• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Rape As Comedy--Should it be allowed?

I know this is going to get on someone's nerves, but I want to say it.

As soon as you say"X isn't funny and can't be used" Everyone is going to try to get stuff they don't like banned or illegalised. I know this sems like a bad analogy, but The light switch is on or off, Everything is okay to joke about, or nothing is, because after all, No one is forcing you to listen to jokes about rape, or sexism, or racism. You have the choice to choose to change the channel or leave the area, just as they have the choice to tell the offensive joke. I personally, don't involve myself in the subject of rape, just to cut back on the butthurt BAW that it recieves. The way I see rape is that some loser that can't get laid goes and stalks a girl or guy untill they have the right moment and rapes them.

And I know this will definatly tick someone off, but I don't believe if someone is drunk, and they give consent to sex, then when they sober up they didn't want it, that it's rape. When you drink, you take that responsibility that your judgement will be lowered. I imediatly lose respect for people, male or female, That I've seen get drunk then bang someone, then say they were raped. I just find that to be so retarded. You gave consent, thus it was not rape, And the lowered judgement is to be expected, so i don't take that as an excuse. Now, that being said, if someone is date raped, or drugged, then yeah, thats rape.

I know I went a bit off topic, but I wanted to share my view points.

The way I see rape is that some loser that can't get laid goes and stalks a girl or guy untill they have the right moment and rapes them.
I'm sorry, but what? In nearly all cases, rape has nothing to do with sex at all, it's about the rapist having power over the victim. My rapist was a Marine, he got sex regularly from his wife and was well-loved by everyone. Most rapists aren't sexually deprived losers, they just want power over a person and that's a very easy way to get it.

As for the topic, I hated rape jokes before I became a statistic and they make me violently ill now. I think there are some topics that just shouldn't be joked about.

As for the topic, I hated rape jokes before I became a statistic and they make me violently ill now. I think there are some topics that just shouldn't be joked about.

But then, on the other hand, someone I know was raped and frequently makes rape jokes, so I personally can't take "offends rape victims" as a justification.

But then, on the other hand, someone I know was raped and frequently makes rape jokes, so I personally can't take "offends rape victims" as a justification.

Um, what? Why should it be necessary for all rape victims to be offended by rape jokes for that justification to be valid?

Because if the statment "rape jokes are offensive to rape victims" is not a true statement, any time it is used in a debate to justify the banning of rape jokes, the person using it is speaking of all people who have been raped, even those who aren't offended by rape jokes and/or don't oppose the banning of rape jokes, which is misusing those people to support an argument with which they fundamentally disagree.

The way I see rape

I'm sorry, but what? In nearly all cases, rape has nothing to do with sex at all, it's about the rapist having power over the victim. My rapist was a Marine, he got sex regularly from his wife and was well-loved by everyone. Most rapists aren't sexually deprived losers, they just want power over a person and that's a very easy way to get it.

Ohoho, It's called an opinion, not an educated one, but an opinion, partially because i believe that statistics are horse shit, in that if i drank apple juice my whole life,and never got sick from cancer, then said that it prevents cancer, I would be wrong, but how could anyone prove it, it worked for me. But off topic things aside, Sorry to hear that.

Ohoho, It's called an opinion, not an educated one, but an opinion, partially because i believe that statistics are horse shit, in that if i drank apple juice my whole life,and never got sick from cancer, then said that it prevents cancer, I would be wrong, but how could anyone prove it, it worked for me. But off topic things aside, Sorry to hear that.

You are doing a fantastic job of pissing people off while simultaneously failing to convince anyone of your argument.

Do you really, seriously believe that's how statistics work?

And I know this will definatly tick someone off, but I don't believe if someone is drunk, and they give consent to sex, then when they sober up they didn't want it, that it's rape. When you drink, you take that responsibility that your judgement will be lowered. I imediatly lose respect for people, male or female, That I've seen get drunk then bang someone, then say they were raped. I just find that to be so retarded. You gave consent, thus it was not rape, And the lowered judgement is to be expected, so i don't take that as an excuse. Now, that being said, if someone is date raped, or drugged, then yeah, thats rape.

I know I went a bit off topic, but I wanted to share my view points.

What gives you the right to tell someone whether they were raped or not?

Apple juice = rape. Good job.

If you are uneducated on a subject and do not wish to educate yourself, do not debate it. Especially when your position is incredibly offensive. And again, good job telling someone who just told you they became a statistic that statistics are bullshit.

Because if the statment "rape jokes are offensive to rape victims" is not a true statement, any time it is used in a debate to justify the banning of rape jokes, the person using it is speaking of all people who have been raped, even those who aren't offended by rape jokes and/or don't oppose the banning of rape jokes, which is misusing those people to support an argument with which they fundamentally disagree.

"Rape jokes are offensive to rape victims" =/= "Rape jokes are offensive to all rape victims".

Why does it have to offend every single rape victim for the statement to be justified?

This forum is for intelligent debate and discussion, not for just posting whatever poorly-thought-out sentiments you have on the subject and then going "well, it's just my opinion!" when challenged. If you're not prepared to argue your position with logic, you don't belong in a debate on it, period.

Furthermore, the post you were replying to had nothing to do with statistics and neither does your apple juice example. Please learn how the field of statistics actually works before you claim it's "horse shit".

Teh Ebil Snorlax said:
Generally they don't actually mean "rape jokes are offensive to ALL RAPE VICTIMS WITHOUT EXCEPTION EVER", but instead something more like "there is substantial reason for rape victims to be bothered by rape jokes and at least many of them are."

Generally they don't actually mean "rape jokes are offensive to ALL RAPE VICTIMS WITHOUT EXCEPTION EVER", but instead something more like "there is substantial reason for rape victims to be bothered by rape jokes and at least many of them are."

Well, see, I could take the second statement as being true, but the phrasing I presented is spoken as a general rule, which I don't think should be said about the opinions of a group of people unless you can definitely say that this group of people have this opinion. Yes, it's a semantic thing and it's not what the person intended to say, but I still think it's important.

EDIT: Actually, not just opinions but giving any attribute to a group of people unless you conclusively know it to be true.

What gives you the right to tell someone whether they were raped or not?

The fact that rape by its very definition involves forcing someone to have sex with you without their consent. So giving consent and then after the sex deciding that you didn't want to shouldn't count.

Though consent given when drunk/hight/otherwise unable to think clearly is kind of iffy anyways so you should never take the offer/consent of a drunk/high/unclearly thinking person at face value unless you're absolutely certain they're okay with it.

Last edited:
Well, no, but a question was asked and I was explaining why the original poster was right in saying that cases like that shouldn't count.

You don't get to tell someone whether they were raped or not. Seriously. No one gets to tell someone whether their rape 'counts' or doesn't 'count'. All rape is rape. When something happens to you, and you tell someone, and they say 'no - you know what? I don't think that counts. That didn't actually happened because it doesn't meet their qualifiers for bad-thing'. That isn't how life works. If someone says they were raped? Chances are they were raped.

You don't get to tell someone whether they were raped or not. Seriously. No one gets to tell someone whether their rape 'counts' or doesn't 'count'. All rape is rape. When something happens to you, and you tell someone, and they say 'no - you know what? I don't think that counts. That didn't actually happened because it doesn't meet their qualifiers for bad-thing'. That isn't how life works. If someone says they were raped? Chances are they were raped.

I've already elaborated and explained my view. And I was semiagreeing with you anyways.

Last edited:
Whether or not it happens often is irrelevant. The point is that, while I'm sure we all agree that "all rape is rape", there is such a thing as... not rape. Obviously, if somebody wasn't raped and yet claims they were, you're allowed to call them on it. Most people who claim to have been raped probably were, but I'm sure there's a handful who weren't.

Now, I'm not talking about cases where somebody is raped and people say retarded things like "she dresses like a slut so she asked for it" or "he's your husband so he can't rape you"; I'm talking about cases where you literally weren't raped. I'm certain there must have been at least one occasion where somebody claimed to have been raped in order to frame someone, for whatever reason.

So, in conclusion - you do get to tell someone they weren't raped if they weren't raped. Which is fairly obvious, really. I don't see why we're even discussing this. I mean, I realize that people being raped and then not being believed or getting any support is a major issue, but saying "you can never say a person wasn't raped" is a bit extreme, isn't it?

EDIT: Having looked it up on everyone's favourite Wikipedia, I learned that false accusations of rape "occur with a high enough frequency that failure to consider a false accusation of sexual assault during a criminal proceeding is considered a due process violation". Which, of course, is very tragic for all the real rape victims out there, but evidently it does happen.

Back
Top Bottom