• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

NaNoWriMo 2011

I am trying again, and hopefully will not be so distracted by RP that I can't make the goal. x3

No idea what I'm writing, but I could do my novel idea, or one of my fanfic concepts that I'm getting around to when I finish Legend's Rage.

Apparently my English teacher is actually going to let up on homework in November, and the full 50,000 words will count as extra credit.

YES.

I need your English teacher. Apparently, English teachers in my school haven't even heard of NaNo :/

Well, neither had she. I told her, then everyone else in the class found out and hated me for a few days because they thought the was going to increase the already-big workload. Then that happened.

Apparently she's participating herself, so. She prob'ly wants to grade as few papers as possible during that time period.

In other news, I need plot help!

I've been insanely busy in college so far, but I actually think that makes a great atmosphere for writing (not that I've really gotten any writing done here yet...), so I'll most likely be participating.

As for what I want to write... I have a crazy idea in the wings, but the problem is the characters are pretty much based directly off of real-life people, and I'm not sure if I can justify doing that. I always had issues writing with real-life people in fictional situations. And I'm not sure if they can conveniently become enough of their own character that it won't matter.

In November my research paper class will be done so I should be more able to do this!

My only big issue (other than college apps) is what to do; I have an FFTA-ish fic to write (that is demented. no seriously) but I'm not sure whether or not to do it.

Zhorken said:
I've pondered trying to write 50000 words of ASB reffings in November, but I'm nooot really sure I could manage anything close to that. (I have no ideas for anything monolithic I could write 50000 words of.)

A mosh pit battle might take too long for you to rack up 50000 in time, since it takes forever for everyone to order commands... Maybe just take tons of battles that only have two trainers but a lot of pokemon on the field?

In other news, I need plot help!

Go go go, spill the beans! What do you need help with?

If I don't forget about NaNoWriMo for the third time in a row, I'll try working on a Let's Play. Not sure if I should go with a Pokémon game or with something that will most likely be less mainstream within this forum. And I might also try, along with it, to do the reffing as NaNoWriMo material thing.

All of this assuming I won't be drowning in a pit of tests during November, of course.

I really want to try again this year, but I just know I'll stress myself out horribly like last year. I wrote the Prologue, which actually came out OK, but on Chapter 1 I got horrible Writer's Block, and decided to quit. I think I could do 50,000 words if I really worked for it, but High School and everything, bleh...

On the bright side when I was twelve I did the junior version and managed to get 25,000 words, which was my goal :D Sure it's not much in comparison to the real Nano, but it's something I've actually accomplished in life (and it gave me a great lift into getting into the High School program I'm in now).

EDIT: After finding the document that contained last year's story (creatively titled "Untitled") I discovered I quit on Chapter 2, not 1. Reading it again, the first part was messy of course, but the end of Chapter 1 is what really got me to stop. Now i want to fix it :(

Last edited:
Well. I know I'll be entering in some way, shape or form; my current plan is to update Troll Mafia damnit and then write that fic of it I know I'm going to do eventually. I'd count my reffings, too.

At the same time I'm so severely tempted to try to write something original as the submission, but I have no plot or story ideas. I've heard no word about NaNoWriMo at my school, and it's unlikely that anyone's heard of it. :( Still, if I hear any sort of information saying word is being let up for NaNo then I think I'll go ahead and do some sort of original thing.

This is actually going to be my first time, so!

EDIT: I have an idea for the original. It's probably pretty terrible and therefore I'm never going to post it, but ASDFGHJKL I actually really want to write this why D:

I have all these ideas and random plotlines and I have a feeling I'm going to fall flat on my face come November.

Last edited:
If I don't forget about NaNoWriMo for the third time in a row, I'll try working on a Let's Play. Not sure if I should go with a Pokémon game or with something that will most likely be less mainstream within this forum. And I might also try, along with it, to do the reffing as NaNoWriMo material thing.

All of this assuming I won't be drowning in a pit of tests during November, of course.

TERRARIA

Because Minecraft is too mainstream.

I'm going to attempt it this year, I think. Again. Last year's failed miserably. I have a project I've been working on for a while now and I'm going to finish the planning in October and see if I can get it done.

