearby rooftop, toward her. Had they found a ladder? The last time Hawkeye had checked, there had been no ladders in the immediate vicinity, but that had been hours ago, and someone managed to set up a ladder in one of her blind spots. Her camouflage blanket would cover her from above and she was difficult to see from below, but when level, she was a very visible lump of roof-coloured cloth.

They would see her; there was no doubt about this. Their eyes were not yet trained on her, but they were approaching and would be very close soon enough. Of course, being level with a flintlock was not a very good idea, because now they were extremely easy to shoot. The clan leader had mentioned a judge, and that would be the only reason those two would not die. They were moving targets, yes, but shells and bullets moved faster than everything that wasn't a teleport.

Her hand cannon was already trained on them. Those below would have seen the movement.

She considered running, but decided against it. It was not difficult to hide in a town, but it was unnecessary and she didn't actually want to draw the attention of Clan Khamja's hired clans. She suspected there was one in the area.

Instead, Hawkeye cast off the camouflage blanket and stood up in one movement, holding the hand cannon almost casually in her arm. Since it was loaded, she had a firm grip, but at least the cannoneer and fusilier should know it was not a firing stance. Naturally, the holstered gun could be drawn at any moment if necessary, and she could probably have them all shot once before being killed, if she got the cannoneer and fusilier first. Magic and arrows were generally not immediately fatal, and if they were they would threaten the integrity of the roof.

Hawkeye was already shifting to the side, to avoid any reflex shots that didn't go after her blanket, although she'd be obviously vulnerable to anything else. That was the point. Although it was possible only moogles would notice, her body language said, I am no threat, because I'm harmless would have been a lie.

"Thalia would be dead, if I wanted," Hawkeye said conversationally. "It wasn't that difficult, even though Clan Khamja wants her so badly. Why not?"

The hume jumped, and the moogle sighed at his lack of perception. "So, were you the one who fired that cannon, kupo? Please don't, kupo! I hate the sound of firearms, kupo."

"Hey! Why did you do that?! You could have killed someone!"

"Well, yes, kupo, if he wanted to. Learn to pay more attention, Kupo. He just said he wasn't going to hurt anyone, although he's lying with his body language. He may not be a threat to us, but he is certainly a threat."

"Hm... do you think he'll join the Clan too?"

"Oh not this again! For the last time, kupo, we are not joining the clan! I still have a month and a half paid for at the Academy, and I clearly need more practice, kupo! Besides, they're friends with a judge, kupo!"

"So?"

"So? So?! It's not my fault I have a price on my head, kupo!"

Catching a flicker of movement in the corner of his eye, Lodrick spun in that direction of and took aim at the unconcealed Moogle with a firm stance, all in one movement of practiced precision. His finger hovered over the trigger, ready to fire at a moment's notice. This Flintlock didn't have her cannon actually aimed at them, but he wasn't going to take any chances today. It could all have been a ploy to lure them into a false sense of security.

"Thalia would be dead, if I wanted. It wasn't that difficult, even though Clan Khamja wants her so badly. Why not?"

How did she know that? This Moogle far knew too much, and was just talking about it out in the open. Lodrick's lips were pulled into a tight frown. If they didn't shut this Moogle up, what little cover the others had cared to make would have been blown. The same would happen if they let her go scott-free. He contemplated the risks of just shooting her right there. He couldn't feign ignorance or else she might "explain" even more, but he couldn't just ask how she knew that either. That would be worse. But could he just remain silent?

Last edited:
Gradivus reacted the second he heard the gunshot, quickly diving to the side to keep from getting his head blown off, and scanned the area not with his eyes but with his nose. Noting a unique mix of gunpowder coming from inside the pub, he checked to see that it was one of his moogle clanmates, and instead turned to the rooftops.

Bracing himself, he lept up and stabbed his sword into the side of the pub, using it as a springboard to grab the edge of the pub's roof with his free hand. Clambering up after freeing his sword, he started leaping across the rooftops, following the source of gunpowder, before eventually reaching up to Hawkeye's level and stopping, noticing her stance wasn't attack anymore, but walking over and getting ready to behead her if possible.

---

Avan stood on the top of the cart hitched to Choco, cursing himself for being slow on the reaction to the gun, but standing with his bow primed and scanning the rooftops. Noticing Gradivus, he noticed he had stopped, and had an arrow ready to cover the giant Bangaa.

Choco let out a squeal at the sound of the shot and thrashed his head around a bit, but Kate was holding him still, her knuckles white on the reins and she tried to keep the huge bird still. She was making soft Chocobo calls in an attempt to calm him. His wings fluttered at his sides and he was rocking a bit, but otherwise, he was still.

Thalia herself barely had time to make any sort of sound when she heard the loud sound and felt her body get...fuzzy. Like pins and needles. She then felt something squeezing, and was suddenly elsewhere. She wobbled on the spot and almost fell when she reappeared, and let out a surprised wail, squeezing the book tighter to her chest.

"Whaa..." She managed to squeak out, but her chest hurt from the sudden teleportation, and it was still hard to breathe. She looked around as the clan around her exploded into preparations for combat, and she shrunk back a bit, squeaking.

The sound of Chocobo feet was rather loud as the armour-clad judge and his mount thundered to a better vantage point to survey the battle; a Judge's Chocobo was not easily startled, having been trained to be around combat, and as such remained calm. The man waved an arm in Ming's direction.

"Tell me if we actually have a battle! I'm ready."

((oh my god failpost ;w; ))

Ming raises one of her hands, walking into the middle of the road and glances upward to where the Moogle stood. She glanced over her shoulder and gave Maes a 'be on guard' look before clearing her throat.

"Moogle. Come down from there so we may discuss this matter without alerting the spies in this town. We already have the problem of having some of our members out the survey the area, we don't need more fireworks to alert them further."

---------------------

Roy tightens his grip on Thalia's arm, his other hand holding his staff at ready in case there was more attacks to come. He glanced around at the surrounding area in case of further fire.

"This is a good start...Thalia. Into the cart. We're moving now or never."

-----------------------------

Cid crosses his arms and glances at the Clan Leader, nothing that though she may be standing in a clam stance, her hands were concealed in her cloak. New members would thinking nothing of this, but the veterans knew what she could be doing under that cloak.

"Everyone. Be at the ready, but don't attack."

He looks back at the Moogle, a slight frown on his face.

"Listen to the lady. It would be best to speak of this in lowered tones."

Cid then lowers his head, whispering under his breath to the clan leader.

"You don't sense that much of a threat..."

"No. She doesn't have murderous intents...I can sense that much from my blood. She is strong...and sly. She may be a nice addition...once we shut her trap about this."

"How would she have known this much."

Ming closes her eyes and sighs, looking like she ate a bug and was told so after the fact.

"How else. It isn't hard to figure it all out if you ask the right questions and listen to others. There are people after her, they will not be shy spreading that much around."

Cid glances to his side, seeing a shadow shift in the alleyway, disappearing into the deeper darkness.

"We need to move. Now. They heard the Moogle and they're not going to hold this info for long."

Paul sighed, and fluttered down from the rooftop with Saul close behind. "I guess you heard what I said up there?"

Back
Top Bottom