• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Favorite video game music and why?

I liek Squirtles

sobble squad
Pronoun
he
What it says on the tin.

Besides Pokémon because of nostalgia and things, I like the Earthbound/Mother score, because even though I haven't played the game, the music gives me a feeling of it. It's strange and odd, which is exactly what it seems by screenshots and my time playing Super Smash Bros.

Another favorite of mine is Fire Emblem. The music is so courageous and heroic, and when it concerns villains (ie Power Hungry Fool), it suits the situation perfectly.

kirby

hands

down

excellent composition that always seems to fit the location(s) in which it plays, memorable melodies (gourmet race, anyone?) that are helped by many many remixes which sometimes have excellent changes in style (butter building -> stage 4 of shiver star in kirby 64) and just god damn i have always loved kirby music

my favorite specific pieces are: gourmet race, candy constellation, and butter building (original/tempest towers); the king dedede (most games) and rainbow route themes have special places in my heart, though, and then there's several tracks i don't know the names of (one from necro nebula in squeak squad, one of the volcano valley tracks in mass attack) that i don't know the names of.

but yeah. kirby.

additionally, pokémon mystery dungeon for having the most mood-evoking pieces you can ever imagine, especially the first game's fugitive themes (both plot and dungeon) and the second game's ending themes (again both plot and dungeon); spatial rift, mt. thunder, hidden land and mt. blaze are some of the best things ever

The soundtracks from the original Spyro trilogy (ex. Twilight Harbour). Or the Diddy Kong Racing soundtrack (ex. Whale Bay). I like 'em fun and funky. (I also like the intro theme and Climax Return from Dangan Ronpa a lot.)

Not to say that I don't also appreciate more ~serious~ soundtracks! But if they're bouncy and fun that makes me happiest~~

Let's see. This is going to be a long'un, because I'm going to name individual songs. I'll link to some rad remixes for good measure.

I wish I could write an explanation for why I like them for every song I post here but that would make it SUPER long.
Also I'm incredibly musically illiterate also so any explanation I give will probably make me look so stupid.

Battle Music:
BW B2W2 Trainer - Is one of the most intense battle musics in my opinion. It never gets boring! And yet it's personalityless enough that it can be used as a generic battle theme as opposed to a villainous team or legendary battle. It has something I always like in battle music, which is anticipation. When listening to it, you know which bit is coming up and are excited about it, despite the fact the bit you're listening to right now is just as good! Battle Subway is cool too!

GSC HGSS Rival - This has got to be one of the most fitting battle musics out there. None of the other rival musics capture the personality of the person you're battling so well!

BW Rival - Nice and fun and light hearted.

GSC HGSS Team Rocket
RSE Team Magma/Aqua
RSE Team Magma/Aqua Boss
BW Team Plasma
GSC HGSS Champion Lance/Red
DPPt Champion Cynthia
DPPt HGSS Frontier Brain
GSC HGSS Johto Wild Pokémon
GSC HGSS Johto Trainer
BW B2W2 Gym Leader
XD Mirror B
Colosseum Friendly

RSE Gym Leader - For the longest time I really didn't like the GBA games' music. At first I thought it was the trumpets, but then I realised it was just the way the GBA synthesised the trumpet's noise. There was like a whining in the background that really got under my skin. When I heard remixes of this one though, I came to the conclusion that this is the best gym leader music ever. If there is ever an RSE remake, I look forward to hearing the music on not-a-GBA. Even the trainer battle is amazing in Colosseum.

RBY FRLG Gym Leader - I think what I like about the older gens' music (and Pokémon designs) is that since they were more restricted with what the gameboy could do, they had to put more work into getting across what they wanted despite those restrictions. This is a perfect example of that!

Overworld:
GSC (but not HGSS, not even gameboy player) Goldenrod City
RBY GSC FRLG HGSS Celadon City
Dungeons, Bosses:
Twilight Princess Stallord - It's based on the dinosaur battle music from Ocarina of Time but this one has the advantage that you fight while spinning on the spinner. The fastness of the music along with the sort of time limit in how close you are to the top of the tower go really well together.

Ocarina of Time Forest Temple - Eerie music to go with a dark and spooke temple. Not much else to say.

Wind Waker Phantom Ganon - Again this isn't the first game this music has appeared in but the

Phantom Hourglass final battle - It's catchy, and evil sounding despite it being Linebeck's theme

Wind Waker Helmaroc King - Not that good to listen to by itself but in the moment it's quite epic. It fits well with how you're contrained to a small circle whereas, being a bird, the Helmaroc King can go anywhere it likes. Plus the spotlights shining on it when it flies away is cool. Not that that has to do with the music.

Twilight Princess Suit of Armour Miniboss
Wind Waker Jalhalla

Overworld, other:
(all of them) The Legend of Zelda theme
(all of them) Great Fairy Fountain, File Select Menu
(all of them) Zelda's Theme
(all of them) Hyrule Castle
most of Wind Waker including
Wind Waker credits
Wind Waker title theme
Wind Waker Hero of Wind
Wind Waker Earth God's Lyric
Wind Waker Wind God's Aria
Wind Waker Legendary Hero - This and the above songs are some of the main reasons I love Wind Waker. This one is such a Zelday tune, it could compete with the main theme for Zeldayest.

Majora's Mask Clock Town - I love how it gets faster every day as their doom grows nearer. It still sounds happy at the same time though, it gets across the denial some of the citizens are going through, or even just Link's bravery. Don't worry, you're all going to die in three days but I won't because I can just reset everything LOL.

Twilight Princess Hyrule Field - This one is so fun, and it changes depending on whether you're fighting or on horseback! Unfortunately the actual field, while beautiful, doesn't instill the desire to explore like most previous games' fields do.

Skyward Sword Ballad of the Goddess
Deus Ex Title Theme - Perfectly fits the games themes. It sounds like conspiracy and a terrible world to live in and flight from an omnipresent threat.

Metroid main theme
SSBB Audi Famam Illius
Starfox Star Wolf
Tetris Type A

Left 4 Dead theme - It had a version in L4D2 as well, but it was nowhere near as good with the guitars or whatever instruments they used in that game

Portal Still Alive
Portal 2 Want you Gone
(Do I even need a reason for the above two?)

VVVVVV the entire soundtrack - GET IT OUT OF MY HEAD

Civilization IV Baba Yetu - There's a reason why this was the first video game music to get a Grammy

Assassin's Creed II Venice Rooftops, Ezio's Family - Unfortunately this falls under the category of music I've listened to so often that any effect it used to have on me is gone :(

Super Mario Bros Theme
Super Mario Galaxy final Bowser fight
Super Mario Sunshine the music during the FLUDDless levels
Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga Battle

I'm not even going to bother listing any SM64 since there'd be too many (also I've not actually played SM64 :O)

Some individual Minecraft musics but I don't know their names or how to refer to them without being really vague.

And if visual novels count, the entirety of Clannad.
Also this list is not complete. You can help by expanding it

Okami and Chrono Cross.

From Cross we have The Star-Stealing Girl, Garden of Gods, Radical Dreamers, Time's Scar, and a ton more.

Okami has The Sun Rises, Reset, and Playing With Waka. Really, the entire soundtrack is my favorite.

the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-cd2-cover-84115.jpg

top gear rally's jungle theme

My fave song is the Jungle stage theme from Top Gear Rally for N64. Everytime I hear it, I feel like getting in my go-kart and just start racing. It's actually my race-winning song as when I play it on my Ipod during races, I win...always! I'm one of my city's top racers and I'm gonna be going to Daytona for a special go-kart racing event on the boardwalk tomorrow. WISH ME LUCK!

Back
Top Bottom