• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Frontier Town Old Town

"Kinda like how we were summoned here," Nova said. He drew small circles around a bigger one. "My world's not stable. The mystery dungeons in it bridge to nearby worlds. To towns and cities with people in them." Nova drew lines connecting the big ones to smaller ones. "Left alone, the dungeon energy would ripple across those worlds and throw things out of balance." He drew an X through one circle. "Maybe all the type relationships invert. Or maybe the humans all grow fur or the fish sprout wings and fly out of the oceans. That kinda stuff."

The other part... Nova wasn't sure if Lyle was trying to bait him or what. "I've told enough Wayfarers of the less than savory things I've done." He shook his head. "It's not something anyone ought to hear. I'm just trying to do a bit of good for Forlas with whatever time I have here."

"Kinda like how we were summoned here," Nova said. He drew small circles around a bigger one. "My world's not stable. The mystery dungeons in it bridge to nearby worlds. To towns and cities with people in them." Nova drew lines connecting the big ones to smaller ones. "Left alone, the dungeon energy would ripple across those worlds and throw things out of balance." He drew an X through one circle. "Maybe all the type relationships invert. Or maybe the humans all grow fur or the fish sprout wings and fly out of the oceans. That kinda stuff."

Lyle briefly did a double-take at Nova's explanation. Such worlds actually existed out there? Those sounded a bit too strange to be true even in light of knowing how different some of the others' worlds of origin were.

But at the same time, the way Nova said things didn't sound at all like he was joking. It probably didn't do any good to worry about things that affected entire worlds. He couldn't control that any more than he could whether or not his hometown was leveled by the gods again, but something still pricked at his curiosity.

"You... kinda lost me there for a bit. But if that's really all true, why is your world so unstable?" he asked. He briefly trailed off, before something that Nova had brought up earlier crossed his mind.

"Does... it have something to do with the way that your world doesn't have gods? Or at least not ones that can create things?"

The other part... Nova wasn't sure if Lyle was trying to bait him or what. "I've told enough Wayfarers of the less than savory things I've done." He shook his head. "It's not something anyone ought to hear. I'm just trying to do a bit of good for Forlas with whatever time I have here."

There was clearly more behind Nova's answer than he was letting on. Still, Lyle gathered enough between the lines that the Silvally didn't particularly want to talk about it. Perhaps it was just best to let the matter lie and move onto other topics.

"I... suppose that that's fair enough," the Cyndaquil said. "Though you sure sound like you've grown attached to this place fast. Does it remind you of anywhere from your home?"

"Soja's a desert. I've wandered around plenty of deserts." Nova shrugged. "It's much... humbler than most places back home. In some ways that makes it more relaxing." Or, at least, it grounded him a bit. "I'm 'attached' because I'm free here. That won't be the case anymore once we're all forced back home."

"Soja's a desert. I've wandered around plenty of deserts." Nova shrugged. "It's much... humbler than most places back home. In some ways that makes it more relaxing." Or, at least, it grounded him a bit. "I'm 'attached' because I'm free here. That won't be the case anymore once we're all forced back home."

Lyle briefly felt fire flicker over his vents and looked back wordlessly for a moment. Nova wouldn't be free after going home? As in he was being held prisoner back in his own world? He was surprised to hear that one, since even in his unevolved form, Nova looked like a really strong Pokémon.

That must've been some enemy of his who was taking away his freedom back in his world. One that sounded way out of the league of just about everyone he could think of from the Wayfarers aside from maybe Mhynt.

"I... suppose I can understand where you're coming from," he said. "From what I can remember from right before coming to Forlas, I'm pretty sure that when I wake up back in my world, I won't be a free 'mon myself."

He turned back towards the shrine and gazed at it as the sunset washed it in burnt tones from the background.

"I... guess that I should be taking my time here less for granted," he said. "Have you found any places around here that you've grown fond of? Maybe I'll visit it sometime."

"Places?" Nova shook his head. "I'm just... trying to get comfortable being indoors. Or around people as myself again in general.

"What does 'not free' look like for you? Because something tells me we have very different definitions of what that entails."

