• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Sojaveña Wilds Northern Badlands

"You want my sword?" Light scattered from the blade as she swung it. "Take it when I'm dead!"

Felin (78 STM, 19 TMP, +0 SPD, +2 ACC, 18 SHD, 0 RAD)
- Hone Claws (-18 STM, +2 TMP)
- **Bonus Action:** SHADOW Focus (+5 TMP)
- CRITICAL SHADOW Aerial Ace @ Fiends (-8 STM, Sure Hit, -20 TMP, +7 TMP, +8 SHD)
Net change: -26 STM, -6 TMP, +8 SHD, +0 RAD
Net totals: 52 STM (78 after regen), 13 TMP, 26 SHD, 0 RAD
(TAKE COVER)

Unsurprisingly, the group of hooligans reacted to their swift assault with a clumsy series of panicked strikes. But Silver fully expected that reaction, and their unfocused attacks collided against his barrier. He shot an unimpressed, if not offended, scowl at the crowd. All that reliance on sheer numbers for such a pitiful result?

Weaklings. Just a bunch of pathetic weaklings, not unlike those idiotic grunts. And he HATED weaklings!

“Tch. Seriously!? Is that all you’ve got?”

He got his answer when a burst of light scorched a good portion of the camp. The now-Sneasel barely had the time to get out of the way, but the gals weren’t as lucky. His anger shimmered down slightly, replaced by surprise.

A sniper. There was a sniper around. That light seemed to come from above, which meant…

“The towers.”

After shooting another scornful glare at the crowd of Impidimp, Silver turned to Felin, who seemed fine despite the hit. “Heh! Well, you’ve heard your new fans! They’re asking for the sequel of your great performance!” he quipped, motioning toward the pink crowd, and gave her a claw-up. “C’mon! Show ‘em what Felin Boots can do!”

Hoping that the ego boost did its job, Silver rushed back to where he came from, straight toward the towers. There was a time and place to teach another good lesson to those punks, but not now… yet!

Silver (57 STM, 18 TMP, +0 SPD, +0 ACC, 0 SHD, 0 RAD)
- Walk to Lookout
- **Bonus Action:** Item (Leppa Berry) (+40 STM)
- Interact @ Climb Tower (-3 TMP)
- Bulk Up (-18 STM, +2 TMP)
Net change: +22 STM, -1 TMP, +0 SHD, +0 RAD
Net totals: 79 STM (105 after regen), 17 TMP, 0 SHD, 0 RAD

Turn 2
Player Phase

The attack came from above – that had to mean this camp's Morgrem was in one of the towers, right? Each Sneasel went for a different tower, guaranteeing one of them would come face to face with the offending caster...

Isidora's STRONG Power-Up Punch dealt 17 damage to Fiends!

Isidora's Spotter Feat: Fiends behaviour

The Fiends are so undisciplined and distractable that a warrior with enough wits can take their minds off the battle considerably. Anything from goading them into a dare, to Calling them and expecting a response, to doing something sufficiently funny (and cruel, naturally) is liable to take their very limited collective attention off of using moves and acts.

Isidora's Interact result:

Isidora found cover in the lookout tower. She spotted Morgrem Morris in the west tower!

Isidora's Ice Shard dealt 12 damage to Morris!

Felin's SHADOW Aerial Ace dealt a CRITICAL 51 damage to Fiends! It's super-effective!

Silver's Interact result:

Silver came face to face with Morris!

"Woah, yikes! Get the hell outta my spot, asshole!"

The Morgrem in the tower had his face largely hidden by excessively long and greasy black hair, even for his species, but Silver would be able to catch a glimpse of an eyepatch and a lip piercing behind it all the same. He raised his hands – gloved in white – and braced his barriers of light against further attacks. It would seem that he'd prepared his defenses!

Meanwhile, on the ground, the Fiends shrieked for Felin's head.

"Ooowwwww!! That HURT!"

"Mob her! Get her! Fry her in a cauldron!"

"That'd be BOILING her, you brainless fuck!"

It seems that Felin has caught the Fiends' attention at this point!

