• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Sojaveña Wilds Escarpa Clan Camp

Lluvia seemed to glaze over as Gladion talked about souls and matches, then blinked at the word billions. Were there even billions of sapient pokémon in Forlas? Would one have a conception of that? Either way, she didn't carry his speculation on in conversation. The Zangoose had things to do.

The inside of the tent wasn't bare earth or grass, but laid out with woven rugs atop reed mats. With no beds or visible personal belongings, this was likely not the chieftain's personal quarters. Rather, from the arrangement of seating areas encircling the fireplace, and stacks of bowls and ceramic cups to one side, this was more probably a dedicated meetingplace. Of particular note, a map of Sojavena hung from the tent roof, flush with one wall.

Sat on her haunches, gazing evenly at each Wayfarer as they entered, was a Luxray that could only be Sierra Escarpa. She wore no special signifier of her rank – only small ringed ear piercings and a thread anklet – but to any eye she looked strong, stronger than the ordinary warriors in the camp. Her bicolour fur was paler than most 'mon of the Shinx line – earthy brown over electric blue – her build lankier, her tail much shorter. A regional variant, evidently. Golden eyes regarded the Wayfarers with patient confidence.

"Welcome," she said, her voice tinged with a bassy growl. She indicated with a paw that her visitors could be seated. "I am Sierra, chief of the clan. I'm told you are fom other worlds, come to save this one. I've heard plenty about you already, and you are not the first human saviours I've known, but know that in agreeing to speak with you, I have... put my assumptions aside."

Saying this, she swept her paw across the floor, and blinked slowly.

"I helped uphold peace between my clan and the Commonwealth settlers for many years. I have claimed leadership of my clan by right of strength, and I have sworn to protect the people of the Soja'. When the month of Charge begins, I intend to lead Escarpa warriors in battle against the Shadow pokémon of Blaguarro, and hunt whoever is responsible for their existence. Whether this harms or angers the Commonwealth is not my concern."

The Luxray nodded her head towards the Wayfarers, and pricked her ears.

"Who speaks for you? What do you have to tell me – or ask of me?"

Ghaspius's floating slowed as the Wayfarers entered the tent. A touch of nostalgia brushed his lips as the scent of old fibers and light smoke crossed his features.

"Ghaspius of the Sun," he introduced himself by his tribe's name hoping it would relax the room a bit, "Not the spokesmon, but here to show somethin'."

Actions over words was the name of the game, so he'd start off with some foundational evidence. "Our group locked away the Mayor of Frontier Town," he said, pulling out Issue 176 of the Frontier Gazette from his bag. "Not expecting y'all to read the whole wordy thing; just wanting to show we're not blowing hot air 'fore we talk."

Of course, the airhead showing the newspaper completely forgot it was one of their own that wrote the paper. Not biased at all.

He nodded to the others to give them the floor to speak.

"Who speaks for you? What do you have to tell me – or ask of me?"

That was... a good question. The Wayfarers didn't really have a 'leader' exactly... unless one counted Betel, being the one responsible for bringing them all here. Would that look bad? Perhaps they should have chosen a speaker before the meeting... too late now.

Still, someone had to talk. Kimiko waited for Sierra to peek at the newspaper offered by Ghaspius before speaking up herself; not the topic she would have lead with, but perhaps offering some proof of their credibility would count for something, anyway. Even if one of their own did write the article, it was still a fact that Voclain was out of a job because of them.

"My name's Kimiko," she said, standing tall (tall as her tiny form could, anyway). "Forgive me, our group doesn't have a singular leader, and I don't presume to speak for us all in regards to the reasons for our visit. There are several topics we wish to discuss, the attack on the shadows being one of them. But... I'd like to address a more personal matter, first." She gestured to the earring Jade held. "We have reason to believe your daughter may be in danger."

So far, so good. Mhynt remained as a discrete member of the group just to the side, watching Sierra closely for telltale signs of irritation or unease. She tried to find a baseline to operate from for now and assumed that, at the moment, she was tense or cautious, at least mildly.

"Of the Sun?" Sierra remarked, as Ghaspius opened the dialogue. Perhaps she thought he'd joined the Wardens of Sunward.

She skimmed the article, her face not giving much away. Except, perhaps, for a flicker of satisfaction.

"I have dreamed of such a thing. And the townsfolk were pleased with you for this? Hmm. That is bold, at least. May he see the inside of a prison, if not the view from the hangman's stage."

She handed back the paper in one massive paw, and turned to Kimiko.

"We'll discuss several topics, then. I had heard one of your number has met with Brisa, and that does look like Escarpa craft. She wore something like that when I last saw her, nearly a year ago. Where and how did this meeting happen? Tell me of this danger."

Sierra didn't seem particularly worried at the notion, but her interest was obvious. Was it that her relationship with Brisa was a cool one, or did she just have that much confidence in her daughter that she didn't fear for her? Or else, just that the chieftain maintained an especially stoic character...

"Of the Sun Tribe — back in my world of Crason," Ghaspius clarified with a smile as Sierra seemed to at the very least approval of their recent actions. "Formerly a Mismagius alchemist." He bit the bottom of his lip as he tried not to add any further extraneous details. He was already blabbing too many details irrelevant to them, in his mind. He'll let the others explain the Brisa situation.

"We'll discuss several topics, then. I had heard one of your number has met with Brisa, and that does look like Escarpa craft. She wore something like that when I last saw her, nearly a year ago. Where and how did this meeting happen? Tell me of this danger."

Jade fought to keep her eyes from sliding away under the Luxray's intense gaze. "I... we ran into each other out east, in the city. It was right after I got to Forlas. We were being tailed by these shady guys, and she sent me ahead to Frontier Town while she stayed behind to lead them off." Almost immediately Jade could imagine the judgement that'd follow--she'd pretty much outright said that she'd been too weak to stick with Brisa.

After a few moments, something Sierra had said jumped out at her. "A year ago--was that when she left Frontier Town? She said she was looking for someone, but I never got to learn who."

Sierra's eyes shifted as she considered this news. "Yes. We spoke briefly before she set out on a journey with one companion, a human. She did not ask for help, but only wanted me to know where she was going – to find her father, or what became of him. I wished her the best. By chance, this is close to the time I might have expected some word from her."

The Luxray's tone of voice was impressively neutral for someone discussing her missing daughter and long-vanished partner.

"These shady guys," she echoed, the words sounding strange from her mouth, "do you know who they were? Their species?"

She barked something in what sounded like feral pokéspeech that took a moment for Betel to translate. "Halcón, listen in!"

So Brisa had talked with her mom before leaving. Only... Sierra didn't seem too worried about her being gone for a year. Then again, she'd gotten the impression that Brisa was an adult, so... maybe that was just how it was.

"The leader, he was... well, I never got a good look at him, but he used water-type moves. Thin, agile... oh, he had a bunch of Croagunk with him... maybe a frog Pokemon?" There was that one from Kalos that she couldn't remember the name of.

Jade paused, tapping her paws together, her eyes wandering the walls of the tent, and its ornate patterns. "So, that human she was with... we were told that was the human hero who got called here before us. And that there's usually just one, but we all came in a group because our summoner is sorta new to this whole thing."

An abrupt yowl from Halcón indicated he'd heard Jade's description. Very likely, he would now go tell other warriors who they were to look out for. Sierra listened to Jade's elaboration with interest.

"A new summoner... Not hers, then." She shook her head. "My gut tells me you're here in her wake, especially if your summoner presented things that way to you. Do you know anything much about her? ...No, from your face I see that you don't. You should know whose pawprints you're treading in. She was a species unfamiliar to the Soja', a fire-cat, black and red."

The Luxray moved her paw in a figurative way, seeming to outline the small, wiry body of the species she was describing. She made a sour face, brows set against some infuriating enemy, as if she were imitating an expression she remembered.

"She had a warrior's spirit, and great potential, but spoke of herself as if she were her own enemy. She could not recall her past – just as Jesse lost his memories to come to Forlas – but she was once human, and a trainer of pokémon. Her name was Starr."

Star... Jade closed her eyes for a moment, smiling internally. She couldn't help imagining if the Starr she knew were here. Actually, she probably would've hated it.

In any case, this explained a few things--Brisa must've been looking for Jesse when Jade had run into her. Although, she'd been alone...

"She didn't have anyone with her when we met," Jade went on, mostly just thinking aloud. "Never saw a firecat with her. But she was able to land some pretty good hits on the water-type chasing us, so... I figured she probably managed to take him." Or at least, she kept telling herself that. But then why hadn't Brisa showed up in Frontier Town yet? Had she gone back to searching for Jesse? Or for Star?

She shook her head. "Er, sorry. Didn't mean to distract from the reason we're here."

“A Litten, I’d guess? They’re often partners with trainers where I come from, so that would make sense for one a human trainer’s soul would have a strong connection to. Would probably serve as a tell to anyone looking to poach offworlders, but I’m hardly one to talk there…”

Gladion took a deep breath. He was worried things would get worse if he brought it up, but they would have to talk about it and the anticipation was killing him just as much.

“Which. Uhh. I guess that circles around the railroad. That group’s using it to get around, so we’d not exactly miss it either. But, well, as much as destroying it would’ve been the only way to get anything done under the old administration, with Ignatius gone the acting mayor’s willing to suspend it. It won’t be a permanent solution, since he’s not running for election, but it’ll buy time to operate with less risk of collateral to civilians, and things’ll probably work out better if Frontier Town can choose a leader without the election cycle being dominated by the subject of infrastructure destruction and/or conflict with you.”

"Which also helps with us puttin' a good word for y'all, or at least helpin' nudge that election to a leader that's not so landgrab-happy," Ghaspius chimed in as he swayed from side-to-side. "Not a permanent solution to that mind ya, but it'll give us all time to focus on the shadows."

He resisted the temptation to flip upside down. Instead, he lifted his head a bit in a show of confidence. "Speakin' of shadows, I think we ought to have an exchange of information on 'em. Had a few encounters ourselves and found some interestin' details. Not just 'bout where, but also a bit about what, if that's somethin' y'all wanted to be privy to."

"Brisa is singularly strong. This enemy would have to be divinely so in order to best her at a disadvantage."

Sierra certainly was confident in Brisa's abilities. But she'd been tired, ill-equipped, and outnumbered...

She turned to Gladion, then Ghaspius, and heard them out with a curious expression.

"We can foresee the weather. We can foresee the lines of battle. We can't foresee town politics."

Spoken like someone with practical experience. Sierra had been one of the town's rangers for a few years, hadn't she...?

"The acting mayor can do as he wishes, but he cannot prevent trains coming in and out of Black Water along the eastern line. He does not even have the authority to physically prevent departures from Blaguarro if the Shadow-makers seize the station to make an escape. All of this, in any case, will not matter either way – the operation is already under way. I sent warriors to destroy the rail bridge over the Silver more than an hour ago."

Last edited:
To this, Mhynt narrowed her eyes thoughtfully. She had a feeling that this would cause some outrage. She tried to get a word in first so it didn't become explosive. Sierra seemed to not respond well to that, if she had a good read on her...

"We want to know the full context behind that," Mhynt said. "What about the people who rely on those rails for their safety and livelihood? Have they been evacuated or warned to leave? And the demons, as well, and whoever is running that operation is still a concern regardless of if they are cut off.

"In my world," Mhynt said, "a similar force was sealed off, all means of transport cut off, but trapping others with it. I have firsthand experience with this approach. The results saved the outside realm for a time, but made the problem inward worse. In other words, they were allowed to fester and self-sustain undetected, turning what was intended to be an exile into a stronghold. What led you to make this strategic decision?"

"Of course," Bellatrix muttered beneath her breath with an unsurprised roll of her eyes. Given the accounts she'd heard from the others with their discussion with Pyrrin and Halcón, convincing the Escarpa to leave the rail was an outright impossible task. She decided against outrage, not when there was still many advantages to gain from being in Sierra and, by extension, the Escarpa's good graces. It was probably going to be rebuilt anyway.

She still nodded at Mhynt's line of questioning, however. "I will also add that we have our own invested interest in stopping these shadows. Perhaps you could tell us how you plan to stop them. What techniques you use. We may be able to help you if you do."

"Fuck."

Gladion forced himself to take a moment to collect himself instead of saying something he'd regret... Not too much, at least. There were limits to his self-control on these situations, which honestly was another reason on top of the obvious that running away was the only possible outcome to his childhood.

"Fine. What's done is done. I have this ominous hunch that I can foresee town politics as of right now, but it's not like I have to make everything into my problem."

So they had already sent out an agent to blow up the rail. Prim threw her head back and laughed at that. There they’d all been, chattering amongst themselves, debating endlessly, and in that time the barbarian saboteur had probably made it halfway to bridge. Here was someone who saw what needed to be done and acted on it.

Too right. Too right.

“So you blew up the rail. Can’t say I’ll miss it. I woulda done the same. The demons were a consideration, sure. But I think I hear the message in those blasts: it’s your way of life or the rail. Can’t have ‘em both. So to you, the laying of the rail was an act of war in itself. You’re responding in kind. Am I right?”

There’s a grim smile on her face now. The others had hoped to negotiate the destruction of the rail, the invasion of the Black-water. But those were foregone conclusions now. The Escarpa had stood with straight backs against those who had hanged them for the mere act of trespass and set their works ablaze. Sierra said they could predict the lines of battle but not the town’s politics… But they were warriors. They knew as well as any that it was the hand of politic that drew the bowstring. That arrow only flew one way.

So what were they doing here? Did they hope to beg a scrap of Shadow-vanquishing technique off these accomplished warriors, tenderfoots posing as though to “help” a faction that had—by all apparent accounts—knowingly, full-throatedly, fearlessly plunged themselves into war with a technologically superior power?

No. No, Prim didn’t think so. The Blaguarro demons were fucking peanuts to the retaliation they’d just signed themselves up for. Whatever the Wayfarers had set out to do here, it would not—could not—be done. Not now. They had nothing of value to offer this clan.

But this meeting didn’t have to be over yet. Not completely.

“Yeah, that’s a spanner in our fuckin’ works for sure.” She turned to the other Wayfarers now, face set with resolve. “We’re gonna need to realign our priorities here, aren’t we? Maybe it’d be wise to discuss amongst ourselves before we take up any more of the chieftain’s time.”

Last edited:
A deep frown etched Ghaspius's features. "What's done is done," he said with an exhale. That'd be a drag to deal with later. "Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. But I do think we got a bit more to say about the shadows here, yeah? More detailed stuff than just regular fights would reveal?" He eyed the others for confirmation before continuing. Sierra might have things to say about the rail reactions, after all.

Back
Top Bottom