• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Villainous Team Choice Pokémafia - Game Thread

Re: Villainous Team Choice Pokémafia - Game Thread

Okay I have some more time now, may as well spill.

I'm a doctor - the POWER OF MUSIC is substantial enough to prevent people from getting nightkilled. But because I'm all four Go-Rock Quads, this works a little differently. Basically, when I first use my power, I can choose 4 players. These 4 are then protected from any kill that can be made in the night - at the cost of one of the Go-Rock Quads' lives. Then, because I've lost one of them, I can only pick 3 players the following time I use my action, etc, etc.

This might seem a bit broken, and yeah it kind of is, but I guess it's balanced by powers like VM's (even if it never got used - mine is probably a voting/killing action in the game's eyes based on what he said) and the presence of a vigilante killer? /shrug

Anyway, I've got 1 Quad left (it's Clyde). I refrained from using my power n0, then used it the past 3 nights, so if I use it again I'm done. Which... considering the whole diminishing returns thing, I don't really want to do to keep myself alive? But, uh, maybe if I REALLY see a need to, I will. But the fact that I only have 1 left is why I'm okay with coming clean now... earlier I probably would have put a target on my back, but now since I only have 1 Quad, I don't imagine the Mafia are going to think it so important to pick me off? But I could be wrong. :/

I should also point out that I'm not notified if any of my heals were successful. So while it'd be tempting to say "oh yeah this is what prevented the deaths N1 and last night", and that's definitely very likely, we don't know for sure. There could well be a roleblocker somewhere (either one of the non-claimants or someone else lying about their role), or just an inactive mafia. Or something else going on we don't know about. Idk.

Altissimo, who did you target on previous nights?

N0 I didn't target anyone, like I said.
N1 was ILS and Kratos (because I'd just been pulled into the chat, we were planning to add Kratos as well, and I wanted to keep that going), then Zapi and VM - random choices. I wouldn't have the slightest clue which one of these the Mafia did decide to target that resulted in the no-kill.
N2 was Nira, ILS again (same reason), and Flora.
N3 was Butterfree (because I was worried that the Mafia might well try to kill Butterfree in order to frame me, considering Butterfree was suspicious of me) and Flora again bc vig (which would explain the extra action on Jack after the switch). If Flora had been targeted, then the actions on Jack would have numbered 3 (my heal, Mafia kill, and Jack's switching) so it looks like Flora wasn't the target. Either it was Butterfree or something else happened.

Everyone is roleclaiming, so i think the chances of me getting ousted as a result of explaining my role at this point are negligible. I'll go ahead.

My role is mundane compared to the rest of yours, actually. I have two powers: the first allows me to glean the details of someone's role, although their alignment remains undisclosed; and the second is a roleblock. I can't use both in the same night. I forgot to act on night zero (surprise surprise), but on night one, i inspected JackPK, and was returned with results regarding myself. I'll divulge more as it becomes necessary— i hope that's understandable. I'd like to stay alive, after all.

After a claim like that, I'm not sure what advantage you'd get out of not saying who you'd targeted/what role results you got.

Hm... lots of discussion today... lots to analyze... or at least speculate about... ♪

A lot of interesting things have been said, although I dunno that I see much I need to respond to directly. If there is something specific you'd like me (or anyone else, let's get them quiet people a-talkin') to address, lemme know.

The few things that stand out to me are:

-Zero Moment's power. It is definitely one potential explanation for a no-kill night (unless it happened on the first night and the kill bounced to Superbird), although the flavor detail about him having gone peacefully is still gnawing at me a little. If he went peacefully, that means that he might not have been killed by an aggressive or scum-aligned power. Furthermore, if he was targeted by something scummy, why didn't he share his results when he had the chance? I guess it's possible he thought it was worth holding on to for later, although atm I can't think of why you'd do that. But it could also be that, since he has to have been hit by the same action twice, the action that killed him didn't smack of mafia when MF PM'd him about it, and he didn't want to out a useful town-sounding role right away. So then what might that role have been, and where did the mafia kill actually go that night? Was it actually directed at one of Altissimo's targets, who was protected?

