• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Open Grimoire of Dragons

(( She can think quickly because everything is much more concise in Kupo. ))

The sound of conversation dragged half of Hawkeye's attention back to the hume and moogle on the roof. By straining her ears, she could hear their conversation, which was carried at levels that a hume could easily understand. Since the moogle was answering the hume and they were both talking to each other, she had no need to respond, although she still listened.

It seemed that her scent hadn't carried to them, if the moogle thought she was male, but she didn't correct them.

"He just said he wasn't going to hurt anyone, although he's lying with his body language," the moogle said, baffling Hawkeye. "He may not be a threat to us, but he is certainly a threat."

Odd. She guessed that the moogle had spent far too much time with humes, because apparently he could read body language but didn't understand the subtle nuances behind them. His understanding of body language was more of rote memorisation than naturally learning about body language through interaction with moogles. It seemed rather like a second language, in that he had to translate them into words before he could understand. There were several mental disorders that made this possible, but Hawkeye wasn't trained to diagnose such things and didn't speculate.

"There is a difference between deference and vulnerability," she said. There was no doubt that she had the ability to kill any one of them, or even more, but it was not a lie, because it was more of an attitude than anything. She was essentially saying there was a guarantee she would not strike back unless pressed, because they had more power. She was meeting the leader, at least, as someone lesser than the leader. She could have approached them with the manner of an equal, portraying something more like I have no intent to harm, but it would probably not be as easily accepted when she had apparently attacked.

The bangaa cannoneer already had the hand cannon trained on her, as expected. She couldn't tell exactly if he was aiming at her head or chest, but it would be fatal either way. She was much more surprised, though, when another bangaa sprang onto a roof and leapt toward her, moving rather quickly.

"If you're too close, you'll hinder your cannoneer," she told the leaping bangaa, with the tone of edged patience, but it didn't matter. She removed the earplugs by the string when the clan leader made the signal. Hawkeye guessed correctly, because the leader began to speak.

"Moogle," she said. "Come down from there so we may discuss this matter without alerting the spies in this town. We already have the problem of having some of our members out the survey the area, we don't need more fireworks to alert them further."

"Everyone," the rev said, "be at the ready, but don't attack." He looked at Hawkeye and addressed her. "Listen to the lady. It would be best to speak of this in lowered tones."

Hawkeye gave the rev a grim smile and hopped off the roof, using her wings to slow her descent. She landed lightly, though her shell pouch thumped against her more forcefully. Revs and vieras both had very good ears, so their whispers were quieter than a hume's, but she could still hear snatches of the conversation.

"They should already know," Hawkeye said, at normal volume. "I'm a competent tracker, but not a professional, and it was not difficult. You couldn't hire anyone if you didn't spread the word. Clan Khamja does the same, except they hire entire clans. I heard from both, because you cannot control the spread of information you freely released. Others have heard from both clans, and several are both interested and intelligent enough to realise the connection. That's not the only way to find you, but it was an easy one."

Gradivus saw Hawkeye float down and sighed, guessing there wasn't a need to chop anyone's head off, and slid down the ladder the other two had climbed up on, striding over to the combination and giving a disappointed laugh.

"And here I thought I might actually get a fight... and jussst for the record, if he doesssn't want to be hindered, he'll come clossser." Giving another noise, he stood with his hand on his sword handle just in case things got messy, grumbling something about gunners and their bloody hiding.

---

Avan kept his arrow trained on Hawkeye until he heard her voice, and gave a gasp, quickly stowing his weapons and trotting on over, bowing his head slightly in shame and giving a melancholy sigh.

"Sir Cid, I ask that you please give me a solid whack on the back of my head," Avan said sadly, casting a sad glance at Hawkeye as he said it. "I've aimed my weapon at a lady, which is unforgivable. Please forgive me Miss."

'What the hell was that kupo...'
Sonja had be now run behind the cart and - she was hoping - out of view of the assailant. She was mumbling, though mostly indistictly to herself again. And Choco smelled even worse up close, to boot, especially after ruffling himself up so. Kate was still struggling a bit with him.
She wasn't used to this, and it took an attack like this to show her that, it seemed. Her life had been on the streets and her fights with little more than thieves, thugs and lowlives - just having a Goug Mk2 was enough to deter many, and a warning shot almost always enough to startle and scare on off, but everything she knew was just street tricks.
'What have I gotten myself... wait, kupo... Thalia... Where-'
Sonja poked her head up, letting out a sigh, Thalia was there in the cart, looking shaken but unscarred. Sonja lifted herself up wearily into the cart herself, sitting carefully next to the Nu Mou, hoping not to shock or startle her more. The rest of the clan seemed trained on the Flintlock as it was, no less than five weapons pointed her way, apparently she had been the one - everything seemed overly civil though, considering that cannon on her back she had fired on the poor girl with moments earlier.
'Th- Thalia, Kupo?... Are.. are you okay? Are you hurt, Kupo?' she stuttered. Thalia was even worse off in a situation like this, she could tell. Normally a distraction like this would be Sonja's cue to slink off into the shadows somewhere, but she felt genuinely worried for the girl.

Thalia wiggled in Roy's grasp, her body still adjusting to her first - and hopefully last - teleportation, not reacting well to being suddenly dragged toward the rocking cart. Choco was still squirming, and Kate could be heard hissing curses in the common tongue and her native Viera, as well as something that sounded oddly like the kweh-calls of a Chocobo.

The Nu Mou stumbled at bit as she was dragged, wincing at Roy's vice-like grip on her delicate limp, and followed him, climbing into the cart when he let go of her, and rubbing her arm. That hurt...

"Hnn?" She squeaked when addressed by Sonja, looking over at her nervously. "Oh, I'm...I'm fine, I suppose... My arm hurts a bit but..." She trailed off.

---

Greed stepped worward beside Ming as the action unfolded, looking down at the new Moogle female, his purple eyes shining in the eyeslits of his helm and a rather intimidating spear clutched in his hand. He grinned down at her, showing abnormally sharp and plentiful fangs.

"And why, may I asssk, my dear misssss, did you come looking for ussss?" He snarled in his best intimidating voice and puffing his chest out a bit. "We at the mighty Clan Virtue do not fear Khamja, ssso we have no need to hide. They are no match for usss."

The Bangaa glanced knowingly, if only for a moment, toward the towering Revgaji next to Ming.

((Look at me I am the queen of crapposts))

"Information has been released to recruit members. They were to arrive on a certain day, told that we would be gone the next day. I am well aware that there will be a clan waiting for us further in the woods. That is expected. But, like my member here has stated, We do not fear those that are still wetting their diapers trying to play up to the level of the past clan."

Ming glances over at Cid to study his reaction to Greed's statement, pleased to see that he didn't even twitch a moustache. She then turns on her heel and looks at the cart, seeing that at least a few of the clan members listened to orders.

"If you plan on following us, then jump into the cart. either way, we are leaving now."

With that, she starts down the road, hitting the side of the cart to signal Kate to start moving so they could finally leave this small town and deal with whatever is out there waiting for them.

"Breda better be ready for us. And keeping a watch on our enemies. This will be the first battle all of you as Virtue members. This will be quite the battle."

Ming then walks past her sister and further down the road.

--------------------------

Roy leaps into cart, landing next to Thalia and letting out a sigh. He glances over to her and gently lifts her wrist in his hand, studying it silently.

"...Sorry...I didn't mean to hurt you, I just wanted to get you safely into the cart...after the cannon fire, we can't take anymore chances by staying still any longer. Ming was already on edge and bitchy, this will only make things worse for us."

He looks down at the hay, shaking his head. He still couldn't believe the mess they were in after rescuing this girl from those Seeq and Bangaa.

"...We need to leave Kate."

Roy then glances over to the edge of the cart when Al slipped in, holding his staff in his mouth so he had free hands. After landing with a 'flop' he takes Thalia's hand and waves his hand over it, a white light flickering to life then fading.

"This should ease the pain Thalia...."

-------------------------------------

Cid glances at the male viera, a small smile on his face at the rabbit's request. He places a hand on his shoulder and turns him toward the cart.

"Get into the cart or Ming will be the one to hit you."

Without hesitation, Saul leapt into the cart, clearly excited to join the clan. Paul, on the other hand, sighed, and took off his cap, revealing his differently coloured eyes. He entered the cart, dreading the moment when someone would ask, or, worse yet, recognize him and give him to the judge friend they have!

(Tch, still probbably not long enough! I normally don't have a problem with long posts, but I can't do it with these two, for some reason...)

Hawkeye glanced at the sniper viera, a smile of amusement on her face. Chivalry or sexism?

"Wariness would have been an understandable response, but generally only firearms and crossbows should be used for the task," Hawkeye said. "Standard bows, when drawn, and blades within melee range present imminent threats, and poku, they should only be used when your intent is coercion. If you never again aim and draw an arrow at someone you don't intend to kill, I'll forgive you, ku?"

When the spear-bearing bangaa spoke, she noted his attempts to be intimidating. It was rather hard not to, because he was good at it. But she had her gun by her side. She smiled politely and bowed her head in acquiescence. "Of course," she said. Their actions didn't match their words (if Clan Khamja presented no threat, why did they need new clan members?), but they had a judge, so Clan Khamja certainly presented no threats to their lives in battle. "I was given the choice to protect or destroy," she said, to answer his question. "I'm better at destruction, but I find guarding something is a worthier task."

Hawkeye had noticed activity in the woods, which might have been Clan Khamja or their employees, but if that was the best they could do, it was rather possible that she was overestimating them. Unless they had a plan, they were acting as though they were novices. Granted, those actually involved in the attack probably were. An experienced clan would know that a large battle was unnecessary for most tasks.

She hopped into the cart as invited, using her wings to help her. She glanced at the moogle in front of her (he looked completely miserable, even from behind, and he smelled of fear), but moved around him and instead headed over to Thalia. Hawkeye sat down facing Thalia, setting her cannon in front of her.

"I'm sorry for scaring you," she said, "but I had to test you. It's good that you're not paranoid, kupo, since it would not have helped."

Hawkeye removed the shells from her hand cannon and put them in her pouch, so she could safely sling the cannon onto her back. Since they were going to fight in the forest, to the leader's knowledge, her gun would work better.

Avan sighs dejectedly, sitting inside the cart and looking down. "As an assassin, most of the time my arrow is for killing purposes, but I can't help relying on disablement methods on somebody who does not seem to want to kill me. Furthermore, my noble grandfather's teachings have stopped me from ever, ever trying to kill a lady."

Looking out at the sky, he gave himself a quick knock on the back of the head before sitting still.

---

Gradivus gave a snarl of satisfaction, climbing not into the cart, but on the very top, confident that he could stay on. He looked forward to a fight with someone other than a thug on the streets, as that was all he seemed to have fought for the past month was the bloody pigs that skulked around.

(hggleblah)

Lodrick watched carefully as the discussion proceeded. He never took his eyes off the Flintlock and only disarmed his cannon when the Moogle had disarmed hers. She wouldn't be a threat anymore, and keeping her close was the best option for keeping her quiet. He was glad the incident had sorted itself out. Stowing the unused shells he slung his cannon over his back and made his way to the cart. Unceremoniously he jumped into it and took a seat where there was room. Looking from Hawkeye to Thalia, he said with a smirk, "Maybe you'll get used t' being frightened at this rate." He was surprised the Nu Mou hadn't keeled over after two near-death experiences in one morning. The Bangaa paused to think and added, "T'is a shame fear is something you have t' overcome th' hard way. Y'arent too shell-shocked after that, are you?" He grinned inwardly at his own pun. Perhaps it would lighten the mood.

---

Once all the ruckus had died down, Abelat had finally gotten the skittish Luroa back onto her feet. He was pleased to notice she was not injured in any way, and he positioned her behind the cart, ready to keep an eye out as they travelled.

Last edited:
'It's.. It's good you're okay kupo' Sonja managed before Thalia was covered in attention once more. The Moogle slinked herself into the corner of the cart, curling up and rummaging with her bag on her lap.
"This is pathetic.." She thought to herself, face crinkled in frustration. "I thought I was better than this. Look at me, going from street-wise badass to whimpering dreamhare in one cannon shot flat. This wasn't a good idea.. after all was it.. kupo-po-po..."
These clanners were something else, and suddenly Sonja was feeling awful. She learned how to deal with punks and streeters, but suddenly throwing herself in the middle of this left her feeling like she had that first time being outright abused and mugged. Those small-time chumps were just as helpless as she was. She could have ducked out, sure.. but then what?
"I promised, kupo..."
Looking up and closing her bag, Sonja glanced up to most of the clan filing into the cramped cart. No doubt they were leaving in a matter of moments. She opted to scuttle closer to Thalia to make a bit of room, leaning softly against her. The Nu Mou was probably the only one she could call a friend - and only barely having only met that morning, but if nothing else she was just as lost now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

