• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Mafia Choice Mafia 2 - Game Thread

for a tiny claim: i do have a night action that i *could* use on herbe tonight but i've been trying to figure out if there's something bastardy going on with it, and targeting herbe with it would not help me figure out if it's bastardy or not (i do not want to elaborate further on that toDay, maybe tomorrow)

ok so since today is day of roleclaim so that i do not get yeeted into a pit: my game is ooctvt! for reference, ooctvt is (potentially) known for a few things in particular:
- a LOT of info roles
- rnp's main role was completely useless
- everyone had misleading stuff in their role PMs

my role (paraphrased) is that i pick a person and then i will recieve information about them. the flavor goes into detail about how i cross-reference conversations and write down potentially incriminating things they've previously said. i thought the results were going to be straightforward until night 0's results came in, when i started to realize something was going to be weird and that flavor is maybe more relevant than i thought

NIGHT 0
n0 i targeted herbe, because herbe frequently does d1 accusations/votes and i wanted to know if they were doing it in good faith or not. i got the following results:
herbe's the town boy! he's the one who wins!!!!

now you'll notice here that it's just a direct quote from PPM. regardless of that, it made me go "ok so herbe is town" and i didn't really think much of the implications of how this result system works until day 1 when i started to go tinfoil hat mode

DAY 1
d1 i wanted to post this right off the bat because i had basically been told that herbe is town:
frens is when you have a bud
herbe

also then at some point on d1, i started tinfoil hatting myself a bit because i remembered that this is an rnp game! so i was a little curious what would happen if i targeted someone who didn't post in the game they chose for their role, leading to this question:
also i don't know if everyone picked a game that they played in, but that's something i might do a little research on later
(note: i did not ever make this list because i forgot to.)

this post was because i realized that my role is *kind of* an analogue to my ooctvt wiki oracle (in spirit) (with more restrictions and also i get ominous responses through quotes instead of the wikipedia article for Egg as food):
also my role does not mechanically exist in ooctvt
ok now that i've actually looked at ooctvt for the first time in like a year, apparently i did include a potential action in it that's like an analogue to my role in this game

NIGHT 1
n1 i went for mewtini on the off chance that zori's claimed day action was real and that maybe i would get some useful information about her. please note the load-bearing word "useful" in that statement before reading the results i got

this was the result i got:
good news guys

which tells me basically nothing! i got this result and immediately went "ok so something's up, but i guess i can just take that as an indication that mewt is maybe town??"

DAY 2
i said i had this towncore from d0 to cover up that i actually targeted both these people and got some level of information about both of them (with the load-bearing assumption that mewt is maybe town):
i don't have any real opinion on any of them other than that i have a vague towncore from d0 that's like me/herbe/mewt but tbh it was just based on Vibes and not any Actual Real Substance

and now we're all caught up to now

tl;dr my role is probably some kind of bastard role that i was assuming would be more useful than it actually is. i'm going to find someone who never posted in the game they chose (maybe sande?) & target them toNight and see if i get anything out of that (and if i don't, then i know this is pretty much a bastard role)

so your results are all direct quotes from the target players in the game they picked out? that's incredibly extra. still, not only is it in-character for RNP -- well, I may as well say it first opportunity I have lest I roleclaim later and someone accuses me of basing it off yours: my role has a similar thing built into it. in any case, I can now see what's had you particularly preoccupied with sussing out stuff based on the players' flavor picks

now, the way you've described the basic functionality of the role sort of reminds me of a rolecop, which is a role that can be run with either main alignment but is primarily seen in wolf factions -- however, the results you're getting appear to be in line with how a regular cop functions, and that's a role that's, in most cases and likely this one included, useless as scum. however, it's also possible you're not sharing the actual results of your investigations; if you were a snitch rolecop, it wouldn't do much good to volunteer to town information that could simply be kept in the in-group's hands. I'll also say that your one unambiguous result being the alignment of a player who is presently very highly SRable as-is isn't the best of looks, although doctoring quotes specifically for this sort of hedging seems less than simple to say the least, and there is the matter of that D1 breadcrumb

ugh, now I'm the one who's tinfoiling to hell

so your results are all direct quotes from the target players in the game they picked out?
yep! that's why i want to see what i get if i target someone who never spoke in the game they chose

I'll also say that your one unambiguous result being the alignment of a player who is presently very highly SRable as-is isn't the best of looks, although doctoring quotes specifically for this sort of hedging seems less than simple to say the least, and there is the matter of that D1 breadcrumb
yeah i wanted to do the herbe breadcrumb in a way that looks like "ok this is probably just mawile memeing about stuff" LOL. honestly i probably should have targeted someone else who's harder for me to read (like zm or sande) n0, but i was fresh off reading some game (i literally cannot find the gamei'm thinking of) where someone posted a big list of games where herbe has immediately started accusing/trying to vote someone out d1 without much prior discussion and what their alignment was in each of those games (iirc it turned out that that was not very alignment indicative of them)

but i was fresh off reading some game (i literally cannot find the gamei'm thinking of) where someone posted a big list of games where herbe has immediately started accusing/trying to vote someone out d1 without much prior discussion and what their alignment was in each of those games (iirc it turned out that that was not very alignment indicative of them)
that's the contest pokémafia that just finished I'm pretty sure

oh wow that's an exceedingly detailed roleclaim

i was feeling weird about you and herbe both having the same "towncore" based only on vibes/memes and not anything concrete, but this allays that pretty nicely

now please excuse me while i work through the same paranoia as mampers at a slight time delay-

@Mawile why would you assume your role is some hilariously convoluted bastard role and not just an alignment cop with a bit of obfuscation. the latter seems like a more obvious conclusion to me.

why would you assume your role is some hilariously convoluted bastard role and not just an alignment cop with a bit of obfuscation
to be completely honest here: when i got the "good news guys" as an answer my brain simply latched onto "something is wrong here" -> potential bastard role and i legitimately did not think that it's just an alignment cop until both you and m&f mentioned that

well, on the one hand my doubts aren't settled exactly -- but on the other hand, I wasn't wolfreading Mawile that hard anyway, so I think I'd rather see what he comes up with for another Day at least. it may likely be worth the risk, eh?

so moving up on the PoE, sanderidge is next. this may or may not be a mercy, too-

someone do the votecount for me i have to do a bit of driving

6 and a half hours left? ish? i've been doing paperwork all bloody day sorry

so if i assume that mewt's "good news guys" is actually an obfuscated town result (and herbe's town quote is also a town result), then that puts us at the following alignments:

town: mawile, herbe, mewt
mafia: zori
3p: stryke
unknown: zm, qenya, m&f, sande

i'll help tie the vote for sanderidge right now since it's one of my unknowns

wowee imagine actually being awake for mafia (it's me i'm awake for mafia. this is what you get for boldly declaring that it's good dayphase happens while you're awake)

idk if there's anything bad that can come of me claiming now, so i might as well?? i don't have a particularly useful role and it's currently useless now anyway. i have to collect fruit from people to unlock my actual power - once i get five pieces of fruit i get Something Nice, which i thiiink is a jack-of-all-trades set of oneshots sort of thing? the flavor lists off a bunch of the things you can do when you've eaten fruit in acnh the game, but that i refuse to get moving unless i've stocked up enough fruit to do everything i want to do. i get one piece of fruit passively every night and i can target someone to ask them for fruit at night. so currently i am pretty useless rip.

the one thing that miiiight be helpful for now is that i can tell if my target was roleblocked, because then i can't get any fruit from them. n0 i targeted mewt and she was blocked, so i didn't get anything; i haven't mentioned this until now because i didn't think it was relevant, since there was still a kill n0. i also targeted mewt last night and didn't get anything because i didn't read my pm carefully (and went "yeah i'm sure i want to target mewt" when rnp asked me if i was sure) and i only get one chance to ask a specific person for fruit lmao, so i wasted my action last night. so i am currently sitting at two pieces of fruit and unable to do anything directly useful until at minimum the Day after toMorrow, assuming i target someone who doesn't get blocked tonight.

anyway rip i do not have anything more useful than that. i also don't have scumreads on anyone - i acknowledge this is in part due to massive bias of "friends!!! i am playing game with friends!!! people that i have not gotten to play game with in a long time/ever!!!" and in part to my sleep schedule being extremely fucked rn.

(email voice) Hope This Helps it is about all i have to offer for... basically the whole game

once i get five pieces of fruit i get Something Nice, which i thiiink is a jack-of-all-trades set of oneshots sort of thing?
out of curiosity, if you reached 5 fruit, would you be able to fire off multiple oneshots in one night or can you only use one per night?

hmmmmmmm
so based on sande's testimony, either
1) mewt was blocked n0 by stryke, who immediately died
2) mewt was blocked n0 by someone else, who's still alive, and has thus far entirely declined to speak up on a day with no deaths

3) sande is a sussy baka

Mewtini, can you confirm that you could have been blocked n0?

once i get five pieces of fruit i get Something Nice, which i thiiink is a jack-of-all-trades set of oneshots sort of thing?
out of curiosity, if you reached 5 fruit, would you be able to fire off multiple oneshots in one night or can you only use one per night?
actually you know what i did some math. for you to get 5 fruit, you would need to have 2-3 independent, non-roleblocked targets on nights 0, 1, and 2, and you wouldn't be able to perform any actions until night 3, right?

let's take some deaths into account. if we assume that just one person dies every night while you're gathering your fruit (n0, n1, n2), and one person is yeeted every day until night 3 (d1, d2, d3), then that's 6 people dead, and only 3 alive at the start of n3. if we assume that another death occurs on n3, then there's only two people left to participate in d4, and we either have a town win or a mafia win by this point. (on top of this, you would need to be extremely careful to only ask for fruit from people who you think are immediately going to die, since you're locked out of getting fruit from them if you (1) ask them more than once and (2, presumably) if they're dead)

idk it seems like really weird balance to me to have a role that can either (1) can get completely hardlocked out of being able to perform its actions/oneshots (if you choose the wrong people earlygame and get stuck with a group of people lategame that you've already asked for fruit from), or (2) basically can't do anything until the game is basically completely over, the night before it's won (assuming you survive to that point and play a perfect game)

Back
Top Bottom