• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Gay (Marriage) Thread

Shiny Grimer

Pronoun
she/her, they/them
Every couple of months, there's a thread concerning gay marriage or gay civil rights. "Gay marriage is legal in X State!" "Shiiiit, civil unions were outlawed in Y Country!" It'd be kind of cool to have a single thread to discuss all these things in context. I hereby dub this The Gay (Marriage) Thread.

AWESOME NEWS: Mexico City legalized gay marriage and gay adoptions! yessss Latin America is ridiculously conservative (it makes the US look like Sweden, though it's not as conservative as Africa + Middle East), so this is good news! The country is very Catholic, so expect opposition, but that this got approved in the first place rules.
Uruguay legalizes civil unions. Not gay marriage, but civil unions. Still a start!
Argentina allows civil unions and has first gay marriage.

SUCKISH NEWS:
Ugandan lawmakers consider passing anti-gay bill.
This is more than an anti-gay law. This law makes being gay illegal, as in you get the death penalty if you are found guilty of, you know, being gay. Family members, friends, and even landlords that fail to report someone's homosexuality face prison. fuck fuck fuck

AMBIGUOUS NEWS: Rwanda to scrap anti-gay part of bill. The UNAIDS council requested that a part of the bill which focused on homosexuals (probably ones with AIDS) be removed since it goes against the international charter of human rights. OK, so this won't be in the penal code. However, there is still insistence that homosexuality should not ever be considered normal, and most Rwandans are apparently disgusted by this.

Discuss, yo.

Hopefully the civilized world will legalize gay marriage universally within the next couple of decades. I have no hope for the red/orange/brown countries here, though.

(In regards to that map above, wouldn't being gay in South Africa be really difficult? Like, if you want to go north at all, it suddenly becomes a crime.)

Africa depresses me but I am glad to see the world turning progressively more blue. Look at that little Latin America c: just got to reach a darker shade, loves.

Yeah, I very much hope the situation will change over the next few years. It's likely, since marriage was first legalized in 2001 in Holland and has spread pretty well in a little under ten years. We'll have to see how the next decade goes, but I'm optimistic.
The US kind of looks like a jigsaw puzzle with a bunch of missing pieces :v if they ever make a straight line across the country (though you'd probably have to get Utah in there so not fucking likely) it'd be pretty cool. The Gay Line.

yessss Latin America is ridiculously conservative (it makes the US look like Sweden, though it's not as conservative as Africa + Middle East), so this is good news!

hahahaha what

point out to me the last time the USA had a nationwide anti-homophobia campaign run by the government

point out to me the last time the USA had a nationwide anti-homophobia campaign run by the government

In terms of overall social policy, yes, the USA is more liberal than Latin America (I said that Latin America made the USA look like Sweden; it's still depressingly conservative on social issues). In any case, I'd reckon that being gay in the United States is far easier than being gay in Latin America, even with these gay marriage laws. There's a lot more sexism there, too, and definitely prejudice against non-white people. Overall, the USA is more liberal (tolerant?) on these issues compared to most Latin American countries.

I wish it were actually like Sweden.

You missed my point. The nationwide anti-homophobia campaign I was referencing was run by the Brazilian government.

I can't believe it is even possible to outlaw a sexuality. That is like making it a crime to be anorexic.

Oh, whoops. I thought you said South America at the beginning. Yeah, Central America is pretty homophobic overall - though there's always Mexico!

The majority of the South American countries, though - Brazil, Uruguay, and Argentina are the leading examples - are much more progressive than the US when it comes to issues of gay rights.

The Civil Marriage Bill is supposed to becoming through here in Ireland later this year. Civil unions. Blech. It's better than nothing but still.

I get that (separate but equal), but it's still a victory, no? Hopefully, over time, as civil unions become more widespread, people will realize "Hey, these gay people in a relationship aren't so bad. We're doing something wrong by relegating them to this 'other' union" and start to fight for gay marriage or something that puts their relationship in the same context as a straight marriage.

I don't know. I see them as so massively degrading that I'd much rather not have them at all. At least in the US, those in a civil union are still missing about 1,000 rights that married couples have, so you can't really say it's "separate but equal." Just "separate."

I love how Canada is just that huge dark blue wonderful spot that makes the US look pathetic.

I wouldn't call Canada 'rebellious'~
Just boring.
The most interesting thing that's happened in Canadian politics, according to the Canadians at Starmen, is the coalition thing. yay?

The 'tvs and trees coexisting' tag made me laugh.

Canada rocks, Mexico City is <3

Also, just 'cause Canada isn't on the news all the time doesn't mean it's boring :< It just means it's safer. Which some might say is boring, but most wouldn't.

Well I mean I live in Canada and even I think it's boring compared to everything else that goes on in the world :<

not that that's necessarily bad! It's better than having something huge shake up the whole country. Or our government going batshit and massively violating human rights a la Uganda.

Also that tag is brilliant.

Back
Top Bottom