'My my, perhaps you should have reconsidered then'
The hunched Nu Mou drenched in blood-red robes looked somewhat out of place in the forest like this, the filtered light giving her features an unsettling vibe. She twirled a full potion bottle in front of her eyes, liquid sloshing in a weak cyclone inside, examining it with a keen eye. Frowning, she popped the cork off and took a light sip. Taking a moment to swish it about, she promptly spit it to the ground with a grimace crossing her face.
'Pah, could have guessed. Low grade rubbish.'
Rolling her eyes, she nonchalantly cast the bottle over her shoulder - a small smashing crack echoing off the trees as it landed forcefully over an exposed root, spilling it's contents about.
'...But what's this? Keh-heh-heh.. you don't say...'

((Hngrarrgble crappost))

Thalia wiggled in place in the cart, a bit overwhelmed by all the attention she was getting. She curled her tail around her leg and shifted her legs about her, making a non-committal 'mmmm' sound and flipped the book in her lap open.

"I'm fine, really, you all don't have to...worry about me or anything. Just a little...you know. Surprised...?" She muttered, not looking up at anyone. "Thank you, though..." She added, with a quick glance at Al.

She did look up when Sonja leaned into her, a small smile playing on her round face, and she curled her tail around the Moogle. She then turned back to the book and flipped a few pages, the thick yellowed parchment covered in half-faded ink scrawlings of words written in a strange language. The page the Nu Mou stopped on featured a picture of a large snake-like dragon with a crown of horns and a spiny tail coiled around the world. a few browned stains were spattered over the corners of the page, recognizable to any who saw it often as dried blood, but Thalia didn't seem to know that.

"Lookit this, Sonja..." Thalia whispered, nudging the girl gently, and smiling. "This picture is cool. It's so old but the ink looks so fresh..."

---

Greed snorted and climbed into the cart himself, slipping his spear into a holder on his back, and he took a spot next to Al and patted the youngster on the back with a large clawed hand. He smiled, showing sharp teeth.

"You ssseem down, kiddo. Sssomething wrong?" He hissed, lowering his head so they were eye-to-eye.

Up at the front of the cart, Kate dug her heels gently into Choco's sides, making the bird squeak and start off trotting, his large clawed feet clacking on the cobblestones and the cart rumbling along behind him. He didn't seem to have a problem with the weight, but was annoyed nonetheless. The Judge followed behind quietly, the armoured man and his matching mount drawing quite a few curious stares; Judged clans were a rarity.

----

In the forest, at the edge of a large clearing, a small fire was crackling happily in a ring of stones, a hand-crafted pot set just above it on some stones. Water simmered inside, and a few chunks of meat and vegetables floated around in it. A rather large Seeq dressed in the average Ranger attire sat before it, picking his teeth.

"Tch, Dreamhare are bloody stringy. But it's somethin', and somethin' is better than nuthin'." He yawned, scratching at the back of his head with a large hand. "Now wheres Ming with the newbies. They're late...."

"Hey, let me go!"

The Seeq turned his head and sighed, getting to his feet and sauntering over to where a skinny Hume thief hung from a tree by his ankles. He poked the Hume in the forehead, sending him rocking back and forth gently, and frowned.

"You stay there, bub. You gunna spy on me, you gunna get caught. Don't mess with a Ranger, kid."

"Disablement," Hawkeye said, quashing the mute horror and slight nausea that wanted to assault her. She couldn't help colouring her voice with disbelief, though. "Of course." It was possible he was right, in that extensive study of the anatomy of all races might provide regions that were safe to shoot. But she didn't really believe it. With advanced white magic, there wasn't a significant risk for people who would otherwise be permanently crippled by a shot to the shoulder, but she had killed far more people with a shot to the leg than she had intended to. It seemed particularly cruel if he only did that against someone whom he didn't feel was a threat. There was a word in Kupo that came to mind: psychopath, from the root word monster.

Disquieted, she glanced at the cannoneer, who was unloading his cannon, and then at the other firearms user. The fusilier leaned against Thalia, looking like a child seeking comfort. Although Hawkeye was unimpressed with the moogle's earlier shots into the air, she still felt some sympathy. The fusilier probably wasn't used to this.

