• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Ruler of Houndooms vs. Phantom

bulbasaur

Not quite e^(-(x-μ)²/(2σ²)) / (σ√(2π))
4vs4 Single
Style: Switch
DQ: 4 Days
Damage Cap: 35%
Banned Moves: None
Arena: Boulderon Gym

The Boulderon Gym is home to many trainer battles that take place in the Gildor League. It is where you battle Minor, the gym leader of rock. The gym has boulders scattered everywhere and the arena is surrounded by a heavy iron wall. Trainers fight from outside the wall.

Pokémon

Ruler of Houndooms' Active Pokémon:

Cyndaquil
Cynda
Cyndaquil with ability Blaze
0 EXP

Houndour
Blaze
Houndour with ability Flash Fire
0 EXP

Shinx
Surge
Shinx with ability Intimidate
0 EXP

Cottonee
Cotton
Cottonee with ability Infiltrator
0 EXP

Phantom's Active Pokémon:
Charmeleonrazor-claw
Kadan
Charmeleon with ability Blaze holding a Razor Claw
2 EXP

Haunterreaper-cloth
My Dark Soul
Haunter with ability Levitate holding a Reaper Cloth.
5 EXP

Manectricdawn-stone
Blitz
Manectric with ability Lightningrod holding a Dawn Stone
4 EXP

riolu
Fenris
Riolu with ability Steadfast
1 Happiness (=1 hidden EXP?)

Aerodactyl
Fl'hight
Aerodactyl with ability Rock Head
0 EXP

Bulbasaurshiny-stone
Saur
Bulbasaur with ability Overgrow holding a Shiny Stone
1 EXP

Attack order:
  1. Ruler of Houndooms sends out Pokémon
  2. Phantom sends out Pokémon and gives commands
  3. Ruler of Houndooms gives commands
  4. I ref

I assume that what you mean is that the trainers order from outside the wall? Is there a ceiling to the gym? If so, is it made of iron?

You know, Fl'hight's been itching to get into a battle, might as well let him out before he starts attacking villages and people end up with arrows in their knees.

First, fly up, a little not up to full height, just so you're above Blaze and use Scary Face to get him nice and scared to set the tone for the battle. Be sure to show off those nice sharp teeth you've got. Then use Earthquake, if he protects at any time use Hone Claws, then use Rock Throw.

Take flight and use Scary Face/Hone Claws~Earthquake/Hone Claws~Rock Throw/Hone Claws

Houndour, how about we start by jumping in the air to avoid the Earthquake. When he comes down with those claws, bite down on the wings and set them ablaze with Flamethrower.

Jump into the Air - Bite - Flamethrower

In the Gildor league, there exists a gym enclosed by steel walls, buried underground. Accessible only through Boulderon Pass, it houses the sixth leader and thus the sixth badge. It is not an easy matter getting there, being in the middle of some mountainous terrain.

Flying in, the trainers were able to get there fairly quickly. After a discussion with Minor on the use of his gym, the trainers and referee went in and discussed the rules of the battle. After making sure everything was ready, the referee bade the battle start.

Pokémon

Ruler of Houndooms (OOOO)
Active
Houndour
Blaze
Houndour with ability Flash Fire.
Health:100%
Energy:100%

Phantom (OOOO)
Active
Aerodactyl
Fl'hight
Health:100%
Energy:100%
Take flight and use Scary Face/Hone Claws~Earthquake/Hone Claws~Rock Throw/Hone Claws

Round 1 begin!

Fl'hight ascended into the air a bit, then rapidly flew around Blaze. Before Blaze could figure out what was going on, Fl'hight tapped him twice on the shoulders and smiled menacingly while sharpening his claws. Blaze leapt high into the air, frightened, and also in a bid to dodge any Earthquake that might come. However, a short while later, he landed back on the ground. He dusted himself off, and thought to his next move.

Fl'hight thought for a bit. He, his opponent, and their trainers were underground in a high, rocky mountain pass. Of course Earthquake was the best and least dangerous move to use in that instance. He went about executing the move, diving down onto the ground at an incredible speed and striking it at a precise angle. The ground, ceiling, and walls shook, and for a moment, the trainers feared that everything would collapse. As the shaking stopped and the walls showed no signs of cracking or caving in, everybody started breathing again.

Blaze, with a leap, sunk his fangs, imbued with dark energy, into Fl'hight's wings. Fl'hight struggled to shake him off, taking one of the gym's many rocks and hitting Blaze hard with it. Blaze finally let go, but not before he took the opportunity to singe Fl'hight's other wing with a might stream of fire.

Round 1 end!

Damage and Energy Calculations

Action 1
Take flight and Scary Face: 4 energy
Jump into air: 3 energy

Action 2
Earthquake: 15 damage, 7 energy
Bite: 7 damage, 3 energy

Action 3
Rock Throw: 9 damage, 4 energy
Flamethrower: 7 damage, 5 energy

Pokémon

Active
Houndour
Blaze
Health:76%
Energy:89%
Condition: Speed -1

Phantom (OOOO)
Active
Aerodactyl
Fl'hight
Health:86%
Energy:85%
Scary Face (take flight)~Earthquake~Rock Throw

Notes:
  • No critical hits
  • Flamethrower did not cause a burn
  • There is no way for Houndour to remain in the air for more than one action, if that's what you were intending to do. In fact, I wouldn't allow it to stay in the air for more than the equivalent of half an action, if that.
  • In addition, since Houndour's speed is much less than that of Aerodactyl, Houndour would not have been able to jump into the air before Earthquake landed, if there were an Earthquake.
  • You've also got your timing wrong. "When he comes down with those claws" would have been over by the second action.
  • Flesh is usually extremely resistant to fire.
  • However, Fl'hight's wings are somewhat damaged; this, as of yet, has no bearing on his flight.
  • Apparently, Bulbapedia says that Aerodactyl does not learn Rock Throw, but the event moves list does, and apparently, so does PO, so I guess Aerodactyl does. Oh, Bulbapedia.

Next round:
  1. Ruler of Houndooms commands
  2. Phantom commands
  3. I ref

Houndour, Power up with an Agility. Then Use Flamethrower. Then while he was distracted use Dig, allowing Agility to boost your digging speed.

Agility - Flamethower - Dig (using Agility as a modifier)

Hmm, agility won't be an issue, use supersonic first, then take to the air, HIGH into the air, try to stay out of range of that flamethrower. Stay up there, while they dig themselves into a nice little hole use double team.... Blitz and I did this once before, we'll do it again, time for the waiting game. (Why must all my opponents insist upon burying themselves?)

Supersonic~Fly up~Double Team (max clones)

Minor came in and surveyed the damage, shooting a glare at the referee before setting to inspect the structure of the gym. The referee, meanwhile, left for a coffee break. Disgruntled, Minor told the battlers off for ordering such an inconsiderate move. The battlers looked at each other before Phantom set to explain that they came from a region where such destruction and irresponsibility was not only sanctioned but encouraged. This took a while, but eventually Minor just left. Then, the referee, returning from his extended coffee break, hurriedly pulled out his flags and signalled the round begin.

Pokémon

Active
Houndour
Blaze
Health:76%
Energy:89%
Condition: Speed -1
Agility ~ Flamethrower ~ Dig

Phantom (OOOO)
Active
Aerodactyl
Fl'hight
Energy:85%
Supersonic ~ Fly (up) ~ Double Team

Round 2 begin!

Brushing Blaze off and ignoring the pain of the Flamethrower, Fl'hight opened his mouth and shrieked at supersonic frequencies. Disoriented by this cacophony, and his commands (Agility? Since when could learn that?), he ended up with a headache that made him stumble and trip over. Smiling at this fortune, Fl'hight ascended to the top of the gym, where he judged that he would be out of range of any antics Blaze might pull off. Indeed, the Houndour soon fired a tongue of fire which missed Fl'hight; however, Fl'hight could feel the intense radiating heat.

Quickly realizing how dangerous the situation could be even at his altitude, Fl'hight flew around the gym rapidly; by the time he slowed down, ten copies of him trailed in his wake and looked down in unison at Blaze, who attempted to Dig through the rocky ground, to no avail. He tried for a while more before finally giving up.

Round 2 end!

Action 1
Supersonic: 1 energy
Agility (confused and failed): 1 damage to self, 2 energy

Action 2
Fly (up): 3 energy
Flamethrower: 5 energy

Action 3
Double Team: 10 energy
Attempt to Dig: 2 energy

Pokémon

Active
Houndour
Blaze
Health:75%
Energy:80%
Condition: Speed -1, Confused (moderate)
Confused ~ Missed ~ Failed

Phantom (OOOO)
Active
Aerodactyl
Fl'hight
Energy:71%
Condition: 10 Double Team Clones
Supersonic~ Fly (up) ~ Double Team (10)

Notes:
  • Flamethrower missed due to Fl'hight being in the air
  • Apparently, Houndour does not learn Agility or Dig
  • But confusion overrode this failure on the first action
  • Double Team made 10 clones

Next round:
  1. Phantom commands
  2. Ruler of Houndooms commands
  3. I ref

Last edited:
Ask the maker of the arena. Although, apparently, it was built on the inside of a mountain, so I wouldn't count on it.

OK, so there are stalagtites. First I want you to SPAM rock throw. But not just any rocks. See those nice sharp pointy ones coming from the ceiling? Yeah, those.

If they protect at any time land and chill. If you have to chill before your third action just stay on the ground for your remaining action I guess.

Rock Throw (pointy style)/Chillx3

HHoundour, I want you to dodge those staligtites as they fall, using a Quick Attack. Crreate a couple of clones while you're at it. Then lnad a barrage of Shadow Balls at Flight.

Quick Attack to dodge the falling rocks ~ Double Team while dodging ~ Shadow Ball (Barrage-style)

Last edited:
Pokémon

Active
Houndour
Blaze
Health:75%
Energy:80%
Condition: Speed -1, Confused (moderate)
Quick Attack (dodge) ~ Double Team ~ Shadow Ball (Barrage-style)

Phantom (OOOO)
Active
Aerodactyl
Fl'hight
Energy:71%
Condition: 10 Double Team Clones
Rock Throw/Chill~Rock Throw/Chill~Rock Throw/Chill

Round 3 begin!
The battlers' wanton destruction of the arena was really beginning to show. While the walls were undisturbed, the pointy rocks on the top were starting to wobble; some would probably break off in the course of a few minutes, or another Earthquake. But Aha! this gave Fl'hight an idea. He (and his ten clones) swirled around and chose some stalactites that were close to where Blaze was, and knocked them down with a swoop of his wing. Blaze, anticipating this, attempted to leap out of the way like his trainer had faith that he could, but alas, it was not to be. He ran headlong below another sharp pointy stone and fell to the side.

Grunting, he picked himself up and dusted himself off. Then, he went off to do something he could do, running around in circles around the arena until there was not 1, but 4, Houndour pacing around. Frowning, Fl'hight picked one, and launched some sharp pointy rocks at it, but the illusion vanished as the stalactite went right through it and the others barked in laughter.

The hound (and his clones) prepared a bunch of Shadow Balls each, and threw them all at one of the Pokémon flying up on the ceiling. It was Blaze's turn to fall prey to the Double Team trick. All of the balls went through an illusion and hit the already-unstable rocky surface.
Round 3 end!

Action 1
Rock Throw: 11 damage, 4 energy
Attempt to Quick attack: 2 energy

Action 2
Double Team: 3 energy
Rock Throw: 4 energy, hit clone

Action 3
Shadow Ball: 5 energy, hit clone
Rock Throw: 4 energy, hit clone

Pokémon

Active
Houndour
Blaze
Health:64%
Energy:70%
Condition: Speed -1, Confused (mild), 1 Double Team clone
Failed~Double Team (3)~ Shadow Ball

Phantom (OOOO)
Active
Aerodactyl
Fl'hight
Energy:59%
Condition: 9 Double Team Clones
Rock Throw~Rock Throw~Rock Throw

Notes:
  • Houndour doesn't learn Quick Attack
  • Couple points of damage were added to Rock Throw because of specifications of throwing the pointy rocks.
  • Apparently, there has been precedent for "barrage-style" Shadow Ball; however, in that episode, they all converged onto the same target. I judged it to not really do anything more than the normal Shadow Ball, except perhaps look different.
  • Double Team made 3 clones.
  • Okay, so, CJ Blazer, your command string and your action doesn't quite match up. You seemed like you wanted to Quick Attack and Double Team simultaneously. That would be notated as Quick Attack + Double Team rather than Quick Attack ~ Double Team.
  • Sorry for being so late.

Next round:
  1. Ruler of Houndooms commands
  2. Phantom commands
  3. I ref

(umm, I need to edit.)

Okay, Houndour, I have an idea on how we can get back the upper hand. How about if you rest up. Use Rest and then regain some energy. Then Use Sleep talk.

Rest ~ Sleep Talk ~ Wait for the reaction

Last edited:
Bulbasaur, can CJ recommand? I don't want to have an upper hand because my opponent used a command that was going to fail. Not like it matters, but I just feel dirty about it.

Back
Top Bottom