"Places?" Nova shook his head. "I'm just... trying to get comfortable being indoors. Or around people as myself again in general.

"What does 'not free' look like for you? Because something tells me we have very different definitions of what that entails."

"... Being locked up in a cell and being about to be sent to forced labor or a penal unit in an army?" the Cyndaquil asked. "Why, just what did you mean by not being 'free', then?"

Just the typical physical imprisonment, then.

"Not a good situation by any means, but at least you know your thoughts and beliefs are still your own," Nova said. "You can make tiny choices here and there. Maybe even escape if you play your cards right."

He drew a little mote in the dirt. Almost like a flame. "Shadow pokémon don't have that luxury. When Powehi said their souls are closed off, he meant it." Nova drew a large X through the mote. "Your body isn't your own. You're like a prisoner watching everything unfold around you. Powerless to do anything to stop yourself. And other people's words of encouragement don't help back home like they do here."

Nova rubbed away his drawing. "That's what's waiting for me back home. So, might as well try to help people on Forlas." His expression softened. "Even the knowledge I helped a little bit is enough for this me to 'die' happy."

Nova rubbed away his drawing. "That's what's waiting for me back home. So, might as well try to help people on Forlas." His expression softened. "Even the knowledge I helped a little bit is enough for this me to 'die' happy."

Gods, he thought he had things rough. He wasn't sure where on earth he was even supposed to start with replying to that one.

"I... mean, at least it's possible that someone could help you back in your own world, right?" he asked. "Isn't that what we're doing with the Shadow Pokémon here in Forlas?"

He trailed off, before looking aside.

"I dunno, maybe I'm getting your hopes up over nothing since your world sure sounds different from mine," he murmured. "I probably won't be around here for a while starting tomorrow, but if it'll really make you happy to make a difference while you're here... I wouldn't mind trying to help you with that when I'm back."

"Leaving?" Nova tilted his head. There were a few groups trying to do things with regards to getting resources for dealing with Cipher, right? "Joining some of the others in trying to prep for fighting Cipher, then?"

"Leaving?" Nova tilted his head. There were a few groups trying to do things with regards to getting resources for dealing with Cipher, right? "Joining some of the others in trying to prep for fighting Cipher, then?"

"I... admittedly have been a bit out of the loop for what's going on with that, but the expedition I'm a part of was planning on stopping at some Abbey that might have a way of getting us some sort of power called 'Radiance' that will help against shadows," he said. "That ought to make a difference, right?"

A part of him honestly felt a bit guilty that this was all that he could say back to Nova, but in the end, he wasn't really sure if he wanted to get sucked up in that mess. Especially while he was still stuck in this little Cyndaquil body.

Maybe he'd feel a bit differently once he had a bit more strength to throw around again.

"Though what do I know?" he sighed. "With the way things are going, maybe I'll find myself fighting alongside you again sooner than I think."

So, Lyle was heading for the Abbey, was he? "Admittedly I am curious about the place." Monks could potentially offer Nova some more peace of mind, after all. "But there are loose ends related to the Wolf I have to tie up, so I can't go.

"But hey, least I know when a baguette walks into town next week that you'll have evolved." Nova chuckled to himself.

So, Lyle was heading for the Abbey, was he? "Admittedly I am curious about the place." Monks could potentially offer Nova some more peace of mind, after all. "But there are loose ends related to the Wolf I have to tie up, so I can't go.

"But hey, least I know when a baguette walks into town next week that you'll have evolved." Nova chuckled to himself.

Lyle reflexively stiffened up and his vents came alight-

"B-Baguette?! But Quilava aren't anything like...!"

Well, he supposed they were both long, and warm, and- dammit, he was going to have that comparison stuck in his head now, wasn't he? Lyle noticed that the sun was starting to dip past the shrine and the square had gotten noticeably darker. Probably a sign that he should go and get his affairs in order.

"But I understand if you've got business of your own to take care of, and I should get going myself," he said. "I'll be looking forward to crossing paths with you again, and... maybe next time I'll be able to do more to help you make that difference."

Lyle's memories faded out as the surrounding path returned to his attention. He couldn't do anything about Nova's 'Wolf', but even if it was from afar, maybe this 'Radiance' out there at the Abbey would be able to help him after all.

After all, if any of them were really going to make a difference in this world, they were going to need all the help they could get.

<><><>

Last edited:
Ch04: Humans In Mustelid Fur [Archie & Silver]
Market day had finally arrived! Vendors and customers of all species gathered by the much busier street, trading goods of all kinds and coming from all places.

Despite not being entirely comfortable in crowded places, Silver decided to check out the various stalls in search of potential supplies at an affordable price. The day of the expedition was getting closer and closer, and the now-Sneasel wanted to make sure to be fully prepared for every potential setback and circumstance.

In his near mindless wandering, he found a stall that sold stuff toys of many shapes, and one of them was in the shape of a Ralts. And somehow, against his own expectations, a faint memory resurfaced once more…

Corey’s Farewell said:
"...Yeah... Good work guys... You're gonna be alright..." he said with as much energy as he could muster before the light completely engulfed him and, in an instant, it was gone... and the ralts along with it, sent back to his world, his part in this story finished.

Everything had happened so fast. In mere seconds, it shifted from the Blast Seed grenade knocking Valere unconscious — with that blast almost knocking him off the tower while climbing down — and the next moment Corey was enveloped in a mystical glow and just… poof. Disappeared through the aether.

Silver sighed and tapped the doll, feeling the soft fabric brushing his fur. ‘I couldn’t even say goodbye…’

It’s not like Corey would have even remembered any of it, of course. But maybe, just maybe, he would have known for one final moment that there was someone else who understood what kinda internal struggles he was going through. Someone who was still looking for something — an achievement, maybe? — to claim as his own.

‘Well, it’s not like thinking about that can help now,’ he reasoned with himself, shaking his head and pulling away from the stall. ‘Besides, it might’ve been for the best, and he probably left this world without too many regrets.’

As such, Silver turned tails to leave… only to see a familiar Oshawott not too far from him. Archie, wasn’t it? And thinking about that… didn’t he often see Corey hanging out with that Oshawott and Tarahn?

Silver quirked an eyebrow. ‘Well, either that’s some kinda cosmic sign or some twisted and awkward coincidence.’ He dismissed the thought with a shrug and approached the Oshawott. Might as well take that chance to get to know each other a bit more. “Hey there! How’re you doing?”

Little Scriven, if he understood properly, was about a day or so march from Frontier Town. They’d be able to resupply in town before moving on to the local Mystery Dungeon, so he’d be able to pack light. A few salted meats, some berries, maybe a new canteen, practical things for a practical adventurer! Or at least, that had been the original plan. Unfortunately for Archie, the street vendors were out in force today. So there went his carefully laid plan, right out the window.

He’d been bouncing from stall to stall for the better part of an hour now. Somewhere along the line, he’d gotten the thought into his head that he should buy something nice for Nova. They were treating his de-masking as a birthday of sorts, so a present seemed appropriate. Only, he actually had no idea what kind of gift he could even buy for the Graydian. The Oshawott had eventually settled on some kind of treat, now that Nova could actually taste things, so, now it was just a matter of finding something suitably, well… Actually, he didn’t know exactly how to describe it. That was part of the problem!

So, suffice to say, he was getting frustrated. After giving up on several other potential treats, he’d come across a baker’s stall, and was scrutinizing what appeared to be a cross between a cookie and a dinner roll when a Sneasel appeared to provide a welcome distraction from his plight. The Oshawott actually had to do a double take. The last time he’d seen Silver, he’d been dressed up rather formally, and the time before that they’d been fighting dragons, so he didn’t actually have much of an idea of what ‘casual’ looked like for the Sneasel!

“Oh, Silver, hello!” he said, before holding the baked good out for his fellow mustelid, “Have you ever heard of a ‘Poffin’?”

Silver stared at the extended pastry for a good couple of seconds, then at Archie, then again at the pastry. Slowly, almost hesitantly, he reached out for the offered food and held it gingerly between his claws. The now-Sneasel might have slightly loosened his guard around people, at least compared to three years ago, but he still felt fuzzy and strange whenever someone did something nice for him.

“Um, thank you…” he muttered shyly, glancing back at Archie and a thin smile of appreciation adorning his face. He brought the pastry close to his muzzle and sniffed it, and his eyes began sparkling as the delightful scent tickled his senses. “Poffin…?”

The glimpse of emotional vulnerability was fleeting, however, and Silver’s attitude defaulted to his usual aloof demeanor.

“Oh! Y-yeah, I’ve heard of ‘em! They’re a popular treat in a region called Sinnoh, if I’m not mistaken. Never been there, though, so I never got the chance of trying one out.” He dug his claws into the small treat to test its texture, then focused on the bunch of similarly looking pastries in Archie’s paws. “You’ve got plenty of these. Wanted to satisfy some craving of sugary stuff?”

Silver’s mannerisms occasionally reminded Archie of a wild Pokemon, still skittish around humans. He found himself holding very still as the Sneasel first studied, and then gingerly took, the pastry, as if any sudden movement on the Oshawott’s part might spook his fellow mustelid. Old habits died hard, he supposed. And Silver definitely seemed to appreciate the treat.

He shook his head, looking down at the rest of the poffins, “No, I… Actually prefer things a bit more tart. See, Nova got his mask off recently, so I was going to treat him to dinner to celebrate since he can, you know, actually taste things again. Thought maybe I could get him a nice treat to go with it, but there’s so many varieties of these things I don’t really know where to start. And a lot of this more advanced cooking stuff doesn’t really exist in my world, so it’s not like I have the most refined palate to begin with...”

He leaned back on his heels, picking out another one of the pastries and giving it an experimental sniff of his own. “Actually, I think Wes has a bit of a sweet tooth? Maybe he’d like one…”

Sinnoh definitely sounded familiar, somehow, but he couldn’t quite place it. Presumably the region existed in his original world, and that’s what he was half remembering. He shook his head again, lowered the poffin, and focused his attention back on Silver. “Doing some shopping yourself? Market days like this were more my partner’s wheelhouse back home, I… Kinda get a little overwhelmed.”

When Archie resumed talking, Silver almost had to do a double-take. He gawked at the Oshawott, dumbfounded. “Huh?! Hold on! Nova’s mask is gone?”

How? When did that happen? That blasted thing seemed impervious to all attempts at removal, and yet… Well! Whatever! It was gone, and that was good news, wasn’t it? Silver’s smile brightened slightly and his tail spread out its feathers — a sign of relief.

“Oh. Wow! That mask looked awfully uncomfortable, so I’m glad for him! I’ll have to give my congratulations whenever I’ll get the chance.

“As for dinner, hmm…” Silver began tapping his chin in deep thought, his mind going into troubleshooting mode. “Nova doesn’t strike me as someone who’s much interested in fancy stuff. He’s more… humble, we could say, and I know that enclosed places aren’t really for him. So maybe… some homemade food in a quiet place with a nice view could be a good experience for him? Y’know, kinda like a picnic?” He nodded to himself and grinned at Archie. “I bet he’d appreciate that more than some garish restaurant!”

Having given his own opinion on the matter, Silver nibbled at the Poffin in his paws. While he preferred savory food, he had to admit that the pastry didn’t taste half bad. It was only a bit dry, but maybe he could complement it with some nightshade tea.

“Gotta agree with you, though. About market day. It isn’t exactly my favorite type of day, either,” commented Silver, glancing at the various stalls with a frown. “Too many people. Too many noises. Too much input all at once.” He let out a quiet sigh. “The only reason I’m here it’s because I wanna get everything needed for the expedition in the Obstinea Range. It’s a long journey, and who knows what we’ll find on the way? Wanna make sure to be adequately prepared for everything, even potential setbacks.”

The Oshawott nodded, “Leaf and I watched it fall to pieces the other morning. I… Get the feeling the last hurdle was mental? You should see him now, though. Got bigger and more colorful too.”

