• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Referee Headquarters

Sorry, Astral; looks as though you're out of luck.

Of note to everyone who tried the advanced-level mock: as of the fourth generation, sandstorm raises the special defense of rock-type pokémon while it is in play. As I am still ambivalent about this change and recognize that a lot of people probably aren't familiar with it (although it is specified in the Attack Guide description), I didn't go after anyone for it. However, as we use the game mechanics for all the other weather conditions, this is one you might want to make yourself familiar with for future reference.

Dragon

Your battle description is fine; no real problems there. However, I'm not sure why you had Onix chill on the last action instead of protect; the orders were pretty clearly to protect if Draco got an attack off. I'm guessing it's because you thought that Draco would need to wait and see whether an attack got through, after which point putting up a protect would be useless, but because he would have had to be ready after his commands, and because protect is one of the fastest attacks to use in the game, he should have been able to block the swift without much trouble.

Damage and energy is fine, except for Draco's energy... it seems as though he's used a bit too much. Jumping would take hardly energy at all, and swift is only around four percent or so for a dratini. It's no more than two or three percent higher than I would expect, though, so it's no big deal.

Overall, a pretty good mock. The protect thing is really the only significant problem I have with it. Approved

Jack_the_PumpkinKing

Weren't you a referee before? If so, you don't need to try out again, but...

Your battle description's just fine; the only thing that weirded me out a bit was Draco's jump over the earthquake. That attack is usually reffed as being an actual earthquake, where the ground shakes considerably for a few seconds, in which case a jump couldn't do more than let the pokémon miss out on the first little bit of the attack. If you're going to make it a single shockwave that radiates out from the user, then the jump would be fine, of course, but I can see people complaining on the grounds that that wasn't how they would expect the attack to work.

So far as weather conditions go, I ref them as lasting nine actions, yes. Anywhere from nine up to fifteen or eighteen is the range I would consider reasonable, but most people do nine. Additionally, "healing and chills restricted to 5/Pokemon" generally means that a pokémon gets five of each, or at least, that's what I would mean if I wrote it. I'm afraid I can't answer the arena question, though--I didn't come up with that arena. It was probably opaltiger, and since he is (or at least was) a big Star Wars fan, I wouldn't be surprised if it was inspired by the ship you pointed out. You'd honestly have to ask him, though.

No problems in terms of damage and energy. Great job. Approved

Eon Spirit

For the most part, your battle description's content is pretty good. Saying that Forest "avoided (an attack) with agility" is a bit of a cop-out, though--it's basically just restating the scyther's command. You also have some general polish problems--missing or incorrect words, punctuation problems, and some difficulty staying in a consistent tense. A bit more proofreading might help you clean it up somewhat.

Generally, attract starts off at 50% chance of attack failure, rather than 75%. I'm a little curious what "mildly" attracted is in this case--50% chance of failure, or less?

Energy and damage looks fine. Ryuuzard used quite a bit of energy; flamethrower is a powerful attack, but for a charizard it wouldn't cost a punishing amount of energy. Attract and dragon dance are both only moderately draining attacks; I think you're around four percent over what I would have expected to see for the attacks he performed. Unfortunately, because Forest used so few attacks, and there was no damage dealt, I don't really have much to compare this value to.

This reffing is about on the same level as your last one... I'm afraid that, without more of an idea of how you're doing on energy and damage, I don't really feel comfortable approving you, as that was the main issue last time. Not Approved

Last edited:
I'd like to apply for a novice-level mock...

Originally Posted by Music Dragon
1 vs. 1
Single Battle
DQ Time: 4 days
Damage Cap: None
Banned Moves: One-hit KO moves, recovery moves, Selfdestruct, Explosion, Destiny Bond and Perish Song. Only three chills per player.

Arena: "Nondescript At Best"
The battle takes place on top of a grass-covered hill, surrounded by an empty void where miniature sheep can be seen floating around here and there. It is impossible to fall off the hill; there seems to be some sort of gravitational pull that prevents this. There are no special effects on moves and types whatsoever.

MD
Gengar
Goost, (M)
H - 73
E - 89
Chills - 0
Status - Toppled over, onto a sheep.
Haze~Shadow Punch~Psychic

Cyniquil201
Vulpix
Slee, (F)
H - 95
E - 84
Chills - 0
Status - Staring at everything and uncomfortable.
Confuse Ray~Faint Attack~Dig (But don't attack)
Taunted (One more action)
Tormented (Three more actions)

The Shadow Pokemon stumbled back up from hitting the sheep, and let the gravitational pull of the hill slowly pull him to solid land. He then opened his huge, always-daunting mouth, and let a gentle fog pour out of it, encasing the landscape in a gentle mist. He then laughed and let it ring across the hill.

The Vulpix felt a slight chill as the haze touched it, however, it took no notice. The anger emanating from its body was unmistakable. The trainers orders reached it ears, and, try as it might, it could not focus enough to create the illusion to confound its foe. (Not that it would really know where to project the illusion, the fog cloud was so thick.)

The Gengar stood, focused on currenting it's ghostly power in its fist, and was not surprised when he saw his stubby fist glowing in purplish energy. When he stopped, his fist acted on it own accord, pulling the body across the fog and homing in on it's target. He felt a suddenly felt his hand strike true, right into it's target.

"Vuuiiii!" screamed the fox.

The Vulpix disappeared into the fog. The Gengar tried to go after it for a while, then gave up, panting heavily. Almost instantly, he felt a searing pain on the back of it's head and it fell down. In front of it stood the fox Pokemon.

"Pix," it snarled.

The Gengar began to grin again, wider than before. The Vulpix was obviously anxious, and for a good reason. A purple aura began to surround it, and it flailed legs as it began to raise into the air.

It screamed as it was struck into the ground four times in quick succession. The Gengar laughed, and stopped it's attack. He could feel the fatigue beginning to creep into his limbs. That had taken a lot out of him.

As soon as it was given back control of it's body, the fox began dig itself furiously into the earth. Nothing stopped it, not dirt, rocks, or anything else that one would imagine hindering it. When it got to a deep point that seemed ideal, it stopped undermining the ground, covered in dirt and rubble.

The Gengar slowly walked over to the hole. It looked down into it, silently praying to Arceus that he didn't need to go down.

MD
Gengar
Goost,
M
H - 83
E - 78
Chills - 0
Status - Feeling a bit tired, but ready to fight harder if need be.

Cyndaquil201
Vulpix
Slee,
(F)
H - 78
E - 80
Chills - 0
Status - Preparing for its next attack.

Notes
*Cyndaquil201 attacks first next turn
*Mist is in effect for two more turns
*Slee is no longer Tormented
*Slee is no longer Taunted
-----------------------------
...?

And for the record, I like ASB much more here then in Serebii. It's much more fun here.

Last edited:
I'm afraid I don't have time to do mock grading at the moment, but hopefully it should only be a couple more days before I do.

Paychecks

Kratos Aurion: 1 = $12
Li'l Dwagie: 1 = $3
Negrek: 1 2 = $20

Your battle description is okay in terms of content, but you have issues of grammar and style. Although you get it right sometimes, for example, you mix up its and it's (the former is the possessive of "it," whereas the latter is a contraction of "it is"). You switch betweeen referring to pokémon with neutral pronouns and with gendered ones, and you have plain weird constructions like "currenting its ghostly power in its fist" and generaly typos. I was also a bit confused by the description of faint attack; if I didn't know what the attack was supposed to be before reading the round, I wouldn't have known what had been used.

Obviously something's wrong with Goost's health--he shouldn't have gained any points there. Slee's health is fine, but her energy is really not--for a faint attack and a half a dig attack, she should definitely be using more than 4% energy; two to three more points would make more sense. I'd say that Goost should have used a little more energy, too, but no more than a couple of points.

This is decent for a first try, but it needs a little more work. Tighten up the energy calculations and the battle description a bit, and you should be fine. Not Approved

And for the record, I like ASB much more here then in Serebii. It's much more fun here.
Glad you like it.

I'd would like to *ahem* re-apply for a novice level ref~~

Originally Posted by Music Dragon
1 vs. 1
Single Battle
DQ Time: 4 days
Damage Cap: None
Banned Moves: One-hit KO moves, recovery moves, Selfdestruct, Explosion, Destiny Bond and Perish Song. Only three chills per player.

Arena: "Nondescript At Best"
The battle takes place on top of a grass-covered hill, surrounded by an empty void where miniature sheep can be seen floating around here and there. It is impossible to fall off the hill; there seems to be some sort of gravitational pull that prevents this. There are no special effects on moves and types whatsoever.

MD
Gengar
Goost, (M)
H-83
E-78
Chills: [o][o][o]
Haze~Shadow Punch~Psychic

Cyndaquil201
Vulpix
Slee, (F)
H-95
E-84
Confuse Ray~Faint Attack~Dig (But don't attack)
Taunted (One more action)
Tormented (One more turn)

The Shadow Pokemon recovered from hitting the tiny sheep, then smoothly let the odd gravitational pull of the hill pull him back to land.

He opened his large, ever-daunting mouth, and he let the self-generated fog creep across the landscape.

The Vulpix felt a slight chill when the haze hit her. She heard her trainers commands. A confuse ray, huh? When she tried to focus, the Gengar's face appeared in her mind. That annoying little git! She gave up on focusing on the confuse ray, not that she would no where to project the illusion anyways, not in this fog.

The Gengar heard it's trainers next orders and grinned at their cleverness. He raised his hand and let his own ghostly powers create an aura around his fist. His eyes glowed red as his clenched hand took control of his body momentarily, and he ran across the hill until his fist clobbered the Vulpix.

The fox Pokemon snarled. For a moment, neither Pokemon did more than stare at each other. Then the Vulpix began to glow a bit with pure dark energy, then she disappeared into nothingness.

The Gengar looked around frantically. Where was she?

He then received a sucker punch to the pack of the head, and then fell down. When he looked around again, there was the fox.

"Pix," she snarled.

The ghost type grinned even wider as he reached out with his mind. When he came across the being of Vulpix, instead of grabbing her and hitting her into the ground as was protocol, he reached inside her brain.

This is when Vulpix seemed to notice something was wrong. She began to dig, dig into the ground where she would be safe.

The Gengar had found the place in her brain where it should trigger the most pain. He prodded it, which caused:

"Vuuuuuiiiiiii" the fox pokemon screamed, no longer digging into the ground, instead laying down on her back, obviously in anguish.

The Shadow Pokemon, if possible, smiled even wider than before. He prodded her brain again.

The fox began to scream, but then stifled herself. She focused, then covered her head in dark energy, ejecting the ghost. She resumed the digging.

The Gengar was a bit weary from his mental assault. He was happy with himself. He did well.

The Vulpix stopped undermining the ghost when she thought she had reached a suitable place. She was covered in dirt and soil, feeling a bit disgusting. She found it a bit humorous, however, how the gravitational pull was edging her upwards rather than downwards.

The bipedal ghost walked over to the side of the hole, praying to Arceus that he didn't have to go down.

MD
Gengar
Goost, (M)
H-73
E-69

Cyndaquil201
Vulpix
Slee, (F)
H-78
E-75
Status: Underneath Gengar, dirty and playing with the new physics.
---------------
So, whad'ya think? I worked on the things that you noted; I don't know what I was thinking last time.

Kudos~~

You can't, sorry. You can only do a particular mock once.

Edit: The new novice mock has now been put up, though.

Last edited:
Apllying for a novice level mock...

AGAIN!

3v3
One out at a time
DQ Time: One week
Damage Cap: 50%
Banned Moves: OHKO's
Terrain:
A lovely green field on a nice sunny day. Birds are singing delightfully and a gentle breeze is blowing. Everything is beautiful... so let's wreck it with a battle!

Dark Nido
Abra
Uri, (M)
Health: 60%
Energy: 29%
Rain Dance ~ Dynamic Punch ~ Teleport

Arcanine
Trapinch
Pinchaa, (M)
Health: 100%
Energy:100%
double team ~ focus energy ~ crunch

In a flash of white light, the Tranpinch took form, and immediately began to run about. The Abra watched, scratching the back of it's head.

When it heard its trainers commands, the Ant Pit Pokemon stopped in it's tracks, only to run even faster, at top speed even.. The Abra still only watched.

The Psi Pokemon thought the Trapinch was just showing off, but he was wrong. The oversized ant was going so fast that it caused four illusionary copies copies of itself follow it and copy its every move.

The Abra smiled. He knew the perfect way to get around this while still remaining strategic.

He got up (using a bit of psychic powers to do so, incidentally) and began to dance. Well, it wasn't just any dance, it was an ancient dance that caused some mystical feeling in the air.

The Abra sat back down. He looked up and saw the Rain Dance was preformed correctly: already a small sprinkle had began, and foreshadowing thunder could be heard in the distance.

The Trapinch grimaced. He knew what was coming, and thought that he better be prepared for it.

He concentrated all his natural Earth power onto the primitive, fighting part of his mind. He grinned, as did his five copies. This would be easy.

Now that the rain was strengthening, the Abra could easily see through the large ant's ruse. The water fell through the clones, which had already began to fade.

He lazily got back up, and pulled his arm back. He fist began to glow a blinding white, then he walked forward, as his fist began to grow brighter. The Trapinch saw the Psi Pokemon just in time, however, and he skittered forward and the Abra missed entirely. His fit began to fade.

Wow, was that tiring. At least the rain was strengthening.

The ant turned around, angry at the would-be sucker punch. He opened his jaws, and let them pulse with dark energy. He rushed forward to attack.

His jaws clamped down on nothingness.

The Abra had used its psychic powers to force his mass into subatomic bits. He whirled through the air until he knew he was on the other side of the Trapinch. Then he put all of particles together to form cells, and all of those cells together formed the Abra flawlessly.

He was now on the other side of the Tranpinch, awaiting his trainer's next commands.

Dark Nido
Abra
Uri, (M)
Energy: 15%

Arcanine
Trapinch
Pinchaa, (M)
Health: 99%
Energy:87%
Status: Not understanding what just happened, while at the same time wishing the rain would stop.

Notes:
-Dark Nido attacks first next turn.
-1% of damage was taken off of Trapinch's health due to the rain.
-----------------
Wow. Dynamic Punch was very energy consuming.

Last edited:
I'm poor, so I'll apply for the novice level mock.

3v3
One out at a time
DQ Time: One week
Damage Cap: 50%
Banned Moves: OHKO's
Terrain:
A lovely green field on a nice sunny day. Birds are singing delightfully and a gentle breeze is blowing. Everything is beautiful... so let's wreck it with a battle!

Pre-Round Situation
Trainer: Dark Nido
Abra, "Uri", Male
Energy: 29%
Commands: Rain Dance ~ Dynamic Punch ~ Teleport

Trainer: Arcanine
Trapinch, "Pinchaa", Male
Health: 100%
Energy:100%
Commands: Double Team ~ Focus Energy ~ Crunch

The Round Description
Arcanine's pokéball rolls out onto the field and Trapinch takes form, jumping up and down excitedly as it looks over at Abra. The Psi Pokémon is slumped over, watching his new opponent warily.

The trainers issue their commands and the round begins. Uri slowly raises his head and opens his eyes as he raises his arms, fingers stretching out. He slowly begins to chant in an arcane language, unfamiliar to all those around him. As he does, dark ominous clouds curl up across the sky. The sun is covered up by a black cloud and the field goes dark. As the abra chants, he starts to jump up and down in a strange, ancient dance. Rain starts to fall, first in sparse sprinkles of drops, then as Uri focuses on conjuring it, in a full downpour.

Trapinch begins his own attack. He jumps forward and then stops as a few drops of rain hit him. He looks at Abra, annoyed by the rain. This wasn't like his desert home. Then, focusing once more on the battle, he began to run rapidly like he had never run before. As he did, he focused his energy and conjured identical images of himself, glimmering as rain drops hit them. He produced three of these illusions and then stopped, so that Uri could not tell which of the four trapinch before him was Pinchaa.

Abra lowered his arms and sat back down thoughtfully as the rain fell. The rain jostled him a bit but was also slightly calming against his battered body. He stared intently at his opponent, though he did not yet know which one of the four pokémon his opponent actually was. As he watched Pinchaa, the Trapinch closed his eyes and immobilized his body. As the rain fell over his body, small tendrils of energy shot up through him. Abra stood up quickly, realizing the solution. It was subtle, but the rain indicated which trapinch was real. He bounded forward. As he charged, he pulled back his left arm and balled his fingers into a fist. The fist began to glow bright white. He was only a half second from Trapinch now.

As he swung forward, Pinchaa opened his eyes and realized his plight. He started scurrying backward but Abra had a tremendous speed advantage if he was motivated properly. The attack struck the Ant Pit Pokémon on its large, ovular head and knocked him down into the ground. His smaller lower body shot up as the weight shifted to his head. Pinchaa emitted a low moan. Then, Pinchaa slowly rose his head and stumbled around, his mind uncertain of the blurry figure in front of him and of his situation. He shook his head and then focused again on the battle, leaping forward with his large jaws open.

As he attacked, Abra reacted and vanished. Trapinch fell to the ground, once again dazed. Abra's trainer smiled with satisfaction as his pokémon reappeared behind Pinchaa, smiling before sinking back down into the ground, sitting thoughtfully. His eyes were closed and his arms resting against his crossed legs as the rain fell all around him.

Post-round Situation
Trainer: Dark Nido
Abra, "Uri", Male
Energy: 12%
Commands: Rain Dance ~ Dynamic Punch ~ Teleport

Trainer: Arcanine
Trapinch, "Pinchaa", Male
Health: 91%
Energy: 88%
Commands: Double Team ~ Focus Energy ~ Crunch

Ref Notes
  • Abra's use of Rain Dance cost 6% instead of 5% energy because the weather was sunny. Thus the action was that more difficult (as opposed to if it had been overcast or partially cloudy).
  • Trapinch only created 3 illusions because of its low speed.
  • The reason Abra connected with Focus Punch is that Abra has base speed of 90 while Trapinch has base speed of 10... The difference is very noticeable.
  • Trapinch's attacks are two critical domains higher because of Focus Energy.

Next round order: Nido attacks, Arcanine attacks, I ref.

Last edited:
'S there a time limit on picking up your paycheck, do we have to cash it in in three days, like allowance, or..?

You can pick up a paycheck anytime between when it is issued and when the next one comes out. If you're away, you can grab any that went up during your absence when you come back.

Scyther

Battle description is all right in terms of content, but you're still having some problems with polish and mechanics. It's versus its, for example, continues to be an issue. You also keep using "began" when you should have "begun" instead.

Pinchaa really shouldn't have created five clones; trapinch are among the slowest pokémon out there, and five-six clones is what you'd get off a pokémon with average speed. What happened to Pinchaa's crit domain boost? Typically, rain doesn't damage a pokémon weak to water.

Health and energy is for the most part okay, but

Again, this reffing is really just borderline. It isn't really bad on any count, but nor does it recommend itself in any particular area. There were a few "game logic" problems here, what with the double team and the rain and such; these are really the most bothersome. Other than that, it's really just your description that continues to be a bit of a sticking point. Not Approved

Empoleon

No problem with the description. It might be useful to put Pinchaa's enhanced crit ratio in his ending statistics rather than the final notes section, just so that it remains visible in later rounds--since the boost lasts a while. Damage and energy looks fine, too. Really no problems with this reffing; good work. Approved

Paychecks

Dragon: 1 2 3 4 5 6 = $36
Jack_the_PumpkinKing: 1 = $6
Kindling Queen: 1 = $3
Kratos Aurion: 1 = $10
moon-panther: 1 = $5
Negrek: 1 2 3 = $30

Back
Top Bottom