• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Forlas Spirit Nexus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nova hacked out a rasping cough. He tried to suck in a sharp breath but the mask was there to stop him.

Air. Why was air so hard to come by?!
"You can't give me power! You're not— you replicated something. Why... should I trust you? How do I know... you're not just here to control me?"

The cloud of light flickered, and its particles switched their direction of spin. It was... worried? Or possibly concerned for the chimera.

"This is a spiritual preview of a body that your soul is compatible with. I am sorry you are experiencing discomfort! Unfortunately I do not know how to fix this problem. I can not request a different soul from your world, and I can not make your soul resonate with a different body. I also do not know how to control others. I believe that some pokémon have that power, such as powerful Psychic-types? I am not one of those. I hope that you will trust me if I trust you first! I trust that you were sent for a reason, and that you will help my world."

"And what of our lives? Have we vanished until whatever favour you request is fulfilled for however long?

"Yes! Or rather, no. Time passes separately in different worlds, so it will be as if you never left."

"I suppose we will have to see. I apologize if I'm being rude, but I can't answer to simple words. Whatever you said to call me here must have been very convincing..."

"I did not say anything, actually! The Call was by someone else, and I only sent it out into the multiverse, which is the easy part!"

"...Pray tell, why is this something we're all inclined to just forget afterwards? Is it too much for our mortal minds to retain?"

"As I understand it, souls can not normally retain memories from time spent in other worlds. Some pokémon train for years to retain memories from other universes! In fact, some of you have already spent time away from your native dimensions and simply do not have access to their memories of that time. Perhaps those souls have done something like this before?"

"Wait, who are you? And what the hell is this place?"

"This is a Spirit Nexus, in the Astral Plains, adjoined to the dimension of the world most commonly called 'Forlas' by its inhabitants. I am..."

The cloud stilled, then sped up again. It had needed to think carefully.

"I am not sure who I am. I do not have a name."

"Right. Remind me why you summoned us in half pint forms again? Is that a limitation on your power or does it go deeper?"

"New bodies have to be stabilised first! I could make you into a mega-meowscarada immediately, but then you would immediately enter cardiac arrest from the amount of new power in your body! In fact, that is only the best case scenario! It is much safer to make your new body in its base form and let it grow strong naturally."

"A very harrowing thought... So we could've been on a number of these adventures and they all just flicker away afterwards? A shame, this sort of thing would be a boon to our knowledge of life and the world..."

As he spoke, he began to notice everything seemed... bigger? Tough to completely parse his surroundings still, but at some point it was as if all of it had grown... significantly so... and there was another strange feeling. To put it in simplest terms he was suddenly feeling very much... not like his normal self. Raising a hand to rub at his forehead, he was met with a thin, pointy limb that seemed to be lacking any discernable fingers... and it got caught rustling up against quite a bit of hair that was suddenly drooped well over his forehead and eyeline... It only took a quick look down to see the full extent of just what had transpired... and needless to say Corey... had a few words...

"What the FUCK-" he stopped himself before he could rant further, forcibly taking a series of deep breaths to calm himself down as much as realistically possible... ignoring the notion that reality was undoubtly long gone now.

"...Okay... giant glowing cumulonimbus, or whatever you really are... You're telling me you looked into my very soul, and this is the form you pulled out from it? Look, I like white and green as a color combo but I feel like this might be taking that preference a bit far?!"

"Be cautious of your own mind. Compare your thoughts, before and now. And keep doing so. That's the best you can do."
Nova dragged his helmeted across the ground. The blasted thing wouldn't budge. What would a treecko know about the mind anyway? "You're no psychic." Heavy breaths. He dug his talons into the mask. "For all I know, that's what you've been told to say."

Still, he could move about. Which was more than he could do as himself for the longest time. If Nova truly wasn't dead, then that was different. But there was still the mask. And the mask meant everything could unravel in an instant.

Its response didn't settle him. It was only words, after all. The Matriarch had said many, many things to him. But her actions never lined up. What if this was the same situation? Just another lack of choice.

"If someone... really needs help... they would not... assemble strangers... on a whim." He kept wheezing. Nova had to think back quite a ways. Try to stop the coughing to make himself sound like he actually knew what he was saying. "Unless they're forging an army. And an army needs proper training to succeed."

He finally lifted his head. Dull gray eyes glanced around. They were all so small. And the musings about acclimating might as well have bounced off his mask.

"Is that what we're here for then? Boot camp... before we go to war for some unknown realm?"

Mhynt chuckled to herself. "I'm not currently a psychic, but I used to hold dominion over it," she said. "Story for another time, I suppose." She looked at Nova again, humming. "You have been placed in a great amount of strain before to not trust your own mind and your own senses. Have you ever come up with ways to determine, with certainty, that you are not being manipulated?

"If not... you will only wander in darkness forever, even after you are freed." She faced this strange voice. "Where I had been before, I was in no position to choose my freedoms. Where I go now is an improvement. I will follow through with this 'call.'" She glanced at Nova. "Perhaps you shall take the leap as well. What can possibly change from your old situation if you're wrong? It sounds to me that you were already helpless. So, you are free to do as you like, and maybe it will be worthwhile."

The shrunken down form of the now-Misdreavus did nothing to stop his usual serene smile — though there was a hint of sadness to it. "Well, that's a bit of a shame. I could've found the cure I was lookin' for here and then forgot the moment I came back. Ah well; least sis won't have to worry too much 'bout me." Ghaspius shook his head. "Still, just wouldn't be right to leave someone callin' for help hangin'. Forget or not, I'll still lend a tassel or two."

His gaze leisurely locked onto a few the others, particularly the Treecko and the helmeted one. "'Lot of paranoia goin' on here, ain't it? Do you see a gorgeous lookin' painting and admire it, or do you think about the sweat and tears it took to make it? Personally, I think it ain't worth worryin' so much 'bout the latter."

Following his own advice, he eyes turned back to the blob. "Don't have a name? Would just 'Voice' be good for the time bein', then, or do you want the honors of gettin' one from our group of..." He hummed. "...Not sure what we'd call ourselves, honestly. Heroes would be a nice word, but I'm not too sure everyone feels the same way on that."

So there he was, lying on his belly in a body of shallow water, feeling the current drag at his clothes and fur. Thankfully, the water was shallow enough that his nose, at the tip of his blunt Oshawott muzzle, was in no danger of being submerged. That would have made for a rude awakening otherwise. He hauled himself to his feet, looked around at the impenetrable wall of greenery on either side of himself, then up at the clear blue sky. He pulled down the brim of his brown fedora a bit, to shield his eyes from the blazing sun. This was all very familiar.

That’s right, the last time he’d been in a situation like this, he’d fallen from the sky directly into Serenity River. The Mystery Dungeon had probably saved his life, as when he’d hit the ground he’d simply been ejected, unconscious, out of the dungeon, rather than killed on impact. His name was Archie, he was an Oshawott, though he had been human once. His memories of that time were still hazy, and what he had remembered he’d much rather have remained forgotten. As he stood, he shook water from his fur and tried to wring some of the dampness out of his off beige coat. His Wonder Bag was gone. Likewise, the badge he kept pinned to his lapel was nowhere to be found. He noted with some satisfaction that he hadn’t lost his scalchop in… Whatever mess had brought him to this place. Distressingly, however, his partner was nowhere to be seen.

The grass rustled around him, the sunlight faded from the sky. Another dream of the end of the world?

You are not dreaming!

“Who’s there!?”

The grass flattened suddenly. Or at least, that was the best way Archie could think to describe its sudden disappearance. The river ahead of him suddenly terminated in a plaza of raised brown stones. No, it was a beach, no, the river continued on into a shallow pond. Each time it changed, another spoke radiated out from it, and with each spoke, another person appeared.

The very first, an honest to Arceus human being! He hadn’t seen one of those since… Well, since before Serenity River. She was speaking Galarian, with the accent of one native to that island. It felt so strange to be hearing actual human speech again. She was talking to, well, the best he could describe was that it was a cloud of some sort, a sunbeam shining through dust. The cloud was speaking, in fact, it was the source of the voice he’d just heard. Something about them all being summoned from their worlds, to answer some call for assistance, and then once it was all over, they’d all go home as if nothing had ever happened, without any memory if all this happening. It honestly sounded too neat to be perfectly believable.

The next to speak up was a Mismagius, speaking in the seemingly universal tongue of all Pokemon. Actually, come to think of it, was it strange he could understand the human? Sure, he’d been one, and his native Unova spoke the same language as Galar, but, compared to listening to the Mismagius, the way the human was speaking felt… Unnatural somehow.

"Souls can always understand each other here, but once you arrive, I will translate for you. You will understand and be understood by any sapient being that uses language, including each other. Very convenient!"

Next to speak, another human. She spoke was an accent suggesting Kantoese. Was she speaking that language, or Galarian? Did it matter? He could understand either way, just like the cloud said. The first human spoke again, but now, she wasn’t human? It was like the Oshawott had blinked, and just like that, an Alolan Meowth was standing in her place. She seemed as surprised about it as he was. Apparently, this cloud thing was in the process of remaking them as they spoke.

The people were starting to come more quickly now. Another human, followed up by a strange, half fish-half dinosaur Pokemon he’d never seen before. Another, feline Pokemon he couldn’t quite place, with what appeared to be a cybernetic arm. A Treecko – Spens!? No, a female, who spoke in cold, practical terms, very much unlike the Oshawott’s warm and friendly partner. Something about the shade looming behind her made his heart race. He had to look away from her before he started hyperventilating.

Archie wasn’t the only one having trouble finding his breath. The next to speak, another creature he couldn’t quite recognize, gave out a shuttering cough, apparently struggling with the helmet that appeared bolted closed around its head. More and more spoke up, by now the cross talk was starting to get overwhelming. The Oshawott stepped back a bit, away from the major concentration of the crowd. He cupped his elbow with his paw, then lifted the other paw to his muzzle. And he watched, and thought, as Pokemon shrank and unevolved, as humans changed before his eyes.

And then he came back to the helmeted creature, struggling with the heavy looking thing just as much, if not more, than he was struggling for breath.

“Hey, listen buddy, you’re not doing yourself any favors,” he said, adopting his best soothing tone of voice. He wasn’t the only one who’d taken an interest in the creature, as the Treecko was also speaking to him – though, Archie was doing his best to studiously avoid looking her way, for fear of whatever it was hovering behind her sending him into his own fit, and immediately invalidating what he was about to say next. “Try to breathe slowly and deeply, and don’t thrash around so much. If you keep going on like that, you’re going to make yourself pass out.”

Could a soul pass out? Was that a thing that could happen? He was probably sounding like an idiot. Oh well, too late to take the words back now.

"...Lucy?" Her voice echoed throughout the open space, despite there being no logical reason for it to do so.

She had fallen asleep in her bunk, but that was not what her eyes had greeted her with upon awakening. Nor was it the dream she had been expecting, either. There were no white, snowy hills, no dead trees, no gray clouds above. The dark, starry, void-like sky was a stark difference compared to the scenic winter settings which Kimiko had come to expect of her froslass' dream communications. The pokemon in question was nowhere in sight. But who else did she know that used this form of communication?

Then a cry for aid responded to her echo, and she felt compelled to follow it. Kimiko was very used to realistic feeling dreams - or rather, more often than not, nightmares - but as she watched the grass literally grow before her as she walked, this one felt different. Like she was silently agreeing to come to the aid of whoever was summoning help. That was fine with her, if it got her a reprieve from kidnappers and ghosts and haunted forests.

It seemed she had not been the only one to respond to the echo, either. She moved off to the side to stand out of the way, and watched in silence as the glow-y cloud-like thing explained what was going on to the gathered. Kimiko didn't seem to be the only one questioning their own world's choice of hero, and she wasn't sure whether to be relieved by that or nervous. There sure were a lot of others here, though. Perhaps this wouldn't be the quick-and-easy task she had been expecting. Even so, at least they had a fairly large group here. It was larger than her entire squad's camp even, although not by that much.

This was a lot of information to absorb, but one bit in particular caught her interest; the idea that souls wouldn't retain memories of visits to other words. Kimiko looked down and saw the grass has parted. In its place, her reflection stared back at her from the starry void - except it wasn't her human face. She knelt down to get a better view of the snivy that watched her. Its colors had inverted, the yellow of its back a similar shade to her hair. Color aside, it looked like an ordinary snivy.

But it wore her necklace - Alex's necklace. Even here, he was still with her, at least in spirit. That confirmed that this was her own reflection - this was the form her spirit had resonated with. Kimiko tested it out - taking a few steps, flexing her new vines. She found she didn't feel clumsy in it, as she had expected to. In fact, it felt vaguely familiar, like... muscle memory. She could live with this.

There wasn't much else to do now that her turn for a form change had been granted by the cloud-thing, so she simply settled in to watch the others ask questions, and pray she could retain some information.

"...Okay... giant glowing cumulonimbus, or whatever you really are... You're telling me you looked into my very soul, and this is the form you pulled out from it? Look, I like white and green as a color combo but I feel like this might be taking that preference a bit far?!"

"Yes! You would know better than I could about why you are now a ralts. Maybe you are an empathetic person, like a ralts? Or perhaps you are reclusive, like a ralts!"

"If someone... really needs help... they would not... assemble strangers... on a whim."

"But they did exactly that! Maybe you would not, but it certainly seemed like a good idea to the hero who Called you!"

It didn't seem like the chimera was listening.

"Unless they're forging an army. And an army needs proper training to succeed. Is that what we're here for then? Boot camp... before we go to war for some unknown realm?"

"I do not know how to train people for combat, as I have never fought anyone. Also, I am not aware of any war you are likely to participate in. Also, it is not an unknown realm! It is my world, and it is called Forlas, and I know things about it. For instance, it has mystery dungeons! Also, it has several thousand species of beetle! I do not know if those are unusual qualities for a world, but it is special to me."

"Don't have a name? Would just 'Voice' be good for the time bein', then, or do you want the honors of gettin' one from our group of..." He hummed. "...Not sure what we'd call ourselves, honestly. Heroes would be a nice word, but I'm not too sure everyone feels the same way on that."

The cloud pulsed a soft rose colour for a moment.

"You can call me 'Voice' if you like! It seems to be a title rather than a name, but it feels... fitting. Thank you! I think 'hero' is an appropriate term for someone who would travel across the void between worlds to answer a distress call. So, I think of you as heroes."

"This is a Spirit Nexus, in the Astral Plains, adjoined to the dimension of the world most commonly called 'Forlas' by its inhabitants. I am..."

"'Forlas'...? Lyle knew that he wanted to be anywhere but back home, but he was starting to wonder if he was in over his head at the moment. Nobody here seemed to be from Varhyde like him, let alone anywhere in Wander. And based off the sorts of things the others were saying, it was hard to see much of anything that they had in common with each other.

You can call me 'Voice' if you like! It seems to be a title rather than a name, but it feels... fitting. Thank you! I think 'hero' is an appropriate term for someone who would travel across the void between worlds to answer a distress call. So, I think of you as heroes."

Lyle blinked and shot an askew look back at the cloud.

"Wait, us? 'Heroes'? What makes us so special for you to think that?"

Tarahn had been having an ordinary dream, he thought, something about hunting or trying to find something lost. But all of a sudden he'd been plunked into the middle of a town square with a glow cloud and a crowd of other pokemon that started yelling back and forth at one another. One four-legged pokemon with a metal face seemed particularly upset, and Tarahn wanted to go find his trainer before he started thrashing around or something, which would cause a real ruckus.

Tarahn wanted to Thunder Wave somebody and start the ruckus himself, to blow off some steam. That sounded funny, actually. He summoned the electrical energy, as natural as breathing, and it. Didn't.

He lashed his tail, annoyed, and realized he didn't hear his bells. Twisting around, he was... he was...