Turn 2
Enemy Phase

The horde's Thief hit everyone!
Silver: 4 dmg! It's NVE...
Felin: 4 dmg!
Isidora: missed!
The horde stole Silver and Felin's Iron Thorns!
The horde's Iron Thorns dealt 12 dmg to Felin and 9 to Silver!
The horde's Fake Out dealt 9 dmg to Felin and 9 to Isidora! They Flinched!

"Go on, show us that circus display again, IDIOT!"

"Your moves are lame! Nyeh, nyeh, nyeh!"

The horde called for an Encore from Felin and Isidora!
The horde inflicted Torment on Felin and Silver!
The horde focused...
Horde Attack: the Impidimp are preparing Thief!

"Don't think your tactics go unnoticed! For I see all!" declared Morris, in a thin, reedy voice. "I won't let you get the slip on me..."

Morris' Frisk! The enemy identified the party's Gear!
Morris' Dazzling Gleam dealt 12 dmg to Silver and 19 to Isidora!
Morris' Knock Off dealt 13 dmg to Silver! Expert Belt was knocked loose!
Morris focused...

Last edited:
Annoying. Their tricks and schemes slowed her done, yet she moved anyway. She arrived to the lookout in a swift blur, eye to eye with Morris.

"Does a snake still move when you cut off its head?" Felin thrust her sword for his neck.

Felin (78 STM, 13 TMP, +0 SPD, +3 ACC, 26 SHD, 0 RAD)
- Walk to Lookout
- Hone Claws (-18 STM, -3 TMP, +2 TMP)
- **Bonus Action:** Item (Iron Thorn) @ Morgrem
- Acrobatics @ Morgrem (-13 STM, -3 TMP, +8 TMP)
Net change: -31 STM, +4 TMP, +0 SHD, +0 RAD
Net totals: 47 STM (73 after regen), 17 TMP, 26 SHD, 0 RAD

The morgrem wasn't in her tower: he was in the one Silver went for. But I was so sure-

Isidora didn't think, she just threw. But she couldn't revel in her Ice Shard landing. The morgrem's attack followed, the horde's jeers seeped into her head, the cold feeling in her chest surged, and she gripped her forehead as she reeled from the hit and tried to fight off the numbness that was invading her mind.

N-no. W-why does it matter that you chose wrong? Because it demonstrated poor judgement. I-it was a coin flip! Just make up for it! As if she could. He's not that strong! You could beat him in a solo fight, and there are three of us! ...The justification felt weak, but it seemed to stave off the feeling, at least for now.

Isidora quickly shoved her hat into her bag. Then jumped off the tower and landed into a roll, into a run for the commander's lookout. Don't overthink. All that matters is beating him.

Isidora (84 STM, 23 TMP, +0 SPD, +0 ACC, 26 SHD, 0 RAD)
- Walk to Main Camp
- **Bonus Action:** Dash to Lookout (-2 TMP)
- Fake Out @ Morris (-17 STM, Sure Hit, -3 TMP, +2 TMP)
- Activate feat (Spotter Feat) @ Morris' gear
- AGILE Ice Shard @ Morris (-7.5 STM, +2 TMP)
- Ice Shard @ Morris (-5 STM, +2 TMP)
- Ice Shard @ Morris (-7.5 STM, +2 TMP)
Net change: -37 STM, +3 TMP, +0 SHD, +0 RAD
Net totals: 47 STM (76 after regen), 26 TMP, 26 SHD, 0 RAD

Last edited:
For every bunch of incompetent grunts there is always a slightly less incompetent admin. Silver was (un)lucky enough to meet him personally, and his eyes secretly wished he didn’t have that honor.

The greasy fur! The uneven length of the strands! And all those split ends!! Seriously, having long hair and not taking adequate care of it should be a crime against good taste!

"Woah, yikes! Get the hell outta my spot, asshole!"

“Hmph! Make me!” he shouted back, raising his claws and getting ready to pounce. “I really wanna see you try!”

But then, the head of an Impidimp popped up. And another. And a dozen! And a dozen of dozens! Before he could even react, Silver found himself surrounded and overwhelmed by a mass of pink gremlins. He got scratched, blinded, and even mugged by that bunch of hooligans! Their sheer number worked somehow, and the thought was so infuriating…

"Don't think your tactics go unnoticed! For I see all!" declared Morris, in a thin, reedy voice. "I won't let you get the slip on me..."

“…You see all, huh!?”

Anger and bitterness mixed together in a deadly blend. Silver glared at the Morgrem, a dangerous red light flashing in his eyes. Black venom dripped from his claws, which seemed to have become even longer and sharper. He was so sick of it! All of it! And he was gonna make it a big mess and their problem!

“Then look closely at this can of whoopass, you unkempt cretin!”

Silver lunged at the admin with a sharp hiss and unloaded swift but powerful slashes of venom and darkness and rage!

Silver (105 STM, 17 TMP, +0 SPD, +0 ACC, 0 SHD, 0 RAD)
- Bulk Up (-18 STM, -3 TMP, +2 TMP)
- STRONG SHADOW Drain Punch @ Morris (-25.5 STM, -3 TMP, +5 TMP, +17 SHD)
- CRITICAL Poison Jab @ Morris (-16 STM, -23 TMP, +3 TMP)
- Interact @ Find Expert Belt (-3 TMP)
Net change: -60 STM, -17 TMP, +17 SHD, +0 RAD
Net totals: 45 STM (71 after regen), 0 TMP, 17 SHD, 0 RAD
(TAKE COVER)

Last edited:
Turn 3
Player Phase

The Wayfarers went straight for the Fiends' lieutenant this time – they'd deal plenty of damage, to be sure, but...

Felin's Iron Thorn was aimed at Morris! The horde took the hit for 26 dmg!
Felin's Acrobatics dealt a grazing 15 dmg to Morris! Bright Powder threw off her aim!

Isidora's Fake Out dealt 10 dmg to Morris! He Flinched!
Isidora's Spotter Feat!
Morris' gear: Bright Powder.
Morris' bag items include 2 Protect Orbs and a Heal Seed.

Isidora's AGILE Ice Shard dealt 10 dmg to Morris!
Isidora's Ice Shard dealt 12 dmg to Morris!
Isidora's Ice Shard dealt 13 dmg to Morris!

Silver's STRONG SHADOW Drain Punch dealt 28 dmg to Morris!
Silver's CRITICAL Poison Jab dealt 44 dmg to Morris!

...the Morgrem was protected by barriers of light. He'd be hard to hit properly without critical hits!

"You're here for me! To get me! Well I won't let you gang up on me," yammered Morris, seemingly unaware of the irony of him being surrounded by a literal gang in much larger numbers than the Wayfarers.

"Tell 'em, boss!"

"Don't tell me what to do!" snapped Morris, his one good eye wide and twitching.

Turn 3
Enemy Phase

Outraged at the Wayfarers going after their boss, the Impidimp scrambled up the lookout towers in significant numbers.

One of them began to sway a little..

The horde's Thief hit everyone!
Silver: 3 dmg! It's NVE...
Felin: 6 dmg!
Isidora: 5 dmg!
The horde stole everyone's Iron Thorns!
The horde's Iron Thorns dealt 11 dmg to Felin and 8 to Silver!
The horde's Fake Out dealt 6 dmg to Silver and 9 to Isidora! Silver Flinched!
The horde called for an Encore from Silver and Isidora!
The horde inflicted Torment on Felin and Isidora!
The horde focused...

Morris shrank back behind his greasy hair, gloves raised, and reinforced his barriers again. Cringing from the Fake Out, he couldn't even muster an attack. It seemed he was more concerned with keeping his guard up than actually dealing damage...

Morris cast Reflect!
Morris cast Light Screen!
Morris is Flinching and can't attack!
Morris focused...
It looks like everyone has the Fiends' attention equally.

The commander couldn't keep guarding forever. No: once a pokémon starts guarding desperately like that, that's a sign that the battle is as good as over. Momentum was on their side. Isidora had to seize that chance now.

She drew more shadow out and rushed him, not letting up for a moment.

1. Isidora
2. Felin
3. Silver
Isidora (76 STM, 26 TMP, +0 SPD, +0 ACC, 26 SHD, 0 RAD)
- Double Team (-9 STM, +2 TMP)
- AGILE Power-Up Punch @ Morris (-21 STM, -3 TMP, +2 TMP)
- Power-Up Punch @ Morris (-14 STM, -3 TMP, +2 TMP)
- Ice Shard @ Morris (-5 STM, -3 TMP, +2 TMP)
- CRITICAL SHADOW Ice Shard @ Morris (-7.5 STM, Sure Hit, -23 TMP, +2 TMP, +5 SHD)
- Activate feat (Spotter Feat) @ Morris' moves
Net change: -57 STM, -17 TMP, +5 SHD, +0 RAD
Net totals: 19 STM (48 after regen), 9 TMP, 31 SHD, 0 RAD
(TAKE COVER)

Last edited:
Once more the impidimp used numbers to their advantage. They pushed Felin to the ground as she stabbed at another, socked her in the face when she tried to stand. No strike brought an ounce of pain. Her eyes did not even point their way. She had one goal. It was...

"Snom shit!" Felin beat the pommel of her sword against her head, focusing returning to her eyes. Pain stabbed at her skull as she grimaced. She spared a glance at the others, fur rising in suspicion of what they might've noticed of her actions.

"Hah, I could use a drink," Felin wielded her sword in a battle ready stance and immediately rushed in. "Let's end this dance, shall we?"

Felin (73 STM, 17 TMP, +0 SPD, +4 ACC, 26 SHD, 0 RAD)
- **Bonus Action:** Focus (+5 TMP, -20 SHD, -20 RAD)
- Acrobatics @ Morris (-13 STM, -3 TMP, +8 TMP)
- Aerial Ace @ Morris (-8 STM, Sure Hit, -3 TMP, +8 TMP)
- CRITICAL Copycat (Poison Jab) @ Morris (-26 STM, -23 TMP, +8 TMP)
Net change: -47 STM, -2 TMP, -20 SHD, +0 RAD
Net totals: 26 STM (52 after regen), 15 TMP, 6 SHD, 0 RAD
(TAKE COVER)

Silver stared hard at the flickering barriers, his body shivering slightly from his adrenaline and empowering darkness. That Morgrem was trying to protect himself… ha, such a pathetic effort!

“Your little tricks won’t protect you…”

He poised himself into his trademark stance, pointing a claw at the leader of the hooligans and smirking defiantly. “And we’re gonna prove it! Right here, right now!”

Propelled by another adrenaline rush, Silver let his predatory instincts take over and followed the lead of his battle partners, joining them in a coordinated attack of darkness, claws and blades.

Silver (71 STM, 0 TMP, +0 SPD, +0 ACC, 17 SHD, 0 RAD)
- SHADOW Drain Punch @ Morris (-17 STM, -3 TMP, +3 TMP, +17 SHD)
- Bulk Up (-18 STM, -3 TMP, +2 TMP)
- STRONG Poison Jab @ Morris (-24 STM, -3 TMP, +5 TMP)
Net change: -59 STM, +6 TMP, +17 SHD, +0 RAD
Net totals: 12 STM (38 after regen), 6 TMP, 34 SHD, 0 RAD
(TAKE COVER)

Turn 4
Player Phase

Morris' mooks, evasion, and barriers were not enough to spare him from fainting under a relentless assault by the trio of part-time bounty hunters.

Isidora's AGILE Power-Up Punch was aimed at Morris, but dealt 12 dmg to the horde!
Isidora's Power-Up Punch dealt a grazing 6 dmg to Morris!
Isidora's Ice Shard dealt 15 dmg to Morris!
Isidora's CRITICAL SHADOW Ice Shard dealt 40 dmg to Morris!

Felin's Acrobatics dealt 14 dmg to Morris!
Felin's Aerial Ace dealt 18 dmg to Morris!
Felin's CRITICAL Copycat Poison Jab dealt 47 dmg to Morris!

Silver's SHADOW Drain Punch dealt 19 dmg to Morris!
Silver's STRONG Poison Jab dealt 37 dmg to Morris! KO!!

Down he went, with a thud and a "Fuck!" and a cry of alarm from the Impidimp goons – who rapidly made themselves scarce.

The team had taken out about half a dozen lesser Fiends, just as the last squad had. The rest escaped, no doubt to reinforce the other camps in ever-greater numbers...

"Wh-what now?" stammered Morris, as he woozily recovered consciousness. "You gonna kill me? You gonna put the screws to me? Well, I ain't talkin'! I won't say nothin'! 'Less, uh, you maybe wanna let me go...? I'll drop the other bosses in it if I gotta, those guys are already out to get me anyways."

The Morgrem was becoming slightly manic, his one eye twitching like a mad 'mon's. Whether he proved useful or not, that was another bounty cleared, and another Fiends leader who couldn't conduct raids on north Soja's towns.

✅ Mission Complete!

<><><><><>​

Last edited:
[Ch04] ~ Party with a Hundred Fiends (Round 3)
Each mission to apprehend more Fiends got a little smoother, a little faster. Sure, plenty of Fiends escaped each time to join other camps, but that just made those camps easier to find.

There is yet another cluster of Impidimp nearby, everyone. As they consolidate into larger groups, it is becoming easier to detect them at range. I wish you great success, heroic spirits!

If Ridley needed to fight, then he might as well try to make some money at the same time... even if the idea of playing bounty hunter struck him as somewhat comedic.

The camp was strewn with spiked hazards, lying in wait to be trodden underfoot by an unwary intruder. Ridley gathered up some of these spikes as he moved into the camp, redistributing them in places where they'd hopefully hinder the Fiends more than the Wayfarers.

"All right then," he muttered to himself. "Let's do this."

Ridley (115 STM, 5 TMP, +0 SPD, +0 ACC, 20 SHD, 0 RAD)
- Walk to Main Camp
- Toxic Spikes (-23 STM, +2 TMP)
- **Act:** Item (Iron Thorn) @ Horde
- Baby-Doll Eyes @ Horde (-10 STM, +2 TMP)
- Play Rough @ Horde (-16 STM, hit, -2 TMP, +2 TMP)
- Interact @ check tent (-3 TMP)
Net change: -49 STM, +1 TMP, +10 SHD, +0 RAD
Net totals: 66 STM (94 after regen), 6 TMP, 30 SHD, 0 RAD

Last edited:
This was a chance to do one good thing, and he refused to mess it up.

Take out a gang of troublemakers, and bring them in.