"Are you alright?" Hawkeye asked, voice kind, as Thalia showed the fusilier an old book. It was hard to not notice the dry blood on the yellowed pages, but she'd seen enough people killed that it didn't bother her... much.

(( It makes sense in Kupo... if you can believe Kupo has root words. ))

"Of course, that's only when I use my arrows anyway. It's easier to disable a person when you get closer, and of course I would assassinate any target I was ordered to kill... my beliefs still standing, or course."

Satisfied with the assassin logic he gave, Avan leaned back to relax as the cart continued on.

---

Gradivus quietly ate his sandwhich as he watched the town go by, leaning back to listen to Avan's little rant about his beliefs. He gave a snort. Man or woman, anyone who got in his way was going down.

'W-Wow, Kupo...' Sonja squeaked as Thalia opened her book to her, the pictures within looking as if they could leap straight off the page. Still, it seemed somewhat odd, for an advanced book like this to have such robust illustrations. The picture itself was rather unsettling, the humongous serpent coiled around the very world as it was known. Was it supposed to mean something? Sonja couldn't make heads or tails of most of the information on the page, and found herself clinging lightly to Thalia's tail - holding it closely like a plush toy.
Before she could think any further on it, however, she seemed to be addressed again. Squeaking and looking up, she noted that she had not even noticed that the same flintlock that had opened fire on them had entered the cart herself, as if tagging along with them. Sonja's stomach churned - yet she seemed more concerned than malevolent. Even still, though, she must have looked so immature right now to the obviously experienced Moogle. She staggered a bit in her answer.
'Uh.. Um-... I'm-.. I'm okay, K-Kupo.. T-.. Thanks...'

---------------------------------------------------------------------

'So everyone is out to play today, how odd for such a place~ What must be the occasion~' The Nu Mou whispered to herself under her breath, a mischievous grin crossing her face. 'A ranger not after his usual quarry.. and he's even made a catch~ Keh-heh~ And with a ranger comes..'
Pausing mid-sentence, she pulled a small, delicate looking bottle from a pocket within her robe. It looked to be filled with a thick, frothing smoke, and sealed tightly enough that the stopper would never come out on its own. With a delicate, underhanded toss, it was sent in a light arc from the Nu Mou's hands - bursting as soon as it hit the ground some 30 feet away, producing an immediate cloud of smoke expanded by a quick, yet nearly silent explosion. Within seconds, the sound of rope whiplash echoed through the woods, a leg-tie whipping its way through the smog and into a caught position, swinging lazily sans the weight of a true catch.
'Tch, so predictable, Kehehe~' She snorted with amusement to herself, slinking off in the other direction around the makeshift campsite.

Cid rounds the others up and slipped into the cart. He sat near the front and watched the road before them in case they were followed. He slipped his hand into his pocket and grips the deck, a slight smile on his face. He then glances over at Thalia and looks at the book she held open with the picture of the snake.

"Hm...this looks quite old...and seems rather worn and ages. More so with the spots on the sides."

Cid then looks back at the road behind them, watching it give way to dirts and roots of the forest.

"...You do know what those spots are, correct Pup?"

Cid smiles a bit more, slipping a card from his pocket. He could just smell the heat of battle to come. Being cooped up in a Inn only made him itch for a fight more.

-------------------------------------------------------

Roy stared at the book in Thalia's hands, silent as the grave as he looked at the pages with her. He could sense that there was magic, it was one of those books, but what made him stare harder was the blood and serpent on the page she stopped at. He slipped his hand in his bag and brushed the back of his hand on a item, feeling himself calm a bit.

"I wonder...what at picture could mean."

------------------------------------------------

Ming walked along the path, keeping an eye out for any movement in the woods. She sniffed the air around her a bit, noting that the smell of something cooking off in the distance. She smiled a bit, seeing that her didn't leave without them.

Her ear twitched as the sound of something snapping a twig came from the bush up the path. She stops and rests a hand on the hilt of her sword, holding a hand up to stop the cart and Judge.

"Maes. They're close."

