• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Obsessive Scribblers~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yaaay i'm vaugely helpful. That's nice to know although I don't think i'll be able to particpate in the collabs just yet.

why because I effin' love torture

Yes, another one. Well, not really groupics (I learned I don't have the attention span for them a long time ago OTL) but little seperate...ID's, maybe? No idea. Anyway, as you can see, it's a picture of an OSser, their name, and this little photograph below that, which I'll use for a gag or three. I have Linooney, Kaiface, Zora, Danni, Ice, and Blazhy done; and the first three are inked(okay so Daani's partially inked). I plan to do at least ten, maybe more(idearabbits why). And color them with slight shading ffff i won't make it

Oooh~ would it be okies if I could join in with the secret OSer? :3

Heehee, here's my request~
Pretty please could you draw Cecilla and yourself as happy zombies!<333

Thankies Kinova san and Linoone san for your kind comments^^ *hugs*
I love pastel colours :3 They seem to work well with my drawings ^^;
As for the sketchy lineart; that was from when I did my digi-art experiment. I was going to clean it up, but then decided to keep it because it had an interesting effect^^;

I have a dA now, too :3 ;Clicky! :3

Hmm~
I am a little busy with my comic, but I'm sure I can take some time out to take part in the secret OSers.
Let's see, if you get me...then...um...
How about...Ice in fierce combat with you :D?

1. Crazy Linoone [Draw a epicgrouppic Linoone and at least one other OSer of choice.]
2. Kai [I suppose it'd have to be myself lying down on a hill, back up against a tree. Prefferably in the autumn, but any other season is fine, too.]
3. Arylett Dawnsborough [Whoever I get paired up with, draw me and yourself doing something ridiculous together. As for what that ridiculousness is, surprise me.]
4. Kinova [Could you try a couple of my characters? Either the two to the far right in this picture, or any other two from it, up to you. c:]
5. Zora [Whoever gets me should draw...hm... the best OS crack couple they can think of!]
6. Amai-Hime [Pretty please could you draw Cecilla and yourself as happy zombies!<333]
7. Ice the Frosty Cat [Yourself and Ice locked in fierce combat, if you will :D?]

Typh: omfg that is friggin awesome. It looks like I just noticed Solid Snake trying to sneak past. Or I found a contradiction in your testimony. XD

I wonder if many people will drop out of the secret OSser, like people did with ArtMo. It was a real shame, I can't remember many dropping out of '08', so why this year?
what do you mean that I didn't finish i'm just lazy and need to update.

@Kai: OR shooting people with your hand. somehow.

uhhh if i get this shizz done i'll try the seecrit osser, if possible (and allowed why di i do these things to myself) and i'll make sure to make it.

well iirc a lotta people had portfolios i think? i'm just a lazy git so

The list grows...!

@Kai:Well, ArtMo is a huge project over the span of a month, and when you skip a day, you might as well as skip two, or three, or four... Procrastination sets in.

I highly doubt that anyone will drop secret OSer though, mainly because it's only one picture, so it's not as easy to procrastinate on, and you know that there's someone expecting your picture somewhere in the world, and that's pretty awesome in itself. You wouldn't want to let the person/thing you're drawing for down...!

@Typh: YOU ARE AWESOME. I love the poses~ I'm so happy and stuff. And Kai is funny. Good luck on finishing all those pictures~

@Kinova: Thanks for answering the questions! And your pictures are purttyful, yes. The colors are nice and soft. UV is nice and floaty. Her hands and mouth are very natural-looking and therefore awesome. I love the surprised expression.

The longer my post is, the more my grammar starts failing. What is this.

The list grows...!

@Kai:Well, ArtMo is a huge project over the span of a month, and when you skip a day, you might as well as skip two, or three, or four... Procrastination sets in.

I highly doubt that anyone will drop secret OSer though, mainly because it's only one picture, so it's not as easy to procrastinate on, and you know that there's someone expecting your picture somewhere in the world, and that's pretty awesome in itself. You wouldn't want to let the person/thing you're drawing for down...!

@Typh: YOU ARE AWESOME. I love the poses~ I'm so happy and stuff. And Kai is funny. Good luck on finishing all those pictures~

@Kinova: Thanks for answering the questions! And your pictures are purttyful, yes. The colors are nice and soft. UV is nice and floaty. Her hands and mouth are very natural-looking and therefore awesome. I love the surprised expression.

The longer my post is, the more my grammar starts failing. What is this.

