• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

New Computer!

ignore_this_acct

Pronoun
she
My dad is going to buy me a new computer,But I don't know what I should get. My current pc is crap and very slow and can't even handle most PC games. I'd like a pc that can handle games like spore, is very fast and needs to cost less than $500. It can go over $500 but by only about $10-$20.

I'll give you a cookie if you recommend what kind of pc I should get.
(yes,I know I said I wanted a mac on a different thread but they can't play that many computer games)

Lenovos run pretty cheap and are devoid of most common problems with computers. They very rarely crash, and generally don't slow down over time. (at least not as quickly, although this part is more dependent upon your hard drive) Screen freezes are rare, and the blue screen of death is unheard of.

They very rarely crash, and generally don't slow down over time. (at least not as quickly, although this part is more dependent upon your hard drive)

This is dependent on the operating system, as far as I know. When there are lots of programs being installed and uninstalled, this creates leftover files and junk that can slow your PC down over time. Defragging can help, but eventually your computer will become slow after a few years (unless if you're using Mac or Linux.)

Crapware can also deteriorate your PC. Make sure the one you're buying comes with a fresh disk of the Windows of your choice, as well as an option to clean-install the OS on your machine before buying it. If not, call support and ask them if they can remove the crapware. If they say no, keep on pestering them until they give in. If they don't give up, then move on to another brand.

Also, I recommend you buy a PC from a local store. Big companies like to fill their computers with crap. Local business won't do that, and can build your machine custom-made.

(yes,I know I said I wanted a mac on a different thread but they can't play that many computer games)

Unless if you buy Windows. Vista will run you about $200, although I discourage you from buying that. The Windows 7 RC build is coming out for free on May 5th, and that lasts until mid-2010. The retail version will be out in the fall, and will hopefully be inexpensive. Otherwise, you could buy Crossover for Mac, which can play some Windows games (although I don't know how it'll perform, so don't trust it.)

Regardless, it'll depend on what you need this for. Do you need a fast processor and RAM, a decent-ish graphics card, and an OS that won't kick you in the balls? Then get a Mac. Do you need a PC that's custom-built, can be used for spare parts later on, and run Crysis? Then buy a PC (but prepare for sore balls later on, Vista's a pain in the ass.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom