• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

blazheirio889 vs. Keldeo

Fixed! :o Sorry about that. Typically I imagine surf as relatively violent (like, a little wave wouldn't really sap nearly 10% of something's health, I guess), but I suppose it couldn't move boulders, you're right.

Regardless, it's fixed, alongside several other little errors that I've just noticed.

No problem! It's my job to make sure your reffings are good :P

... oh, what errors did you notice? OTL I haven't done this ref testing thing in a while so I'm probably rather rusty, so any help in pointing out errors is appreciated.

... oh, wait, actually Dazel, it looks like you didn't change the command order this round. I'm supposed to attack first here.

If Keldeo's going to switch, so will I, I suppose. Parapluie, let's get out of here and let Palladion take the field.

Switch to Palladion

Ehhh I was hoping for some free actions, but if that's what's going to happen, just Payback.

Round three, start!
Pre-round Stats
blazheirio889 (oo)
helioptile.gif

Parapluie (♀) <Dry skin> @ sun-stone
Health: 92%
Energy: 82%
Status: Panting, but full of energy yet. // Surf encored for two more actions.
Commands: Surf

Keldeo (oo)
axew.gif

Robin (♀) <Mold breaker> @ lucky-egg
Health: 94%
Energy: 100%
Commands: None.
emolgaRhyme (♀) <Static> @ life-orb
Health: 80%
Energy: 85%
Commands: U-turn

Before Keldeo could bark out another command to a very energetic Robin, and even before Parapluie could blast the competition with another wave of masterfully manipulated water, blazheirio withdrew her yellow partner without a word. The helioptile's face was briefly stricken with horror — No more surfs? How could anyone be so cruel? — before she dematerialised into red plasma and was sucked back into her capsule, rocking slightly in protest before succumbing to the pleasing environment of her home poké ball.

Taking her place on the field was a pokémon of different composiion altogether. Superficially resembling a sword, the honedge's steely gaze drifted over the entire field in a matter of moments. Palladion's blue ribbon waved gently in a wind that couldn't be felt, and his blade was still hiding within its sheath. Encrusted in this silver sword-coat was an iridescent gem, which to an unlearnt spectator might appear to be a opal of sorts, but this "gem" was in fact an egg, and its youth was lending itself to Palladion for the time.

Robin stared her opponent down. Such a just foe was surely weak against evil itself. Robin allowed her body to briefly become consumed by malice, which released itself in the form of an intermittently crackling black aura, enveloping the dragon's green hands. Before Palladion could react, Robin lashed out and cleared half the field in a single jump, landing on the honedge and knocking him down onto the ground, then furiously swiping at him with flaming claws. At length Robin was satisfied and jumped back, allowing the dark power to fizzle out, the aftermath leaving both sides of the struggle panting.

Post-round stats
blazheirio889 (oo)
honedge.gif

Palladion (♂) <No guard> @ lucky-egg
Health: 85%
Status: Fervently rubbing the scratch on his blade with his ribbon.
helioptileParapluie (♀) <Dry skin> @ sun-stone
Commands: Withdraw

Keldeo (oo)
axew.gif

Energy: 94%

Arena Status
  • The field has dried a little bit, and the pool is now about halfway full.

Notes
  • Keldeo actually orders first, this round.
Parapluie is switched for Palladion.
Robin uses payback (dmg: 10 * 1.5 = 15)(enrgy:6).
End of round three:
Palladion: energy (100%), health (85%).
Parapluie: energy (82%), health (92%).
Robin: energy (97%), health (94%).
Rhyme: energy (85%), health (80%).

Last edited:
Hmm, the flavour for Payback is a bit odd. It's supposed to be a physical contact attack, so I wouldn't expect it to take the form of a beam.

Payback's damage looks fine, but it looks like you forgot to account for the boosted BP when calculating energy.

I don't have any bright ideas, so just make a medium substitute then delayed Payback twice. If he has clones or Reflect up, or he's using Fury Cutter, spread out an Incinerate to keep him off you, and if he's unhittable for any reason except Substitute or Double Team, Swords Dance. Rhyme might have a better matchup but I don't want this to turn into a switch war.

Substitute ~ Payback (wait) / Incinerate / Swords Dance x2

I didn't really want to turn it into a switch war, either, but another two actions of Surf is incredibly boring and unchallenging to ref :P

Right, Palladion, I kind of regret sending you out because I forgot steel doesn't resist dark anymore, but! We can work with this. Set up a Reflect to soften those Paybacks up a bit, then beef yourself up with Iron Defense. End with a Shadow Claw.

Reflect ~ Iron Defense ~ Shadow Claw

Round four, start!
Pre-round Stats
blazheirio889 (oo)
honedge.gif

Health: 85%
Status: Fervently rubbing the scratch on his blade with his ribbon.
Commands: Withdraw

Keldeo (oo)
axew.gif

Energy: 94%

Using a technique she had seen Rhyme use just earlier, Robin shaped the soggy astroturf into a large mound about her size, then grasped it firmly with her small hand. It flickered for just a moment before transforming into a likeness of Robin herself; Robin sagged visibly as a result, transferring her energy into the automaton. Rather than the poorly-made mannequin Rhyme had fashioned, Robin's doppelgänger was almost a perfect likeness, with a steadily moving chest and even the twitchy mannerisms that Robin sometimes exhibited. Pleased, Robin stepped behind it and let it do the work.

Unsure of how to respond to the event, Palladion responded by waving his blade in a sort of a dance, leaving behind a golden streak. This golden streak gradually grew in size and solidity, until it became a large orb of golden matter. It jiggled slightly for but a moment before exploding, spreading itself thin to create a moderately-sized dome around Palladion's side of the field. It wiggled slightly once more, and served an obvious purpose; to keep attackers out.

Unfortunately for Palladion, Robin was a bit too intuitive to charge headlong into the golden forcefield. Instead, he stoked the flame within and released it with an adorable roar, causing a small pillar of intense flame to rise within the golden bubble. It licked Palladion's sides, causing him to drop to the ground with a clank and squirm uncomfortably until it dissipated. At length he stood again, teal ribbon blackened and curled at the edges.

Steel dripped down Palladion's sides now, melted from the powerful fire attack. It collected in a pool beneath him, and he stared at it, outraged. The very vessel of his soul, liquified! Unable to stand for such injustice, Palladion willed the steel to reattach itself to his body threefold, making him sharper and thicker than ever before. Pleased, he smirked at Robin from behind his golden bubble.

But Robin was too busy to notice the taunt. Satsified by his most recent attack, Robin tried it again, causing the pillars of flame to erupt all around Palladion. The honedge saw what was coming quickly and screamed in anguish, but it was unavoidable; small columns of fire were all around him, their wrath inescapable. Fortunately for Palladion, the thick metal he'd adopted prevented him from melting again, but that wasn't to say the heat didn't affect him significantly.

Now Palladion had certainly had enough, and was unable to sit by and watch as a certain dragon burnt him up. Fueled by unbridled rage and perhaps a hint of insecurity, Palladion's blade was cloaked in a black flame as he made a mad dash for the axe dragon. Before the axew could jump out of the way, Palladion made a mighty swipe, cutting Robin in the thigh firmly. The axew cried out in pain, shadow seeping into his open wound. Palladion quickly retreated to his bubble of safety, and Robin fell to one knee, wiping away a sole tear.

...Or so it seemed. Though the illusion certainly had Palladion fooled, Robin was hiding behind her copy, chuckling.

Post-round Stats
blazheirio889 (oo)
honedge.gif

Health: 67%
Energy: 90%
Status: Feeling quite safe behind his golde dome. // Defence +2, reflect for one more round.
Commands: Reflect ~ iron defence ~ shadow claw

Keldeo (oo)
axew.gif

Health: 79%
Energy: 83%
Commands: Substitute ~ incinerate ~ incinerate
Substitute: 7%

Arena Status
  • The arena is beginning to dry.
  • Blazheirio's side of the field is enveloped by a large, golden bubble for the next round.
  • The pool is mostly full by now.
Notes
  • Blazheirio889 orders first next round.

Beginning of round three:
Palladion: energy (100%), health (85%).
Robin: energy (97%), health (94%).

Action one:
Robin makes a medium substitute (15%), for 15% recoil and 8% energy.
Palladion creates a reflect wall for 2% initial energy. Reflect counter is down to five.
End of action one:
Palladion: energy (98%), health (85%).
Robin: energy (86%), health (79%).

Action two:
Robin uses incinerate for 9% damage and 3% energy. Rolled 9/10, no critical hit.
Palladion uses iron defence for 2% energy. Palladion maintains the reflect for 1% energy. Reflect counter is down to four.
End of action two:
Palladion: energy (95%), health (76%). +2 Defence.
Robin: energy (83%), health (79%).

Action three:
Robin uses incinerate for 9% damage and 3% energy. Rolled 5/10, no critical hit.
Palladion uses shadow claw for 8% damage and 4% energy. Palladion maintains the reflect for 1% energy. Reflect counter is down to three. Rolled 1/5, no critical hit.
End of round four:
Palladion: energy (90%), health (67%). +2 Defence.
Robin: energy (83%), health (79%).
Subsitute: 7%

Last edited:
Palladian seems to have taken less damage than he was supposed to. According to your calculations it seems he jumped up to 92% health for some reason, so that's likely the culprit.

Since Shadow Claw has a secondary effect (increased crit rate), it should cost an extra 1% energy. A lot of moves that have inherent non-chance secondary effects don't reflect this, so you'll have to keep that in mind if you lift energy costs from the db.

It'd be easiest if you rolled for things with a 100 sided die. As it stands now, I think you need a 1/16 to get a crit? That doesn't match up with the crit rates in ASB, since we've tweaked them from the game values.

Finally, since there's nothing going on with the resting Pokemon, you don't need to include them in the calculations section.

Your prose is quite good, and I have no complaints about it. Keep it up c: What you need to work on now is double checking your work, I think. You seem to have a decent grip on calculations but you keep making small errors that could be prevented by proofreading, or ASB-specific errors that could be fixed by searching the relevant threads and/or asking questions.

All right, everything should be fixed right up! I... honestly have no explanation for the health thing, I even did double-check it and apparently it evaded me. I'll be sure to be a bit more diligent for things like that in the future.

So I totally forgot that Incinerate's BP was boosted, and I didn't read Keldeo's commands properly before commanding myself. A+, Blazhy.

That's okay, we can work with this. Finish that Substitute off with another Shadow Claw, then Flash Cannon twice. If there are clones on the second or third actions, spread out your attack or sweep it around.

If Robin tries to Incinerate you again, Spite it. And if you can't attack Robin or her Substitute (if there is one) for whatever reason, pump yourself up with Swords Dance. Simple stuff!

Shadow Claw/Spite/Swords Dance ~ Flash Cannon/Spite/Swords Dance x2

You're doing great, Robin! On the first action, let him move first and use Taunt, and follow that up with two Incinerates for solid damage.

Taunt (wait) ~ Incinerate ~ Incinerate

...Well. There seems to be a bit of a discrepancy here. It may be possible for another mod to come in and take blazheirio's place where she left off once this is all over, or I may have to start over again— obviously either way is fine. For now, since there are commands anyway, I'll go ahead and post this reffing just to be done with it until some sort of solution presents itself, I suppose.
Round five, start!
Pre-round stats
blazheirio889 (oo)
honedge.gif

Health: 67%
Energy: 90%
Status: Feeling quite safe behind his golde dome. // Defence +2, reflect for one more round.
Commands: Reflect ~ iron defence ~ shadow claw

Keldeo (oo)
axew.gif

Health: 79%
Energy: 83%
Commands: Substitute ~ incinerate ~ incinerate
Substitute: 7%
Palladion growled from behind his golden bubble. Perhaps it was his fatigue, or maybe the gradual weakening of his reflect; perhaps, even, it was his ostensible disadvantage at the hands of a dragon. Whatever the reason, Palladion was out for blood. Robin began to scurry as she saw the spectral blade rushing at her speedily, but it was not enough. With a slice of steel and shadow, Robin screamed out and fell on her stomach, wheezing.

Robin turned on her back and scuttled backward as Palladion loomed over her menacingly, fear alight in her eyes. Then, for a brief moment, all was clear— she knew just what she had to do. Her shaking stopped, and her breathing became steady. Robin began releasing a series of draconic squeaks that only she could understand; though, judging by Palladion's changing expression, the language was probably understandable to honedge as well. First a look of surprise covered the blade's face, and then one of utter rage.

Palladion loosed a steely roar, and Robin took advantage of the moment to leap back to her feet and will several columns of red flame to erupt from the ground, thoroughly scorching Palladion's thick steel. Palladion howled in anguish, but was powerless to the flame's gentle but consistent roast.

When at last the flames seem to die, Palladion let fly a beam of silver. It hit its mark true, causing Robin to cough suddenly, eyes widening as the shaft punctured her chest directly. She didn't fall, however, and caused the pillars of flames to burn anew. Palladion screamed once more, though really he was beginning to grow numb to the pain of fire. He pushed through the discomfort and fired another beam, this one only grazing Axew's side through the flames. It still hurt considerably, though, and Axew sputtered, letting the flames peter out softly.

The two stared at each other for a moment, bruised and battered, neither willing to make the next move first. Then the golden dome behind them flickered and then fizzled out entirely with a peculiar humming sound; in his rage, Palladion had lost his grip on it, and it dissipated.

The opponents stood, scowling, waiting for the other to attack so they could strike back threefold.
Post-round stats
blazheirio889 (oo)
honedge.gif

Health: 49%
Energy: 78%
Status: Oh, I'll show her... // Defence +2, taunted for two more actions.
Commands: Shadow claw ~ flash cannon ~ flash cannon

Keldeo (oo)
axew.gif

Health: 59%
Energy: 73%
Commands: Taunt ~ incinerate ~ incinerate
Arena Status
  • The arena has mostly dried by now.
  • There is still a pile of rocks on Keldeo's side of the field.
Notes
  • Keldeo orders first.
  • I'm... not really sure what happens now?
Beginning of round five:
Palladion: energy (90%), health (67%). +2 Defence.
Robin: energy (83%), health (79%). {Subsitute: 7%}

Palladion uses shadow claw for 8% damage and 4% energy. Palladion maintains the reflect for 1% energy. Reflect counter is down to two. Rolled 2/5, no critical hit.
Robin uses taunt for 4% energy.
End of action one:
Palladion: energy (85%), health (67%). +2 Defence. {Taunt: 5} {Reflect: 2}
Robin: energy (79%), health (79%).

Robin uses incinerate for 9% damage and 3% energy. Rolled 7/10, no critical hit.
Palladion uses flash cannon for 10% damage and 3% energy. Rolled 9/10, no critical hit, rolled 5/10, no defence drop. Palladion maintains the reflect counter for 1% energy. Reflect counter is down to one.
End of action two:
Palladion: energy (81%), health (58%). +2 Defence. {Taunt: 4} {Reflect: 1}
Robin: energy (76%), health (69%).

Robin uses incinerate for 9% damage and 3% energy. Rolled 3/10, no critical hit.
Palladion uses flash cannon for 10% damage and 3% energy. Rolled 1/10, no critical hit, rolled 3/10, no defence drop. Reflect fades.
End of round five:
Palladion: energy (78%), health (49%). +2 Defence. {Taunt: 2}
Robin: energy (73%), health (59%).

Oh. Um. Iiiii think I win by ban-DQ? I'm not sure, though. Anyway, about the reffing, a few errors: Taunt lasts for three actions, and a Taunted Pokemon doesn't default to their offensive command (Palladion should have tried to use Spite, since Robin used Incinerate, so he should have struggled on the last two actions).

Last edited:
Just do a normal DQ when the appropriate period passes. Rather than a procedure specifically for bans, it's easily covered by normal things for being AWOL. So when blazhy's turn comes and goes normally you treat it normally when she doesn't post in time.

If she does get DQ'd without anyone taking her place or whatever, you'll just start a new test battle when another ref is willing to take you.

Alright, I'll issue commands then, since I'm ordering first.

Spam Incinerate I guess. If there are clones up, spread it around. If that's spited and there aren't clones, switch to delayed Payback. If she's unhittable for any reason except Double Team and substitute, give yourself a Dragon Dance.

Incinerate / Payback (wait) / Dragon Dance x3

Well, blazhy gets the ban DQ, unfortunately, so Keldeo gets the win and is slated to sit at the top of the leaderboards for the rest of eternity.
  • Blazheirio gets nothing.
  • Keldeo gets $20.
  • I get $15.
  • Robin gets 2 experience and 1 happiness.
  • Rhyme gets 1 experience and 1 happiness.
  • Parapluie and Palladion get 1 experience and 1 happiness each.

Back
Top Bottom