• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Doctor Who Club

So I've started watching Doctor Who and have finished the first season. Anyone able to explain why the Doctor can't go back in time to have more time to do something, such as go back in time to see the queen of France before she dies in that episode with the clock robots? I know it mentioned something about being stuck in a timeline once the Tardis lands, but without further explanation this is quite bothersome.

So I've started watching Doctor Who and have finished the first season. Anyone able to explain why the Doctor can't go back in time to have more time to do something, such as go back in time to see the queen of France before she dies in that episode with the clock robots? I know it mentioned something about being stuck in a timeline once the Tardis lands, but without further explanation this is quite bothersome.

Established events. Once he's met with people in a timeline, he becomes part of that timeline, and going to a point before that would change the timeline.

Or wibbly wobbly timey wimey ball. Whichever you prefer.

I was not all that overly impressed with the most recent episode! The idea was interesting and I liked the acting but we didn't find out who/what the dolls and the kid where until like ten minuted before the end, which kind of threw off the pacing for me. :/ That's probably not good in an hour-long program, I think.

Although the dolls creeped me out to no end. Also, 'We've died! Again!' :D The floor eating the landlord was a really good effect, my favorite in the episode.

Ok... I guess I'll accept that. But how does saving the world constitute allowing time travel again? We've seen that he can visit the same place at the same time twice in the episode where Rose tries to save her dad from dying.

But then, I guess that episode contains some of the answers. When the doctor and Rose's past self see their future self, the past selves vanish and it opens some kind of rift in time and space. But without a doubt, the doctor's actions in the past affect the future he has already visited, so there is still an inconsistency if we say it is physically imposible for the doctor to do something that would affect his past self who happens to be in the future.

Not really important, but Madame du Pompadour was the king's mistress, not his queen.

I liked the new Torchwood and Doctor Who.

Does anyone have any idea what the fuck the chasm thing is, or is that completely new?

I liked the latest episode, mainly because those dolls were deliciously creepy. My favorite part of the whole episode was the bit where Rory says "We've died! Again!"

In regards to the Doctor not going back in time to a place he's been already to give him more time, it isn't a physical impossibility so much as a thing that would just be really, really bad. It's like how there are fixed points in time that cannot be altered. It's not that it is impossible to alter them, it would just, like, rip a hole in the universe or something.

Okay, here's how I think time works: it's a ball of string.

A big ball of probably pear-shaped string and the TARDIS jumps around the string, creating its own trail.

Every event is a length of string. Time-travellers cut that string and tie a new replacement string to continue that timeline. Once they leave the timeline, the new string is tied back to whatever event it causes and the timeline continues, new strings of events being created and tied to it. For example:

(normal timeline)
Hitler in office chair----------Hitler in office chair, still.

(Doctor's timeline)
Hitler in office chair-----Doctor interferes-------Hitler in cupboard
-----Hitler in office chair, still

The string that contained Hitler still being in the office chair is now forgotten, null and void. If he were supposed to send out papers that day, that event will be gone too because the new timestring says he's in the cupboard.

Which leads us to established events. Established events are lengths of string that have too many strings attached to it. If it were to be cut off (basically tampered with), so many events would vanish and there will literally be a hole in time.

Also, here's how the TARDIS travels in the analogy: it jumps around the skin of the time ball, and inside the ball is space. The universe. Basically, the TARDIS jumps to a timestring (2011), enters normal space, then travels to Utah.

That's also how they managed to get to that parallel universe: the TARDIS got too far away from its usual ball of time, crashed to some random time, and redirected itself to London.

It's like a big ball of... wibbly-wobbly... timey-wimey... stuff.

The ball of strings explanation makes sense to me!

It's actually a great way of thinking it. Congrats. You just used a ball of string to explain reality, what are you going to do next?

Tvtropes has been using the string analogy for a while :P

timeywimeyball5_9743.jpg

Just watched the Torchwood finale.
And HOLY CRAP.
Asspull aside, that was incredibly awesome
ESTER WHYYYYYY
And now Rex is immortal too? Cool. I kind of guessed it the moment he jumped up and threw the guy over the edge, and I was convinced when he was alive for the funeral.
This has definitely been the best season so far, which is pretty awesome considering Doctor Who is also having its best season so far.

TORCHWOOD WAS AMAZING!

It sad about Esther... I just noticed her last name.

Mention of the Doctor ftw. Also with Rex the multiple "whats' I came to love from RTD.

And possibility of more Torchwood is win.

I wanted to kill Charlotte myself, and Oswald was pretty creepy/cool in the end.

Thanks for that. Makes a lot more sense now.

Just finished season 2. I was scared the idiot Donna was going to be the new girl

Also, didn't know there were other shows linked to Doctor Who. Is Torchwood any good?

Just finished season 2. I was scared the idiot Donna was going to be the new girl

LIES Donna becomes one of the MOST IMPORTANT characters. And it's hardly spoilers... That season is pretty old. But seriously Donna is amazing she is the companion after Martha.

Also, didn't know there were other shows linked to Doctor Who. Is Torchwood any good?

Torchwood is amazing, you need to watch it from the beginning. It's all on Netflix. But Children of the Earth, and the new season, Miracle Day, are where Torchwood shine..

Can't forget about the Sarah Jane Adventures... Dannichu will surely rant about that for you.

We don't talk about K9 and Company....

Back
Top Bottom