@Typh: BANG! xD I love that. Can't wait to see how mine turns out~

And uh Secret OSser must get in D: Whoever draws me, I request that they draw Blazhy abusing its ninjatoes in some way! Yes! ...Or if you'd rather not go down that route, anything creatively funny is fine :3

Edit: Bah I just saw Kinova's critique OTL Yeah, several people have pointed out the right hand thing, and I completely forgot to fix it. Thanks~
Too busy now for critique but I'll do it later I promise x_x

Last edited:
hey look it's minks coming to disgrace the thread with bad arts and-

Hiii is it a bad idea if I join and the first thing I put is a WIP? |D;;
Link

I have to draw another ID thing? ffff
feh i was planning to draw a minks anyhow cause yeah. Kinda tiny person + bloody cleaver = amusement.

SO yeah no problem o: I should start doing that too; I guess.

Huh. I like it c: It's keeping nicely into your style from what I can see and d'aww dolly. Atlhough she's kinda missing ears (unless you don't draw those or they are they and I'm just that blind OTL) and doesn't really seem to be holding the doll.

^protip: Don't use different colors for your font. It's very hard to read on certain skins.
But the pictures are cute.

Huh. I like it c: It's keeping nicely into your style from what I can see and d'aww dolly. Atlhough she's kinda missing ears (unless you don't draw those or they are they and I'm just that blind OTL) and doesn't really seem to be holding the doll.

:'D

Uhhh I don't draw ears :C And I guess I can bend the arm to make it seem like she's holding the doll, I'll edit later to show you how it went.

I was comparing pictures from when I was 10 to now, and I think I've sorta improved. :3

ALSO DID I MENTION I GOT A TABLETTTTT? :O

EDIT: Hiiii

Last edited:
'kay, just going to stir up a few discussion topics in an attempt to make this place more active.

Firstly, for those of you who do digital art, what sort of method do you use for lineart and colouring?
Personally, I use the pen tool, with a 5px simulated pressure brush. This usually means the line goes really thin prematurely (which is quite obvious in the older pages in my comic), so I either plot the pen points out further than the lineart on the paper, or I double back over the thin parts.
As for colouring, I use cel-shading of sorts. I'm crap with highlights so I only use two shades of a colour most of the time. I'm fond of patterns in backgrounds too~

I've started learning how to use Flash in College, so I've been fiddling around with it for the past fortnight. It's an interesting program to use and it's actually pretty easy. If I had a tablet, I'm sure I'd probably do some serious pictures in it xD
Animating isn't so easy; though that's fairly self-evident.
I've been working on a little project related to my comic, but so far most of content is pans of still images. I need to start practicing walk cycles if I want it to be any good. Anyone have any advice for someone new to animation =P?

Also, is it just me, or do you sometimes completely forget how to draw for a while? I know how to draw a basic skeleton properly, but for the life of me, I couldn't get it right today, despite it being a fairly simple pose.
Then again, the fact that I'd been up till 3 in the morning yesterday might have had something to do with it, but I digress ._.

Also, this is something I drew a few weeks ago, when I was doodling action-y pose to practice. Aside from the short right leg, what could I improve on?

For lineart, I just use a 3px round brush and sketch away. That's... actually all there is to it. I'm boring. :<
As for colouring, I often use a 5px brush or higher, depending on how large and detailed the place I'm colouring is, and do some very rough cellshading. After that, I take a finer brush, set the flow setting to very low (10% or so, most of the time), and use that to blend the colours. Occasionally I may use the eraser tool, again, on a low flow setting, to add a few highlights, but really, there isn't much variation in how I colour at all.
Using a low flow setting is immensely helpful, though. Not only can you shade smoothly with it, you can add tints and stuff like that. I use Photoshop CS4, though, so I don't know if you can set the flow on other programs.

I'm an utter newbie at Flash, as well, so I'd appreciate advice~ I'll need to use it a lot next year, I think.

Finally, critique time. *rubs hands* Ice, I adore your lineart :'D It's so clean and the lines are weighted and everything and aaa. Okay. Anyway, her right upper arm seems too long - it's longer than her right forearm, and her left upper arm. And her right hand is smaller than her left, which is pretty obvious, but I thought I'd point that out anyway. Also, see her left hand/arm, where it goes into the sleeve? I do believe you've left out a line or two, so it makes it look like her arms are rather pudgy and fill her entire sleeve. And... well, I'm not expert on human anatomy, but that's just about all I can see that is wrong. Your anatomy is quite good, really, and so is your shading.

As for news on my end... well, this is pretty old, but I got an interview to get into this art program at my school :D The interview's on Wednesday. Thing is, I'm not even done my portfolio OTL Procrastination much? Anyway, any of you guys thinking of applying to some art program?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom