• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

How did you find out about this site?

I think I found TCoD through the What Pokemon Are You quiz, poked around the main site from there, and found the forums via the link on the main site. It's definitely been a while.

I think I also found this site though the What Pokémon Are You quiz... iirc Butterfree said that's actually fairly common? I used to do the crosswords and talk about them with one of my irl friends (god I cannot believe this is a thing that I did as a child), started hanging out in the guestbook shortly after, and joined the forums at some point before the 2008 crash but never really used them. I only started posting here regularly when Butterfree posted a site update about the mafia hack and I was like "what, that boring game we used to play in sociology class?" and took a look and it seemed maybe interesting so now here I am!

If I remember correctly, I found this site through Mew's Hangout back when I was ten (summer 2004). I was just discovering Pokémon fan sites, and Mew's Hangout/TES was one of my first along with Suta-Raito. As I went from site to site, I kept seeing links to TCoD everywhere. I almost got annoyed by it, thinking "What's this 'Cave of Dragonflies' thing everyone's talking about?" Everyone kept going on about how great it was. Finally, I clicked the link to see what the fuss was about.

I could write an entire paper all about how much TCoD ended up influencing me. I've even considered doing this. While I haven't done that specifically, one of my most recent writing projects talks about some of the different things that have influenced my writing, and TCoD was one of them. Writing is my number one passion in life, and I doubt I would have gotten as into it as I have without TCoD.

TCoD influenced younger me in all sorts of ways. Including things like using a word I learned on the site in a 5th grade assignment (and the teacher was impressed, even reading it to the class), getting me interested in debating during my AAP days (I used what I learned when I argued with Pokémon haters in real life), and, for a little while, wanting to become a web designer. I never did learn HTML, as my interest shifted away from websites after smartphones changed the Internet so drastically. Yet the interest in writing I had, which TCoD helped with quite a bit, only got stronger.

Long story short, TCoD has helped me find my passion, and I'm very grateful!

I used to go on Eonlight Valley, another fansite which was famous at the time, and was affiliated with TCoD. Clicked the link and here I am (or was, because this happened in 2012 or so). Sadly it's offline now, but TCoD still survives!

I was looking for a list of places to grind in HeartGold and I found the HG/SS Places to Train page. I got bored of grinding tho and then found out out that huh, this person has a list of April Fool's Jokes??? Sounds like a fun read!

And then I got totally sucked into Butterfree's personality and basically scoured her website all night, did the Marquee of Doom which cured my boredom for a good half hour, and then decided after getting in the Hall Of Fame that I wanted to be more immersed in this community and so here I am! (I was also very happy to learn that someone else out there was as much fun as I do recoloring Pokemon sprites, and I am very grateful for the Sprite Generator)

I found out about TCOD from a friend who mentioned some of the quizzes on the site. I clicked the link to see what the quizzes were like. I've been checking out the site since then.

I was trying to make a fake-pokemon. And there was a guide for that on the website. I looked at that, and then some other guides. And then i spent about two weeks doing almost everything on the website.

It's been so long that I don't fully remember how I found TCoD ^^ It may have either been through googling Pokemon things, or from finding Joey and Jolty's Home through googling things and then clicking affiliates. It must have been around 2005, however, as I remember the newest content being a FRLG pre-release minipage that Butterfree made.

I have no recollection of how I came across TCoD either, but I can pin down the date fairly accurately. I discovered Pokémon in summer 2010, and looking at the site updates from that year, the earliest thing I remember is Butterfree adding Play-Asia affiliate links to pre-order Japanese Black and White at the end of July. So that's only a space of about two months in which I could have found the site.

I had already reached the seventh gym in HGSS by the time I got distracted by Professor Layton and the Lost Future getting localised, so I must have been playing through it fairly quickly (by my standards). Maybe I was looking for a gameplay guide?

Very mysterious.

Back
Top Bottom