• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Obsessive Scribblers~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hell, I'll need to use Flash a lot this semester. Advice please <3

For digital drawing... I tend to use a 5 px round brush for outlining, because I like thick black outlines for some reason.
Coloring usually entails a 13 px brush, and shading is varying sizes of the Burn/Dodge tools. But that all depends on what I'm doing, too.

...As in college?
I haven't considered going into any actual art schools... I'm probably not going to be able to afford anything besides the university center at the local junior college anyway. :c

Finally, critique time. *rubs hands* Ice, I adore your lineart :'D It's so clean and the lines are weighted and everything and aaa. Okay. Anyway, her right upper arm seems too long - it's longer than her right forearm, and her left upper arm. And her right hand is smaller than her left, which is pretty obvious, but I thought I'd point that out anyway. Also, see her left hand/arm, where it goes into the sleeve? I do believe you've left out a line or two, so it makes it look like her arms are rather pudgy and fill her entire sleeve. And... well, I'm not expert on human anatomy, but that's just about all I can see that is wrong. Your anatomy is quite good, really, and so is your shading.
Ahh, thanks, that was helpful ^^
I hadn't noticed some of those flaws and they probably would have continued to go unnoticed had they not been pointed out; thanks~

As for news on my end... well, this is pretty old, but I got an interview to get into this art program at my school :D The interview's on Wednesday. Thing is, I'm not even done my portfolio OTL Procrastination much? Anyway, any of you guys thinking of applying to some art program?
Assuming it's similar to how my College was, I wouldn't stress yourself out about completing a whole portfolio. Mine was fairly small (and exponetially crap, looking back), and yet they were still pretty impressed with it and I got on the course easily.
I know how the anxiety feels, trust me, but just be yourself and present what you have to offer. There's no doubt that you'll be accepted =3

No problem~ Feel free to give me a poke next time you want critique.

And the thing is, the portfolio has to have at least 10 pieces in it, and I'm only done... 8? 9? On top of that, I need to draw a self-portrait, and those things are the epitome of torture. OTL Thanks for the encouragement, though. Everyone's said I'll definitely get in, what with half the class dropping out/getting kicked out, but I'm still nervous as hell. *shaves several centimetres off her fingernails*

Edit: Buh so did not see Zora's thing. Not really college, just a specialized program in high school. I'm thinking of going into an art university, but yeah expenses. D:

Last edited:
Uhh lesse. I use a 2-3 px non-antialiased brush (cause the actual brush with anti-alias looks kinda weird to me hurr) depending on the size of the picture and stuff, on Paint.NET. Quiet I am out of monies D: Coloring is usually a 6px brush and whatnot ans shading is usually non-existant argh x.x I'm more of a traditional artist these days I guess.

Crit time yes crit time o: Uhh since Blazhy covered a lot, nearly everything, I'll just go with one nitpick; if possible you'd want to make hair flow with running and stuff. It looks a bit stiff right now. otherwise holy crap what an improvement! :D I've been looking through your gallery so.

I haven't been here in forever!

I haven't really had much inspiration for drawing lately, but here's the two most recent pictures I've done-
A sketch reference for my Hetalia OC, Antarctica. I have no idea why I shaded only the eyes and face, but it was late and I probably wasn't thinking straight XD
England and America in their Revolutionary War outfits, an art trade with a friend. This picture's a bit older, so the clothing folds aren't very good and the anatomy's a bit weird.

Ill join in on the discussion too XD Usually for lineart, I use a 2-3px brush. I hate linearting so I usually rush through it, which is most likely a bad thing. When I colour, I put the flat colours down first on individual layers (one layer for the hair, one layer of the skin, etc) using many different sized brushes, depending on where I'm colouring. I shade by setting the brush settings to "multiply" and put the opacity on 30%, then I just keep layering the same colour until I get the amount of shades I want. I rarely do any highlights, but if I do I do the same as how I shade, except I change the brush settings to "screen".

oh god I turn my back for a second and all of this appears. Well anyway, I usually use a 6 px. brush when doing digital art, but I haven't been doing much digiart recently... at least, not it that sense. Most of my artwork nowadays is done on Flipnote Studio, which I'm obsessed with. But It's a lot of fun and quite easy once you get used to it.

*unleashes courage*
G'day people. ;W; I could perhapsy join in too? Mayhaps possibly?
(art thread I don't need to post, since it's conveniently in my sig! Yay!)

And about my coloring...
I generally use a 3-5px size brush, and draw a sketchy lineart. Usually I have to clean it up a bit, since my UNREFINED style of drawing leaves a lot of ugly tongues in the lines. I also take care to close the outer lines so that it's easier to color.

For coloring, I generally inverse-select the outlines and flood-fill a base layer with a color (usually the color that is most prevalent in the character, like the largest piece of cloth or something.)
I then group all the other coloring-layers to the base.
Shading I do with a larger brush (it changes so much that I can't really say the size) in a purple color. Purple is the best color for shading, since it goes with almost everything, and makes the picture seem warmer, I believe... The shading layer I then set to multiply and adjust the transparency so that it looks nice.
Sometimes I go with painty shading, and then it's a darker and a little different hue of the original color (like orange into red, blue into turquoise or purple... I avoid yellow shading though, it doesn't look right when I do it)

Phew, that's a mouthful. I ran out of time to write, too, so this will do for now. ;W; Farewells.

Brushes? Has to be a pressure sensitive 2-3px for lines. For colouring I shift -CONSTANTLY-.
Although lately I seem to have been too lazy to actually colour, which is all well and good because I need work on my anatomy far more. :V Here I'll dump there here-
This is my Moogle, Sonja, from a certain RP. She's a Mog Knight, early-term pregnant, and a bit miffed at that. :V Sorry for the pen colour I got lazy to continue it plus it's kind bad anyway.
This is what happens 5 minutes after I'm informed Febuary 3rd is Moustache Day. This critter also happens to be my developing 'fursona' that FMC is helping me with.

Would appreciate having my bad anatomy ripped a new one as always~

Firstly, for those of you who do digital art, what sort of method do you use for lineart and colouring?
Circle (19) brush in Gimp, then erase bits I don't want, once again with Circle (19).

Coloring is an adventure with layer masks, layer modes, gradients, and fiddling with 5% opacity brushes with Incremental on.

Hey guys, guess what?

Group pic, and also a collab with Crazy Linoone. It's a WIP at the moment, but I'll get round to finishing it tomorrow and if not Thursday (because I have a trip to the Tate and I'll take it with me to do there).

Damnit you guys are heavy I'm not built for flying passengers >o<

on a similar note i need to draw you guys. ffs self stop sucking.

:0 I love what I'm seeing so far! Can't wait to see it finished~ I especially love Dwagie's expression. >:3 haha

On another note, I'm making a new banner for myself, but I can't think of a background idea for it. Any suggestions?

kai i am sorry but i have to steal your colring skills because they are great.

@blazhy-aru: o: holy. Maybe the inside of a cave or for originality points, the inside of a straw hut (I'm getting shaman vibes from it; probably the beads.)

also i haven't forgotten the seperate id thing at all; just midterms and freaking out over report card grades (okay since they're supposed to be in tommorow it has not ended yet) got in the way. I have drawn something involing kai and blazhy though; scanning soon.

Blazhy: I think that the banner looks fine the way it is. I don't know if it needs a background or not.

Typh: Thanks. Why not show that picture to the rest of the OSers?

Hey look, I finally got the group!pic scanned.
OS__On_an_Average_Day_by_Kai_Lucifer.jpg

Oh my gosh, that is absolutely AMAZING. You are a legend. :DDDDD

*sets as desktop background*

(and my previous desktop was of Amber Benson. That's how good you are)

Danni, you have no idea how warm that made me feel. X|3

So I'm running this contest on Flipnote Hatena, for pokemon drawing processes. It's going well so far, with about 30 entries at the moment and perhaps a few more before the deadline. What do you all think of drawing process animations? I really like them (though i create them all the time, it's about the only thing I can do with flipnotes, eheh) because the artist shows you how they draw and it's a great way to learn new techniques.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom