• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Rape As Comedy--Should it be allowed?

I don't find rape jokes funny. I think I've only heard one which amused me and that was Jimmy Carr - "What's worst than biting into an apple and finding a worm? Being raped." Doesn't trivialise it really, just puts the worm in the apple business into perspective.

Hell, I've been the subject of an on-going 'joke' by a guy I knew in college. He'd say that he was going to rape me and how I'd be his favourite victim. Main reason it didn't really frighten me was that he was a twig and I could easily make him back off with a glare if I wanted to, but the more worrying thing is that some of our mutual friends thought we should have dated (He would occasionally flirt with me as well). I also knew a guy in high school who claimed to witness a rape and laughed about it, starting to go into details before he got kicked out the room.

If you check out Sickipedia you can find jokes trivialising everything you can think of. My sister introduced me to it and...yeah. There's entire sections devoted to gang rape, murder rape, paedophilia, peeping toms, rape, rape counsel... Here's the sex section with the sub sections. The jokes are offensive so only click if you're that curious. Proof you can't really stop freedom of speech...

All I can think to do is increase awareness when kids learn about sex to start with. It's not pleasant of course, but maybe it'll make the next gen realise that rape is a serious crime with real consequences.

I think that it is funny, as long as it's within good taste. There are... invisable... boundaries.

Sometimes it's ok to laugh about bad things. It doesn't make the bad things less bad, but it lightens the feelings of people. There are jokes about everything, if you are offended by someone's jokes understand that they have a different perspective, or it may be their way of dealing with things. And if it's a comedian on tv, there's this thing called a remote control, it changes the tv channel.

Though there are jokes that aren't funny, outing specific people, or mentioning it when you know that specifically someone in your "audience" will be offended by it.

There are jokes about everything, if you are offended by someone's jokes understand that they have a different perspective, or it may be their way of dealing with things.

Bullshit. It's not my fault if I'm offended by a joke. It's your fault for telling an offensive joke,

I think that it is funny, as long as it's within good taste. There are... invisable... boundaries.

And those boundaries I feel have been crossed.
Sometimes it's ok to laugh about bad things. It doesn't make the bad things less bad, but it lightens the feelings of people.
Why do you want people to care less about important issues?
There are jokes about everything, if you are offended by someone's jokes understand that they have a different perspective, or it may be their way of dealing with things.
I think finding rape justified and funny is a very sick, sick perspective.
And if it's a comedian on tv, there's this thing called a remote control, it changes the tv channel.
I can do without the condescending tone, thank you very much.

Though there are jokes that aren't funny, outing specific people, or mentioning it when you know that specifically someone in your "audience" will be offended by it.

Yes, and...?

People have always laughed through hard times, I was simply saying that.

Note I am not advocating it, I think that, yes, the boundary has been crossed. But people do have the right to free speech. (here anyway) I don't think it's a matter that it shouldn't be allowed, maybe not televised.

I was not being condescending. In fact what I said wasn't aimed at you at all was it? I never mentioned your name or quoted anything you said. So push off please.

I was simply saying if you don't want to hear it, then walk away.. or whatever means you have to avoid it.

Rape is a touchy subject to begin with. I seriously think it's what is said, not just the subject.

You say you got raped in a video game, it means you lost. People within the gaming world know the term, but does anyone fight that?

I simply am answering what the question in the thread title asks. Which is, should it be allowed? I am saying yes.

It doesn't matter how wrong the topic is, they have a right to speech. In the terms of a televised comedian I think the worst they could do would be to censor the word out every time it is spoken. There are a lot of controversial comedians, and a lot of controversial topics. I. E. Lenny Bruce, Chris Morris.

The question stated is not for the morality of rape - honestly who's going to come on here and say "Yay rape"? - it's for whether it's proper or "should be allowed" in comedy.

Phantom said:
I simply am answering what the question in the thread title asks. Which is, should it be allowed? I am saying yes.

... uh, yeah? and people are disagreeing with you? I'm not sure what it is you're trying to say here.

Note I am not advocating it, I think that, yes, the boundary has been crossed. But people do have the right to free speech. (here anyway) I don't think it's a matter that it shouldn't be allowed, maybe not televised.
This is what the thread is about, whether this type of comedy should be televised.

It doesn't matter how wrong the topic is, they have a right to speech. In the terms of a televised comedian I think the worst they could do would be to censor the word out every time it is spoken. There are a lot of controversial comedians, and a lot of controversial topics. I. E. Lenny Bruce, Chris Morris.

The question stated is not for the morality of rape - honestly who's going to come on here and say "Yay rape"? - it's for whether it's proper or "should be allowed" in comedy.

If I am specifically talking to you about a specific thing, you cannot dodge the question by getting into a semantics debate about the thread title. I am sorry, but debates are not conducted that way.

I was not being condescending. In fact what I said wasn't aimed at you at all was it? I never mentioned your name or quoted anything you said. So push off please.
I said I saw a comedian on a television and you coincidentally mention to change the channel in a condescending manner? I see a correlation there.

You say you got raped in a video game, it means you lost. People within the gaming world know the term, but does anyone fight that?
Never heard that term, and I will be commenting negatively everytime I read it somewhere.

... uh, yeah? and people are disagreeing with you? I'm not sure what it is you're trying to say here.

lol, I think we both missed something. Could you clarify a bit uv? No one has "disagreed" with me at all really. Except Eloi's attempts.

... Sigh, in truth, I never read the first post. Should have, but didn't have time. Apologies.

Still that is not condescending. I am not pulling up a dictionary it is foolish to fight over words' meanings.

Then what were you asking Eloi?

Your original question:

Do you think I'm overreacting, or should rape be off-limits in the realm of comedy?

I answered that.

Why do you want people to care less about important issues?

Never said I wanted that. Your question is pointless.

Yes, and...?

What? That's not a question.

So in response your comment

If I am specifically talking to you about a specific thing, you cannot dodge the question by getting into a semantics debate about the thread title. I am sorry, but debates are not conducted that way.

You asked one true question of me, well one was for everyone, but roll with me on that, which I answered. Robocop is riding a unicorn your statement is invalid. lol

EDIT: imo If controversial subjects were "banned" from comedy, most likely we'd all still be watching children's shows.

Last edited:
Uh, that's a little on the harsh side there.

Ok, I sent you that because in another thread you said you gave up on debate because you were "getting ripped to shreads" and I thought that might help you... as I named the message. It has nothing to do with this thread whatsoever.

Yes I generalized it, and I said it was my opinion.

Uh, that's a little on the harsh side there.
Was not my intent.

Ok, I sent you that because in another thread you said you gave up on debate because you were "getting ripped to shreads" and I thought that might help you... as I named the message. It has nothing to do with this thread whatsoever.

I thought it was in a sarcastic manner, I am sorry for misinterpreting you.

I can see some comedians using it to poke fun at a serious subject (serious being politics, major disasters). But rape's on a different level, it's serious, but it's also traumatic. It's like cracking jokes about a miscarriage or a death, even racist jokes. They're not funny and can be insulting.

Rape jokes... I think they could be allowed on a certain level, but not on nearly as mainstream a level as it is. Rape is a crime that often goes underreported, overlooked, and under-reacted to. Rape jokes polluting the mainstream just add to an atmosphere that makes that okay.

Back
Top Bottom