Hawkeye glanced at the assassin. She thought the original subject had been about wariness etiquette, but even if that was true, it wasn't so anymore. Regardless, she did not like him much. If necessary, Hawkeye would shoot at a shin to disable a target, but due to the inevitable screams of pain, she loathed disabling others by means of destroying a part of their body. It would never be her first choice. (A part of her was aware that, when suspicious of someone, she would be pointing her gun at a lethal area. To a skilled bowman, it was hardly any different, because he would not accidentally release the arrow into the target's leg. She ignored that part.) She hoped the assassin was referring to disabling magic rather than cutting a nerve or muscle, though.

She returned her gaze to the fusilier, noting with a hint of guilt that the other moogle showed fear of Hawkeye. Hawkeye didn't know how much of it was nerves and how much was because the fusilier honestly thought Hawkeye was a threat. She couldn't say whether she preferred either one.

"We'll probably be working together, even if you're not a ku kupoku," Hawkeye said. She was comfortable with using the Kupo word for a firearms user that supported allies from afar, but spoke mostly Common so others did not feel uncomfortable. "I'm Hawkeye. What are you called?"

She felt the cart stop, then faintly heard the leader say, from outside, "Maes. They're close."

"Should we go outside, then?" Hawkeye said, standing. "We'll be an easy target, otherwise, if they attack the cart."

Although her headpiece was uncomfortable and shifted her head slightly off-balance, she didn't remove it. In the forest, guerrilla fighting tactics would be necessary, and her red pompom was too noticeable in this setting.

"Kupo, is that what I think it is?"

A small moogle and a woman were walking down a small dirt path in the middle of the forest. Both of them were tired from walking for what seemed to have been days. In reality, it had only been a few hours, however.

"That would depend on what you think it is," the woman, Ryu, said. Her voice was a deeper for that of a woman, and it was rather monotone.

"I think, kupo, that it is a cart up in the distance!" the moogle exclaimed excitedly. Ottoran was his name, and he was rather small, even for a moogle. His wings were rather disproportionate to his actual size. He was saying this because, through the trees, he could see a Chocobo cart. "Do you know what that means?"

"All too well," Ryu answered, pulling out her bow and an arrow from her back. Although her mouth was covered by a scarf, her eyes lit up in a way that it was easy to tell that she was smiling.

"Kupo, we can steal the cart, get their money, throw them off, and we'll be home free!" Ottoran said happily.

Without another word, the two darted forward towards the road, and stopped, remaining shrouded by the bushes and trees. Ottoran turned to Ryu and nodded. Ottoran turned back towards the cart, closed his eyes, and began muttering something. The words sounded entirely like gibberish. Then, Ottoran looked back up at the cart, and made a gesture towards the chocobo. A light sound of ringing chimes filled the air, and a chunk of ice began to form around the chocobo's legs, making it impossible to move.

Last edited:
Gradivus gave a growl, already on the roof so he could turn around and scan the area, before giving out a call. "Your outnumbered, ssso I'd walk out quietly if I were you... or ssstay hidden until we find you, that sssounds like more fun."

Unsheathing his sword, he started sniffing the air lightly for any unwelcome people, noting something was cooking in the distance, and tried to ignore it as he closed his eyes and tested the air.

---

Avan frowned as the cart began to slow, before staring at Ming. "Your orders, Miss Ryuu...?"

(( Isn't Avan inside the cart, while Ming is outside and leading? It's got a roof and walls, so. ))

"You're outnumbered," Hawkeye heard, "ssso I'd walk out quietly if I were you... or ssstay hidden until we find you, that sssounds like more fun."

She recognised the voice as the bangaa that had been rushing toward her with a sword, and frowned. "We're being attacked already?" Vieras had good senses. Hawkeye had expected that their enemies were not entirely prepared to attack them, though capable, by the time the leader noticed. The others were hesitant to react, but while doing so, they remained in the cart. The clan might have had a protocol for these situations, but in Hawkeye's experience, remaining in a small area like the cart, especially when they couldn't easily strike back, was definitely not ideal.

She walked to the exit of the cart, focusing slightly and muttering something in Kupo. The air shimmered around her, and for a moment she was surrounded by what looked like a very fluffy cloud, then the wool condensed into a hollow sphere around her. It then became transparent, although everything outside the sphere looked faintly green to her. From the outside, she looked like she was encased in a transparent green bubble, but those with sharper eyes could see it was a yellow bubble encasing a blue one.

Hawkeye leapt outside, and immediately darted to the side of the cart so she could clearly see the leader. There wasn't much danger in being left behind if they decided to move on, because chocobos mainly offered the advantage of endurance, and not sapping the strength of the fighters. Also, the chocobo's legs were encased in ice. That would be easily solved, but it was possible that the chocobo would have to be healed before they continued, if the ice was too cold. It was not the typical first move of an enemy that wanted to take the book, and possibly Thalia, at all costs, but perhaps these Khamja-employees were different.

"Are you comfortable with liberal use of lethal force?" Hawkeye asked the leader, ears swivelling to listen for any sign of movement. She sniffed the air, too, smelling food and hints of other travellers, but there was nothing that really helped.

-

Most people would feel at least slightly embarrassed if they walked around with a sign saying, "WILL HEAL OR KILL FOR FOOD OR GIL". Lucis was evidently not one of those people, which was easy to tell because she was holding it rather comfortably. It might have had something to do with the small half-loaf of bread in her hand, which implied some success. Possibly she was reassured by Deus, a viera wearing a white mage robe, walking beside her, or the small bag of more bread in his arms.

She made an irritated expression and rested her sign against her shoulder so she could pull a hair out of her mouth. "Moogle bakers," she said, glancing at it and flicking it away. "They should at least wear gloves."

Deus scoffed. "Why? To please absurdly furless vieroids like you?"

"Because it's just wrong to leave a bit of yourself in the food you make for other people," Lucis said.

"You didn't mind when we were eating dreamhare sandwiches," Deus said.

"That's different, because it's not hair, and because I wanted to eat dreamhare. I've never wanted to eat moogle." There was a pause. Deus gave her a disbelieving Look. "Okay," she corrected, "I've never wanted to eat moogle fur. Except maybe those pompoms, since they've got a whole species after them, so there must be something interesting hidden in there."

Deus smirked. "Rumour has it that it holds a secondary brain, but few people have ever performed pompom surgery, so we might never know. I'll try it, someday."

"Yeah. Hey, do you smell that?" Lucis sniffed the air. "I think it's cooking meat."

"Yes," Deus said, using the tone that meant obviously. "That's why we moved off the path."

"Are you going to kill the person for their food?"

"Possibly."

Deus's ears twitched, and he glanced at the clearing ahead. He heard movement that didn't match the seeq's actions, but he stepped into the clearing anyway. Lucis stepped in beside him, giving a suspicious look at something near where she'd just stepped.

"Hello, friend," Lucis called cheerfully, turning around so she could see the seeq and what he was cooking. She waved the hand holding the bread. "Want to share?"

Choco let out a loud and rather pained 'kweh' as his feet were frozen in place, and flailed his wings rather helplessly. Kate made a nearly matching squeal up on his back, and slid a bit up his neck when he stopped suddenly. She looked around franticly, then slid off his back.

"You stay there, Choco, you'll be fine. I'm going to scout around a bit." She said, and darted off into the forest, her rapier drawn.

In the cart, Thalia squeaked a bit as the cart shook a bit, and pulled her tail - and Sonja - closer to her in worry, hugging the book tight to her chest. She made a soft squeaking sort of sound as well, and scooted a bit closer to the nearest non-moogle person (Roy), pulling Sonja along as well.

"What's going on...? Why did we stop?" She whimpered, hunching her shoulders. Then the moogle fusilier said something about being attacked, and the nu mou whimpered yet again, but didn't move.

Greed hopped out of the cart as quickly as he could, however,his spear drawn and his helm flipped down over his face. a few beads of icy cold energy were starting to form around his slightly-open maw.

---

In the woods, the seeq whipped his head around when one of his traps went off, and pulled his bow out, loading the large weapon with a short, nail-like arrow, and looked around for where it came from. After a few moments of nothing, he backed into towards the fire a bit more, still scanning the area with his sharp eyes.

Then, he heard footfalls, and he spun to face them, bow still at the ready, but lowered it at the sight of the mostly-harmless looking pair. He frowned a bit, but didn't put the bow away.

"Hello, friend, want to share?" one of them said.

"Well, you're welcome to sit, but I be waiting for my clan; they should be here soon...but a more pressing matter is at hand. Did either of ya see someone armed with smoke bombs back there...? I coulda sworn..." He said, sounding generally friendly, but a tone of worry in his voice.

"Little help here...?" The hume thief mumbled, sounding a bit dizzy.

Back
Top Bottom