• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

[OOC] TCG Tournament: Pokemon-ex

Sunnybeam

Introspective Cherrim
A New Pokemon World

Across the reaches of reality, there are several Pokemon worlds. One, though, stands out from the rest; a world that manifests itself in ours as a card game.

In this world, a substance called Energy is the greatest power in existence. It is the lifeblood of the planet, forming in nature as a crystalline structure that embodies the elements; Fire, Water, Earth, Steel, Darkness, Electricity, Mind, and Essence. When animals come into contact with Energy for many generations, they undergo Primary Evolution, slowly transforming into Pokemon. Because of this, Energy-rich regions are rich in Pokemon as well, to the point where they outnumber regular animals.

Energy and Energy-charged objects and organisms can be stored within a device called an enconn. Each enconn used in League play has 52 'units', or spaces to store Pokemon, Energy, items, Stadium programs, or Support programs. Enconns with fewer and more units are produced, but cannot be used in League battles. They come in all shapes, sizes, styles, and colors, and are produced with many functions by different companies.

Pokemon Trainers wield the enconn, capturing and battling with the creatures called Pokemon. Some Trainers form special bonds with their Pokemon, and go into a line of work that suits both themselves and their trusted partner. Some entrust their enconn and Pokemon team to an aspiring Trainer when they feel it is time to retire from the business. Some enter the Pokemon industry, working with the creatures every day.

But some are not so scrupulous. There are those who would seek to manipulate the Pokemon and the Energy they were born from, out of sheer greed for money and power. Some would be so bold to even attempt to subdue the most powerful Pokemon; the Pokemon born with such power over the Energy in their environment that their removal could destroy all life for miles; the Pokemon called gods by their own kin...

Pokemon-ex.​

Premises and Mechanics

Please read the information on battles, so as not to be left in the dark during the RP.​

Useable Units

Pokemon - Are just that. A Pokemon unit can be either a Basic Pokemon or an evolved Pokemon (see section on Evolution for details). Any Pokemon card in the TCG is valid as a Pokemon unit in the RP, with the exception of 'variants' such as ___'s Pokemon, Dark Pokemon, Light Pokemon, Shining Pokemon, Pokemon-ex, Pokemon-Star, Delta Species Pokemon, and Pokemon-LevelX.

Energy - In the wild, Pokemon are linked to the flow of Energy in their environment. When Trained, though, they must be supplied with Energy by their Trainer in order to attack. Before loaded into an enconn, processed Energy (the kind bought in stores) looks like one-inch-wide marbles in different colors (depending on the element). Any Energy card in the TCG is valid as an Energy unit in the RP.

Items - Items come in two kinds; Equip Items (example), which are held by a Pokemon and have lasting effects, and Useable Items (example) which are used once and sent to the Charge Bank.

Stadium Programs - Create an Energy-charged field hologram with an effect on the battle. (example)

Support Programs - Other units with effects on the battle. (example) (example)

Enconn Terms

Call Bank - (Deck) The enconn's deep storage, where all units go outside of battle. A standard enconn has a 52-unit Call Bank.

Action Bank - (Hand) In battle mode, a temporary Action Bank is opened. Units must be moved from the Call Bank to the Action Bank in order to be accessed for use. In official League battles, the enconn is configured to dispense one random unit into the Action Bank at regular intervals, to ensure a fair battle. Outside of the League (such as in the wild), Trainers have full control over unit movement.

Charge Bank - (Discard) Once used, units must be charged before they can be used again. A unit sent to the Charge Bank cannot recharge during battle, so a single unit is only useful once in a single match. Charging takes approximately five minutes out of Battle Mode.

Battle Mode - In Battle Mode, the enconn is able to apply Units to Pokemon. This comes with the restriction of being able to support only one active attacking Pokemon at a time, and not being able to recharge used Units. As the name states, this mode is used for battles.

Standby Mode - In Standby Mode, the enconn cannot apply Energy, Items, Stadium Programs, or Support Programs. However, Units can recharge, and the enconn can manage as many Pokemon as the Trainer wishes. This mode is ideal for non-battle situations, such as traveling beside one's Pokemon, or for loading Units into the enconn.

Pokemon

Lead Pokemon - (Active) The Pokemon that is currently fighting. It is the only Pokemon capable of attacking.

Defense Pokemon - (Bench) The enconn is not capable of supporting more than one fully active Pokemon at a time. It can, however, manage five Defense Pokemon in addition to one lead Pokemon. These Pokemon can evolve, gain energy, use non-attacking abilities, and have items and support programs used on them - in short, do everything but attack. They appear as semi-transparent, "ghostly" forms and cannot stray over two yards from the enconn they are linked to.