"I'll take the tower!" he called, as he readied an attack. He'd been working on some new techniques he wanted to try.

```Koa (99 STM, 5 TMP, +0 SPD, +0 ACC, 0 SHD, 0 RAD)
- **Act:** Focus (+5 TMP, -20 SHD, -20 RAD)
- Howl (-18 STM, +2 TMP)
- Dire Claw @ Fiends (-30 STM, +3 TMP)
- Slash @ Fiends (-13 STM, +3 TMP)
- Interact @ Climb Watchtower (-3 TMP)
Net change: -61 STM, +10 TMP, +0 SHD, +0 RAD
Net totals: 38 STM (62 after regen), 15 TMP, 0 SHD, 0 RAD
(TAKE COVER)```

Last edited:
After seeing everything the Ranger HQ had fit inside that canyon, it probably shouldn't've been surprising that lots of different Fiend outposts could be stuffed into this Hoodoo Tangle place. Hadn't been too hard to find the exact spot, thankfully; just follow the sound of a billion little goblin voices jabbering away, can't miss it, right?

"Archie says they're likely to scatter if we catch their boss," Leaf said quietly, just before they got within earshot. "Oughta take out as many as we can off the bat, just in case." She gave the camp a quick once-over from where they stood. No sign of any morgrem just yet. Or any anything that wasn't the aftermath of a tornado juggling some overflowing garbage cans and also impidimp all around the place. Had to be waiting somewhere in there, though...

Only one way to find exactly where, of course. She lowered her horn at the back of the closest group of Fiends, pawed the ground for good measure because it seemed like the western-y thing to do, and threw herself into a charge.

(The concept of heroically rounding up a gang of rowdy bandits had admittedly lost just a bit of its luster after the incidents with Sonora and the Wolf. Between what Archie'd heard from nearby towns and the Fiends themselves, though, it sounded like these guys, at least, really were out here causing all the trouble the posters claimed they were. So it was fine, then! Things were gonna be fine.)

Leaf (108 STM, 5 TMP, +0 SPD, +0 ACC, 0 SHD, 0 RAD)
- Protect (-18 STM, +2 TMP)
- **Act:** SHADOW Focus (+5 TMP)
- SHADOW Trailblaze @ Fiends (-15 STM, +3 TMP, +15 SHD)
- Dash to Loot Pile (-2 TMP)
- AGILE Pay Day @ Fiends (-9 STM, +4 TMP)
- Pay Day @ Fiends (-6 STM, +4 TMP)
- Interact @ Check tent (-3 TMP)
Net change: -48 STM, +13 TMP, +15 SHD, +0 RAD
Net totals: 60 STM (87 after regen), 18 TMP, 15 SHD, 0 RAD

- Koa
- Odette
- Ridley
- Leaf

Last edited:
[[Flavor TBA]]

Odette (92 STM, 5 TMP, +0 SPD, +0 ACC, 0 SHD, 0 RAD)
  • Walk to Main Camp
  • Tidy Up (-22 STM, +2 TMP)
  • STRONG Play Rough @ Fiends (-24 STM, Sure Hit, +4 TMP)
  • Poison Fang @ Fiends (-15 STM, effect, -5 TMP, +2 TMP)
  • Spotter Feat: Fiend Ability(?)
Net change: -61 STM, +3 TMP, +0 SHD, +0 RADNet totals: 31 STM (54 after regen), 8 TMP, 0 SHD, 0 RAD

Turn 1
Player Phase

And so the fight broke out, the Wayfarers once again taking the Fiends more or less by surprise. Of course they still had lookouts and had laid traps, but all that meant was that the goblins in the camp were complacent, still not having learnt their lesson about keeping proper watch for bounty hunters. There was only so much one could expect from a rabble like this lot!

Koa's Dire Claw dealt 37 damage to Fiends!
Koa's Slash dealt 20 damage to Fiends!
Koa climbed the watchtower. He found Additional Goblins. He has the high ground for ranged attacks!

Odette evaded the pointed rocks and sharp spikes!
Odette cleared the entry hazards away.
Odette's STRONG Play Rough dealt 39 damage to Fiends! Inflicted -1 Atk!
Odette's Poison Fang dealt 18 damage to Fiends!
Odette's Spotter Feat: the horde of Impidimp have Prankster!

Ridley deployed Toxic Spikes!
Ridley's Iron Thorn dealt 9 dmg to the horde!
Ridley's Baby-Doll Eyes lowered the horde's Atk! -1!
Ridley's Play Rough dealt 24 damage to Horde!
Ridley checked the tent. He found Additional Goblins.

Leaf's Pastel Veil protected her from toxic spikes!
Leaf's SHADOW Trailblaze dealt 17 damage to Fiends! +1 Spd!
Leaf's AGILE Pay Day dealt 8 damage to Fiends!
Leaf's Pay Day dealt 9 damage to Fiends!
The Fiends scrambled for coin! They're distracted!
Leaf checked the tent. She found Additional Goblins.

Last edited:
Turn 1
Enemy Phase

The Fiends were already in disarray. The squad had taken out several of them in the first minutes of the fight, and they were crammed into the camp tightly as it was. Still, even falling over each other, they got off various attacks and jeering goads.

"Betcha you slick southern wimps can't get all of us!"

"Jim, I'm from south Soja'!"

"Ah, darn, sorry Carlos. That was prejudiced of me."

"Get a tent, you two!"

The horde's Fake Out dealt 5 dmg to Koa! He Flinched!
The horde's Thief hit Odette and Ridley!
Odette: 4 dmg!
Ridley: Disguise Broken!
The horde stole Iron Thorns!
The horde called for an Encore from Odette and Ridley!
The horde inflicted Torment on Odette and Ridley!
The horde was too distracted by loose coin to take additional actions...

"Aargh! Where's the boss! We need help!"

"Shuddup! Can't y'see I'm tryin' ta get all this goddamn money??"

A hidden unit took several actions...

"Keep fightin' the intruders, shit-fer-brains!"

"Dibs on that livin' cleffa doll!"

It seems like everyone has the Fiends' attention roughly equally.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom