• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Tales of Symphonia Evolution Mafia [DAY 8 - GAME OVER]

Re: Tales of Symphonia Evolution Mafia [DAY 3]

How do we know if Brute is dead? Maybe one of the mafia's action went through instead of Brute that has a non-killing role which could explain why there's one death.

Even if the serial killer can kill each night, maybe it's due to a healer? Or they have restrictions like the vigilante where they can't kill every night. It would be odd that the serial killer would easily be able to kill a person every night from the beginning.

Wait, the framer role...?

Is it possible that Zackrai was the framer, and he carried a copy of the note to draw suspicion away from the other mafia members?

Well, this *is* Evolution Mafia - it's possible that the Serial Killer role has levelled up to being able to kill every night. Or perhaps not. But Karkat has admitted to Stormecho's death, so maybe SK can't currently kill every night?

@Karkat: yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. ... But it certainly seems that if that's true, then our Mafia are rubbish. Or our doctor(s) are just very, very good.

It is possible that Stormecho was a bodyguard? Six posts might have been enough to guard someone but not, if this happens to be the next stage, to avoid death if protection is successful. That way it is not the case that the mafia randomly targeted Stormecho when there was no known reason to - Stormecho was just a bandwagoner - and it could explain why someone else didn't die.

There's also the commuter role (the one that can protect itself from death every other night) which could have been the target of the mafia.

Anyhow, Stormecho apparently needed three posts to level up - does that seem too low for a weakened bodyguard?

It could be possible that one of the kills by the serial killer were blocked by Decus the Roleblocker. Though it doesn't say if it's possible for the roleblocker to block their own mafia members attack.

Edit: Alright, never mind about the roleblocker blocking the mafia itself. Because it would count as a mafia action for the mafia group.

Last edited:

I think Zackrai was the one who wrote the note, since an original was found in his pocket or something, so it would make him Decus, probably.

Today seems to sound more like Brute. So I agree with the theory that Brute didn't send in a night action on the night the happy cheerful letter was sent.

Wait, what?

Where did the assumption that the mafia as a whole can only perform one action come from? Killing actions might be limited to one per group, though might not be, but it should be the mafia kill + framer + roleblocker every night, surely.

It seems odd how the tone shifts again and again in each letter. Lots of blocking could be going on, because you'd think one of them would do most of the killing. (Brute.) Or... maybe the one who makes the kill cannot use their additional action... and thus they've been taking turns in killing or something. Although that'd mean that somebody might be poisoned too, if Alice hadn't done the killing. Just a theory.

I'm not exactly sure what "parallel wounds" could mean. But I doubt it meant multiple people tried to target her. The change in the tone of the letter though could just mean that whoever tried to do the killing tonight was irritated because they got blocked rather than being a different person. "This is not over." They didn't get anything done.

@Kirby: ...just...

...why would the mafia roleblock itself?

I think it's safe to say that that the roleblocker was not active tonight, because I would be a very, very obvious target for a roleblocking, but my kill went through.

I think it's safe to say that that the roleblocker was not active tonight, because I would be a very, very obvious target for a roleblocking, but my kill went through.

It's safe to say the mafia roleblocker is not active or is not very strategic, yes. I don't want to rule out the possibility that the Wonder Chef may have roleblocking as one of his abilities (if that's even how he works), that Dirk may have the power to give a one-shot roleblocking item to someone, or that Colette's active... but none of those three would have a reason to roleblock you, so yes, your point stands.

Where did the assumption that the mafia as a whole can only perform one action come from? Killing actions might be limited to one per group, though might not be, but it should be the mafia kill + framer + roleblocker every night, surely.

At the very least, killer + framer + roleblocker... and quite possibly killer + unblockable killer + poisoner + framer + roleblocker minus whoever's using the kill action that night minus whoever Chief Zackrai was.

That gets me thinking, all the framer's description says is that it makes a person look Mafia to inspection. Might it, at higher levels, make people look Mafia upon death as well? If so, we've got to be careful because we can't rely on "oh, we've killed five Mafia so we've only got one left hurr durr".

I think it's extremely probable that the Serial Killer hasn't leveled up yet. The odds that both the Mafia and SK kills (since Karkat has already claimed having killed Stormecho) would be healed are pretty damn low, as are the odds that both Karkat and one of the two other killers would happen to decide to kill the same inactive, while simultaneously the third kill gets healed. The Serial Killer being unable (or perhaps unwilling, due to low-level drawbacks?) to kill is the most likely situation IMO.

Has anyone suggested the possiblity that Stormecho was Tenbrae (redirect to themselves) and accidentally got a Mafia player?

I think that the change in tone of the letters reflect who sent in the kill PM. What do you guys think?

Maybe Wonder chef pitched something helpful?? Or is that not how that role works?

I'm not sure about the framer, but isn't the roleblocker listed separately from the rest of the mafia group? At the very least, I'm sure both the roleblocker and mafia can perform a night action.

There's a roleblocker (mafia proper) and rolestopper (vaguely terroristy). Roleblocker targets someone and that person's action fails. Rolestopper targets someone and all other actions targeting that person would fail, except the mafia kill.

Probably has to be that way, I guess; if the mafia killers and rolestopper could coordinate, it'd be way overpowered. It's almost better than a kill that can't be blocked - except on players whose own roles involve some level of immunity to death - since it can go through healing/defending roles. If they could talk, they'd probably have both targeted Karkat on the same night and been done with it. And any protect-against-death roles would be more like spam-against-Kratos roles.

... assuming that's what you meant. The roleblocker probably can perform a night action in the same night that a kill goes through, though. That's how it is in pretty much every other mafia game, isn't it?

I'm not sure about the framer, but isn't the roleblocker listed separately from the rest of the mafia group? At the very least, I'm sure both the roleblocker and mafia can perform a night action.

I think it's the rolestopper you're thinking of, not the roleblocker. I would assume that the roleblocker and framer at least would be able to use their actions while the Mafia still kills, otherwise there would be very little point in their having those actions at all.

Also, re: parallel wounds: the flavour text said that Chief Zackrai (who was also killed by Kam) had a "nasty-looking open wound on his chest". Stormecho had "parallel wounds in her back and chest". It does seem to me that she was targeted by two people, then; either that or the flavour text is entirely irrelevant.

About the serial killer: they could be inactive or have had their target healed, as people have already suggested, or they could have been the second one to target Stormecho (if indeed she was killed by two people), but is it possible that they're already dead? The SK flips Mafia after death as Zackrai did, and we've seen that Zackrai's death was probably not what caused the change of tone in the letter since we had another one of those today, meaning that we don't actually know for sure if he was in fact part of the Mafia (or was there some other reason for thinking so that I missed?). Since Zackrai had so few posts, he probably wouldn't have been able to kill anyone, which would explain the fact that we've never had three deaths in one night as we've been expecting? I don't know, it's just a thought; we can't really be sure at this point in the game, I guess.

Probably has to be that way, I guess; if the mafia killers and rolestopper could coordinate, it'd be way overpowered. It's almost better than a kill that can't be blocked - except on players whose own roles involve some level of immunity to death - since it can go through healing/defending roles. If they could talk, they'd probably have both targeted Karkat on the same night and been done with it.

This is true, and also:

sign-up thread said:
Richter and Aqua are confirmed to one another at the start of the game but cannot converse in private (a la fishing brothers).

I'm fairly certain this means that the rolestopper (and also the terrorist, as usual) isn't allowed to talk to the Mafia, or else there'd be no need for that confirming thing.

I think that the change in tone of the letters reflect who sent in the kill PM. What do you guys think?

It's probably either who sent in the PM or who's the highest-ranked Mafia member executing the kill (and if the latter, that would indicate either Zackrai really was Mafia, not Serial Killer, or something else mitigating happened like the Mafia leader choosing to let an underling do the kill one night).

Has anyone suggested the possiblity that Stormecho was Tenbrae (redirect to themselves) and accidentally got a Mafia player?

Ooh that's possible.

About the serial killer: they could be inactive or have had their target healed, as people have already suggested, or they could have been the second one to target Stormecho (if indeed she was killed by two people), but is it possible that they're already dead? The SK flips Mafia after death as Zackrai did, and we've seen that Zackrai's death was probably not what caused the change of tone in the letter since we had another one of those today, meaning that we don't actually know for sure if he was in fact part of the Mafia (or was there some other reason for thinking so that I missed?). Since Zackrai had so few posts, he probably wouldn't have been able to kill anyone, which would explain the fact that we've never had three deaths in one night as we've been expecting? I don't know, it's just a thought; we can't really be sure at this point in the game, I guess.

Ugh, that's possible too.

Sorry I don't have much to say anymore, the midgame is really the toughest for me except when I'm inspector and can go hogwild finding people. Opening and endgame I can pretty well reason out.

If Zackrai was the Serial Killer that could very well explain why he was killed outside instead of in his bed. Then again, if he was the Mafia killer that also explains it.

Just, what would the serial killer be doing with an original copy of the letter in his pocket? The flavour text might not be something we should thoroughly examine like a crime scene, but it does seem a bit odd that he'd have it. On the other hand, he could be the terrorist/rolestopper who's such a huge fan he found the letter on the ground and kept it close to his heart...

... nah.

Back
Top Bottom