Was he always this purple? Normally, he was purple and yellow. This was really weird.

"Hey, I'm Tarahn," he said to the pokemon closest to him. "Where are everyone's trainers?"

"So a world where only pokémon can exist in a physical form," Bellatrix parsed after observing the back-and-forth. "Interesting that it has such a property, when cutting out the process of getting used to a new body would expedite things." Now that she thought of it, wasn't Kythra similar in that regard?

She tuned out most of the reactions to it, given that she didn't have much to say beyond something along the lines of 'suck it up', 'you'll get used to it', or 'that's rough, buddy'. In fact, she was about to tune out most of the conversation had something not just caught her attention.

"Hey, I'm Tarahn," he said to the pokemon closest to him. "Where are everyone's trainers?"
"It appears that each world thought that this was a solo-endeavour," she replied with a tilt of the head. "Though I wouldn't be surprised if several others here are trainers themselves. Former trainers, rather, given they're the pokémon now."

What can possibly change from your old situation if you're wrong? It sounds to me that you were already helpless. So, you are free to do as you like, and maybe it will be worthwhile.
It was brief. Treecko's voice dimmed, replaced by a deafening chorus. Saying that of course he was helpless, because everyone was helpless. That if Forlas was in such grave danger, then it was yet another sign of how sick reality truly was.

... But then, if he wasn't wrapped up in the chains, did it really matter what he did right now? If the end result was that this realm would force him back into the abyss, why not play along? It didn't have to be worthwhile.

If nothing else, he could spite that thing for... an unknown period of time. No guarantee it would amount to anything, but it was a cold comfort. And a cold comfort was more than he had in a long time. And it seemed like they were getting corralled to work together. Making himself an outcast accomplished nothing but giving them the satisfaction they never deserved.

"I guess you're right." A rasping wheeze. Stupid fucking mask. "In a 'glass half empty masquerading as a pep talk' kind of way." Nova sure hoped the mask didn't muffle the slight amusement in his tone.
“Try to breathe slowly and deeply, and don’t thrash around so much. If you keep going on like that, you’re going to make yourself pass out.”
He turned his head slightly. "I've had this thing... longer than you've been alive. I'll survive."
Also, it has several thousand species of beetle! I do not know if those are unusual qualities for a world, but it is special to me.
The voice spoke once again and Nova's gears quickly turned. Not a fighter. Tossing around a bunch of big, fancy words. Disturbingly affable to complete strangers, even with danger supposedly looming on the horizon. He'd seen this before... in a manner of a speaking. Practically developed around it.

He tried to think of how to phrase it delicately, but instinct won out and he shot his shot instead. "You're a scientist, aren't you?"

"Wait, us? 'Heroes'? What makes us so special for you to think that?"

The cloud's dust motes abruptly jumped an inch in the air. This seemed like a suprised blink. The voice repeated itself, more slowly this time.

"I think 'hero' is an appropriate term, for someone who would travel, across the void between worlds, to answer a distress call."

"It appears that each world thought that this was a solo-endeavour," she replied with a tilt of the head. "Though I wouldn't be surprised if several others here are trainers themselves. Former trainers, rather, given they're the pokémon now."

Laura looked up. So, there was even a trained pokémon here? Humans, humans-turned-pokémon, pokémon from worlds without humans, pokémon like Tarahn... All so different from each other.

"Uh, I'm one," she offered, raising a paw. "I was human until a minute ago, and back in my normal life, I'm journeying on the Galar Open circuit. Not sure it'll come in handy, but at least I've got a bit of tactical experience...?"

It didn't feel like much to offer, but at least it sounded better than anything else she could think of.

"You're a scientist, aren't you?"

The cloud 'blinked' again, then seemed to shudder.

"I... have no profession. I am certainly interested in the natural world, and I know some things about it, but I do not believe this qualifies me as a scientist. I understand I would need an education first? I do not know how to apply for one."

It shuddered again.

"I do not think I am very much like the scientists I know."

…So, stuff happened, and it was still happening. Very quickly, too. It was borderline overwhelming, with all those voices from both humans and Pokémon asking so many questions to some kind of… what was that, a sentient cloud?

Silver cocked an eyebrow, flabbergasted. Everything seemed like one extremely wacky fever dream — which wouldn’t even be so bizarre since he was still in a catatonic state — or something he would read in some shojo magazine. And yet…

You are not dreaming!

Something in that tone told Silver that the cloud wasn’t lying. He grumbled, still somewhat confused by all those rapidly happening events, and he ran a hand across his nape, ruffling strands of red hair. Yeah, even that didn’t feel like a dream. It was way too solid, for a lack of better adjectives.

Why was he even there? Did he seriously follow some distress call without thinking?

Well… no. Actually, he had given to that call some thought. Plenty of thought and pondering and musing. And even when his more pragmatic side reminded him to not be reckless, there was a stronger side of him that urged him to go and lend a hand. Because that was the right thing to do.

Hm. That wasn’t his way of thinking at all, and he idly wondered if that Ho-Oh might have had some role into all of this, what with its empathetic spirit and whatnot.

As if on cue, a sudden memory surfaced in his mind. A soothing message from the very bird that saved his life.

«My essence lay dormant within you. May its warmth bring you courage and comfort in the darkest of times.»

Unconsciously, Silver brought a hand to his slowly warming chest and looked down. Sure enough, that same golden feather he had seen in his dreams glowed in all its resplendent glory, pulsating with invigorating life force. He sighed and crossed his arms, before tapping his foot in a mix of annoyance and impatience. Stupid feelings.

“Hmph! Well, then! That message has gathered quite the crowd, huh,” Silver mused, staring at the cloud. “And say, Voice, how’re we supposed to help?”

As he held his focus on the cloud, Silver failed to notice the tail and set of red feathers that had sprouted from underneath his jacket.

The Oshawott shoved his paws into his coat pockets, watching the masked creature with some obvious concern. If they’d really worn that mask for that long, then what had that fit been all about?

“Okay… You weren’t exactly acting like it?” Archie said, “But, as long as you’re sure you’re good. It’s okay to ask for help sometimes if you need to.”

He kept an eye on the masked creature, just in case. In the meantime, though, he tried to focus back on the ongoing conversation with the dust cloud. Something about thousands of beetles? Wait a second. Across the plaza. Was that? Holy Arceus it was. He pointed at Tarahn.

“You!” He shouted. Out of all the Pokemon he could possibly have run into again, he was not expecting this one. Tarahn the Toxel prankster, menace of Capim Town. The first Outlaw Archie and Spencer had ever taken on. The Oshawott bit back a million questions. Tarahn, a hero? Had his community service punishment gone that well?

"Uh, I'm one," she offered, raising a paw. "I was human until a minute ago, and back in my normal life, I'm journeying on the Galar Open circuit. Not sure it'll come in handy, but at least I've got a bit of tactical experience...?"

"Oh okay," Tarahn replied, not understanding any of this. Trainers were pokemon? The world wanted him to solo Endeavour? Was that another pokemon's name?

He figured that Moriko and the other student rangers would be back from their briefing soon and would explain what was going on, or at least where they were going next. He didn't understand why he was a little purple guy and couldn't attack, or why the rest of the team wasn't here, but it was probably part of the exercise. Whatever it was.

"Is lunch soon?" he asked.

“You!” He shouted. Out of all the Pokemon he could possibly have run into again, he was not expecting this one. Tarahn the Toxel prankster, menace of Capim Town. The first Outlaw Archie and Spencer had ever taken on. The Oshawott bit back a million questions. Tarahn, a hero? Had his community service punishment gone that well?

Tarahn was well-acquainted with people shouting "you!" at him while pointing. Phrases like "stop him!" and "call the rangers!" were also familiar. Reflexively, he dove behind the white Zorua. Well, normally he could dive; in purple guy form he managed a surprised scuttle.

"I'm not here," he whispered.

Bellatrix nodded along, more pleased with herself that she was right then paying any real attention to what the meowth was saying. "There you have it, Toxel. A rather simple deduction, wouldn't you agree?"

"Is lunch soon?" he asked.

Tarahn was well-acquainted with people shouting "you!" at him while pointing. Phrases like "stop him!" and "call the rangers!" were also familiar. Reflexively, he dove behind the white Zorua. Well, normally he could dive; in purple guy form he managed a surprised scuttle.

"I'm not here," he whispered.
Clearly not. Her reply to that was a noncommittal shrug and a blunt, "I know little of this realm's accommodations—"

She let out an instinctive yip of surprise, vanishing for a split second, when the toxel dove behind her, pulling some of her fur in the process. With a clear view of the accusatory oshawott she asked with grit teeth, "You two are familiar?"

Too many things going on at once in this realm of nonsense... So they were all a gathering of heroes then? Damn, if he could only remember word for word what that voice had said... but he was having enough trouble even remembering when he ever actually replied with a "yes" to it all... and of course there was still this business with being a ralts. The Voice had tried to justify it, claiming he was likely either empathetic or particularly introverted, and admittedly the latter guess wasn't too far off, but it still seemed so... so utterly bizarre.

Trying to find something to mentally cling onto as to not allow all this to drive him completely nuts, Corey realized a few of the others had rather familiar voices... and in fact, one of them had a name he could very much recall, to his chagrin.

"...Hold on a second... You're that sneaky little shit who kept stealing from the lab! How the hell did you wind up here?!" he called over to Tarahn, who had failed to hide behind a Zorua as another fellow called him out... An Oshawott who also seemed familiar in some fashion but Corey couldn't put a name to the voice.

Well, that wasn’t particularly the reaction of a reformed criminal. A little surprised at being yelled at, that was understandable, but ducking for cover behind some other Pokemon? No, that suggested more someone who was up to no good, and knew it. “Tarahn! Don’t try to hide from me!”

The Oshawott hustled across the plaza, honestly a little worried the Toxel would try to book it. To where, Archie wasn’t exactly sure. But it wouldn’t be the first time he’d’ve had to chase after Tarahn. The Pokemon the Toxel was hiding behind briefly vanished, before reappearing. Now that he was getting closer, the Oshawott released she looked something like a Zorua, though, not one he’d ever seen before. She seemed more than a little displeased at the sudden commotion.

“Familiar? I’m the one who booked him!” Archie nodded, reaching to the lapel of his coat to try and flash the badge he’d momentarily forgotten wasn’t there anymore. His paw hesitated at his chest for a moment longer, then dropped back to his side. “Um. You’ll uh, have to take my word for that. Sorry.”

Well, that kind of deflated the moment. And add to that the sudden appearance of a Ralts, who also seemed to be quite annoyed at the Toxel. Likely another victim, sounded like Tarahn was still up to his old tricks, and-

Wait.

“Corey?” Archie looked at the Ralts with some confusion. That voice certainly sounded very familiar. He didn’t recall Corey cursing all that much though. Or working at a lab. There wasn’t one of those in Treasure Town.

Tyrfing reached instinctively for his sword. His hand closed over nothing.

"That's not good," he muttered.

Long had he known how to become a ghost in a crowd, and now he picked his way to the back of this one. Around him, a multitude of shifting forms, both people and pokémon. There was much talk of help, and heroes, and valour. He cocked his head to listen, pulling a stand of dark hair out of his eyes. He gleaned much wisdom, little of which made sense. Although he had a thousand questions for the nimbus, he knew that there was only one worth asking.

When his turn came, it came without mercy; Tyrfing was reforged in a crucible of nameless agony. His veins screamed, his blood transmuting into molten metal. He bore the pain well, gritting his teeth until none remained.

Long lay he there unmoving in ethereal dust, barely aware of his own form; a warped and blunt blade, encrusted with rust. The tattered and bloody tassel that joined to his pommel clung to a black scabbard. He blinked through a single eye, and wondered if he had drawn attention.

Yet ever that question burned in his mind, and he wondered if it was still worth asking. Although he lacked a mouth, it seemed to him that a shadow of his old voice formed in his thoughts, and echoed out into the void.

"How can I help?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom