• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

I finally did the thiiiing

Autumn

bye
Pronoun
she
I haven't been relieved with a video game in a long time ok cut me some slack

So around five years ago I decided it was necessary to unlock everything (or at least all the stages and characters) in Super Smash Bros Melee. Yeah yeah I'm oldschool, why wasn't I playing brawl or waiting for smash 4, etc. Whatever, Melee's my jam. Anyway so I had done a lot of stuff toward that when in late 2011 my now ex-boyfriend accidentally deleted my file. Since then I've had bursts of activity with the game where I play toward certain bonuses/trophies/characters/stages, but they usually don't last more than a couple days at most.

Anyway so sometime this summer I ran across a document on my laptop labeled "super smash stuff" that was a list of all the bonuses and trophies I had yet to unlock. I went for several until the only things I had left to do were mostly single-player bonuses: Target Test under a certain time, Training Mode combos, Adventure Mode beating Giga Bowser and beating on Hard, Classic on Hard, Classic on Very Hard, Home Run Contest in general, 5 KOs in Cruel Melee, and All-Star on Hard. I did these sparingly and outsourced several of them to my Smash-playing friends (my friend's boyfriend beat Classic on Very Hard, for instance) but ultimately I was usually the one to beat the majority of them. Finally, after a struggle, I got down to three trophies needed: one for getting 1485+ feet on Home Run Contest, one for getting 16503+ feet with all characters combined on Home Run Contest, beating Adventure Mode on Hard with no continues.

This was the point at which I worked out a time for my ex-boyfriend to come over and beat them for me, since I was never good at Home Run Contest (whereas he had gotten a record of 1300 feet when I made him do it after he deleted my data), and I was struggling with Adventure Mode. Anyway, he initially agreed but ended up basically saying it was impossible for him to come over and for him to really access my Gamecube at all, so I decided to get determined and do this myself. I managed to get both the Home Run Contest trophies and then started Adventure Mode.

Let me tell you something about Adventure Mode on Hard with no continues in that game: It's a pain in the ass, for me anyway. I play Pikachu and I'm enough of a casual player that I absolutely never use shields, air dodging, or sidestepping, and even though I know all of Pikachu's moves a lot of my aerial attacks are basically button mashing rather than specifically choosing certain aerial attacks to fit the situation. So, dealing with AI that do shield and sidestep sometimes, in addition to having high AI levels and as a result constantly attacking you (which I never end up shielding or anything), means I had one hell of a time not losing all my lives before getting to the end! Specifically, I almost never beat Pokémon Stadium (team battle against several other Pikachu, which was confusing enough for me) without losing a life. Similarly, Captain Falcon almost always cost me a life, the three Nesses on Onett did often, the Ice Climbers did sometimes, the Metal Mario Brothers almost always did, and so did Bowser. Add it all up, along with the random chance that sometimes I'd lose a life on Zelda or Team Kirby, and you get a recipe for life loss. To top it all off, I couldn't easily beat the Peach and Mario/Luigi after the Mushroom Kingdom stage, so I would always reset if I lost a life - which, of course, wasted time.

Let me give you an idea of how miserable this experience was and how much time I wasted. One night, I put on a Youtube playlist of Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky music that lasted six and a half hours. I told myself I'd go to bed when I beat Adventure or the playlist ended, whichever came first. The playlist ended first.

I got up to Bowser a few times, but usually with only one life left, and Final Destination is such a small and uneventful level that even with Pikachu being faster than Bowser I still had trouble figuring out how to rack up damage without risking coming into contact with Bowser's high-knockback attacks.

Then one night I got up to Bowser, and I finally beat him! And you know what happened? I'd learned the tricks of exploiting the AI so quickly in the meantime that I beat him in under 18 minutes and had to fight Giga Bowser. Needless to say, I lost that battle horrifically and had to start over.

But finally, recently, I managed to beat Bowser! I got him off the edge somehow and spammed Pikachu's side smash every time he recovered until he hit the blast zone and died, and I'd taken to waiting at the end of travel levels to waste time, so I didn't have to fight Giga Bowser either. This was a serious relief for me and totally worth posting about in the Laughing Cupboard! I mean, I'm done with all the single-player stuff. The only things I have to do are 1) get 1,000 battles in multiplayer (which will come with time - my friends love Smash); 2) get 5,000 KOs in multiplayer (again, time - the game's at 4,238); 3) see Celebi (which is only unlocked by getting 5,000 KOs), and 4) do 100 Coin Battles (game's at 30). All of these are easy as pie, especially when compared with some of the previous things I had to do, like Cruel Melee and ADVENTURE MODE! So yeah, I'm a happy camper.

Well, well done. I managed to do something similar, but I had the help of two other brothers to do so. It's nothing to your caliber oh mighty smash queen

Smash queen, I wish. If I were a true smash queen I wouldn't have spent six hours floundering on hard mode! Not even very hard, just hard. I'm just dedicated.

Pft, it just means you managed to fine tune your skills after six hours :P

Smash queen, I wish. If I were a true smash queen I wouldn't have spent six hours floundering on hard mode! Not even very hard, just hard. I'm just dedicated.
Most good leaders spend a lot of time floundering. Why, the United States has been doing it for 226 years!

Back
Top Bottom