It's also possible that the action was a "vanilla mafia kill" with no additional frills or powers, in which case I guess there is an argument for not bothering to post about it—the mafia can kill, the sky is blue, water is wet, what else is new—but then the action would probably have been more violent, which doesn't fit the death flavor. I know it's risky to read too much into flavor, but I don't really know what else to do with that information, so...

-The possibility of inactive mafia. I don't know that this is terribly likely, since in this day and age I'm pretty sure it's rare(?) to see a mafia with only one killing role—the norm is to let anyone in the group submit the kill, yes? Largely to guard against inactive mafia, in fact. Given that there are probably 3–4 mafiosi and not that many stubbornly silent people, surely someone in that faction is paying attention and could be sending in kills. It's not impossible that they're all forgetting/inactive, or that there really is only one active killing role at a time, but my money is on Alti or someone else being extremely lucky.

I also don't understand why Nira doesn't want to give up the rest of their results. If the results sound scummy, there's no reason not to share, because we do need to lynch a mafioso soon; if they sound innocent, there's no reason not to clear people's names and try to find the mafia by process of elimination. Now, given that they don't receive alignment along with the role details, it could also be that it's very hard to tell... but then why not put at least the roles, if not also the attached usernames, out there so we can discuss them and suss it out together? Are you at least able to confirm anyone else's claim about their power?

Like, when I suggested that people use discretion when revealing the results from the death rolecop, that was because it would be bad to reveal that we were down any doctors or anything else that might tell the mafia they could attack indiscriminately. But now that lots of people have claimed, including a doctor, I don't really see the point in hiding it anymore? If there is something like an additional doctor out there, couldn't you at least say that much without outing the actual player? What could possibly be left that's worth hiding?

And why would not revealing them keep you alive? You've already claimed what appears to be a very powerful role (rolecop + roleblocker) with no apparent restrictions. That in and of itself makes you a juicy mafia target if you're telling the truth. The only thing I can think of there is that your role has a restriction wherein sharing information about X nights will kill you... but surely you could just admit to that restriction if that were the case? There's no reason to be vague about something like that, and understanding any limitations we have to work with can help us use one another's powers more effectively.

On a similar note, if you don't have a drawback... that sounds like a potent role, as I said, and no one else seems to have a role anything like that. So far most of the claims are either non-traditional altogether, or mostly traditional with some kind of twist or drawback. Jack's bus driver role (assuming we know the whole truth about it) is the most vanilla thing we've seen so far and has no restrictions, but it's also just a bus driver, not what's essentially two separate roles. I'm not sure I buy that combination as actually existing in this game, at least not without further explanation.

...At any rate... need to lynch today... haha. Nira looks... interesting... perhaps... suspicious...? ♪ But maybe we should wait... for further analysis... They should... share targets... at least explain... why they can't! ♪ Lynching... inspector... would be bad... but if they can't clear this up... may have to take the risk...

...What... why are you... looking at me? I am... just Courtney... of Team Magma... that is definitely... who I am. ♪ You can tell... because I'm wearing... Courtney's clothing... as Courtney should be! ♪ Courtney is... alive and well... That "Superbird"... stole my things... I took them back... after he was... deleted! That's totally what happened, I swear... um... haha. ♪

...Who is... Wes? I don't... know any Wes. ♪ I mean, c'mon, that kid's turned into such a goody two-shoes, why would he even end up in the slammer, I should've realized after the first time I tried to— uh... hang on, dangit, lemme get it back *ahem*... I mean... if there was ever... a "Wes"... I most certainly... am not him! Even if I was... should be obvious... I am not now! I am also... not anyone else... who is not Courtney... although it would be interesting... if I were... such a flawless master of disguise! ♪

...But yes... analysis has proven... that I am definitely, undeniably, 100% Admin Courtney of Team Magma... I am her and she is me and we are all together here! ♪ So I'm the one... who sent N and the talking gengar... information. ♪ You're welcome... haha. ♪

God, this lady's weird sing-song robot voice is killing me... Why couldn't the Italian guy have bought it first? I can do a totally great Italian accent! Ah, the travails of being a master of disguise...

those ellipses are killing my eyes man

also I just want to say re: zero moment. ZM was killed the night VM claims he used his switch power to turn off roleblock-y powers? Is there a possibility it could have extended to ZM's own personal power, letting the Mafia kill him without having prior targeted him? it seems like a long shot considering that such a constantly active action doesn't seem like it'd be affected by something like that, but since VM's role (assuming he wasn't lying about it, that is) seems kind of... situational, is the only word I can really think of... as is, maybe that's another thing that his power has the ability to affect.

re: Nira: if he has a restriction, maybe he also can't tell us about the restriction, seems like a thing MF might do lol

Kratos, I take it from your flavor text that you're claiming to be the one who inherited Superbird's power. For those of us who are a little obtuse about making inferences, can you give us a direct yes/no?

re: Nira: if he has a restriction, maybe he also can't tell us about the restriction, seems like a thing MF might do lol
Yeah, a restriction against talking about a restriction sounds quite MFish.

Idk, I have a low level of suspicion about several people but not really a high enough level on anybody to feel confident picking a lynch target yet. I agree that it's probably in our best interest for Nira to speak up (assuming no restriction), but if they don't, idk, they + the broadcast + my switching + nobody else claiming all adds up to Nira telling the truth, at least about that night, so I don't even think they're too suspicious yet.

Unless Nira's telling the truth about their role yet is scum-aligned? Well, now that I think of it, their role would be a lot more useful to scum (find out who's got inspection/Doctor/etc roles) than to innocents (for whom a standard inspector would be the more intuitive role). Then again, nothing in this game is intuitive (thanks, MF), so I really don't know what to think.

Oh, you're no fun. >/ Yes, I inherited Superbird's role. I am (now) the death rolecop, or whatever you want to call it.

(Before anyone asks, no, I don't intend to investigate VM. I guess for now it's safe to assume he was telling the truth (???????), and given that my power is limited-use, I'd rather not kill myself by expending all of it/waste a use on an innocent who claimed. Probably obvious, but putting it out there just in case.)

I haven't played enough MFia to know whether that sounds typical, but I would definitely feel better asking—like I said, I can't see a valid reason not to share either the results themselves or to be clearer about the fact that there is a restriction. I guess we'll have to see what happens when Nira responds, although let it be known that (short of a better target showing up) I am willing to lynch if they don't/if they can't explain satisfactorily based on how oddly OP that role sounds for this game.

I will admit that I'm skeptical of "not allowed to give specifics during the day" as a restriction on Nira's power--the only other person who's claimed any sort of restriction on their power is Flora, who tbh is probably the other person I'm most suspicious of at the moment. Yes, his power would be quite, well, powerful without some kind of restriction, but it could as easily be a lie.

God, this lady's weird sing-song robot voice is killing me... Why couldn't the Italian guy have bought it first? I can do a totally great Italian accent! Ah, the travails of being a master of disguise...
omg keep your hands off my suave you sunglass-wearing hooligan

Also btw I think we only have 23 hours left to discuss unless we get an extension, and last day we got no extension even though discussion was still going on, so if we want to avoid a kind of last-minute-only-two-people-voting-decides-fate-of-player we should probably get going?

So I'll start off by nominating Nira, and you have a fair few hours at your disposal to discuss/propose alternatives/change my mind etc.

Yeeaah, I'm also highly suspicious of Nira. How incredibly convenient that the first two nights just happened to give them no information whatsoever! This hypothetical restriction being discussed would have to be a pretty specific one for them to be allowed to reveal that they didn't target anyone N0 and targeted JackPK N1, but not any of the actual useful information they're implying they got after that - the only way I can see it happening is if it were literally "You may only reveal information about the first two nights", and then, again, it would be incredibly convenient that those first two nights just happened to give zero verifiable information.

The only thing that's making me hesitate is the possibility of some sort of alien, because this is a great ploy to make people jump up to suspect them. But my instinct leans more towards mafia.

