• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Landsverd Teardrop Island

Gladion was halfway through a thought about being disappointed translation couldn't iron the Kalosienne sound out of his pronunciation when he was plunged into water that, relative to the attack he'd just taken, was honestly pretty warm. He kicked with his legs for a moment, but it didn't carry him enough to get out. Then he switched to his fish-tail, finding it more effective. Obviously. That's what it was for. Still beat two minutes, which felt pretty pessimistic.

He shook himself off, then ran for safe ground while putting up a shield. Whatever Articuno was planning to do with Isidora, he didn't like it. "I got your back, Isidora." He sent Articuno a bolt of radiant energy. Tinged with Radiance after his attack, he decided not to stop talking, "I like you. Don't let the bird get under your skin."

The last thing Isidora needed right now was to be picked on by a Coven member. No matter what world they were in, it seemed sycophants never changed. He conjured the most withering glare of disapproval he could manage...

"I'd say I'm disappointed you sensed someone feeling vulnerable and immediately tried to isolate them, but I can't. You already told me it's your MO for dealing with offworlders."

...and channelled it into a trapping move. "So you're gonna stay here with me for a bit. Don't worry, I expect you to recover within two minutes."

Gladion (116 STM, 12 TMP, +0 SPD, +3 ACC, 0 SHD, 0 RAD)
- Walk (+2 MC) to Beachfront Lake (-6 TMP)
- Dash to South Beach (-2 TMP)
- AGILE Protect (-30 STM, +2 TMP)
- Activate feat (Spotter Feat) @ AI
- **Act:** RADIANT Focus (+5 TMP)
- RADIANT Tri Attack @ Articuno (ACTIVATE: Sure Hit, effect, Hex Adept) (-29 STM, -6 TMP, +5 TMP, +29 RAD) [Paralyze]
- Mean Look @ Articuno (-20 STM, +2 TMP)
Net change: -79 STM, +0 TMP, +0 SHD, +29 RAD
Net totals: 37 STM (70 after regen), 12 TMP, 0 SHD, 29 RAD

Last edited:
"Fascinating," came Articuno's psychic speech again. "Such antipathy – for your allies who lend you strength; for your opponent who does not crush you utterly... You feel the need to prove your worth, then? Is it resentment you carry, for what you perceive as others failing to attribute you with... independence? Competence? No mortal has ever achieved anything alone, Sneasel Isidora. You are a social species; you injure yourself in your solitude."
Isidora squinted. The hell're they goin' on about...? And the realization hit her like a harsh gale. Did they read her mind? Without ambiguity, and from over there? How strong could psychics get in this world?

Articuno brought their assault to her and she found herself raising her arms to brace against it. A chill seeped through them as the hits landed, traveling down her arms, through her torso, into her legs... Isidora was left shivering.

"Would you care for some one-to-one tuition?" asked the Saint, lightly. "You have my full attention, Isidora."
She swore under her breath. "J-Jackass... I'll make you pay for that..." They did think little of her. And they had the gall to broadcast her insecurities to everyone. But it didn't matter. She only needed to prove them wrong.

Isidora threw a glance at Gladion. "Thanks!" Then her gaze shot to Laura, and she pushed down spite with spite to point a trembling claw at her. "Hey Laura! Use that move on me again!" See?! I know how to rely on others!

She could barely manage the patience to wait for it. And when it came, she immediately rushed at Articuno with the ferocity of someone who did not take this shit from anyone. 'Feel the need;' proving herself came to her as natural as breathing. And she always succeeded, without fail. Now was no exception: given the matchup, the variables at play, and the tools at the team's disposal, Articuno's loss was a foregone conclusion.

Isidora ended her assault with a sharp third kick from Triple Axel and ran to create distance. The numbness they had left her with fought against her with increasing intensity, and the warmth of Radiance rose to meet it, until the cold broke away and she rolled onto her feet out of Articuno's range. She readied herself, not dropping her grin. "I'm not even tired yet."

Articuno was going to attack her eventually, they needed to take her out early to stand a chance in this battle, but with Gladion keeping them there, she was not going to let them without suffering for it.
Isidora (122 STM, 8 TMP, +1 SPD, +3 ACC, 0 SHD, 30 RAD)
- Feint Attack @ Articuno (ACTIVATE: Sure Hit) (-8 STM, +5 TMP)
- AGILE Ice Shard @ Articuno (-7.5 STM, +5 TMP)
- Ice Shard @ Articuno (-5 STM, +5 TMP)
- Ice Shard @ Articuno (-7.5 STM, +5 TMP)
- CRITICAL Triple Axel @ Articuno (ACTIVATE: Sure Hit) (-34 STM, -18 TMP, +5 TMP)
- Activate feat (Spotter Feat) @ Articuno's Behavior
- **Act:** Focus (+5 TMP, -20 SHD, -20 RAD)
- Walk (+2 MC) to East Beach (-6 TMP)
Net change: -59 STM, +6 TMP, +0 SHD, -20 RAD
Net totals: 63 STM (97 after regen), 14 TMP, 0 SHD, 10 RAD

Last edited:
She couldn't tell if they were doing well or not, not yet – Articuno seemed to be holding back a little, and they still had no idea how bulky or fragile they were... Laura hissed against the cold, and hastened after Articuno, joining back up with the squad – most of them. Where were Ridley and Andre...? Think about that later. Gotta even the odds here, first.

Okay, they were taking hits. Still fine for now. Had to dish some out. Let Isidora get strikes in, then get out... If she kept her mouth shut, Articuno would probably just keep going after Gladion, who was making a career out of needling powerful opponents, apparently... Fine.

her gaze shot to Laura, and she pushed down spite with spite to point a trembling claw at her. "Hey Laura! Use that move on me again!"

She'd heard Isidora's fragmented thoughts, broadcast through the psionically-charged snow. Even as faint impressions, whispers, she could tell. Begrudging acceptance of Laura's aid. No trust. And yet...

Now she was asking for Laura's help.

Laura's gut churned. She'd been coping by leaning hard on the calculus of battle. The unadorned necessity of it. Lend power to her allies even if they despised her; expect nothing back. But she'd wanted so badly to be Isidora's friend—

Why now?

Anything could knock her down, weak as she felt. But she grit her teeth, and stood. Whatever the hell was going on in Isidora's head, they could talk about it or ignore it or whatever after the battle. Right now, she would help.

"Hit them with everything you have!" she shouted, a growl rising in her throat. "Get underneath, strike upward!"

Snap. Snap.

That strange feeling again. Certainty? Confidence? She knew she was right. She'd thought about it. She wasn't a howling battery to be discarded, she was a member of the team, and an asset, and she could pull her fucking weight.

She hissed with effort as she flung a Dark Pulse at her foe like a goddamn cricket ball, knowing they would flinch.

Conviction. This was what Malachai had wanted from her.

Maybe she'd get to take it home with her, when this was all over.

Laura (102 STM, 5 TMP, +2 SPD, +3 ACC, 0 SHD, 16 RAD)
- Activate ability (Moody) @ +2 Res, -1 Def
- **Act:** SHADOW Focus (+5 TMP)
- Dash to South Beach (-2 TMP)
- AGILE SHADOW Coaching @ Isidora (-27 STM, +2 TMP, +16 RAD)
- Soul's Conviction @ Isidora (-30 STM, +2 TMP) [+Reflexes, +Reflexes]
- Dark Pulse @ Articuno (ACTIVATE: effect, Hex Adept) (-22 STM, -6 TMP, +5 TMP)
- Walk to Tall Grass
Net change: -70 STM, +6 TMP, +16 SHD, +0 RAD
Net totals: 32 STM (66 after regen), 11 TMP, 0 SHD, 32 RAD

Turn 2
Player Phase
Laura's AGILE SHADOW Coaching buffed Isidora!
Laura's Soul's Conviction buffed Isidora!
Laura's Dark Pulse dealt 15 damage to Articuno! It's super effective! Flinched!

Gladion's RADIANT Tri Attack dealt 9 damage to Articuno! It's super effective!
Gladion's Mean Look trapped Articuno!

Ridley's Ghost Brawler Strike dealt 25 damage to Snow Shade!

Bellatrix's Obstinate Soul dealt 21 damage to Articuno! It's super effective!
Bellatrix's Obstinate Soul dealt 18 damage to Articuno! It's super effective! -1 Def!
Bellatrix's Iron Thorn dealt 16 damage to Articuno!
Bellatrix's Iron Thorn dealt 18 damage to Articuno!

Isidora's Feint Attack dealt 49 damage to Articuno! It's super effective!
Isidora's AGILE Ice Shard dealt 26 damage to Articuno! It's super effective!
Isidora's Ice Shard dealt 39 damage to Articuno! It's super effective!
Isidora's Ice Shard dealt 38 damage to Articuno! It's super effective!
Isidora's Triple Axel dealt a 24 damage to Articuno! It's super effective!
Isidora's Triple Axel dealt a 36 damage to Articuno! It's super effective!
Isidora's Triple Axel dealt a CRITICAL 57 damage to Articuno! It's super effective!
👁️ Bellatrix's Spotter Feat: Articuno's Defences!
Def: 231 Res: 243
👁️ Gladion's Spotter Feat: Articuno's Behaviour!
👁️ Isidora's Spotter Feat: Articuno's Behaviour!

Articuno is an intelligent, experienced battler, and will adapt quickly to the team's tactics. They won't allow the party another opportunity to respond to Freezing Soul before they can use Teleport!
However, they are not interested in winning, so much as learning about the party. They will make suboptimal plays to satisfy their curiosity or provoke responses. Nothing seems to get under their skin, but attempting to rile them up seems to get their interest all the same...
You can expect Articuno to use unusual, creative tactics with fair frequency.
Articuno seems particularly proficient with Freezing Glare, and will consistently attempt to inflict critical hits and frostbite with that move.

Articuno did not cry out or throw out their wings in alarm as Isidora's ferocious assault cut into them, and the rest of the squad weakened them terribly. They endured it with a cold stare, their wings coated in a sheen of psionic light as they prepared their response.

"You think," finally came Bellatrix's answer. "Even in a disadvantaged state, each element and obstacle you may come across is a tool; something that can be pieced together in order to gain an advantage for yourself. Use them poorly and you will find the tides turning against you swiftly."

"Quite so," remarked the bird, with the faintest hint of approval. "A utilitarian approach, to be sure, but there is merit in that. Be sure that you mind your own thesis as we continue!"

"J-Jackass... I'll make you pay for that..."

"Hey Laura! Use that move on me again!"

See?! I know how to rely on others!

"I'm not even tired yet."

"Impressive form," said Articuno, bowing lightly. "Proficiency on the attack is not supreme excellence, however. Nor does it put you beyond reproach. You harm yourself when you exert your body, and you can hardly bear to ask an ally for help. Were you ever wounded by a 'friend'?"

"I'd say I'm disappointed you sensed someone feeling vulnerable and immediately tried to isolate them, but I can't. You already told me it's your MO for dealing with offworlders. So you're gonna stay here with me for a bit. Don't worry, I expect you to recover within two minutes."

The bird's sharp beak assumed another dry smile, and their head dipped in challenge.

"Oh? Encouraging your teammate to depend on you – and allowing you to give her aid – that is cruelty in your eyes, then? You are prepared to discover malevolence and perfidy anywhere it might be, and so naturally you are adept at finding it. Who taught you to be so vigilant? Tell me, human who has taken the form of an artificially-created being, were your parents always fair and gentle to you?"

Laura, gasping for temperate air, felt a twinge of dread behind her ribs. If Articuno started grilling her about her issues... That could get unpleasant.

On the frozen lake and on the islet's rime-encrusted stones, Ridley and Andre fought with the snow shades, their attacks disrupting wisps of frost for a moment, only for them to reform.

I can't do this.
I hope this works.

The Deerling's eyes stung as their moisture began to freeze in the warmthless air.

"How odd... And yet— There's more to you, is there not, Andre? You are not here without reason, surely."

The shade danced, and the world turned white, white, white...

Last edited:
Turn 2
Enemy Phase

Articuno couldn't exactly raise an eyebrow with their anatomy, but they managed to pull off the expression all the same.

"Your defensive measures are ill-suited for this strategem, young sir... I apologise, but I did assure you I would not hold back."
Their wings gleamed. Their eyes flashed. Gladion's shield pulsed, then buckled under the onslaught of rock, and the subsequent beam of nerve-numbing psionic energy – a sunburst of light, narrowing to a thin lance – was more than he could endure.

Boss Attack: Articuno's Ancient Power broke Gladion's Protect, then dealt a CRITICAL 32 damage!
Articuno's stats rose!
Legendary Action: Sure Hit!
Legendary Action: Sure Crit!
Articuno's STRONG Freezing Glare dealt a CRITICAL 92 damage to Gladion! KO!!

Levitating with their usual composure, Articuno tilted their head as they considered the disposition of the battlefield.

Articuno is paralysed and can't move!
Articuno cannot both move to a target and attack them!

"Hmm. Inconvenient... That was well done, young peers. Very well..."

The legend blinked out of the air, and reappeared floating over their original perch, shooting a bemused glance at the Deerling struggling below them.

"Andre, young sir – would you kindly see to it that you are not in the vicinity of my next attack when it executes? I fear you lack the resilience to shrug off such a thing. There is a frost familiar on the lake's frozen surface that you might contend with more safely."

Articuno's Teleport!
Articuno is flinching and can't do more!
Boss Attack: Articuno is preparing Ancient Power.
Target: Roost Islet

The snow shades are preparing additional actions... It seems they won't leave the whiteout.

The whiteout raged on, the cold winds howling.

"Come, Wayfarers! Confront me!"

Gladion was revived.

Bellatrix and Isidora seem to have Articuno's attention right now.

Last edited:
Bellatrix exhaled, momentarily tempted to rise to Articuno's challenge. Yet as she analysed the state of the battle and her current position, she found herself remaining in place, her pelt beginning to blend into her surroundings via her illusionary power. It was immediately obvious that she would be putting herself at a clear disadvantage if she chased the Saint now, a clear plan began to take shape in her mind in the meantime. She would need to time it right, needed to conserve her energy in the meantime, but Bellatrix now had all the tools she needed for a devastating attack.

"Then I believe you will understand this next course of action," she said in response to Articuno. "Do you think it wise to charge directly into enemy territory with no form of strategy?"

Bellatrix (78 STM, 21 TMP, +1 SPD, +1 ACC, 0 SHD, 0 RAD)
- Focus (Breather) (+5 TMP, -20 SHD, -20 RAD)
Net change: +0 STM, +9 TMP, +0 SHD, +0 RAD
Net totals: 78 STM (133 after regen), 30 TMP, 0 SHD, 0 RAD
(TAKE COVER)
(BREATHER)

"How odd... And yet— There's more to you, is there not, Andre? You are not here without reason, surely."
Andre's heart jumped to his throat. They actually were reading his mind now, weren't they? Quick! Don't think about anything you want to keep secret!

A barrage of jumbled unwanted thoughts came as if on command - the image of a knife, wounds on naked human skin, men screaming in pain, the embrace of red wrath and violet fear.

They would find out. Oh, Gods, they would find out. They would kill him.

No. Don't give in to fear. Keep fighting. You are on Forlas now. Forlas comes first.

He sharpened his stinging eyes, not that they would see much, but he managed well enough to wipe his mind's eye white, blizzard white. He kept fighting.

Then, after a while...

The legend blinked out of the air, and reappeared floating over their original perch, shooting a bemused glance at the Deerling struggling below them.

"Andre, young sir – would you kindly see to it that you are not in the vicinity of my next attack when it executes? I fear you lack the resilience to shrug off such a thing. There is a frost familiar on the lake's frozen surface that you might contend with more safely."

Huh? They were... warning him? Or was that belittling? Both?

Would he take that advice? Articuno was probably right. He was weak and inexperienced. Yet turning tail felt so cowardly. If this was a test of character, what would retreating say about him? What would standing his ground say? Wouldn't that be foolhardy? Wouldn't it be better, strategically, to only take on what he could?

You would think that, coward.

Alright, new plan. He would stand his ground. He had a Reviver Seed, anyway. Might as well find out what it felt like to get knocked out and revived.

Thanks, he thought, but I'm not backing off.

He planted his hooves and stared Articuno down with spite.

Last edited:
It was immediately obvious what was going to happen. He couldn’t take Articuno’s complete focus, not right now. He didn’t struggle. The psychic force pressed in on his mind, suffocating any room for thought. Every cell in his body felt ice-cold. It wasn’t a temperature chill, but the difference was lost on him right now.

He’d accepted this as a possibility. It was fine. He was fine. He’d accepted this. It was okay. This is what reviver seeds were for. As he retreated into his deepest recesses, the RKS system bled another bit of smoke.

A nameless child stands in a hallway. Their eyes were closed, if they opened them they’d see in their reflection two images of the same person, neither of which were them. They took a deep breath, in and out. This was a responsibility, and they would deal with it. They retreated into their head, if they weren’t here if they didn’t think then they would be fine. His chromatophores sputtered and took on an inky purple. He took a deep breath in that moment, too. In and out. Not thinking about it too hard. A moment to recollect himself.

Stars, Articuno sucked ass to be around. They seemed like the kind of person to say whatever they though would help them win the point. One beat, they’re gonna take Isidora for a one-on-one, the next they just kindly gave everyone the opportunity to stop them from being a dick and he’s stupid for taking them at their word. Fine. He wouldn’t do that again.

The family bit was basically free, too. The guy who ended up as a chimera might not have had nothing wrong in his family ever. Gee. If this Coven thing fell through they could get a job writing horoscopes. They clearly didn’t understand what effect it’d had on him. Not like he could see any echoes of that in the Coven. Hell, his body should’ve made that one an easy cold read, too. Maybe the horoscope gig wasn’t such a good idea after all.

So what. The bird was just wrong. He didn’t find adversity everywhere in this world. Forlas generally seemed like a pretty good place, with a human problem. There was no point saying that. They’d just pivot to a new position and act like that was the point all along.

He took a deep breath. He saw Laura was approaching him. Probably worried or something.

“Hey, Laura. Don’t worry about me. I’ve got a reviver. Had a reviver. I’m fine! I’m still going. Gimme a moment and I’ll be back in it, keep an eye on the other for me in the meantime, alright?”

Gladion (103 STM, 12 TMP, +0 SPD, +1 ACC, 0 SHD, 29 RAD)
- **Act:** Call @ Laura
- Soul's Volition (-30 STM, +2 TMP) [Ghost]
- **Act:** Item (Sitrus Berry)
Net change: -30 STM, +7 TMP, +0 SHD, -20 RAD
Net totals: 73 STM (106 after regen), 19 TMP, 0 SHD, 9 RAD
(TAKE COVER)

Last edited:
"Hey!" Ridley shouted, and then realised he wasn't sure what he was going to say after that. He barrelled on regardless. "Is this what you do, huh? Pick away at people's personality flaws and interrogate them about their backstories? You must have a ton of friends if you think this is how to get to know people."

Where was Articuno getting this shit, anyway? Were they throwing guesses out there and hoping to hit, or were they reading minds? The idea of the latter sent a shiver through Ridley that had nothing to do with the cold. Get out of people's skulls, you creep! They didn't give you permission to be in there!

Just in case, Ridley sang in his head, as loudly as he could, trying to force the thoughts out towards Articuno: I know a song that will get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves... Even if Articuno were reading minds, Ridley doubted it would do much more than convince them he was an idiot, but he was petty enough that it felt good to do.

Maybe he wanted them to think he was stupid. If they were going to verbally flense anyone, then better Ridley than anyone they could actually hurt with it. Ridley didn't have any illusions about himself. He was selfish, he had poor impulse control, he did reckless shit all the time and he rarely cared enough about other people to worry about how his actions would affect them. He knew, and he was past the point of feeling shame for it.

I know a song that will get on your nerves and this is how it goes...

Ridley (Aux Rogue/Brawler)
- Brawler GHOST Aux @ Shade 1

Last edited:
"Impressive form," said Articuno, bowing lightly. "Proficiency on the attack is not supreme excellence, however. Nor does it put you beyond reproach. You harm yourself when you exert your body, and you can hardly bear to ask an ally for help. Were you ever wounded by a 'friend'?"
What kinda...?

No. Isidora smirked. Good.

She leapt back onto the ice and into the blizzard. Hiding from me now, huh? Paw ready at her shoulder, she took aim at another shade as it came into view, raked her claws down her arm, and just like that she had kicked off it to reach the island. Damn it felt good to be able to do that again, even in a much more limited form.

As Isidora quickly downed a sitrus berry, she could make out Andre standing his ground in the storm. What is he planning...? Worry started to weigh on her chest. He looked so vulnerable in the cold, he could get seriously hurt here...

And then a warmth pulsed through her head to wash it away. Ignore him, he's fine. He has a reviver.

She could worry about his safety later. For now, she placed her focus on the islet's shade, rushing it down with a flurry of precise attacks, only stopping when it was truly destroyed. The sneasel backed off onto the ice and skidded to a stop with the islet just barely still in sight.

Isidora stood there and waited. Nowhere to hide anymore. There's only one move you make here...

Isidora (97 STM, 14 TMP, +1 SPD, +4 ACC, 0 SHD, 10 RAD)
- Swift Soul @ Beachfront Shade (-30 STM, -5 TMP, +6 TMP)
- Retreat to Roost Islet [after dashing to Beachfront Lake]
- **Act:** Item (Sitrus Berry)
- AGILE Ice Shard @ Islet Shade (-7.5 STM, +6 TMP)
- CRITICAL Feint Attack @ Islet Shade (ACTIVATE: Sure Hit) (-8 STM, -18 TMP, +6 TMP)
- Ice Shard @ Islet Shade (-5 STM, +6 TMP)
- Ice Shard @ Islet Shade (ACTIVATE: Sure Hit) (-7.5 STM, +6 TMP)
- Activate feat (Spotter Feat) @ See conditional
- Walk to Beachfront Lake
Net change: -55 STM, +7 TMP, +0 SHD, +0 RAD
Net totals: 42 STM (76 after regen), 21 TMP, 0 SHD, 10 RAD

[If the Islet Shade is KO'd before the last Ice Shard, the redirected Ice Shard activates Spotter Intel to check Articuno's Gear. Otherwise, check Shade Behavior.]

Last edited:
“Hey, Laura. Don’t worry about me. I’ve got a reviver. Had a reviver. I’m fine! I’m still going. Gimme a moment and I’ll be back in it, keep an eye on the others for me in the meantime, alright?”

Seriously? She wouldn't have any of that bullshit. Like she was gonna let Gladion go messing with Articuno again and get his piscine arse handed to him when she could step in.

"Put a sock in it," muttered Laura between bouts of panting, having run on all fours to get to Gladion. "You need help. Allow me."

Still felt kinda weird saying that as a firm command, and maybe he'd be pissed about it later, but there was no time to be delicate. She grabbed Gladion's shoulder, impulsively, and knew that he and she both needed more resilience against the bird's special attacks. So she reached for the power...

Should she really help her friends if they didn't want the kind of help she could offer?

Stupid. Suboptimal. Just pick the right strategy, win, and worry about people's feelings later.

What about her own feelings? Were theirs always more important than hers?

Laura's head felt faint as competing Radiance and Shadow made a kaleidoscope of her emotions. Fuck. She just... wouldn't think about it too hard. Articuno might pick up on it.

Laura (66 STM, 11 TMP, +1 SPD, +3 ACC, 16 SHD, 16 RAD)
- Walk to South Beach
- **Act:** Item (Leppa Berry) (+40 STM)
- **Act:** RADIANT Focus (+5 TMP)
- AGILE RADIANT Soul's Conviction @ Gladion (-45 STM, +2 TMP, +27 RAD) [+Mag/Res]
- **Act:** SHADOW Focus (+5 TMP)
- SHADOW Soul's Conviction @ Gladion (-30 STM, +2 TMP, +27 SHD) [+Mag/Res]
Net change: -31 STM, +14 TMP, +27 SHD, +27 RAD
Net totals: 35 STM (69 after regen), 25 TMP, 43 SHD, 43 RAD

Turn 3
Player Phase
Laura's AGILE RADIANT Soul's Conviction buffed Gladion!
Laura's SHADOW Soul's Conviction buffed Gladion!

Gladion called out to Laura!
Gladion used Soul's Volition!

Ridley's Ghost Brawler Strike dealt 25 damage to Snow Shade!

Isidora's Swift Soul dealt 36 damage to Snow Shade! KO!!
Isidora's AGILE Ice Shard dealt 15 damage to Snow Shade! It's not very effective...
Isidora's Feint Attack dealt a CRITICAL 56 damage to Snow Shade!
Isidora's Ice Shard dealt 19 damage to Snow Shade! It's not very effective...
Isidora's Ice Shard dealt 21 damage to Snow Shade! KO!!
👁️ Isidora's Spotter Feat: Snow Shades
Articuno's familiars are defensive in nature. They will stick to whiteout zones and prefer to use hexing moves, in general. Making contact with one (or being targeted by one) seems to have an odd effect, in that it exposes one's surface thoughts and feelings to Articuno. This process may not be strictly necessary to fulfil the Saint's hope to learn about who you really are, but it will certainly help.

Articuno regarded the loss of their silvery familiars with a mild tch.

"Then I believe you will understand this next course of action," said Bellatrix in response to Articuno. "Do you think it wise to charge directly into enemy territory with no form of strategy?"

"Indeed not. Yet it would seem Isidora is presently providing a supermajority of your offense at this time," they observed. "At this rate, you may well end up affirming her distorted self-beliefs. You were to fight as a team, and defeat me as a team. I suggest you exert yourselves to see it done."

Andre's vision filled with white as he braced for Articuno's attack.

heart jumped to his throat

don't think

keep secret

the image of a knife

wounds on naked human skin

men screaming in pain

find out

they would find out

they would kill him

keep fighting

Forlas comes first

coward

thanks,
but I'm not backing off

Articuno spared a cold, yet strangely gentle look towards Andre. He would not see it visually, but for a moment, the bird extended a private telepathic link to the Deerling...

"My suggestion was entirely sincere," chided the legendary bird. "Leaving aside your concern for the appearance of honour, or pride... Is that truly what a human body looks like? You look so... defenceless. I make no assumptions about your culture and private life, Andre, but I can tell you fear discovery, do you not? Dissembler and pretender; silent and meek... I see that I misjudged your capacity to do harm, human."

The ground rumbled as the Saint drew on the stone beneath it.

"Still... your intention to put Forlas first is genuine, isn't it? That gruesome sadism could yet serve a purpose. Now, allow me to attack you in the manner you evidently wish."

"Hey! Is this what you do, huh? Pick away at people's personality flaws and interrogate them about their backstories? You must have a ton of friends if you think this is how to get to know people."

Get out of people's skulls, you creep!

I know a song that will get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves...

I know a song that will get on your nerves and this is how it goes...

Articuno's face creased in what might equally have been irritation, or amusement.

"Come, now, master Ridley. Did you not infer how many centuries I have seen gone by? I have known and grieved countless friends and companions – you may imagine that your insinuations mean little to me. That song, however..."

The levitated mass of rock loomed over both former humans.

"You are no fool, young sir – but I can ill allow you to disrupt my concentration. Kindly cease to think of it."

Interact result:

Boss Attack: Articuno's Ancient Power was directed at Ridley and Andre! They were hit for substantial damage!
Articuno's stats rose...

Turn 3
Enemy Phase

Isidora punctured the glittering surface of one, then another snow shade. The particles drifted; her vision paled.

Hiding from me now, huh?
Ignore him, he's fine. He has a reviver.

Articuno watched the Sneasel approach, attack, withdraw – they let out another whistle-sigh, then laughed mildly.

"Your attempts at provocation grieve me more for their inaccuracy than for what they might have implied about my personal character, Isidora – but what interests me the most is how you can possibly disparage a calculated withdrawal when you yourself favour hit and run tactics. Is it lack of self awareness? Or base hypocrisy?"

The legend drifted lightly after Isidora, their regal form obscured by thick snow... which wordlessly howled higher than ever, as the snowstorm gale expanded.

Articuno's Storm! The whiteout spread to Tall Grass, South Beach and East Beach! Snow Shades appeared!
Articuno walked to Beachfront Lake!
Legendary Action: Stats Boost! +2 Acc!

The snow parted for a moment, lanced clean-through by a sphere of ethereal energy – this one was not meant for Isidora.

Articuno's Shadow Ball dealt 40 damage to Gladion! It's super effective!
Articuno's Shadow Ball dealt a grazing 13 damage to Laura! It's not very effective...
Articuno Focused...

"I'm disappointed in this manner in which you rationalise leaving your teammates... Of course, your efforts were quite tactically sound, and may well have been optimal, but what is that distortion in your thoughts? Warmth and light... Untempered Radiance? How curious."

Another lancing beam of light from Articuno's eyes, a glancing hit, and then—

Articuno's Freezing Glare dealt a grazing 10 damage to Isidora! It's not at all effective...
Articuno's STRONG Air Cutter dealt a CRITICAL 79 damage to Isidora!

"Let us see if your unguarded self is revealed in extremis. Will you call on your light again, Isidora? Discard your inhibitions!"

Legendary Action: Firm Protect!
Boss Attack: Articuno is preparing Freezing Soul.
Target: Beachfront Lake

Staggering back from the Shadow Ball, Gladion reached for control of his typing. Cold. Think cold. Your mind hurts and every cell is ice. Nope. No. Mount Lanakila. You’re on Mount Lanakila again. The ghostly purple shifted back to the proper icy blue. The situation was under control.

He looked towards Laura, but made sure his allies would hear him over their connection, too. “Meet me up on the islet after this exchange, Laura.”

Isidora had emptied it out. It was uncontested. He took off, pulling up a shield on the way, the firing off a beam of paralytic light to serve as cover. Once everyone was on the islet, he was pretty sure they’d be able to hold it.

“This is our islet now,” he informed Articuno. “We can hold it. Isidora’s good at what she does, but don’t get it twisted. We’re still a team.”

Gladion (106 STM, 19 TMP, +0 SPD, +1 ACC, 0 SHD, 9 RAD)
- Soul's Volition (-30 STM, +2 TMP) [Ice]
- Dash to Beachside Lake (-2 TMP)
- AGILE Protect (-30 STM, +2 TMP)
- Tri Attack @ Articuno (ACTIVATE: Sure Hit, effect, Hex Adept) (-29 STM, -6 TMP, +4 TMP) [Paralysis]
- **Act:** Item (Ether) (+60 STM)
- Walk (+2 MC) to Roost Islet (-6 TMP)
Net change: -29 STM, -6 TMP, +0 SHD, +0 RAD
Net totals: 77 STM (110 after regen), 13 TMP, 0 SHD, 9 RAD

Last edited:
Legendary pokemon, it turned out, really packed a fucking punch.

This was far from being Ridley's first fight, however. Even with the cold constantly sapping away at him, he was hardy enough to take a hit, although a glance to the side suggested Andre hadn't fared so well.

"Indeed not. Yet it would seem Isidora is presently providing a supermajority of your offense at this time," they observed. "At this rate, you may well end up affirming her distorted self-beliefs. You were to fight as a team, and defeat me as a team. I suggest you exert yourselves to see it done."

"Can't have had that many friends if you're so unfamiliar with the meaning of teamwork," Ridley shouted. "The point to working as a team is doing what you can and trusting other people with the rest. For instance..."

He'd packed berries; Ridley bit down on an oran berry, feeling a little of the pain and fatigue ebb away as he chewed. He continued with his mouth full, hoping it would make him just that bit more obnoxious. "I can't fight, but I sure can annoy the shit out of people. And you just made the stupid mistake of letting me know it bothered you."

The urge to laugh bubbled up inside Ridley, and he let it out with abandon.

What did Articuno think attacking Ridley was going to achieve? He'd come to this fight on purpose, with the expectation that he'd get hurt. He hadn't actually expected the mental singing would do anything, and left to his own devices he'd have stopped in a second or two - being petty inside your own head was only satisfying for so long - but they'd risen to his bait. All they'd done by attacking Ridley was to let him know that his attempts to irritate them had succeeded, if only on the most trivial levels.

Ridley filled his mind as loudly as he could, not just with that stupid song but with anything he thought might distract or irritate Articuno, and pushed it out at them as hard as he could. Even if he couldn't hurt them himself, he could hope to buy someone else an opening to attack.

Ridley (Aux Rogue/Brawler)
- RADIANT Rogue Aux: Lower DEF @ Articuno

Last edited:
"Then I shall see to it," Bellatrix replied to Articuno, seizing her opening.

With a clear path to the islet, Bellatrix tore through the trees she had been hiding amongst, rushing past the beach to sprint onto the frozen lake. "Now! To the islet!" she called out to the others. "Take control of the terrain! Laura, your support."

She leapt mid-sprint to slash at Articuno, holding nothing back now that she had a clear shot at the bird. She summoned forth more ice, then sent forth a wave of concentrated spectral energy their way. She managed one final shot before she bolted towards the islet in one final burst of energy. Once there, tiny pants escaped her mouth as mist despite Bellatrix's best efforts to hide her fatigue from such an effort. She did not wish to deceive, there was still plenty of fight left within her.

Bellatrix (133 STM, 30 TMP, +0 SPD, +1 ACC, 0 SHD, 0 RAD)
- Walk to South Beach
- Dash to Beachfront Lake (-2 TMP)
- Extreme Speed @ Articuno (-22 STM, +2 TMP)
- Obstinate Soul @ Articuno (ACTIVATE: effect) (-30 STM, -10 TMP, +2 TMP) [Apply both debuffs]
- STRONG CRITICAL Bitter Malice @ Articuno (ACTIVATE: Sure Hit) (-37.5 STM, -18 TMP, +5 TMP)
- Extreme Speed @ Articuno (-33 STM, +2 TMP)
- Activate feat (Spotter Feat) @ Articuno's moves
- **Act:** Dash to Roost Islet (-2 TMP)
Net change: -123 STM, -20 TMP, +0 SHD, +0 RAD
Net totals: 10 STM (43 after regen), 10 TMP, 0 SHD, 0 RAD
- Bellatrix walks
- Isidora
- Ridley
- Laura
- Gladion
- Bellatrix

"Your attempts at provocation grieve me more for their inaccuracy than for what they might have implied about my personal character, Isidora – but what interests me the most is how you can possibly disparage a calculated withdrawal when you yourself favour hit and run tactics. Is it lack of self awareness? Or base hypocrisy?"
Isidora growled as she recovered from Articuno's Air Cutter. "Tch. C'mon, don't be a killjoy."

Andre worked as bait like she expected, saving her a nasty hit, and she now understood a little more about how Articuno's mind-reading worked. It was unfortunate how she almost fumbled it on the islet, but they seemed more interested in what came after. There was just one burning question: how could she take advantage of that? At the moment, she didn't have any ideas outside the possibility...

She couldn't risk dwelling on it. For now, she promptly ignored their call to see her Radiance. "I don't know the meaning of holding back! Radiance or no, I'll come at you all the same!"

The shield was annoying, but nothing that couldn't be shredded through with a series of icy kicks. Soon she was past that and back to attacking them directly. Though her strikes felt noticeably weaker compared to before. Their use of Ancient Power is getting out of control. Not ideal... At least they got baited off that island.

She backed off to join the others in claiming the islet, hanging towards the rear to recover and brace herself. Not because I was told, but because it's my best move here. And there she found Andre again. The worry forced it's way back to the surface twice as strong, and she couldn't afford to let it fester this time. She shot him a performative glare and shouted. "Hey! You good?!"

Isidora (76 STM, 21 TMP, +0 SPD, +4 ACC, 0 SHD, 10 RAD)
- CRITICAL Triple Axel @ Articuno (ACTIVATE: Sure Hit) (-34 STM, -18 TMP, +6 TMP)
- Ice Shard @ Articuno (-5 STM, +6 TMP)
- AGILE Ice Shard @ Articuno (-10 STM, +6 TMP)
- Ice Shard @ Articuno (-5 STM, +6 TMP)
- CRITICAL Feint Attack @ Articuno (ACTIVATE: Sure Hit) (-8 STM, -18 TMP, +6 TMP)
- Activate feat (Spotter Feat) @ Articuno's Gear
- **Act:** Item (Leppa Berry) (+40 STM)
- Walk to Roost Islet
Net change: -22 STM, -6 TMP, +0 SHD, +0 RAD
Net totals: 54 STM (88 after regen), 15 TMP, 0 SHD, 10 RAD

Last edited:
Boss Attack: Articuno's Ancient Power was directed at Ridley and Andre! They were hit for substantial damage!

In his twenty-three years of sheltered human life and some odd months as a deer, Andre had not felt anything near the magnitude of pain that the rocks driving into his skin and flesh and bones brought. He flew back and smacked onto the ice, aching so hard that he wasn't sure if the rocks had stopped touching him. And yet, it was still nothing compared to the eagle-talons gripping his heart as he processed over and over what had happened.

Articuno spared a cold, yet strangely gentle look towards Andre. He would not see it visually, but for a moment, the bird extended a private telepathic link to the Deerling...

"My suggestion was entirely sincere," chided the legendary bird. "Leaving aside your concern for the appearance of honour, or pride... Is that truly what a human body looks like? You look so... defenceless. I make no assumptions about your culture and private life, Andre, but I can tell you fear discovery, do you not? Dissembler and pretender; silent and meek... I see that I misjudged your capacity to do harm, human."

The ground rumbled as the Saint drew on the stone beneath it.

"Still... your intention to put Forlas first is genuine, isn't it? That gruesome sadism could yet serve a purpose. Now, allow me to attack you in the manner you evidently wish."

Articuno had seen it all. They knew what he was now. They could tell the others at any moment. 'Hey, everyone! The deerling is a homicidal psychopath!' And then what would happen? Would the others put the battle on hold to enact mob justice right then and there? Would Andre get two words in before he was bludgeoned to death? What could he even say? He could tell them why he thought his murders were justified, how all his targets were scum he had carefully selected, but they wouldn't believe him, and if they did believe him, it wouldn't matter. Murder was wrong and that was that. Anyone who was capable of it, capable of gruesome sadism as Articuno put it, was a monster who needed to be put down.

He lay on his side like a carcass, cold eating him alive from outside and in, waiting for his fate until --

What are you doing?

He opened his eyes.

Stop lazing around. You're not done yet.

He blinked, blinked, eyes frantically leaping around his surroundings. He was still alive, and as long as he was alive, he had a duty to help others. Even if they hated him, he would help them.

He extended his vines, one part of him that luckily wasn't aching, and reached into his saddlebag. The oran he fished out had been squished from a rock impacting the bag earlier, but it was still edible. He brought it to his mouth and chowed down. Tasted nice as always, but that pleasure was so weak against the pain still plaguing his body that it almost made him laugh. Regardless, he felt its healing power work its magic, the aching losing its ground, and felt good enough to slowly, slowly, get up on his hooves.

She shot him a performative glare and shouted. "Hey! You good?!"

Andre gave the sneasel a look, probably appearing positively pitiful, and hoarsely shouted out a response.

"I'm fine!"

He wasn't, but eh.

He looked towards Laura, but made sure his allies would hear him over their connection, too. “Meet me up on the islet after this exchange, Laura.”
"Now! To the islet!" she called out to the others. "Take control of the terrain! Laura, your support."

"Gladly," barked Laura in reply through gritted teeth, her paws racing on the frozen sand.

Bellatrix. What was that fox's deal? Her damage? Cold authority, with less grace and warmth than Articuno – but at least she was competent. It wasn't even hard to help her – Laura could do that without holding her nose. What mattered was tactical coherence. On that point, they had common ground.

Was there really any difference, anyway – between Bellatrix's imperative and Gladion's?

Only that she was happy to answer Gladion's call, and resolved to answer Bellatrix'.

Snap.

They didn't have to vibe with each other. They just had to be capable of working as a team. Professional.

The surge of shared, catalysed energy felt like a flame behind her eyes.

She ran further, past the fight, and into the blankness of the storm.

“This is our islet now,” he informed Articuno. “We can hold it. Isidora’s good at what she does, but don’t get it twisted. We’re still a team.”

She couldn't help but laugh. Our islet. Sure. Why not.

What a dork.

Laura adjusted her scarf to cover her ears and muzzle against the blizzard, and braced herself to hold it.

Laura (69 STM, 28 TMP, +3 SPD, +2 ACC, 43 SHD, 43 RAD)
- Activate ability (Moody) @ +Eva, -Def
- Soul's Conviction @ Bellatrix (-30 STM, +2 TMP) [+Mag/Def, +Mag/Eva]
- Helping Hand @ Bellatrix (-16 STM, +2 TMP)
- Helping Hand @ Bellatrix (-12 STM, +2 TMP)
- **Act:** Dash to Beachfront Lake (-2 TMP)
- Coaching @ Isidora (-18 STM, +2 TMP)
- Walk to Roost Islet
Net change: -62 STM, +2 TMP, +0 SHD, +0 RAD
Net totals: 7 STM (41 after regen), 30 TMP, 43 SHD, 43 RAD

Back
Top Bottom