I'm going to write this project anyway but NaNo does give me a good reason to give it a go. May not be able to finish due to actually having to attend lectures this year but w/e.

Last year I barely wrote anything and I didn't even finish the novel later. Which is bad because I'm planning on writing the sequel this year.

Me this summer: OMG I HAVE A STORY TO WRITE AND I CAN DO THIS THIS YEAR

Me right now: *slowly drowns in schoolwork* HOW WILL I DO THISSSS

Never knew such thing existed... At least not in my country lol. I would give it a try if my English vocabulary was more extensive. I know a lot of words, but not all of them are pretty enough.

Also, I'm in the middle of writing my own novel in my native language and I'm a slow writer, so I'm not sure I'd win.

It's international. Don't let its name fool you there. You can also write in any language with which you're comfortable, whether that's English or French or Quenya or Klingon. It doesn't matter!

Oh I was wondering when this would show up! Now I have to pay attention to the forums oh no.

early thread!!!

It's fine if it's early, it gives it more advertisement so people can do "!!! oh is that a thing wow" and decide about doing it, and it reminds people so that they can work on recruiting friends or deciding things or plotting!

oh but I'm busy!

If there's something else you'd rather be doing in all your free time, you'll have to weigh that against how much you'd like doing this, but it's okay if you're busy! The word count is designed so that even pretty busy people can finish it! Additionally:

What if I don't win!

That's fine! If you do your best and try really hard, then it was still worth it! Even if you don't get too close to the goal, you'll still have more words than you would've written otherwise, you still will have gotten all that practice, and you can get some things hammered out about your story and characters! So not winning is totally fine, too!

I've been insanely busy in college so far, but I actually think that makes a great atmosphere for writing (not that I've really gotten any writing done here yet...), so I'll most likely be participating.

I've always felt like it makes a better atmosphere, too! I feel a lot more like writing when things are busy - if you're not maybe you feel lethargic or it's too hard to get started when you could start it lots of other times! And the busy makes it easier to write in a certain time frame instead of procrastinating and it gives you more to think about and that makes it easier to write, too!

As for what I want to write... I have a crazy idea in the wings, but the problem is the characters are pretty much based directly off of real-life people, and I'm not sure if I can justify doing that. I always had issues writing with real-life people in fictional situations. And I'm not sure if they can conveniently become enough of their own character that it won't matter.

It might not be as "conveniently" as you'd think! For NaNoWriMo you have to write quick, right? So you kind of just have to wing reactions and things instead of thinking about them (write whatever comes to you), and that could help a lot for them being their own character, as opposed to writing them slowly and thinking a lot about what the real life people would do!

Maybe you could write some practice things and see how those go and that could help you decide whether to do that story or try to come up with something else?

I really want to try again this year, but I just know I'll stress myself out horribly like last year. I wrote the Prologue, which actually came out OK, but on Chapter 1 I got horrible Writer's Block, and decided to quit. I think I could do 50,000 words if I really worked for it, but High School and everything, bleh...

Don't stress so much, don't worry about Writer's Block. Try really hard not to to worry about it being awful; you really, really can't do too much of that if you want to win. It isn't about writing the best book ever, it's about having fun with others, trying your best, and proving to yourself that you're neat enough to do it! And it's also a lot of practice - when I do something like this for a while, it comes out really awful, but then the next try is better! And the other things are better, too!

Maybe you could try doing a simple plot with something like a lot of plot items that needed to be collected so you always have somewhere to go, or plan in advance, or do a strategy where you have an item or event that always happens if you have Writer's Block! Some people on the NaNoWriMo forums have a thing where they figure out how to put a shovel in the story every time they get stuck, and that helps them stay writing and figure out what else can happen.

Never knew such thing existed... At least not in my country lol. I would give it a try if my English vocabulary was more extensive. I know a lot of words, but not all of them are pretty enough.

Also, I'm in the middle of writing my own novel in my native language and I'm a slow writer, so I'm not sure I'd win.

There's no reason why you can't do NaNoWriMo in another language, really! Even if there were a reason you couldn't submit it to the site, it would still have all the other benefits of participating!

If you think the slow writing is really working out better for you, though (although you could try out being a fast writer!), then that's fine and you can stick with that! Sometimes slow writing can work out, too, if you're dedicated! Speed writing just has lots of benefits like not making you feel stuck or trapped into it for a long time and you can get a lot more done before you give up and you think about the writing more. Also, NaNoWriMo can be fun because it's in a group! I'm sure you could make a good attempt at this if you really wanted to, you just have to think about it and decide if you'd like that or if you'd really rather be doing the slow novel!

So, discussions! What are you planning for NaNoWriMo this year? And cool ideas? People you think you can coerce into joining?

Mom and Dad are doing it! I'm not sure how Dad's will go because he tends to crash really quickly on projects and he feels really busy and stressed right now, but it's still good if he gets any words done, and maybe he'll be able to write more than last year! Mom won last year and she's been working on potential plots and reading lots of writing things, so I think she'll be fine! I am trying to talk someone into joining, but it's really hard because she's only around a tiny bit at a time.

I'm trying to figure out whether I want to write an existing idea from my novel series or write a new thing. I wrote an existing idea last year (that had very little existing stuff about it, granted, but still) and that worked out fine, and I know I can do that. It's discouraged because if you're attached to a thing it's harder to not care if it's terrible, not because it's impossible or morally bad or something (and I'd start from scratch and not count existing words, so).

A new thing kind of feels like a waste when what I really care about is this novel series, but it would also be practice, and I might be able to practice doing plots and things more easily without a bunch of junk floating around. And I could make up a simple plot that would be easy to write! Too, I still want to try really hard to stick to my existing sleep schedule (awake during the day and asleep at night, wow), so that will make things significantly more difficult.

I have plots and characters and settings already for the existing novels, though - really really messy plots that need tons of work before they'll be anything like decent, but they're things. And it's really hard to just make up plots without actually writing! NaNoWriMo might give me an excuse to do more outlining though, maybe. It would be good practice with the characters though even if it's tough or a mess, and I really think I could win regardless, and even if I didn't it would still be a significant amount of work for that story that I wouldn't have done otherwise, right?

Maybe really trying to do something new is kind of trying to take the easy way out, and I'm kind of leaning toward just working with my books, but I'm still not that sure.

Also I'm going to try and do practice writing during October - maybe not ~1700 words a day, but even a hundred a day would be better than what I'm doing now, and anything would help to make NaNoWriMo less extreme and daunting and help to get in the habit.

I think I will either retry that Scyther's Story rewrite I failed so miserably at last year or rewrite Morphic, because otherwise I'll never do it and yay an excuse to be constantly writing about Dave for a month. Neither really counts for NaNo purposes so I probably won't be formally participating per se, just trying to get it done.

No Morphic 2? ; ;

(end drama)

I'm thinking of starting a NaNoWriMo group at my school. It's just that no one knows what it is; not even the English teachers or the nerds. *sigh*

Hiikaru ♥;529313 said:
It might not be as "conveniently" as you'd think! For NaNoWriMo you have to write quick, right? So you kind of just have to wing reactions and things instead of thinking about them (write whatever comes to you), and that could help a lot for them being their own character, as opposed to writing them slowly and thinking a lot about what the real life people would do!

Well, it's not so much that I would have problems writing the story; I think writing it with these characters/real life people would come really easily. It's just that I might be embarrassed if anyone (particularly the people the characters are heavily based on, or people that know those people) ever read it... xD;

A new thing kind of feels like a waste when what I really care about is this novel series, but it would also be practice, and I might be able to practice doing plots and things more easily without a bunch of junk floating around.

I've felt like this, too; I want to get something accomplished on my main project, but at the same time it might be easier to start something new and get a new project going since it has no mess right now haha. But I definitely don't want to give up on my old project; it would just have to wait until after NaNo.

Also I'm going to try and do practice writing during October - maybe not ~1700 words a day, but even a hundred a day would be better than what I'm doing now, and anything would help to make NaNoWriMo less extreme and daunting and help to get in the habit.

That's a pretty good idea, actually! I like it =)

I'm thinking of starting a NaNoWriMo group at my school. It's just that no one knows what it is; not even the English teachers or the nerds. *sigh*

Go for it! You can tell them what it is, someone will have to if they don't know already. =)

Back
Top Bottom