So much stuff's happening around here! How do you expect a guy like me to keep up?!

The dude with the sweet eyepiece - seriously, man, that thing's badass, where'd you get it? - has been acting pretty suspicious. I mean, if you ask me, his whole... thing he's got going on just screams "guilty". Just look at his outfit! Sick eyepatch aside, what the hell is he wearing? And that hairdo... But I guess I'm not really one to talk, right? Bwahaha!

Still, I don't really wanna jump on him right away... I may be a pirate, but I got some morals, y'know? I'll at least give a fella the chance to defend themself before I make 'em walk the plank. Besides, like the weird kid with a tree on his head said, maybe that guy's trying to look suspicious so we'll vote him off. But if I got no good reason not to vote for him by the end of the day... I might just change my mind, heh heh.

Hmm, the only other scamps I'm suspicious of at all are the lass with the long pigtails (honestly, what kind of useless power...) and that loud buncha punks (they seem a bit too powerful, at the start, at least, but... I think the other powers we've seen balance things out, y'know?). But I'm definitely not suspicious enough of either of 'em to suggest a vote, so I'm not gonna just yet!

Um okay. I actually revealed everything about my role (and was also privy to information that was proven to be true before it was proven to be true so i don't see why this is even an issue???) but okay. I didn't want to point any fingers at mafia because it would draw suspicion to me not only from the mafia, but also from my fellow villagers who are more liable to trust someone else. But whatever. You're all at my throat anyway for some reason so i may as well spill the beans.

Yeeaah, I'm also highly suspicious of Nira. How incredibly convenient that the first two nights just happened to give them no information whatsoever!
This is sort of unfair; i'm busy enough with school and the like, and it's not that unrealistic for me to have forgotten night zero. I did not forget night one— i happened to pick the one person in the mafia who happened to reverse my action and okay i mean really is that my fault. It's not "convenient," it just worked out that way, and i think it's sort of strange that you're so quick to jump on my case about it when it's not even more suspicious than perhaps some other people. It's only suspicious that i didn't get results one night because it's convenient for you; no one seems to really care that Alti's been inactive like the whole game but suddenly it's treachery because i don't have all the information you want immediately upon roleclaiming.

"You may only reveal information about the first two nights", and then, again, it would be incredibly convenient that those first two nights just happened to give zero verifiable information.
Okay this logic might be valid if i had actually acted night zero but, as i said, i did not, and that means that i only happened to pick the one guy that gave me useless results on the night i did inspect (nights afterwards that i haven't disclosed as of yet notwithstanding). It was one time that got me results, which is a strange coincidence, but not so strange that holy shit i must be scum.

Anyway. I don't have any qualms with posting my results at this point i guess but am i going to get modkilled if i directly copy and paste the contents of the PMs i received? I think i recall something like that happening before.

Anyway. I don't have any qualms with posting my results at this point i guess but am i going to get modkilled if i directly copy and paste the contents of the PMs i received? I think i recall something like that happening before.

According to the rules in the sign-up thread, you can quote/copypaste from role PMs, but you can't screenshot them.

Nira said:
This is sort of unfair; i'm busy enough with school and the like, and it's not that unrealistic for me to have forgotten night zero. I did not forget night one— i happened to pick the one person in the mafia who happened to reverse my action and okay i mean really is that my fault. It's not "convenient," it just worked out that way, and i think it's sort of strange that you're so quick to jump on my case about it when it's not even more suspicious than perhaps some other people. It's only suspicious that i didn't get results one night because it's convenient for you; no one seems to really care that Alti's been inactive like the whole game but suddenly it's treachery because i don't have all the information you want immediately upon roleclaiming.
Sounds like you're pointing at JackPK there? I recall you saying he bounced your action back at you, so did you inspect him again in a later night?

I don't think Altissimo's been particularly inactive? She was making a lot of kind of jokey posts early on, but she was still making a lot more than most people.

Zapi said:
Still, I don't really wanna jump on him right away... I may be a pirate, but I got some morals, y'know? I'll at least give a fella the chance to defend themself before I make 'em walk the plank. Besides, like the weird kid with a tree on his head said, maybe that guy's trying to look suspicious so we'll vote him off. But if I got no good reason not to vote for him by the end of the day... I might just change my mind, heh heh.
I just wanted to say that I really enjoy your Archie impression, A+.

Sounds like you're pointing at JackPK there? I recall you saying he bounced your action back at you, so did you inspect him again in a later night?
I didn't. I had pretty much gleaned what his action was by the end of the day anyway, so i didn't waste another night verifying what i had no reason to argue.
I don't think Altissimo's been particularly inactive? She was making a lot of kind of jokey posts early on, but she was still making a lot more than most people.
Well, i guess not; i was more making a point about her taking leave ("I won't be able to post today") and no one caring, but it apparently being a big deal that i forgot to do something once. I don't really think she's scum because she's been absent, as i've been absent too. It's more the point.

in my defense, people often just don't post but give no reason to not post, and that's why people are a bit annoyed at inactivity and things like the bastard mafia's warning-rule exist - i made a point to say that i'd be gone

besides, i was off auditioning for grad school. even the go-rock quads can improve their musical craft!!!!!

We're asking you to share any more info that you got, so you.... make a long, rambling post to defend yourself without actually giving any more info? This reeks to me of scum in over its head, unable to come up with info that won't potentially incriminate it, and therefore trying to stall giving that info.

Nira.

Nira said:
I did not forget night one— i happened to pick the one person in the mafia who happened to reverse my action
I'm honestly not sure whether you're trying to point the finger at me to take the heat off you, but whether you're scum or not I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume "the mafia" was a poorly worded way of saying "this mafia game."

People have been posting the results of my action (Superbird and Zero Moment's roles) without being modkilled, so you should be able to C/P the same/similar information from your PMs without fear of MF zapping you. And certainly you're not going to be modkilled just for listing names and paraphrasing the PM'd results...?

And "don't want to point fingers at mafia"? Uh, but that's the point???? How can we lynch them if we don't know who they are? It's one thing to hang onto that information early in the game so you have time to gather some more, but we're probably going to end up in a lynch-or-lose scenario tomorrow (and might be in one today, although I doubt that), and so many people have claimed that it seems silly to remain quiet. We need information. We need to be able to lynch. If you have useful information and don't want to risk sharing it outright, then you should at least have tried to find some other, subtler way to communicate it to us... or, hell, if you were suspicious of Jack, you could've tried to get a "random" lynch started or come up with some other reason for going after him, then come clean after you were proved right. It could be risky, sure, but ultimately it's more helpful to town than just sitting on useful info all day.

I try not to automatically jump to suspicion when people "forget" actions, because yeah! Sometimes they really do forget! Sometimes their actions really are unlucky! But all this bizarre caginess, now, this is just unnecessary. At this stage of the game, if you are town and you have information, it is in town's best interest for you to share that information. We've been firing pretty much blindly—or doing nothing at all—this whole game, and we can't afford to do that any longer.

But here, let's compromise. Lynch Nira today. If they flip innocent, and if we don't lose tonight as a result (again, doubt we will, but who knows?), JackPK can be up on the block tomorrow. I admit I've got some general low-grade suspicions about Jack anyway, but nothing I feel concrete acting on just yet. But sure, if we're wrong and Nira is innocent, then they were telling the truth about having a reason to suspect Jack, and that's all the evidence I'll need.

There's still time for my mind to be changed on this lynch—a solid reason to actually lynch Jack (or someone else) might well come up before the day ends—but I'm pretty comfy with this vote for now.

Negrek said:
omg keep your hands off my suave you sunglass-wearing hooligan

I am not wearing sunglasses, old man! Courtney doesn't wear sunglasses! What part of "master of disguise" are you not getting here?

Omega_Ruby_Alpha_Sapphire_Courtney.png

Er... I mean... see... no sunglasses... haha. ♪

Back
Top Bottom