• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Obstinea Mountains Obstine Abbey

Jackie Cat

A cat who writes stories.
Heartache staff
Pronoun
they or she
It is written, that if one walks, they will inevitably arrive at their destination. Whether it was the place they had in mind when their journey began was unimportant – what mattered was recognising it when they got there.

Anyone would be lucky to recognise Obstine Abbey as their destination.

If one expected Obstine Abbey to be an austere monastery for reclusive ascetics, they’d be sorely mistaken. As a weary adventurer climbed the final few steps of the last of many steep mountain paths, they would round one peak to see their first glimpse of the abbey: brightly-coloured roofs, pennants and bunting, all adorning buildings carved and constructed up and down the slopes of not one, but two peaks. The abbey was built staggeringly vertical, rooftop upon storey upon balcony upon hallway upon path. Each half of the monastery faced the other, connected by a cable car that hung precipitously over the gulf between them – a sea of clouds in which gyarados swam.

From the moment one set foot at the entrance to the grounds, the mountainside monastery sprawled out before them; an array of hidden plateaus dotted with wildflower meadows and tamped earthen pathways nestled amongst sheer cliffs, from which hung buildings that heeded no need for solid foundations, nor paid mind to mere gravity. Windows and doors peeked out from rocky cliffs, connected only by steep stairs carved from the stone itself, or rickety-looking lifts – hand-cranked contraptions of wood and rope that could probably hold the weight of a small group, or one or two larger pokémon. Probably.

Other options for traversing the abbey's verticality presented themselves as one became familiar with its grounds. Waterfalls cascaded from plateau to plateau, pouring out from the heart of the mountain itself to gather in pools, the largest of which held a swirling school of magikarp covered in koi-like patterns. The waterfalls made easy access for athletic water-faring ‘mon, but for the less aquatically-inclined, the noble form of a white-dappled gyarados could often be seen climbing the falls, carrying passengers on their back.

The southern grounds were ancient – its carved fences and worked stone paths weathered by time. The valley which parted the twin monastery grounds was marked by an island in its sea of clouds – a small plateau, stood alone at its center, home to a shrine that looked almost like an arena of sorts, accessible by wing, or by cable car. Then, at the far side of the valley, more modern adornments stood out on the northern cliffsides. Funicular tracks cut between levels with stops at different buildings – the monks’ quarters, food hall, and library wing, much of which looked to be of newer construction than their counterparts across from them.

Despite being a place of quiet contemplation, there was always an energy of movement across the mountaintop. Wildflowers danced in the breeze as various species of bee and winged insects flitted among the greenery. Monks in protective head gear tended to apiary frames among the meadows, gathering honey and whispering secrets to the hives. The funiculars, lifts, and cable cars all trundled in sedate but constant motion, moving passengers to and fro in no particular hurry. All were welcome, and would be given shelter here. One could hardly imagine the peace interrupted by any darkness – it was small wonder the monks settled this place, of all places.

<><><><><>​

Many thanks to @Panoramic_Vacuum for assisting with the writeup.

[Ch04] ~ The Place Closest to the Sky
So, this was the monastery they'd come for. It almost seemed worth it just for the view.

Although, as Laura groaned under her breath at her aching feet and aching body, what she really wanted right now was not a visual spectacle, but rest and recuperation. Where to find some? Just... keep walking forward until they found an obliging monk...?

"H-hey! Hang on, there!"

It seemed a monk had found them.

A charmeleon wearing a saffron cloth wrap across her torso – as did many of the monks – descended from further up the abbey. She did not yet have her wings, but she moved almost as if she did, jumping from level to level, occasionally bracing herself with one paw against the nearest wall to slow her fall. She arrived to land heavily on a nearby patch of grass in hardly any time at all.

"Who— Uh, who goes there?" she demanded, her voice hitching a little, like an adolescent not used to raising their voice. She looked adolescent – the marks of age beginning to show on her gangly frame. One paw was bound with a bandage of some kind. The kind of girl who got into scrapes? She certainly hadn't seemed mindful of risk as she hurtled down a near-sheer hundred-yard drop.

"In name and spirit if not in appearance," Aige said quietly, taking in the view. "But who says an abbey has to be stuffy... it's not as if realizing my presumptions is something I need to be happy."

It looked like matters of the soul were not immune from the trappings of modernization. For the Roggenrola however, it brought the question of if that thought in and of itself was just a piece of her own understanding that should be held back.

You know, you can think of enlightenment as a progression of the soul in the same sense that invention is the progression of ingenuity, she thought. It's what's inside that counts or whatever.

Her thoughts were interrupted by the appearance of the Charmeleon. Despite the strong entrance, Aige felt a little relieved that it was a relatively friendly looking one compared to her recent experiences.

She looked at the others briefly. "I can't speak for anyone else here, but I'm a visitor. Probably not a pilgrim though. Are we intruding on anything?"

Having said her piece, she backed up a little.

"N-no, not really," began the Charmeleon, crossing her arms, "but... I gotta check if you're okay, before I let you pass!"

Laura somehow doubted that the abbey's security forces consisted of one teenager on her own. She decided to humour the kid. She coughed lightly, and waved.

"Uh, hi. I'm Laura. This is Aige, Dave, Odette, Lyle, Rodion, Silver, and Felin..."

She smiled sheepishly as the poor Charmeleon's face filled with dread at the number of names to remember.

"We're all part of the Wayfarers. You can just call us that, if you want? Uh, you're a monk, right? What's your name?"

The Charmeleon gulped, and returned the wave, glancing at her hand, maybe to check if she was doing it right. "Shira. Uh, I mean, my name is Shira, miss! I'm only an acolyte – a student. But I'm really strong! Stronger than I look, I swear!"

She brandished two clawed fists and planted them together, knuckle to knuckle, and bowed slightly.

"I'll defend the Abbey from anyone who means it harm. I swear it!"

Without warning, as they approached the abbey, a Charmeleon was descending towards them at top speed, and a horrid, acidic jolt of adrenaline coursed through Dave like a live wire before the creature stopped on a patch of grass with an awkward greeting. Eyes alert, gangly frame but clearly not the same Charmeleon. Obviously. Not like there was only one Charmeleon in the fucking world.

Shira, huh. Her voice and manner were obviously teenagerish, awkward and insecure. The idea of teenage monks was kind of fucking weird, kids who didn't know what they were doing getting roped into some religious order before they had the frontal lobes to think critically about it. At least supposedly this was a relatively harmless religion.

"Yeah, uh, no, we're not here to fight anyone. We're visiting, and hoping to learn more about this Radiance power, and about the Wandering Light if she's around. And a place to sit down would be great."

Last edited:
Okay, so. Not exactly what she was expecting from an “abbey,” and yet somehow right on the money. As they neared, she didn’t get overwhelmed with nausea or anything of the sort. Granted, she usually only started feeling it upon going inside a holy building, but it didn’t hurt to pay attention and look out for potential signs and symptoms. She hung more toward the back of the group, surveying the area on her own time.

The presence of a charmeleon had her standing back at attention, and she had to concentrate on not making a face. Really? They had barely-through-puberty teens hired on here as apparent screeners for those who could enter? After talking with Koa, she’d gotten better at avoiding judging these voice-cracking kids by their covers, but come on.

At least she—Shira—was trying her best. Hopefully she was here on her own accord and not because she’d been raised and urged into it. “Your zeal is something, but nobody’s here to harm. Like the poochyena said, we’re just here to learn more about Radiance, and we’re under the impression this is the best place to do so.” She nodded once. “And uh…yeah. A place to sit and some water? That’d be nice.”

Whoa! That was quite the majestic monastery, and Silver couldn’t help but be impressed by the spectacular architecture and richness of the panorama. The shining roofs, the fresh waterfalls, the air-swimming Gyarados… really, the temple in Mt. Silver was nothing compared to all of that.

The now-Sneasel was so focused on his surroundings that he winced in surprise when something — or rather, someone — landed on the floor not too far from them. He stared at the new arrival, raising an eyebrow and looking back and forth from the Charmeleon to the upper floors.

Huh. What was up with all those folks dropping off of high places? First the Gallade with an obvious attitude, and now a Charmeleon in monk clothing? Was free-falling a popular hobby in Forlas or something?

Still, that Charmeleon — Shira, as she introduced herself — sounded and looked very much like a young ‘mon, probably even close to his age. Also, her respectful and passionate demeanor reminded him a lot of the sages in Violet and Ecruteak. It felt… familiar, almost in a cozy and comfortable way.

As such, Silver got closer and showed his usual neutral smile, doing his best to appear amiable.

“Hey there,” he greeted, before pressing his palms together and returning the slow bow. “What my teammates said is correct. We’re only here to learn more about Radiance. There are Shadows in the world, and we need to learn about that technique to better contain ‘em.”

Just as slowly, Silver stood back up and flashed a tiny smirk. “And I sure hope you can back up your claims ‘bout being strong! I’m always up for some sparring, if you’d like that! After a good rest, of course.”

Aige tried to match the names Laura had said with faces, happy to have something to go off of.

"I have nothing to add," she added as everyone else spoke. "We are here for radiance and all that, but personally, I have my own questions."

She hoped that her lack of a face wouldn't set her apart from the others in the trustworthiness department.

"Radiance?" asked Shira, her shoulders tensing up, before relaxing again as Felin stepped forward.

"Oh! Sprigatito Felin! I... I didn't recognise you. Forgive me!"

The Charmeleon bowed again, and looked the party over fresh, knowing that Felin was among them.

"So, you are Felin's companions? She mentioned there were more of you in Frontier Town, also working to fight evil. If you are friends of Felin, and not here to do harm, then you are welcome here. I can show you around! And... I can accept a challenge afterwards, if you like!"

The flustered lizard seemed a little sheltered to Laura, and clearly hesitant at being asked about Radiance, but at least she seemed more or less well-adjusted...

"Who asked you to guard the Abbey entrance?" she asked, already feeling she knew the answers.

"Oh, uh. Nobody," replied Shira, a little too quickly, turning to lead the party further into the monastery grounds. "But it's important, so someone's gotta do it. That's me. You never know when a demon might show up. Right?"

Laura had a feeling Shira had been asked not to challenge new arrivals, but maybe it wasn't worth pressing her about it right now...

'Demon', though. Had a Shadow pokémon visited here before...?

Silver glanced at Felin when she asked about the demon. Among witching beasts and zombified ‘mons, potential demons wouldn’t sound out of place. Though, at the end of the day, both were terms to refer to Shadow Pokémon. His chest clenched in discomfort; did they spread out and reach secluded and faraway places, too? If that was the case, then the situation was much worse than he had expected.

Aside from that, it was obvious that Shira was basically a self-appointed guard. Something about her eagerness to fulfill her duty and protect the abbey made Silver wonder if she was looking for the approval of monks with higher ranks, if she wanted to keep her home safe, or if she wished to prove her worth. Maybe a bit of everything.

“And say, Shira, who’s the highest authority around here?” he asked, his gaze wandering to the high roof and the various platforms. “This place is immense. It gotta have someone who makes sure things run smoothly, right?”

Last edited:
Right, Felin had mentioned having been here before. Could've saved some trouble if she'd just fucking stepped forward earlier.

"Demons, huh." Shadow Pokémon, he took it. "You sure you should be on guard duty alone, against 'demons'? Do your people know you took this upon yourself, or what?" Did she have parents up there? Or was this a monastery taking in orphans sort of deal?

Shira lead the way with the confidence of someone who knows a place like the back of their paw, and the disregard for her guests' ability to keep pace that comes with youth. As she did, she hopped up on one of the wooden railings that protected one from falling off the edge of the path, and walked one paw in front of the other, balancing with her arms outstretched.

"I haven't fought a demon yet, but if one shows up, I'll be ready," insisted Shira. "I went to Frontier Town and I heard all about them. Master Akela is in charge, I guess? We don't really... order each other around very much, or anything like that. Anyway, Master Akela is kindof like the head monk, or anyway people treat her like she is, which is the same thing, and she says I have a 'prodigious talent' for fighting. Anyway if she really thought I shouldn't be guarding the Abbey, she would've said something."

Shira made a face like she probably would guard the Abbey even if Master Akela had told her not to.

"Prodigal," she corrected herself, as an afterthought. "Prodigal talent."

She clenched a clawed fist again, and there was a flash of gold in her eyes.

"Want me to prove it to you, Mister?"

At this point, Dave might get a premonition that this lanky teenage girl probably could hand him his own ass and have fun doing it. Besides that, there was a kind of thrumming in her voice, in the occasional charged syllable...

For a moment the confident, casual assertion that she could take him in a fight made him think of Mia. (And look how that had ended.)

He gave a stiff wince. "No need for that." That thrum in her voice sounded like Isidora when Sierra'd given her a taste of the power, didn't it. "So you've got Radiance, huh? Something they teach you from childhood?"

“I called dibs on the throw down, y’know…” whined Silver to himself, keeping his voice low enough so that nobody else would hear it. Besides, it’s not like he was really in the mood for a fight. What he needed was a soft, flat surface so that he could lay down and sleep like a log — pronto!

Still, what Dave said caught his attention. Radiance. Did Shira just channel some of that power?

‘So, some of the signs of Radiance include giving golden eyes and a built-in autotune voice changer to the user?’ He blinked slowly. ‘Huuuh, okay? I bet the singers and Coordinators in the team will appreciate that Radiant stuff. Seems flashy enough for live performances and whatnot.’

“I’d say that what we all truly want right now is some rest to recover our strength,” said Silver, before crossing his arms and smirking mischievously. “But after that it’s all fair game! Heck, maybe you can show us some of those glowy powers and talent, too! Really wanna see what cool stuff you can do with ‘em!”

Last edited:
Shira shook her head and put an extra jolt of speed on her heels.

"No way, stranger! Radiance is not a toy for showing off! The power of the light is a serious responsibility, and I meditate every day to maintain my focus so that I may never misuse it."

The Charmeleon looked back over her shoulder at Dave, and her little guilty smile returned.

"Most monks can't get the hang of it at all, and you can't teach it to kids. I just... caught the light, I guess. When I evolved."

Having walked further into the monastery grounds, the group had reached a sort of small plateau on which some of the south side's larger structures were founded, and they were now among other monks, some of whom politely nodded or raised a limb in greeting.

One approached – a species that not all Wayfarers might recognise. A ghostly quality to his upward-trailing grey fur, sullen, red eyes, and shattered metal cuffs that yet clung to his dark limbs – an Annihilape. Rather than a full robe or even a sash, this one wore a small saffron ribbon around a tuft of loose head-fur.

"Hi," said the Annihilape, in a voice that sounded like gravestones being ground to powder. "Why are you lot here?"

"Good evening, Master Gandu," said Shira, preempting the party. "These are travellers from Frontier Town, here to ask about Radiance and the Wandering Light. They've travelled a long way and are very tired."

"Okay," said Master Gandu, his face as dark as the fall of empires.

He raised a blackened fist and stabbed an accusatory finger at one tall building.

"Guest hall has food and beds. It's free of charge. Be polite. Don't make a mess."

He gestured at a smaller building perched further up the mountain face, accessible by a narrow wooden walkway built into a sheer rock face.

"Akela's place. If you want to ask questions."

He glowered up at the largest of the more contemporary buildings across the cloud-filled chasm, his eyes filled with a wrath that could outlast all else in creation.

"Library. If you want to ask more questions."

He put his paw to his own chest, his fingers clutching at an unbeating heart.

"Tell me if anyone gives you trouble. Or if there's a problem. Or if you want to have a problem."

Shira snorted into a cupped paw. "Master Gandu just means you can challenge him in the circle if you want. He's one of the strongest philosophers in the Abbey."

"Yeah," said Master Gandu, with a nod that drew the eye to the bloodless yet pulsing veins on his forehead. "I like new visitors. Welcome to Obstine Abbey, friends."

Aige wasn't sure where she fit into the insistent refrain of fighting. She wasn't a big fighter, at least not in the sense that seemed to keep coming up - with lofty notions of honor and mutual respect between opponents.

"I don't see myself challenging anyone," she said, her tone wavering a little. "Generally I don't pick fights I don't think I can win."

The Roggenrola paused. "That's not a statement of confidence," she clarified. "It's just me being careful. Feel free to call me a coward if it suits you. If anyone else is going to fight though, I'll cheer you on."

She looked at the others. "If we're sticking together, I vote to go to the library first. If not... then I'll go there anyway!"

Lyle had been hanging back in the crowd and wasn't really sure what to make of the place. It wasn't that there wasn't anything to be said about the towering abbey around them, the Charmeleon monk who looked like she'd be more at home apprenticing in Frontier Village, the Annihilape one who looked like he'd probably be able to kill someone just by looking at them funny, the fact that Shadow Pokémon were apparently considered demons here, or... everything that Shira had shown off about Radiance. Quite the opposite, between everything going on, he'd had scarcely enough time to pick up his jaw off the floor when...

She looked at the others. "If we're sticking together, I vote to go to the library first. If not... then I'll go there anyway!"

He knew that he, Rodion, and Silver had been planning on pressing on for a while after they got this Radiance for themselves. Maybe there'd be something that they'd find useful there.

"I think that I'd like to go with Aige, actually," he said. "Anyone else coming along?"

"I like new visitors. Welcome to Obstine Abbey, friends."

Rodion gave a respectful nod. "Thank you for having us. We appreciate your hospitality."

"I think that I'd like to go with Aige, actually," he said. "Anyone else coming along?"

"I'll be heading to the guest hall first actually," Rodion answered, shaking his head. "Gonna take a moment to rest and get settled in. After that I'll probably take a walk around the monastery, before going to see this Master Akela."

Back
Top Bottom