• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Frontier Town Frontier Town Outskirts

A part of Wes knew that, by going all out against Seth and leaving himself exposed, he would quickly face the consequences. He couldn’t bring himself to feel surprised when Seth seized him and slammed him into the dirt, sending stars across his vision, or when he dug his claws into the side of his head.

"Who do you think is making the goddamn Shadow pokémon? Who do you think did this to me??"

Through his blurred vision, he saw the flames silhouetting Seth from behind, saw his hateful red eyes up close, saw the black clouds of Shadow all around him. He heard Seth snarl, his voice tight with something almost like despair as he screamed about Cipher. Maybe, under different circumstances, when Wes’s entire body wasn’t churning with energized anger, he might have even felt sorry for the bastard.

But Wes couldn’t bring himself to give a damn.

All he knew, as he thrashed in Seth’s painful grip and met his hateful gaze with his own, was that he, without a shred of doubt, wanted to

Rip.

The Wolf.

To pieces.

“This is YOUR fault!” someone screamed. “You brought this on yourself!” a former friend spat at him. “Do good, kid,” a tired, sorrowful voice whispered, eyes resigned yet filled with an affection he didn’t deserve—

Black Shadows consumed his vision. Seth kicked him away, sending a flare of pain through his head, and Wes screamed.

Distantly, he felt himself get to his feet. His body seemed to be moving of its own accord as he lunged at for Seth, tearing at him with everything he had.

“You’re supposed to know better than me!” he roared. “You’re supposed to be the one with more experience, more knowledge about what you’re dealing with! And you still can’t do a DAMN THING!”

He seized a nearby rock shard and hurled it straight for Seth’s eyes.

“Even after all that!”

He lunged for Seth’s face, claws slashing, fangs snapping, frenzied with rage.

“WE’RE STILL USELESS!”

Wes (30 STM, 18 TMP, +0 SPD, +0 ACC)
- **Bonus Action:** Item (Leppa Berry) (+40 STM)
- AGILE Rock Throw @ Seth (-6 STM, Sure Hit, +3 TMP)
- Rock Throw @ Seth (-4 STM, Sure Hit, +3 TMP)
- CRITICAL Stone Edge @ Seth (-20 STM, Sure Hit, -8 TMP, +3 TMP)
- Interact @ Seth (-3 TMP)
Net change: +10 STM, -2 TMP
Net totals: 40 STM (56 after regen), 16 TMP
(TAKE COVER)

Off by the road, out of immediate sight behind the cane stalks, Leaf was trying hard to catch her breath. She'd stopped pretending to cry, even done her best to have the sound sort of fade out like it was getting further away. Hard to tell how well she'd managed it, though, with her chest still aching and her head still fogged.

That had hurt. He'd done... that, and bam, she'd just been finished. Her and Archie. And the others, sounded like from here. The Wolf could just do that, just turn around and hurt all of them like it was nothing. Whatever he'd done still didn't seem quite real. Didn't seem right. This wasn't how battles were supposed to work.

Screw it, then. Figuring out whatever the prick was hiding came second. He couldn't stop them, couldn't hurt them, if they stopped him first.

Leaf peered around the stalks. Archie was hurt, Koa was struggling to stand, the rockruff's face had been ground into the dirt. But they kept going anyway. That was all they needed. They all just had to keep going...

Then the beldum hurled his cloak into Swearwolf's stupid face. Perfect timing. She winged a stone in his direction and skipped it off his rock-filled head, ignored how the psychic effort of fighting through the fog made her own head ring, then charged in and rained a flurry of stomps down on his back before he knew what'd hit him.

The beldum was running now, off through the thicket. Alone, where the Wolf didn't want anyone to go, which was probably bad. She kicked away from their opponent and glanced around at the others. He could hurt them... but now Nova was on top of him and Archie and the mawile and the rockruff were screaming and striking and it sure as hell didn't look like they were gonna let him. Good. They had this. (They had to.) They would. So she turned and sprinted after the beldum.

Last time she'd been in the thicket she'd been standing still, waiting for him, giving him a fair chance. This time, if Swearwolf really wanted to do something about it, if he even could, he was gonna have to catch the goddamn unicorn.

Leaf (44 STM, 9 TMP, +1 SPD, +0 ACC)
- **Bonus Action:** Item (Geo Pebble) @ Seth
- Dash to Cane Underbrush (-2 TMP)
- AGILE Trailblaze @ Seth (-22.5 STM, Sure Hit, +2 TMP)
- Trailblaze @ Seth (-15 STM, Sure Hit, +2 TMP)
- Double Kick @ Seth (-9 STM, Sure Hit, +2 TMP)
- Walk to Cane Thicket
Net change: -44 STM, +4 TMP
Net totals: 0 STM (18 after regen), 13 TMP

Turn 4
Player Phase Results

Wes and Steven blinded Seth!
Nova held Seth in place!

Astrid & Nova dropped Seth's Def!

Koa' Howl boosted the squad's Atk!
Koa's Mach Punch dealt 16 damage to Seth!
Koa's STRONG Mach Punch dealt a CRITICAL 27 damage to Seth!

Archie's AGILE Razor Shell dealt 25 damage to Seth! -1 Def!
Archie's Razor Shell dealt 38 damage to Seth! Seth's Def can't go lower!
Archie's Assurance dealt 31 damage to Seth!

Ridley burned Seth!

Leaf's Geo Pebble dealt 15 damage to Seth!
Leaf's AGILE Trailblaze dealt 17 damage to Seth!
Leaf's Trailblaze dealt 22 damage to Seth!
Leaf's Double Kick dealt 14, then 15 damage to Seth!

Odette's Intimidate dropped Seth's Atk!
Odette's STRONG Flash Cannon dealt 12 damage to Seth!
Odette's Play Rough dealt 19 damage to Seth! -1 Atk!
KO!!

Every fighter had their limit, no matter how much of a battleheart they were. Seth dropped, snarling and thrashing like a feral 'mon, and the fight left him. The Shadows, too, it seemed. Fainting in battle evidently purged the dark energy, at least for a time, at least for 'mon like Seth who were not fully corrupted.

Wes, it seemed, was well on his way to that point himself.

Wes! Be careful! Your Shadow energy is growing exponentially...!
Fevered: Exotic Ailment.
Recoil is taken from all moves; pay 3 tempo per move already used last turn. [Torment]
Mundane moves become Shadow-type.

But he would not, or could not, hold himself back.

“You still can’t do a DAMN THING! Even after all that! WE’RE STILL USELESS!”
Wes's AGILE Shadow Rock Throw dealt 35 damage to Seth!
Wes's Shadow Rock Throw dealt 33 damage to Seth!
Wes's Shadow Stone Edge dealt a CRITICAL 77 damage to Seth!

Wes took 14 damage from the recoil!
Wes refused to pass out!
Wes became Frenzied!
Something is happening...!

The Shadow-type energy filling Wes up was as much as Seth had borne at his peak. Consuming, mind-altering darkness, enough to redden his eyes and fill his aura such that every attack made was Shadowed, and every attack filled him up with yet more Shadow. He rained blow after blow down on Seth, even after the Lycanroc went down, powered by the rage and resentment that he could no longer control. Those feelings were loose in him, and the rest of the Wayfarers could feel it.

...This is too much! Too much for me to mitigate!

Everyone gained 60 Shd!
Archie instantly became Fevered!
At the end of the next player phase, anyone above 60 Shd will become Fevered!
Anyone above 80 Shd will become Frenzied!
Frenzied: Exotic Ailment.
Cannot specify targets or use bonus actions; mental ailments are incurable.
Must attack nearby targets; will relocate if none exist.

Turn 4
Enemy Phase

The battle wasn't over. Even as the Wayfarers prepared to fight one of their own, Wes' form was enveloped in a swirl of light and Shadow...

Wes is evolving!

...and he changed.

Wes evolved into Lycanroc!
Wes regained HP!
Wes is still Frenzied!

The Dusk Lycanroc, still frenzied with Shadow energy, immediately tore into every battle-ready pokémon in his vicinity, unable to distinguish friend from foe, unable to control himself, or even purge the Shadows within him.

Wes's AGILE Shadow Rock Throw dealt 9 dmg to Odette! KO!!
Wes's Shadow Rock Throw dealt 11 dmg to Archie!
Archie toughed it out at 1 HP to help his friend!
Wes's Shadow Stone Edge dealt a CRITICAL 41 dmg to Koa!

"Ggaah..."

Seth planted one palm on the ground and pushed himself up onto his other elbow. Though his face was bruised and bloodied, he managed to force out a few, ragged words.

"...Get ahold of yourself, kid...!" he gasped. "It'll... eat you up inside... like it does to me...!"

Seth Called out to Wes!
Wes's Shadow fell by 20...

Heroic spirits...! Wayfarers!

Take heart. Regain your focus. Wes is still in there! You must calm him, or defeat him in battle!

But remember, you must control your own darkness...!

✅ Objective: Defeat Seth Lycas.
[ ] Objective: Discover what Seth is protecting.
[ ] Objective: Defeat Wes Lycas.
[ ] Objective: Do not become Frenzied.
[ ] Objective: Do not allow Wes to Rupture.
(Rupture occurs if a unit is above 100 corruption at the end of their phase, or if they ever reach 120 corruption.)

Seth was down. Somewhere far, far away in the back of Wes’s mind, something screamed at him to stop, stop, it’s over, you’ve won.

But Wes wasn’t finished.

He tore at Seth repeatedly with rock-enforced claws. Every blow fueled him further and increased his fury, appealing to something dark and twisted within him that wanted to hurt, break, destroy whatever was in front of him. And yet, with every blow, pain sizzled through his veins like tiny stabs of electricity, which in turn fed his endlessly mounting rage.

Stop—

He could shred Seth to pieces, tear him limb from limb, and it would not be enough, it would never be enough—

Please, no—

Light bloomed around him, distracting him momentarily from his rampage. He was...changing. Evolving.

Becoming s t r o n g e r.

No. Not like this. No—!

Pain faded and gave way to a grotesque sense of seething malice. Wes bared his newly strengthened fangs, then threw his head back and howled, sand stirring around his paws as his cry reverberated through the air with chilling bloodlust.

If one listened closely, they might have heard a note of acute anguish within.

Wes lowered his head, eyes gleaming scarlet, then lunged.

First at Odette—

No, no, no, stop-!

Then at Archie—

STOP—

Then at Koa.

“NO!”

This time the cry broke free, but it came out in a snarl of incandescent anger. Wes sent Koa sprawling and screamed after him, shadows dancing about his new form.

“You were supposed to STAY AWAY! You were supposed to be better than I am!”

Don’t look at me like this.

“You think you’re special for hating me? THINK AGAIN! Nobody can hate me more than I DO!”

Please, kid, just run.

“All I wanted was to help you! To save you! Now look at what you’ve done!” He slashed, barely missing Koa’s head. “Now you’ll get to experience the same terrors I have, and it’s YOUR OWN DAMN FAULT!”

I’m so sorry.

Wes lunged again, and this time, the voice struggling to hold him back fizzled out entirely.

Last edited:
He panted, feeling his strength fade along with the adrenaline from the fight. Archie looked down at Seth, half expecting the Lycanroc to get up again. When a third wind didn’t come to The Wolf, the Oshawott finally let himself lower his Scalchop. It was over. Somehow, they’d won. But then Wes started attacking. And he didn’t stop. The Rockruff practically erupted into an explosion of shadow, which quickly enveloped them all.

Suddenly, it was like all of his blood had turned to ice. The Oshawott dropped his scalchop, clutching at his chest with both paws. It was too much, all at once. He couldn’t focus, couldn’t think, couldn’t even move. The ice in his veins had frozen him to the spot. The shadows cleared from his vision, and Wes was… Changed. Recognizably a Lycanroc, but of a type Archie had never seen before. And this time, when he attacked, it wasn’t Seth Lycas that received the brunt of his fury.

Too fast for him to react, Wes launched a flurry of rocks at Odette, and then it was Archie’s turn. The boulders knocked him off his feet, sent him rolling across the dirt, sand, and ash. The Oshawott ended up on his stomach – he felt something warm and wet, had his injury reopened? – on the razor’s edge of consciousness. Still, he couldn’t move but for the ice in his veins. His heart sent tingles of pain through his body with every beat. He couldn’t breathe. Was he dying?

… Maybe that was for the best. He wondered if this was how the people of his world felt, left behind on that dying planet. Freezing as the last source of light and warmth left them all behind. Did he deserve to live when they all died? Someone was talking, but he couldn’t make out the words. He was fading now, was he going to go home?

… Someone else was talking now. Shouting, more like. Saying something… To him? He strained his ears to listen. The voice was familiar. It wasn’t Spencer, so he hadn’t returned home yet. That specific cadence, he was almost certain, it had to be...

Koa?

He wasn’t dead yet. That meant he couldn’t give up. His friends were relying on him. Koa and Steven... Leaf and Nova… And Wes! He had to get up, he couldn’t let it end this way. He clenched his fingers, just to prove that he still could, his arm shook with the effort, but before long he’d managed to grab a pawful of dirt. His blood started flowing again, the feeling of ice remained, but lost its bite. He took a deep, shuttering breath, and forced his arms underneath himself. It took all his effort to push himself off the ground again, but he did it. On his feet yet again. And here he’d been worried about Seth being the one to get a third wind.

Wes wasn’t hard to find. Betel had said something. That Wes was still in there, that had to be it. They just had to draw him back out. He was their friend. Surely they could get through to him, somehow? Archie staggered, stumbled, then finally broke out into a run. He threw himself at the Lycanroc, wrapped his arms around Wes’s neck and clung on to his rocky mane for dear life. This might be foolish, but he had to try. He couldn’t turn his scalchop on his friend, there had to be another way!