Attacks - Each Pokemon species has unique attacks, each with a minimum required amount of energy. Your Pokemon can use attacks from cards of that species, or attacks that you have invented yourself (but they must be reasonable, e.g. no powerplaying.)

Evolution - In order for a Pokemon to evolve, you must have both the lower and higher forms of that Pokemon and combine them to create an evolution. The evolution is a seperate entity from its basic form; it acts as an outer shell while the lower form goes dormant. So while a Trainer may have a loyal Larvitar, his Pupitar might be unruly, and his Tyranitar might want to eat him for dinner.

Capture - To obtain Pokemon, a Trainer must capture them in the wild. Capture is performed by first weakening the Pokemon, as with a Pokeball in the games or anime. After the Pokemon is subdued, a command on the enconn enables the Trainer to load it as one unit. The Pokemon must stay within a radius of approximately five feet (varies depending upon the enconn strength) for a certain amount of time to allow the enconn to load it. The stronger the Pokemon, the more Energy it has and the longer it must stay within the radius.

All other mechanics are as they are in the Pokemon TCG.

------------------

PLOT

The news spreads quickly - there is to be a Pokemon League Tournament! In Mauville City, the very heart of Hoenn, Trainers from around the world will gather to display their prowess in a series of Pokemon battles. And for the week before the main event, the streets of Mauville will turn into a Pokemon enthusiast's dream; specialized competitions, parades, performances, Unit vendors...

And you, a Pokemon Trainer among thousands, are hopelessly beguiled. You will attend the festival and tournament, and show the world what you and your team are made of!

But little do you know that a plot is brewing; a plot that will pit the honor of true Pokemon Trainers against an unquenchable greed for power, in a race to defend creatures that are only told of in legends...​

SIGN-UPS

Name: (First and last)

Personality: (At least three good sentences)

Appearance: (At least one descriptive paragraph, or a picture/sprite)

History: (At least two good paragraphs; how did your character get their enconn? How did they get their first Pokemon? Any notable experiences during Trainerhood?)

Enconn: (Enconns come in many styles. Some are worn like a wristwatch, some are held like a cell phons, etc. Describe your character's enconn; its style, color, size, and any other info.)

Basic Pokemon: (Species, gender, name (if any), a few words to describe their personality. Your character should have about five to seven.)

Evolutions: (Same as above, but for evolved Pokemon. You will have less of these than Basic Pokemon, and keep in mind that they are seperate entities.)

Special Units: (Most Trainers keep a few Potions, Pokeballs, Energy Searches, and the like. But if you have any really exceptional units - Multi Energy, Mysterious Fossil, Master Ball - put them here.)

RP Sample:

I'll post my character once there are a few members. No whining because you didn't get accepted, and no asking when the RP will start. It'll start when it starts.

Q&A

Are Pokemon able to materialize outside the enconn and interact with the trainer? Or are they limited to battling?

Interaction with the Trainer is possible in Standby Mode, where all Pokemon in the enconn may materialize simultaneously if the Trainer so wishes.

Can Pokemon be "trained", as in the games and anime, to become more powerful? Or is their power fixed? That is, do they behave more like living beings where one varies from the next, or like cards, where they have set values that do not change?

They can be 'trained', but not in the sense of levels. A Pokemon with more battling experience is smarter, more skilled, and possibly more resilient to attacks than a less experienced Pokemon.

Do Pokemon have the same attacks present in the games, anime, etc., or are they limited by their TCG attacks?

They can use any attack you want them to (even TCG and/or inveted ones), as long as;

1) The Pokemon is physically and elementally capable of using the move,

2) The power and effects are reasonable, and

3) The amount of Energy required is proportionate to the technique's strength.

Can Pokemon dodge attacks and move around the field without expending energy? Are there any attacks the Pokemon can make using its body alone without enhancing its strength via energy that don't consume energy? (i.e., is it possible to move around and simply scratch or punch the opponent without using energy- using a much less powerful and ineffective version of an existing attack?)

Yes. Your Pokemon can act without Energy limits, but actual attacks have a certain amount of required Energy before they can be used.

What effect does "Combining" Pokemon during evolution have on the basic Pokemon? Does their conciousness get displaced completely by the evolved form's consciousness? And how do Pokemon evolve in the wild?

In the wild, Pokemon evolve naturally, because of the 'living' Energy present in a natural environment. As for Trainer-induced evolution, the basic Pokemon is essentially sleeping inside the evolved Pokemon, and woken up when the evolved Pokemon is removed from them. Memories are transferred between the two (three?), so a basic Pokemon, though it was unable to act while masked by the evolved form, would still remember what transpired suring its evolution. The reason Pokemon are unable to evolve naturally is covered with the response to the next question.

Why can't captured Pokemon absorb energy if they're in an energy-rich region?

Okay...I'm going to make a computer analogy here. Think of Pokemon as computers, and the Energy field of a particular region (a la the Tree of Beginning's Aura field from the anime) as a network. When Pokemon are loaded into the enconn, they are moved from the Energy field of the environment to the Energy field of the enconn. The Trainer must manually charge this field with Energy in order for the Pokemon to absorb it.

Are Pokemon sentient?

I'm assuming you mean "can they talk/understand human language/think like a human/etc.?" Well...in the fanfiction this is derived from (which is mine, so don't go saying I stole these ideas), Pokemon are able to speak human tongues. I realized only today that I had neglected to mention that in the first post...so I'm glad you asked this. Pokemon can speak whatever language you wish them to (though they cannot read or write unless taught), and they have, for the most part, human intelligence (though they are affected to a point by their remaining animal instincts.) The exceptions would be a scant few individuals of the more fearsome species, due to the massive amount of Energy stored in their bodies that links them to the unforgiving side of nature.

What are the effects of energy on humans?

The processed, marble-like kind bought in stores is competely harmless unless broken (think batteries.) Raw Energy - the kind found in wilderness - is dangerous in high concentrations. Humans' bodies are not built to handle large amounts of Energy, and will suffer neural damage if overexposed.

Can Pokemon attack on their own, or are they totally dependent on the orders of a trainer?

Basically the same as the anime - they obey for the most part, but can act on their own if they don't like their Trainer/are in a situation where they cannot depend on their Trainer. Pokemon battles are much more of a commercial sport in this universe, and the relationship between human and Pokemon is very similar to that between coach and player. Accepting a Trainer is seen as a rite of passage by some Pokemon, and a badge of shame by others.

Erm, and what about you...?

I won't be handling a particular character of my own - as this RP's creator, I'll be presenting the locations and any NPCs needed, as well as directing the plot proper when it picks up.

The RP sample. More detail please?

Ahh...whoops. ^^; It doesn't have to be long at all, but it should give me a glimpse of your character beyond the form. Some good topics for the sample; your character battling, interacting with their Pokemon, traveling to Mauville, arriving in Mauville, etc. Gives you a chance to start off your role in the RP in a 'solo post.'

Notes

- This RP requires dedication and common sense. Don't join if you aren't going to stay, and don't start yelling at me if I don't accept your signup.

- I'm ENCOURAGING you to ask questions if there's anything you're confused about. I know I missed some things, can't think of what they might be, ask a question and I'll add the answer to the info.

- ...Please have some grasp of what "literacy" means, and don't post one-liners. I'm not asking that every post be a page long, but they should at least give a good impression of just what's going on on your end. I myself usually have posts of about three-five long sentences, unless there's something big going on, so just...use your better judgement.

Members
Sunnybeam as DM and NPCs
Mewtwo (RESERVED) as Mysti Endris
Dragon (RESERVED) as Vai Windrise
Jason-Kun (RESERVED) as Jason Denmark​

Last edited:
Name: Mysti Endris

Personality: She is very hyper. Serious in serious battles, though. Loves helping others.

Appearance: Later, k?

History: (At least two good paragraphs; how did your character get their enconn? How did they get their first Pokemon? Any notable experiences during Trainerhood?)

Enconn: (Enconns come in many styles. Some are worn like a wristwatch, some are held like a cell phons, etc. Describe your character's enconn; its style, color, size, and any other info.)

Basic Pokemon: (Species, gender, name (if any), a few words to describe their personality. Your character should have about five to seven.)

Evolutions: (Same as above, but for evolved Pokemon. You will have less of these than Basic Pokemon, and keep in mind that they are seperate entities.)

Special Units: (Most Trainers keep a few Potions, Pokeballs, Energy Searches, and the like. But if you have any really exceptional units - Multi Energy, Mysterious Fossil, Master Ball - put them here.)

RP Sample:

Other: It is time to go, and I have to upload something on Photoshop before I go. Hopefully finished either tonight or tomorrow. So please make this a reserve.

HOLY CRAP RESERVE RESERVE RESERVE

Name: Vai Windrise

Personality:
Vai is rather casual, and always willing to get in a fight, Pokemon or fist fight. She makes rash decisions and doesn't seriously think things through before acting. Vai is closeminded unless something directly affects her, and keeps few close friends. She likes Pokemon more than humans, when it comes down to it.

Appearance: Vai stands at about five and a half feet tall, a bit under. She appears to be Oriental (or the equivalent) and has straight black hair. Her eyes are dark brown, skin is fairly tanned. She is slightly underweight and not very prominent in the chest area *coughcough*. Most of the time, Vai is smirking. She usually wears a plain black jacket over a dark red shirt, baggy brown pants with lots of pockets, and plain sandals. Her hair is a bit longer than shoulder length, and kept back in a low ponytail.

Enconn: Vai's enconn is rather large, and shaped like an arm guard, covering her entire forearm. It's black, and has straps to keep it attached to her arm, with a kind of hard 'shell', like a Kabuto. The enconn has two points at the wrist end, which Vai occasionally thwacks people over the head with. Based loosely on this(link).

Basic Pokemon: Lied.

Scarlet, Sneasel, Female. She's mischievous, and is always teasing and taunting both opponents and allies.
Vox, Bagon, Female. Easily angered, and quick to battle. Kind of a leader, but nobody listens to her. Fights well with Coal.
Coal, Charmander, Male. Always going on the offensive, and works well together with Vox.
Glade, Tropius, Male. Pretty calm, and goodhearted. Laidback and hard to annoy or anger.
Streak, Taillow, Male. Always moving around, very jumpy. Never in one place for too long.

Evolutions:

Shade, Weavile, Female. Sinister, and usually off doing her own thing.
Slash, Shelgon, Female. Hard to anger, and on the defensive. Tries to wear opponents down rather than injuring them.
Storm, Salamence, Female. Travels outside the enconn with Vai when space allows. Has a good sense of humor and keeps allies close.

Special Units: One Dark Metal Energy, one Multi Energy and three Recycles.

RP Sample:

And you might want to know that RPs here don't live for very long >_>

Last edited:
You're definitely reserved, I like Vai's personality. And that's fine, this is kind of a test-run...only one person ever signed up for this on PC, so I never actually got to start.

It might work well as a full-forum RP, but I want to try a smaller version first.

Name: Jason Denmark

Personality: Jason is the quiet type, often found in with his nose in a book. He aspires to be a writer some day, often reading books with different writing styles as a means to try and form his own. Although he may seem friendly from the outside, he prefers the idea of not having friends. Kind of strange for someone with Pokémon? Though he is happy with his lifestyle one would say. All in all, life isn’t that bad for this teenage boy.

Appearance: Jason isn’t that tall for his age. In fact he seems to be about five foot four at the most. Thin eyebrows tend to cover his light brown eyes, which match well with skin of the same tint. Black hair tends to need cutting, or else it will fall over his eyes. Jason doesn’t have much piercings, truth being that he doesn’t have any. This holds true for tattoos as well. Typically he can be found wearing blue jeans and a polo shirt of some sort underneath a green woolen coat.

History: Jason's history...to be honest isn't that intresting. He grew up in Blackthorn City, Johto where his mother and father worked as a police offer and small town vet respectively. It was here where he obtained his first Pokémon. His father had helped to deliver the baby of a mother Ursaring. The owner of said Ursaring who couldn't afford to take care of any more Pokémon decided to give away the Teddiuras cubs and his father brough one home. His mother decided she would raise the Pokémon and shortly after, the family moved to Sinnoh.

Whilst in Sinnoh, Jason attended school there. At the age of thirteen one of his friends convinced him to break into the lab in Sandgem the night before they were to go on their journey. After being caught by Professor Rowan, the two were kicked out. After their parents founds out, the two were delayed from going on their journey togeth. A few months after his fourteenth birthday, Jason's parents brought him his Eccon along with a Piplup. His parents allowed for him to take the Teddiursa with him on the journey.

Enconn: Jason's Enconn is small, about the size of a cell-phone. Rounded, the top flips up. The color of black, he tends to clip it to the side of his pants as a means of keeping it under control.

Basic Pokemon: Jason's team isn't much. To be honest he has very few Pokémon. So far his team consist of Ginger, the female Teddiursa who likes to play, Shooter the male Piplup who's prideful and loves fighting, Ookami the Poocheyana who likes watching over her "territory", and Sharpon the male Sharpedo who loves swimming.

Evolutions: Much likes his Basic Pokémon, he has very few. Infact he has one, a male Prinplup he class Frost who seems to be gneder confused and who likes to dress up the others.

Special Units: Greatballx10, Super Potionx3, and an Old Rod.

RP Sample:

Last edited:
I have made a decision as per the cutoff of this RP.

I don't want the cast to be very large - four or five sign-ups would suffice.

I also want to start this within two weeks.

So whichever comes first - five signups or March 21 - will be the cutoff. After that, I'll allow some time to finish up incomplete signups before the RP gets rolling.

Back
Top Bottom