• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Bynine's Gallery of Devamptitude

BynineB

WII WOULD LIKE TO DIE.
20ssqdy.png

2dhgund.png

2v3h35g.png

2mhdbg6.png

C&C pleeeeeeeeeeeez :D

Last edited:
Wow these are really good devamps! My only crit is that for the Glaceon and Yanmega need just a little more dithering

The Yanmega looks okay to me, except for too much black outlines, IMO.

The first thing I noticed was the outlines of the Weavile. They look somewhat blocky and square, and lacks in colour. Try putting some pixels of the dark blue/gray on the edges. Maybe even try with the purple.

The Lickylicky is too much dithered. Sure, GSC is known to have a lot of dithering, but only when it's needed. You don't need to dither so much when you already have two shades of pink that are very similar to eachother. Why blend them in more?

The pokemon in the upper left (whatsitcalled I don't remember those 4th gen names) is too round, in my opinion. RBY sprites were the deformed ones, they fixed that in GSC. That thing looks more like a chubby, small version of what it's supposed to be.

Other than the outlines and the dithering, they look great, I love 'em ('specially the feraligatr). :) They're nicely done and could very well fit into the games :D

Yanmega doesn't have any colours to use for the outline... Unless I put in a red outline on the green, which wouldn't really work. Same case with Weavile; If I coloured in the outline it would be the same colour or lighter than the skin of the Weavile which would not look good.

I kinda see what you mean on the Lickilicky, but... a darker shade of red would make the shading too dark. I wanted to make it more gradual.

Rhyperior needs to be round, the size limit is so small ;3; Can't fix that.

I'm glad you like them!

Oh don't say that. I checked, and there are GSC sprites that have contrasting colours on outlines. Most noticeable would be Seaking, with light blue and orange as main colours. The fins have lots of red dots that don't necessary look good, but is more GSC-like. Same thing with Omanyte, except the colours aren't that contrasting, but still..

So you could either go with keeping the sprite looking good, or making it as GSC-like as possible :).

I actually meant putting dark blue outlines on the purple fan-thing on Weavile's head, but try out purple outlines anyways, can't hurt ;o

And if you want it gradual then I can't stop you.. Your sprite, your choices, although I don't see why ._.

Size limits don't stop me from spriting :P

Trust me, I've tried it, it just don't work.

Well if it wasn't gradual then it would look bad D:

Size limits kinda do when it comes to devamps.

2dhgund.png

Revamps some of my ancient sprites.

That... is awesome.
The colors on the first blend in a bit better, but I can't see any shading on the brown of the shell. Maybe it's because I don't take the sprite, paste it in MS Paint and zoom in.

Wow these are really good devamps! My only crit is that for the Glaceon and Yanmega need just a little more dithering

Hmmm, more dithering. That's usually something one would avoid. XD

Now as for the Devamps...Pidgey looks like a bit more definition on the feathers on its head. They're just not standing out very much. And Igglybuff's eyes would look better if they were aligned properly. I'm sure the "off-kilter" look was what you were going for in the quest to crappify the sprites (And I mean that in the awesome 1st-and-2nd-gen style way) but it just doesn't look right to me.

They're still really good, so I'd like to see more.

Igglybuff's off kilter eyes are the same as Jigglypuff's and Wigglytuff's back then, so that's why I made them like that.

The feathers on Pidgey's head are as defined as they can get, what're you talkin' bout D:

2v3h35g.png

Parasect, Venasaur, Marowak, and Tentacruel all went into this magnificent beast.

Okay, I see what you were going for with Igglybuff. It just seemed odd considering I actually do more looking at Devamps than at the official sprites. XD And as fo Pidgey, I mean maybe just extending the length so they're a bit more visible. That retro-fusion is great. It's much harder to find C+C to give for these things, seeing as even though it sort of is CP, it doesn't look it due to the retro style. Great job.

Well, you know you'd be screwed if you found it in the ocean. XD Looks cool though. The eye seems a little too close to the mouth, in my opinion. Also, those jagged parts in the fins seem to go too far in. If his fin were like that on a real shark, it would be very flimsy. And I know you were trying hard to get it to fit into the 80x80 limit, but his tail is very small and doesn't look like it's in proper perspective. Still, a great Fakemon and these were mostly nitpicks, so you did a good job.

The eye is very close to the mouth because it is based on the basking shark (except for the whole carnivorous bit, obviously.) I suppose you're right about the jagged fins, but this is Pokemon and therefore can't be meant to be realistic... Also Blitzkraw is slower than Sharpedo, so it kind of makes sense. The tail is small because Sharpedo has no tail, and as such it is logical to be proportionally rather teeny. I'm glad you like it, though! Thanks very much for commenting on all of my works, I very much appreciate it.

Oh, okay. I guess I didn't make the connection to a basking shark because it was carnivorous, but I see what you mean now. And I guess I'm just so used to realistically over-shading my sprites that seeing a four-shaded (Maybe three; can't really tell) looks rather flat to me. But it's still a good sprite, so it doesn't matter anyway. And I'll be happy to give C+C on anything else you make. Even if I'm the only one who's been doing it since the 29th of April. XD

Cherrim evo? Cool. A bit much black in the outlines, but that almost makes it look as though it's a DPPt or HGSS sprite. And if it's meant to be a Fakemon, it should really be facing more towards our left rather than almost directly at us. Still, a great sprite. Is it another 100% scratch?

Back
Top Bottom