“Wes! We won! It’s over now!” he yelled, all the while squeezing his eyes shut and tensing up, expecting the frenzied Lycanroc’s retaliatory blow, “So… You can stop now! So, please, stop! … Please…”

Archie (25 STM, 8 TMP, +0 SPD, +0 ACC)
- Receive Call (+3 TMP)
- **Bonus Action:** Focus (+5 TMP)
- **Bonus Action:** Call @ Wes
- Interact @ Wes (-3 TMP)
Net change: +0 STM, +5 TMP
Net totals: 25 STM (59 after regen), 13 TMP
(TAKE COVER)
(BREATHER)
  1. Astrid
  2. Ridley
  3. Nova
  4. Leaf
  5. Koa
  6. Archie

Jawile successfully landed the final blow on Seth, watching maliciously as he sunk to the ground with their final nip. A grin spread over their teeth, and they spit at a nearby rock, sending a globule of saliva, steel, and blood splattering against it. "̵Y̸e̶a̵h̶,̴ ̷t̷h̸a̸t̷'̸s̶ ̸w̶h̴a̵t̸ ̶I̵-̴-̸"̸

But, the battle wasn't over yet. Swirling energy caught their attention, and they turned just in time to watch Wes shift forms, like a creature straight out of a fucking horror movie. His shadowy energy was almost blinding to them, and the malice he radiated was enough to get them to bare their teeth in warning. This wasn't good; they were already down to their last ounce of strength with no means of getting back up again if they fell.

This wasn't just bad, it was dire.

Spitting again, Jawile hung their tongue as they tried to catch their breath. Seth was somehow still awake enough to call out to Wes, and all it did was make Jawile want to bite him all over again. Did the stupid fucking idiot not realize he did that? Now that he'd gotten his fucking ass handed to him, it shrunk his ego back down to size?

He was done, though. The focus was getting to Wes to calm the fuck down, whatever the means. Their collective warning from before the battle started rang in their head. I guess this is the part where I say that if I start foaming at the mouth and going full darkness feral mode, please bash me over the head with the biggest rock you can find. To them, that actually sounded like a great idea. Knock him out and be done with it. Before he could get any fucking worse. That was the one job.

They didn't get that far. They barely had a chance to finish the thought before Wes lunged at them. They tried to dodge, but their energy levels were already close to zero, and the attack is what did them in.

Odette's body crumpled again, and there seemed to be more permanence in the way her body hit the ground. Her thoughts meshed again in a wild cacophony of rage and pure exhaustion. It was all exacerbated by the pain that overtook every shred of feeling she had. So much pain, so much fear.

What...happened...?

No, no, that stupid fucking idiot, he's gonna get himself and the rest of us KILLED, we have to--

But...I...thought we...

Stupid dumbass motherfucking FUCKING imbecile, get up, get up, get up, somebody needs to throw something at him, somebody needs to--

We
're...tired...we're...supposed...to be done now...want to fucking be done...want to go home...

Wes...why...you're fucking...

Sucking in the last ounce of conscious breath she had, Odette pushed herself up to look over at their new foe. The one she didn't yet want to believe was a foe. A sudden bout of Wrath eclipsed her terror of the flames, and numbed her to the aches in her joints and the blood spilling out of her wounds. For a moment, all she focused on the guy she was willing to call a friend.

Odette called out to Wes!

H̴e̶y̵ ̵you f̴u̴cki̸n̷g̶ ̸g̷r̷ub! ̵Is this really h̵o̶w̴ ̴f̷r̵i̵e̶n̷d̵s̵ ̶t̸r̴eat f̵r̴i̵end̶s̷?̸ ̴Y̴o̴u̷ ̷really ̵beli̷e̴v̶e̶ ̶c̷h̷a̵nne̷l̴i̶n̸g̴ ̶y̴our̷ ̸o̴w̷n̴ ̷elf̴-̸l̶o̴a̶t̶hing into ̵f̶i̷g̷h̵t̵i̴n̵g̸ ̴u̷s̶ is the way ̷t̴o̸ ̴g̶o̵? ̵N̷o̴b̴o̷d̸y̸ ̷needs ̸aving,̶ ̴you ̷j̴u̷s̵t̵ ̸n̶e̶e̴d̷ ̵t̵o̵ ̶W̸A̷K̵E̷ ̸T̷H̷E̸ ̵H̶E̴L̶L̶ ̴U̷P̸.̶ ̴

̷Y̵O̸U̴'̶R̴E̷ ̵S̴
O MU̶C̴H FU̴C̴K̸I̶N̸G BETTE̸R̶ THA̵N̷ ̷THIS. WE O̵N̶L̵Y̷ JUT̴ ̷ TALKED ̸B̷U̶T̶.̶.̶.̵I...I...KN̶O̵W̴ ̸I̷T̷.̴"̴

With a defiant swing of her arm, she beamed a rock at his head. Her vision went black after that.

Last edited:
Was it over? His legs trembled and he could barely hear anymore over the sound of his own heartbeat in his ears. His throat burned and his eyes watered. Please be over.

And then Betel spoke and cold chills chased away any fragments of relief that had begun to form. He opened his jaws to cry out, but his voice failed him as Wes bore into Seth with a vengeful flurry of attacks. The crawling sensation under his pelt increased tenfold and he could feel the familiar tug of the shadows, intensifying until it was less a tug and more a sinkhole. Then Wes began to glow.

Move! Run!

His legs ignored his mind. He stared as the horrible shadowy light enveloped Wes.

