• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

[11] Mai vs Kratos Aurion (Ref: Metallica Fanboy)

Out of random curiousity, what was the reduced accuracy of the sleep powders? And what was the chance of it impacting Lesovik?
The first one was lowered to 55% (and rolled like 93, which would have been a long shot even at normal accuracy). The second one didn't have an accuracy roll, as it was outright countered by the Silver Wind (which was given a 50% chance to blow the Sleep Powder back on Lesovik, and failed that roll).

Exactly as planned, Kaleidoscope! I don't want to say we're doing well (especially considering what happened last time), but if we stay in stable condition this round we will be. We have just about the same amount of points as Kratos, without factoring in status conditions and the like; we have 277 points and Kratos currently has 282. So yes, we are losing; however, it's not a clear progression from bad to worse so we're good. Have fun with this round, and hopefully loopholes won't be able to stop us from winning!

Fake tears are what's needed right now, and I know you're a wonderful actress; I also know that I planned not to use status-y emotional moves yet but guess what we're almost there! Now, if Lesovik does something to prevent that from working or plans to bounce it back on you or something (technically impossible except for like protect with his bare movepool, but! Both you and I know the power of using moves creatively), use growth for stat-boosting goodness. If it looks like Leshy is just not going to be quiet and is going to try to talk while you're doing your serious performance, tell him to shut the Distortion World up damn it with silver wind. Also do this if he tries to status/do something tricky and hindering to you; use it just the same as you did last round if you will. We're still avoiding statuses like the plague, though, so the silver wind is more of a dodge than an offensive counter; keep that in mind, please. Not getting statused is a big priority!

Next, hammer whoever your target is (it doesn't really matter with tinted lens) with silver wind for the last two actions. Turn that into a utility thing if status/some tricky hindering thing comes your way, please, with the same routine. If your target does something wherein your attack would be ineffective (substitutes need to be killed!) or can't hit them at all, growth again, also do that if Thorn is using bide; not if you'd get encored, though. Protect if there's a status/tricky hindering-thing you can't blow back, Lesovik uses endeavor, or Thorne uses super fang.

Also, if you're protecting against something or using silver wind to blow away status, remember to close your eyes and close up the holes in your skin as a substitute to holding your breath cover your ears! Insurance is very good, so don't just settle for the move protect.

Fake tears/Growth/Silver wind~ Silver wind/Growth/Protect

And yes. I am probably like the peptalkiest trainer ever; we can do it, team! \o/ You too, Rael, even though you haven't done much other than sit there and look adorable. I'm only now questioning whether I was doing these neverending cheers before or if they are a product of this battle.

It seems that this is/is going to be one of those battles where the advantage fluctuates wildly to who attacks last. I'm okay with that!

Hm. I could be tricky, with a bunch of conditionals and substitutes and status conditions...

...or I could just punch your bug in the face with a bird. Yes. I think I'll do that.

Yakuza, you rotate in, flying as far above Kaleidoscope as you can at the start, then fly twice; climb back up to as great a height as you can immediately after each one for maximum effect, and stay at that height until after she attacks each time if possible (so a sort of pseudo-dodge-and-attack thing). You may not be entirely able to avoid damage because she is faster than you and I'm not sure how wide-reaching the silver wind's range is (though surely it must be weaker higher above its source!), but if you can shave off even a little then it'll still help. Kaleidoscope, on the other hand, will get blasted straight to the damage cap and back with a little help from your expert belt. Tasty bugs.

Rotate in Yakuza ~ Fly ~ Fly

... I just realized I forgot to put the "x2" in my command string.

I don't have to waste the last action doing nothing, do I? I specifically stated in my write-up to do silver wind/growth/protect for the last two actions, after all.

3vs3 Rotation
DQ: 7 Days
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned Moves: Weather moves, moves requiring external resources

Round 4

Mai (OOO)
Currently out: Kaleidoscope
Illumise
Female Illumise
Ability: Tinted Lens
Item: Leftovers
Health: 87%
Energy: 75%
Condition: Snacking.
Commands: Fake Tears/Growth/Silver Wind ~ Silver Wind/Growth/Protect ~ Silver Wind/Growth/Protect

Dia: 47%H/68%E/Phasing, Encored 2A, Substitute 20%
Rael: 85%H/85%E/Stable

Kratos Aurion (OOO)
Currently out: Lesovik
Cottonee
Male Cottonee
Ability: Prankster
Item: Sun Stone
AHBE Move: Sleep Powder
Health: 48%
Energy: 64%
Status: 1- Special Defense. Safeguard is in effect (8 more actions).
Condition: Fucking pranks, when will they work?
Commands: Rotate (Yakuza) ~ Fly (Up) ~ Fly (Up)

Yakuza: 85%H/85%E/Stable
Thorn: 85%H/85%E/Stable​

Arena: Cold Storage
Driftveil City has plenty of attractions: its picturesque lighthouse, its bustling marketplace, and, most important of all to trainers, its official gym. Surely any of those would have made fine sites for a battle and a worthy introduction to Driftveil's culture.

Instead, trainers and spectators find themeselves huddled, shivering, in a glorified walk-in refrigerator.

As it turns out, it's rather expensive to rent out Nimbasa's music hall for a few crazy trainers to have their battles in. And it's even more expensive when you have to pay for repairs after a couple of those trainers smash a hole in the stage and set fire to the orchestra pit. Over budget and facing a suddenly-inflated insurance premium on whatever location it decided to rent, the league found itself too strapped for cash to secure one of Driftveil's more desirable locales.

There was no way they could simply call off the battle, though, so they made do. And, with a bit of effort, they even managed to wrangle a local into teaching their battlers a unique bit of Unovan battle-style, the rotation battle. He's a heartbreaker... His name... Charles...

In a rotation battle, each player sends out three pokémon from the get-go, though only one fights at a time. Up to once per round, at any time, a trainer may choose to "rotate" their pokémon, swapping the one in battle for one of the two in reserve. Now, though the arena manages to avoid the iciest parts of Cold Storage, the floor's a little slick, and the pokémon being rotated in will need to take an action to get its footing. The act of rotating therefore takes a full action, but is otherwise unpenalized. A pokémon that is rendered uncapable of leaving the field under its own power cannot be rotated out.

The frigid conditions of Cold Storage are going to sap a bit of the fun out of this new battle style, though. It's so freezing that all pokémon in battle will lose 5% health and energy at the end of each round, whether or not they're currently in battle. Ice types, of course, love the cold and are immune to this effect--too bad they happen to offend Charles, who can't stand their shameless aping of his aloof and distant attitude. At the end of each round, any ice type actually in battle has a 10% chance (each) of becoming taunted, tormented, confused, or paralyzed as a result of suffering through Charles' intense, furious, and yet carefree stare for the entire round.

For these battles, the first player to post will post all three pokémon that they will be using, as well as which one will start in the active position. The second will then do the same, as well as issuing commands, and the battle will proceed as normal from there.
Arena status: A portion of the ice was ripped out and sculpted into snow Sableyes.

-----​

At some point, Charles, too, tried to assemble a couple of snowmen; however, the lack of finger protection on his gloves remarkably quickly turned that effort too painfully cold even for the extremely cool. The resulting disaster also led to slipping and landing a bare chest on the stone-cold floor, to further amusing effect. Commands were still dealt in between the laughter.

Lesovik was hesitant to rotate out; he still really, really wanted to drop an actually successful prank or two. However, he knew that he couldn't hang around for too long, lest he mess up his teammate's entrance. As such, he gave way, with Yakuza taking the scene and nearly drooling as soon as he heard his trainer say "tasty bugs".

Sensing this animosity in the new arrival, Kaleidoscope began to beg for mercy. She even landed took the time to land and kneel (knee?) down, enduring the freezing floor without a shift in expression (much unlike Charles). Tears rolled down her face slowly as she pleaded not to be eaten away.

While the Honchkrow would rather imagine that he's not the kind to abandon a perfectly good snack over a hysterical broad's drama, the flawless performance moved him just fine. Of course, not that it was time to land the claim just yet; first, he had some impulse to gather.

Completely out of nonwhere, however, the Illumise started to fight back, once more whipping up a silvery gust packed with mysterious energy. Startled right out of his mind, the crow Pokémon took right off as quickly as he could, lunging all the way to the top of the refrigerator -- which wasn't terribly tall for the purpose of getting the hell away, but would have to do just fine.

What he didn't get to see from the altitude was that, after the Silver Wind attack, the firefly Pokémon's body had taken upon the slightest glittery glow. He wouldn't have imagined, of course, what that truly meant.

Having gotten away for a while, his appetite won over the dread of the attack he'd been struck with suddenly. Without much further hesitation, he swooped down, landing a bodily hit that knocked his foe right over.

With his prey on a pinning spot, Yakuza expected more of the crying he'd seen earlier. He even stopped for it. This gave Kaleidoscope a chance to whip up another Silver Wind, however, with extra sparkle.

The cornering completely lost from that mishap, the Honchkrow once again took off, soared all the way up to the ceiling, and then darted down. And just as he hit the second time, the end of the round was called.

Round 4 – End

Mai (OOO)
Illumise
Female Illumise
Health: 52%
Energy: 59%
Status: 1+ Attack, 1+ Defense, 1+ Special Attack, 1+ Special Defense, 1+ Speed.
Condition: Sparkling like a vampire on a sunny day.
Performed: Fake Tears ~ Silver Wind ~ Silver Wind

Dia: 42%H/63%E/Phasing, Encored 2A, Substitute 20%
Rael: 80%H/80%E/Stable

Kratos Aurion (OOO)
Currently out: Yakuza
Honchkrow
Male Honchkrow
Ability: Super Luck
Item: Expert Belt
Health: 59%
Energy: 76%
Status: 2- Special Defense. Safeguard is in effect (5 more actions).
Condition: Wanting him some more frightened crying, damn it.
Performed: Rotate Yakuza ~ Fly ~ Fly

Lesovik: 43%H/59%/1-SDef
Thorn: 80%H/80%E/Stable​

Arena status: A portion of the ice was ripped out and sculpted into snow Sableyes.

Additional notes:
- There's a roof to this refrigerator, you know; two sets of upwards flight would have been a little too much. Either way, one is enough to be out of range for Silver Wind.
- Silver Wind on the second action got the all-stat bonus activated.
- Fly on the third action hit past the damage cap.
- Kratos Aurion attacks first next round.

Last edited:
Wait, what? I'd meant for those to be regular uses of the attack fly. Hence why I said things like "as high as you can after each one" and why I mentioned the expert belt increasing the damage. :/

Wait, what? I'd meant for those to be regular uses of the attack fly. Hence why I said things like "as high as you can after each one" and why I mentioned the expert belt increasing the damage. :/
Ah, sorry about that.

I'll do a proper revision on that now.

EDIT: Done.

Last edited:
Shouldn't Kaleidoscope's health be a little lower due to the arena effect? (and possibly other things, not sure what sort of damage/energy everything else should have spent/taken)

Aaanyway. Why don't we borrow those boosts with a little psych up? Even if Kaleidoscope rotates out, you'll still be able to reset your special defense. If you're still near the ceiling then try to stay up there until after Kaleidoscope's action, but if that's too much to do while psyching up then just come/stay down, it's fine. Then just keep smashing stuff: drill peck followed by sky attack if Kaleidoscope is out, and snarl followed by dark pulse if Rael or Dia is out. If your target is protecting/detecting or can't be hit aside from substitute, calm mind the first time they try it (but not on the first action); if they try it a second time or if you're taunted, just try to brute force through it with whatever attack you'd normally be using.

Psych Up ~ Drill Peck/Snarl/Calm Mind ~ Sky Attack/Dark Pulse/Calm Mind

Shouldn't Kaleidoscope's health be a little lower due to the arena effect? (and possibly other things, not sure what sort of damage/energy everything else should have spent/taken)
Well, the Leftovers attenuate the overall damage slightly.

Right, but by my math I got something like 18% damage per fly (including expert belt) and another 5% off for the arena, and the leftovers would only recover 2% for an ending total of 48% or so. Unless fly did a lot less damage than that?

Right, but by my math I got something like 18% damage per fly (including expert belt) and another 5% off for the arena, and the leftovers would only recover 2% for an ending total of 48% or so. Unless fly did a lot less damage than that?
Ah, yes, the Expert Belt; I've forgotten to account for that. Having recalculated to account for that, the Fly damage actually reaches up to the damage cap. I've got that fixed up on the end of round stats now.

Sorry about all the mistakes, I guess.

Eh, it's not that big a deal. At least the battle is moving along in an enjoyable fashion (Negrek and Byrus I swear I'll finish up what I've written as soon as I get through the mafia stuff aaaa).

Damn it, Kratos. Why did your moves have to stop being easily countered by weird and fun uses of moves? Using those completely predictable moves feels like cheating.

But you know what, it doesn't even matter because I'm pretty sure this will work much better if Yakuza has those statboosts. In fact, I think it would be even better if he had our statboosts the whole rest of the round! Use encore after his amazing performance of messing with your mind and hypnotizing his (that is sooo super scary and also even more frightening than anything else he could possibly do), then roost to watch the show, and after that chill. Make sure to lay about in total awe of Yakuza's devilish psychic-dark powers! You cannot even move, you are so amazed. You are the best actress. It's you.

Also if you are too tired to use the move roost on the second action chill first and then roost the last action; if you're still too tired then just bug buzz I suppose.

Encore (wait)~ Roost/Chill~ Chill/Roost/Bug buzz

(Kaleidoscope, here's my trademark peptalk for this round: we're doing pretty well! Still losing, again, but remember that whenever we attack last we gain this huge advantage that never goes away okay because you never have enough room for all the conditionals. Also I have a plan! It's not a very concrete one, granted, but you know what it's something so. I like it and we're sticking to it for now? It's more of a loose "okay these are things I have to do and these are things I need to not do" buuut whatever. We are doing well!)

Last edited:
3vs3 Rotation
DQ: 7 Days
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned Moves: Weather moves, moves requiring external resources

Round 5

Mai (OOO)
Illumise
Female Illumise
Health: 52%
Condition: Sparkling like a vampire on a sunny day.
Commands: Encore (wait) ~ Roost/Chill ~ Chill/Roost/Bug Buzz

Dia: 42%H/63%E/Phasing, Encored 2A, Substitute 20%
Rael: 80%H/80%E/Stable

Kratos Aurion (OOO)
Honchkrow
Male Honchkrow
Health: 59%
Energy: 76%
Status: 2- Special Defense. Safeguard is in effect (5 more actions).
Condition: Wanting him some more frightened crying, damn it.
Commands: Psych Up ~ Drill Peck/Snarl/Calm Mind ~ Sky Attack/Dark Pulse/Calm Mind

Lesovik: 43%H/59%/1-SDef
Thorn: 80%H/80%E/Stable​

Arena: Cold Storage
Driftveil City has plenty of attractions: its picturesque lighthouse, its bustling marketplace, and, most important of all to trainers, its official gym. Surely any of those would have made fine sites for a battle and a worthy introduction to Driftveil's culture.

Instead, trainers and spectators find themeselves huddled, shivering, in a glorified walk-in refrigerator.

As it turns out, it's rather expensive to rent out Nimbasa's music hall for a few crazy trainers to have their battles in. And it's even more expensive when you have to pay for repairs after a couple of those trainers smash a hole in the stage and set fire to the orchestra pit. Over budget and facing a suddenly-inflated insurance premium on whatever location it decided to rent, the league found itself too strapped for cash to secure one of Driftveil's more desirable locales.

There was no way they could simply call off the battle, though, so they made do. And, with a bit of effort, they even managed to wrangle a local into teaching their battlers a unique bit of Unovan battle-style, the rotation battle. He's a heartbreaker... His name... Charles...

In a rotation battle, each player sends out three pokémon from the get-go, though only one fights at a time. Up to once per round, at any time, a trainer may choose to "rotate" their pokémon, swapping the one in battle for one of the two in reserve. Now, though the arena manages to avoid the iciest parts of Cold Storage, the floor's a little slick, and the pokémon being rotated in will need to take an action to get its footing. The act of rotating therefore takes a full action, but is otherwise unpenalized. A pokémon that is rendered uncapable of leaving the field under its own power cannot be rotated out.

The frigid conditions of Cold Storage are going to sap a bit of the fun out of this new battle style, though. It's so freezing that all pokémon in battle will lose 5% health and energy at the end of each round, whether or not they're currently in battle. Ice types, of course, love the cold and are immune to this effect--too bad they happen to offend Charles, who can't stand their shameless aping of his aloof and distant attitude. At the end of each round, any ice type actually in battle has a 10% chance (each) of becoming taunted, tormented, confused, or paralyzed as a result of suffering through Charles' intense, furious, and yet carefree stare for the entire round.

For these battles, the first player to post will post all three pokémon that they will be using, as well as which one will start in the active position. The second will then do the same, as well as issuing commands, and the battle will proceed as normal from there.

-----​

After the snowman incident, Charles closed his jacket up and vowed that it'd stay that way anytime he went into Cold Storage again. Not that he would keep this promise later, as he'd dread giving people the impression that the refrigerator is any cooler than he is. The trainers paid him no mind, and just focused on the commands.

Yakuza eyed his prey greedily. He wanted to go back to the swiping, but figured that he'd need to keep with those boosted stats if he meant to get anywhere with that. So, without further ado, he locked eyes with his foe, emitting a rebounding psychic wave as he chanted "I am the silvery sparkly shit; it's me" repeatedly. As his powers of suggestion warped the bounds of his sense of identity, he successfully managed to siphon away the slightest bit of Silver Wind energy.

When that was over, Kaleidoscope suddenly burst into applause. Like, dude, this psycho stuff is so wicked awesome! A flying predator is easy enough to deal with, but a psychic predator? Now that's beg for mercy material. If you did that again, oh, it would be totally paralyzing.

The Honchkrow would normally be doubtful of the flattery over a move as mundane and hardly noticeable as that; however, having just messed with his own psyche, he was wide open for trickery, and went right along with it. As he spent the rest of the round on the same mantra, his trainer's face and palm stood in agreement.

While it happened, the Illumise sat on the ice and pretended to be totally terrified beyond a move and cornered, all while relaxing and tending to the wounds she'd taken from the swooping blows previously.

Round 5 – End

Mai (OOO)
Illumise
Female Illumise
Health: 97%
Energy: 18%
Condition: So totally spooked, you wouldn't believe it.
Performed: Encore ~ Roost ~ Chill

Dia: 37%H/58%E/Phasing, Encored 2A, Substitute 20%
Rael: 75%H/75%E/Stable

Kratos Aurion (OOO)
Honchkrow
Male Honchkrow
Health: 54%
Status: 1+ Attack, 1+ Defense, 1+ Special Attack, 1+ Special Defense, 1+ Speed. Safeguard is in effect (2 more actions). Encored (1 more action).
Condition: I am the silvery sparkly shit; it's me
Performed: Psych Up ~ Psych Up ~ Psych Up

Lesovik: 38%H/48%/1-SDef
Thorn: 75%H/75%E/Stable​

Additional notes:
- Mai attacks first next round.

Last edited:
Doesn't safeguard have an upkeep cost? Lesovik's energy only decreased by five, which is the loss the arena demands. I don't know whether that happened before; I only noticed because I was adding up the total amount of points the teams have. (I have 360; Kratos has 352.)

Doesn't safeguard have an upkeep cost? Lesovik's energy only decreased by five, which is the loss the arena demands. I don't know whether that happened before; I only noticed because I was adding up the total amount of points the teams have. (I have 360; Kratos has 352.)
It does; it's being detracted from Yakuza's energy.

It stays up for its normal duration, and any pokémon rotate into it benefits from its effect. That does sap energy from the pokémon that rotated out as per usual.

Lesovik should still be the one losing the energy.

Sorry to keep nitpicking like this, but yeah. :/

Back
Top Bottom