It definitely seemed like the Graydian had undergone a friendship evolution, like an Eevee might. He… Didn’t think he was misreading the situation, at least? Nova had mentioned he was undergoing training in friendship, and had even gone so far as to stuff himself into a Luxury Ball to hasten it. Which, like Silver said, Nova didn’t really care for enclosed spaces. What was more enclosed than a Pokeball? Just went to show how desperate he’d been to get rid of that mask.

“You’re probably right,” he sighed, folding his arms, “But I’m really not much of a chef.”

It wasn’t that he didn’t have any cooking experience – back home, everyone was required to take turns in the mess. But, the ingredients and cooking methods available back home were… Quite a bit less sophisticated. Maybe he could grab something to go? Or maybe if he begged hard enough the Maus would be willing to help walk him through preparing something? Well, he’d have more time to think on it after coming back from Little Scriven… Oh right, wasn’t he originally supposed to be…

“That reminds me, I actually meant to be gathering supplies too!” he said, “I’m heading up to Little Scriven, to investigate a nearby Mystery Dungeon. It’s about a day’s walk I hear, wanted to make sure I brought enough travel rations and water.”

Silver took in everything the Oshawott told him, making many mental notes to check on Nova when he returned from his expedition. There was plenty he needed to catch up, it sounded like. If only he had enough time for everything…

However, that didn’t mean he couldn’t have some time later.

“I… could probably help. With cooking, I mean,” he offered meekly, looking away while rubbing his neck. For some reason, his gaze had become suddenly forlorn. “I, huh, I had to spend many months fending by myself, back in my world. So I’ve learned how to prepare some simple dishes. Money, well, was always tight, so I couldn’t afford expensive meals too often. Most of my budget went to food for… my Pokémon partners.”

With a quick shake of his head, Silver cleared away his nostalgic slump and flashed another confident smirk. He really didn’t want to bring down the mood, so he forced himself to not think about his past and focus only on the present.

“Besides, hey! Look at me! I’ve got freaking blades in my hands! Cutting some noodles, meat or veggies would be easy as pie for me!” He wiggled his claws meaningfully, before crossing his arms and gazing again at the stalls. “Anyway! If you’re looking for supplies, then… how ‘bout checking out the stalls together?” He winked and grinned a bit wider. “I bet the experience would be far less overwhelming in good company, huh?”

Oh, so Silver had done the whole wandering trainer thing, too, had he? Only, sounded like he had a pretty tough time of it. Well, good on him for sticking out rather than giving up and going home! And the skills he would’ve developed on his travels were probably broadly similar to the Oshawott’s own, honed from his time spent adventuring! Still, he studied the Sneasel’s claws a little dubiously. They were certainly sharp, but how was his manual dexterity? Sure, they could all pick things up and manipulate them to some extent mentally, but how did that compare to actually having an actual paw with digits? Well, he didn’t want to seem rude.

“I appreciate the offer,” he said instead, with a nod, “Maybe between the two of us we can come up with something decent.”

He selected a few of the poffins out of the assortment he’d collected, and paid for them as well as the one Silver had eaten. He’d probably hand one to Wes, and give the rest to Nova. Hopefully there’d be at least one in the assortment the Graydian would like. He figured at the very least, none of them would taste like rocks! That done, he shot Silver a grin.

“Sure, shopping’s always easier with a companion,” he nodded, “You said you’re heading up into the mountains, right? I’m not sure how cold it gets there, but you should pack some Aspear berries just in case. How’s your flask? You should try to get one with a decently sized opening. If you dice up the berries and mix them in, the natural juices will mix with the water. Brings about a similar effect to eating the berry itself, plus, uh, I tend to find it improves the taste.”

Aspear berries were naturally warming, and would definitely take the bite out of the cold mountain air. Plus, they had a sour, citrusy taste to them, which actually made them a personal favorite of the Oshawott’s… On the other hand, Silver was a Sneasel, and Sneasel were Ice Types. So maybe the cold wouldn’t be much of a concern for him? Well, the advice was just as good if you substituted in Rawst berries in a desert environment instead of Aspears in the mountains.

Back
Top Bottom