And for a moment his mind was a thousand places at once. He was throwing useless attacks at a frenzied Charmeleon and trapped by fire. He was in the Haus, trying to protect Steven, watching as the Skorupi changed. He was surrounded by Alex’s shadowy flames. And he was back at Amity Square as it burned; Entei looming over him. Cornered.

In flash, Odette, then Archie went down.

This is all because of you.

“You think you’re special for hating me? THINK AGAIN! Nobody can hate me more than I DO!”

"I can try!" Rage flared through Koa. "Now look who's making a mess of things!" Right now he didn’t care to hold back, or control his shadows or use them for anything other than taking Wes down. Archie was barely standing. Odette was down. All because of him Wes. Wes who lorded around like he was so tough and smart. Wes who thought he was so much better than everyone.

Wes who thought he was a useless failure.

Black swallowed Koa's vision until all he saw was the licking flames and Wes. Wes's blows sent distant pain tearing through him that he ignored. He lunged to meet him.

"I didn't ask for your help. I don't want to be saved!" He shrieked in a fury, swinging his paws blindly at the now larger Wes, slicing them against his stony neck and face. "I want friends. I want to not be useless! I'll show you I'm not a failure! That I can be good enough!" Desperation and anger bled into his words and paws. "That I can be perfect!"

A blow sent him reeling for a moment, his thoughts spinning as he tumbled back. From somewhere far away, a distant a call. Ridley's voice. Horror at what he was doing briefly overrode the allure of the shadows. The prickling began to fade and for a moment he could think again without that coldness blotting out his thoughts.

You showed your true colors.

Archie. He had to make sure Archie didn't succumb. He had to stop this and do something. “Archie!” His voice cracked. Tool its a tool; use it. “Focus! Use your power. You told me real power can be soft. Don’t let it control you!”

Koa called out to Archie!

Koa (23 STM, 5 TMP, +0 SPD, +0 ACC)
- Receive Call (+3 TMP)
- Mach Punch @ Wes baybey (-6 STM, +3 TMP)
- STRONG Mach Punch @ Wes baybey (-12 STM, +5 TMP)
- **Bonus Action:** Call @ Archie
Net change: -18 STM, +11 TMP
Net totals: 5 STM (22 after regen), 16 TMP
(TAKE COVER)

Last edited:
"...Get ahold of yourself, kid...!" he gasped. "It'll... eat you up inside... like it does to me...!"
"Quiet, you." Nova had a much easier time keeping Seth pinned with the fight knocked out of the lycanroc. His voice wasn't distorted, but raspier. Every breath was more like a wheeze. And Seth might've been able to feel chains that weren't really there brushing against his rough fur. "Unless you want to tell us what you're hiding, you've done more than enough here!"
But remember, you must control your own darkness...!
At Betel's words, Nova tensed. His fur prickled. Not loosening his grip, he looked up to see Duskenroc Wes lashing out. Knocking Odette out and bringing Archie and Koa to their knees. The oshawott refused to fight back, while the electrike was all too happy to go on the offensive. All the while others were calling out to one another.

Not again.

His hind legs dug into the dirt. Even with a bit more training... he still fell short. Nova wasn't protecting anyone. He was just fooling himself into believing that.

No. Get a hold of yourself.

The null shook his head. His helmet rattled, as did the shadowy chains.

Nova couldn't think like this. He wasn't a failure. No one here was a failure. This was... just an unexpected swerve. And that... that was good! If things were straightforward, then there wouldn't have been a need to summon the Wayfarers in the first place, right?

It was another hurdle. But one they could control— no, must control. There were still choices in all of this. And Nova had to do his part. Even if that part was small... he could make a difference.

That goes for you too, Betel! Nova took a breath to steady himself. You have to make sure this doesn't spread to the others who aren't here! I... I know you can do it! Focus on my voice! ... Err, mental voice!

Nova calls Betel!

Oh, this was bad.

Seth went down, and Ridley had barely any time to experience the rush of vicious satisfaction before Wes, snarling and scarlet-eyed, was consumed by shadow.

This was really, really bad.

In the half a heartbeat before the new lycanroc burst his way from the darkness and tore into the group, Ridley wasn't afraid. He felt horrifyingly, sickeningly angry that he didn't get to savour Seth's defeat.

Wes crashed into the exhausted Wayfarers like a landslide, landing blow after blow without mercy or hesitation.

That was when the fear hit, crawling up from Ridley's stomach and filling his throat like the ghost of bile. The transformation had been so fast, so sudden and total. Wes had lost himself as easily as Ridley could snap his fingers.

How had they been so stupid as to assume shadow energy was something they could use without consequence? They were playing with fire, so why was it so shocking to see one of them get burnt?

It had felt so good to burn Seth. Ridley wanted to feel that thrill again.

"I didn't ask for your help. I don't want to be saved! I want friends. I want to not be useless! I'll show you I'm not a failure! That I can be good enough! That I can be perfect!"
Koa's howling broke Ridley from his terrified trance. "Koa!" he roared, desperately hoping he could be heard over the chaos of everyone shouting at once. "Snap out of it! You can't let this consume you too!"

Ridley (Aux Rogue/Spotter)
- Call @ Koa

Last edited:
There was a howl behind Leaf as the combined attacks finally, finally brought the Wolf down. They'd done it. They were going to be okay. That was all they'd needed to do. Now maybe they could finally figure out what this guy was even doing here—

There was a howl. There was shouting. Similar to the Wolf, but different. The rockruff? Like the rockruff, but too deep to be a rockruff. There was shouting. The others shouting. There was screaming

The fog came back, not so much rolling in but slamming into her chest, into her head, shoving her from behind and nearly sending her stumbling. It hurt. It should've been fading because pokémon were tough but it wasn't and it hurt and it kept hurting more.

Of course it hurts. You didn't have to do this to yourself; don't you understand that? You and these people you were supposed to be "helping". Who you thought you could trust even though you don't know them. This outcome was always a possibility. Thinking otherwise was childish and stupid. Or were you even thinking at all?

The pain wasn't fading but the other voices were. Maybe someone was saying something? Didn't matter. Not loud enough to drown it out.

You shouldn't have come here. You should've known better than to come here. I tried to warn you and you didn't listen. You never listen.

Never listened. Should've listened. Maybe listening would make it stop. So she tried, tried to move her ears from where they were pinned against her head. Still shouting. Shouting at the Wolf and shouting at the other wolf and shouting at each other. Shouting at her (god she hated shouting), shouting at her and saying

They were still here. Astrid was still here, and Archie, and Koa, and, and. And everything was still happening and hadn't stopped happening and it wasn't going to stop unless someone did something. She was here and they were here and they had to do something.

No. Don't. Stop! You have to stop. I don't want you to—

Fuck off. I'm busy. And she charged back through the canes and launched herself at the lycanroc.

Leaf (18 STM, 8 TMP, +1 SPD, +0 ACC)
- Receive Call (+3 TMP)
- Walk to Cane Underbrush
- **Bonus Action:** Item (Leppa Berry) (+40 STM)
- AGILE Trailblaze @ Wes (-22.5 STM, +2 TMP)
- Trailblaze @ Wes (-15 STM, +2 TMP)
- Double Kick @ Wes (-9 STM, +2 TMP)
Net change: -4 STM, +9 TMP
Net totals: 14 STM (32 after regen), 17 TMP

Last edited:
Steven was bunting his way through the thicket, hoping the others had been able to keep Seth from following when their spirit guide cried out. Except it wasn't in warning or in triumph.
Betel said:
too much! Too much--
It was distress.

Steven froze, voice hesitant. "Betel?"

He'd barely turned back towards the clearing when shadows grabbed hold. They slammed into him with the force of a tidal wave; a frigid plunge that pressed in from all sides, drowning him in icy terror. His body jerked left, then right, his claws stretching wide then snapping shut. He cried out as his insides twisted and burned, his side alight as if the Skorupi had him in its jaws again. The sound he made wasn't his own, his normal screech warped with dissonant tones, like there were several voices all crying out at once.

What was happening?

He suddenly felt very small, pressed into the earth by some invisible weight. The swaying cane thicket towered over him, like dark fingers of a hand ready to squeeze, promising the sweet embrace of nothingness. Again. The surge of pain passed, muted to a dull throb by the overwhelming presence of fear. Steven froze in place, eye wide and staring, darting wildly in a search for the source of his panic.

Some instinct cried out in his mind, "danger, danger!" but there was nothing for a moment. Then another. And then a towering blast of light and shadow ripped through the night. The canes around him flattened, granting him a view of the clearing beyond. Standing in a swirling column of darkness was a Lycanrock. For a brief moment, Steven thought that somehow Seth was still fighting, but no, something was different. This was--

"Wes?"

The name came out choked, barely audible and tinged with static, yet for one blood-curdling moment, Steven swore Wes's blank red eyes found his.

The terror of the night doubled in that moment. Tripled as the shadows latched even tighter. Darkness fuzzed at the edge of his vision. He didn't have a pulse, but the shadowy haze throbbed in response to the beat of a heart, driving a rhythm of relentless, hammering fear.

Run. RUN. Anywhere but here.

Steven spun in panic and darted deeper into the thicket. He didn't know where he was going, he couldn't see. Too dark, too dense, too panicked. But it didn't matter. As long as the sounds of a Lycanrock ripping through its helpless victims never got closer.

Just as he allowed himself a haphazard glance behind, he burst from the thicket, unable to stop his momentum before he crashed headfirst into a craggy rock wall. He barely had time to regain his faculties with a warbled groan before he was wedging himself backend first in a crack in the rock. Defensive posture. Protection. Safety.

Only then, with reassurance from the natural instincts of his body, did the shadows relinquish their total control. It was only a sliver of relief, but enough for Steven to regain some semblance of himself.

"Betel-- Betel-- What--?" He blinked rapidly, aware of how awfully he was shaking, rattling against the rocks he'd forced himself between. "Wes. He--. The shadows. Oh gods, he--"

Unconsciously, his gaze darted to the valley entrance, half expecting a shadow draped Duskmane Lycanrock to burst through.

No, no. He was alone. Safe. But Wes wasn't. And the others. Gods, he'd run.

He could feel the shadows sinking their grip into him again. Wrapping around his mind, burning into his body. But did it matter? He couldn't hurt anyone here, not even himself the way he was wedged. Maybe...

"Betel!" he gasped, eye squeezed shut. "I'll take what you can't! Give it to me so you can help Wes. Please."

He could ride it out here. At least he hoped. It was only fair after he turned tail and ran. Maybe he could handle it. And if he couldn't... At least if he stayed here, away from anyone he could hurt, Archie wouldn't have to follow through on his awful promise.

Steven peeked his eye open as he waited for Betel's reply, getting one last look at his surroundings before, well, he didn't know. Whatever it would be, it was better for him to bear it than anyone else.

Turn 5
Player Phase Results

Astrid Called out to Leaf!
Ridley Called out to Koa!
Koa Called out to Archie!
Archie Called out to Wes!
Odette Called out to Wes!
Seth Called out to Wes!

Seth struggled against Nova's bulk, and the sense of being chained, but was too physically spent to free himself.

Still, he managed to gasp out, "Think... wh-what your boys w-would think if they saw you now! C'mon, kid—!"

Wes' Shd fell by 40!
Nova Called out to Betel!
Steven Called out to Betel!

There was a thrum of psychic – spiritual? ethereal? – effort, and the entity they called Betelgeuse responded to the Wayfarers' belief in them.

I will! Nova, I promise! I will contain this...!

Steven, stay focused! Remain calm; you will be alright...!

Darkness seeped from Wes' body, and elsewhere, the party's Beldum quivered with fresh, acrid Shadow energy.

Wes was drained of corruption!
Steven took on Wes' corruption!

The Oshawott hung tight to Wes' body, conserving his stamina, trying to contain any further attacks. He would have no idea if he was succeeding or not as he did, shaken and tossed as he was, but somehow these efforts would prevent against any further attacks landing...

Archie clung on to Wes!
Wes Focused...
Wes' Shd fell even further!
Wes is no longer Fevered!
Wes is no longer Frenzied!

Leaf's AGILE Trailblaze dealt 20 damage to Wes!
Leaf's Trailblaze dealt 22 damage to Wes!
Leaf's Double Kick dealt 15, then 16 damage to Wes!

Koa's Mach Punch dealt 20 damage to Wes baybey!
Koa's STRONG Mach Punch dealt 24 damage to Wes baybey!
KO!!

The final volley of attacks met their mark with hardly any resistance. The Dusk Lycanroc collapsed, the last of the corruption leaving him in a ragged gasp. Two wolves now lay on the ground in that moonlit clearing, exhausted and beaten. Two wolves who shared a name, a partial history, and potentially much more besides.

If they had proven anything by this fight, it was that Seth was not the only 'mon vulnerable to berserk volatility under the influence of Shadow energy. Still, the team had prevailed. It could certainly have gone worse.

~Wayfarers Win!~
✅ Objective: Defeat Seth Lycas.
✅Objective: Defeat Wes Lycas.
✅Objective: Do not become Frenzied.
✅Objective: Do not allow Wes to Rupture.
[ ] Objective: Discover what Seth is protecting.

Now, there was the small matter of learning what Seth was really doing in the outskirts of Frontier Town...

Wes had gone still. Nova didn't move from where he was standing. Instead, he shook his head. While shaking, he disengaged the hatch in his mask. A couple of berries tumbled out, and the momentum sent them toward his teammates. "Here," he said between deep breaths. "You guys... need 'em more than me. Sorry if they... smell like dirty fur. I thought... it'd be convenient... in the mask."

It was pretty dark out by now. "Um, so, anyone see Steven?" Nova took a few more deep breaths. "Steven? Steeeeveeeeen, you out there?"

Everything ached.

Wes coughed, mouth full of sand, feeling as though his lungs were on fire. All his previous strength and rage was gone, leaving him feeling cold, empty…drained.

I…evolved. The thought felt distant, detached. He felt the spires of rock in the fur around his neck, the strengthened muscles in his new, much larger form. And yet he couldn’t bring himself to feel triumphant.

He weakly raised his head and saw the destruction—gouges in the earth, shredded sagebrush, his teammates littered about and battered to varying degrees.

I did this.

A cold, heavy weight formed in his chest and twisted in his gut. He’d…lost control. Gone on a rampage. Just like him. For all his talk about being different from that bastard, Wes had ultimately proved to him—to everyone—that he was no better. That he was just as pathetic. Cowardly. Weak.

A weight around his neck shifted, pulling him from his thoughts. What he had thought was added weight from the rocky spires turned out to be…

“Archie?” Wes rasped.

The Oshawott was clinging to Wes’s mane, eyes shut tight, shivering all over. The awful sensation in Wes’s stomach increased tenfold at the sight.

I did this.

“Archie, you can…you can let go of me now.” His voice was ragged, his throat raw. (Had he been screaming?) He shook himself and gently dislodged his friend, depositing him in the sand with a soft thump.

The motion made him dizzy. Wes slumped back into the sand, staring up at the stars overhead, wishing he could just…disappear into the sand.

Why…am I here, Betel? Why did you bring me? I can only do more harm than good no matter where I go.

He closed his eyes. “I’m…so sorry,” he said aloud, to both everyone and nobody in particular.

He was bigger now—much bigger, easily three times the size he was before, and far stronger, too—perhaps the strongest he’d ever physically been.

And yet, somehow, Wes had never before felt so small.

Last edited:
The blow he was expecting never came. Instead, Wes collapsed, dragging the Oshawott down with him. Had they managed to calm the Lycanroc, or, in the end, did they merely beat him back into submission? Had Archie been of any help at all, or was he just so much dead weight? Either way, when Wes spoke next, there was no doubt the Shadow frenzy had well and truly passed. Archie allowed himself to be de-tangled from the Lycanroc’s mane, though, without Wes’s body as a support to hold himself upright, the Oshawott’s legs quickly gave out underneath him, and he collapsed into a seated position by Wes’s head.

What were they supposed to do, now? More specifically, what was he supposed to do now? What could he even say? He dug his last Oran Berry out of his pocket – pitted and bruised as it was from the rough treatment the Oshawott had gone through, it would still prove effective at helping regain some of his energy. He’d need it for the trek back to Frontier Town. He nibbled at it weakly, everything felt too raw for anything more, and kept his eyes on the berry…

At least, he did until another one rolled across the marred battlefield and came to rest against his foot. He picked the berry up, looking across at Nova, the source of the thing. Part of him wanted to protest, clearly the chimera was in need of healing just as much as the rest of them. But, then he thought better of it, and instead offered the Oran to Wes.

“Here,” he said, holding the berry out to the Lycanroc’s muzzle, “You should eat. You’ll feel better.”

Last edited:
Wes stared dully at the berry in Archie’s paw, then slowly shook his head.

“Don’t…need it. I’ve already got one.” Assuming he still had it. For all he knew, he’d eaten it or destroyed it in his rampage. He could only remember blurry fragments from that state; fragments and rage and pain. Lots of pain.

He looked up at Nova and gave him a weary nod. “Thanks anyway,” he mumbled hoarsely. Then he looked back to Archie. “You take it. You could use another.” He still looked battered as all hell.

And whose fault is that?

Wes dug into in the pouch on his brace for a berry. He could tell by scent that he did indeed still have one…but he had no intentions of using it. It was…better used on someone else.

He stared past Archie, spotting a struggling firm some distance away…Koa. With a jolt, a flash of memory returned—lashing out with a snarl, sending the Electrike tumbling across the sand…

Wes felt sick. He forced himself to his feet and limped over to Nova. With his back to Archie, he was confident the Oshawott wouldn’t see or hear what he had to say.

“Here.” He pulled the berry from his pouch and dropped it at Nova’s feet. “Give this to the kid for me.” He nodded in Koa’s direction, then before Nova could possibly protest, he turned and limped towards Seth’s prone form.

Last edited:
A buzzing, awful, all encompassing satisfaction flowed through Koa for a moment as he saw Wes finally go down. And then revulsion blotted out the sensation. He backed away as the incessant crawling shadows under his pelt finally began to ebb. His gaze locked onto his bloody paws. You liked it.

Suppressing the nausea in his gut he numbly scanned the battlefield, trying to make sure everyone was standing. Archie had survived, thank the saints. He wanted to instictively rush over to check on Archie but he was still beside him. Odette had been solidly down but she was alive he was pretty sure and Leaf and the others too and -

Nova's call jarred him and he glanced around frantically. Steven. In the back of his brain he vaguely thought he recalled seeing Steven trying to... get away? To circle around for another strike maybe? He wasn't sure. But it sounded like he was alive too, or at least Betel hadn't indicated otherwise... And he was sure he hadn't seen Wes hurt Steven at least.

His gaze returned to Wes for a moment. The Lycanroc's frenzied words ate a pit into Koa's stomach and gnawed at the back of his mind. Digging his paws into the dirt to ground himself, he forced his gaze away. Briefly he considered storming over to demand answers from Seth but exhaustion held him back.

Instead, he limped over to Odette, pausing to take the berry Nova offered and mumbling a 'thanks'. He dropped it in front of her, peering closer. A knot of fear twisted in his gut, accompanied by a flare of anger as he recalled how savagely Wes had struck her down. Was it really his fault though?

"Odette?" his voice cracked a bit in worry and he gently nudged her.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom