• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Political Compass

Status
Not open for further replies.
I lol'd.

Also we're not all that young, and I hate ageism.
very few of TCoDians are out of uni, and the majority aren't even out of sixth form. that's 'young' by most standards.

I would have to see some more concrete statistics, but it seems a fairly feasible hypothesis that youth correlates with left-wing tendencies.

Yet i'm 13 and I was next closest.
sometimes I forget that you're only 13. yet you speak with the voice of a grizzled fifty-something.

very few of TCoDians are out of uni, and the majority aren't even out of sixth form. that's 'young' by most standards.

I would have to see some more concrete statistics, but it seems a fairly feasible hypothesis that youth correlates with left-wing tendencies.

I rather hate hypotheses without any semblance of evidence backing them up. It's just about the same as saying 'I think this about you just because it sounds like a nice thought to me, and I don't need to have any reason for thinking so!'. And then you can back it up with personal experience, which really is no sort of evidence at all.

The thing is, for me, saying that age relates to political or personal beliefs rather reduces your beliefs to simply your age. If you just believe in something because of your age, then you're just your age. Which is a pretty shitty thing to say. Why believe anything at all if, when you get older, you'll flip-flop into being conservative?

I just don't like saying that anyone's beliefs have anything to do with any benign part of their biology. Yes, I'm 20. I also have brown hair and brown eyes and I'm Jewish and I'm right-handed and short and a bunch of other crap. Maybe this influences by beliefs in some minor way. Most likely it doesn't. Either way, saying that my beliefs are summed down to one of these things, or multiples of these things, is a pretty shitty thing to do.

/rant

I rather hate hypotheses without any semblance of evidence backing them up. It's just about the same as saying 'I think this about you just because it sounds like a nice thought to me, and I don't need to have any reason for thinking so!'. And then you can back it up with personal experience, which really is no sort of evidence at all.

The thing is, for me, saying that age relates to political or personal beliefs rather reduces your beliefs to simply your age. If you just believe in something because of your age, then you're just your age. Which is a pretty shitty thing to say. Why believe anything at all if, when you get older, you'll flip-flop into being conservative?

I just don't like saying that anyone's beliefs have anything to do with any benign part of their biology. Yes, I'm 20. I also have brown hair and brown eyes and I'm Jewish and I'm right-handed and short and a bunch of other crap. Maybe this influences by beliefs in some minor way. Most likely it doesn't. Either way, saying that my beliefs are summed down to one of these things, or multiples of these things, is a pretty shitty thing to do.

/rant

this.
I can't even begin to describe how much crap I had to put up with from people when I was younger and even now just because "oh you're too young to understand what's really going on"

pcgraphpng.php

Changed a bit from the last time I took it I think

Dang it you know me too well.

I totally did not learn this from reading your tax returns.

On the topic of age: I'm pretty sure goldenquagsire meant age as in "this generation," because the young(er) people of right now compared to, say, their grandparents, tend to be more liberal.

On the topic of age: I'm pretty sure goldenquagsire meant age as in "this generation," because the young(er) people of right now compared to, say, their grandparents, tend to be more liberal.

That's just as stupid! I want evidence of this! The feminist movement started in the 50's, wouldn't that suggest they were somewhat liberal?

youth correlates with left-wing tendencies.

Just to clarify... you're talking about the social scale, rather than the economic, right? Not to say that young people can't have opinions on economics, but it makes more sense to me to associate youth with social liberalism, rather than economic left-wing ideology; it's just a fact that we live in a more tolerant, liberal society overall than our parents and grandparents. And unless brainwashed taught differently, we generally keep those beliefs through childhood.

For example, no white child today questions the presence of black children in his or her school; during my grandparents time this idea was socially liberal and at the least criticized heavily.

That's just as stupid! I want evidence of this! The feminist movement started in the 50's, wouldn't that suggest they were somewhat liberal?

Look up any statistics on a social issue (marriage equality is a good one) and I guarantee that younger people (say, under 30) will, on average, support the more progressive side a lot more than older people.

And yes, feminism has been around for a while, but feminists (especially in the 50s) were very much an exception. Saying "people alive in the 50s who are now quite old are liberal because there were liberal feminists around in the 50s" is clearly ridiculous. Not to mention the fact that being a feminist does not necessarily mean you are liberal on other issues.

Come on. No one is saying that you're liberal because you're young. You will presumably be just as liberal when you're 50 as you are now. What we're saying is that younger people today are generally more liberal than older people, and if you look at any statistics at all (I have a supervision in five minutes, or I'd go find some) this is plainly true. It's not that people get less liberal as they age; it's that society tends to get more liberal as time goes on, while people tend to stay the same.

Look up any statistics on a social issue (marriage equality is a good one) and I guarantee that younger people (say, under 30) will, on average, support the more progressive side a lot more than older people.

And yes, feminism has been around for a while, but feminists (especially in the 50s) were very much an exception. Saying "people alive in the 50s who are now quite old are liberal because there were liberal feminists around in the 50s" is clearly ridiculous. Not to mention the fact that being a feminist does not necessarily mean you are liberal on other issues.

Come on. No one is saying that you're liberal because you're young. You will presumably be just as liberal when you're 50 as you are now. What we're saying is that younger people today are generally more liberal than older people, and if you look at any statistics at all (I have a supervision in five minutes, or I'd go find some) this is plainly true. It's not that people get less liberal as they age; it's that society tends to get more liberal as time goes on, while people tend to stay the same.

Feminism was just an example! I didn't mean for it to be the basis of my argument. Anyhow I agree that society changes, not people. (Although I don't see how society can get more liberal than I am thereby making me seem conservative and that thought sort of scares me ; ;).

"Mothers may have careers, but their first duty is to be homemakers."
"Some people are naturally unlucky."

who is seriously going to answer 'agree' to these questions wtf.
Anyway.

Economic Left/Right: -7.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.44

Bottom left-hand corner like everyone else.

... Some people are naturally unlucky. I mean, what else would you consider getting terminal cancer, or getting raped, or being born with a genetic disease you had no control over?

... Some people are naturally unlucky. I mean, what else would you consider getting terminal cancer, or getting raped, or being born with a genetic disease you had no control over?

A series of unfortunate events? Coincidence? I doubt it has anything to do with luck. (Mainly because I don't believe in luck.)

What exactly is there to believe in? Luck is a series of unfortunate or positive events; coincidence. What is the difference?

I would put the concept of 'luck' in with 'fate', which I don't believe exists. Because... thinking that some otherworldly power is out to get you is stupid, no matter how shitty your life is.

That's not really how I... see luck. Luck is just a word that encompasses the events that happen to you, i.e. something bad happens, bad luck, something good, good luck. You don't get to horde good luck or pray for good luck and then magical things will happen. It just describes what happened to you. Because it is a word that describes things. It isn't an otherworldly power, just a word. :v

Then I think you're wrong! Oh, the joys of interpreting words.

EDIT: clarification
That's now how I see 'luck' as it's defined in that statement. It seems to be implying that people are naturally a thing which is essentially something humans made up to describe, as you said, the good and bad things that /happen/ to them. People aren't especially 'lucky' or 'unlucky' in themselves, but the things that happen to them are.

Last edited:
Oh well, that makes sense, although there are things that people are born as that are pretty unlucky. As I mentioned above, genetic diseases/disorders or predisposition to disorders, which are actually part of the person, such as schizophrenia, bipolar, MS, cerebral palsy, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom