• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Fakedex Collab Club

http://www.dragonflycave.com/faq#spriterequest

If you're in need of spriters, you're probably better off just posting a direct "help wanted"; as far as i know tcod has at least a few able spriters that might be interested.

On the other hand, a suggestion, it might be good for you to create a masterpost somewhere that details everything that's been certainly established so far. The current first post is a bit lacklustre and you're required to read through this entire two-year-old thread to glean all the necessary context. You might also make use of a tcod usergroup; it's rather easier to have multiple threads which you can post in than it is to post lots of fragmented information in one thread... organisation really is the key to project management, and having all your ideas in a dedicated location will probably help you out.

Also, i've glanced over some of your fakemon ideas and they seem all right (i didn't look too closely) but don't forget that there's a lot more to a pokémon than its concept, name and typing. You also have to worry about species names, locations, movesets, abilities, evolution methods, and the like... Butterfree has a rather good guide if you're interested at all, which details all the nitty-gritty about fakemon creation (i used it as a step-by-step guide pretty frequently back in Ye Olden Days). Reddit tends to be quite a good platform for information storage if you don't want to go all out and create a wiki.

Also, art isn't strictly necessary at first; what most spriters and artists want to see before they sign themselves over to your cause is some sort of baseline, or store of content that they can fall back on. Joining a project in its fledgling stage is risky, so i would personally focus on gathering a reliable mound of solid content before contacting anyone regarding art, unless someone comes your way... It's more likely to yield positive results.

Finally, i've noticed that most of your concepts have been either dedicated to pokémon themselves or inconclusive; geography is very, very important to region creation, so i strongly suggest, if nothing else, laying out a rudimentary map of the region. You'll find that pokémon designs are novel, but also serve a purpose; there are pokémon that inhabit the region's caves, skies, beaches, oceans, marshes, mountains, etc. They have environments, and you won't want to be making, for instance, mountainous pokémon if your region doesn't have a mountain.

That said, fan-game or -region creation is very difficult and you've been remarkably persistent; keep it up.

I totally misread this as thinking it was a response to http://forums.dragonflycave.com/showthread.php?t=18103 (sorry my internet has been playing havoc today so I got distracted easily)

Where would I post a "help wanted"? Would definitely like to post one.

I only had a very short OP b/c I wanted it to be short and simple rather than a wall of text, I thought it would be effective, but I guess I'm wrong. Since virtually all the detail thusfar beyond the pokemon themselves is only relevant for a competitive player there didn't seem much to say.

I'm not so sure how useful a TCoD usergroup or something could be for it. There's only this thread / the posts in kungfu's thread to keep a track of on TCoD. All design-related things can have a place on the original forum and once it's designed and implemented then any further discussion will go on Pokemon Perfect. I'm not sure what I'm using this for other than trying to get people interested.

About: Species Name / Location / Moveset / Abilities / Evolution Methods etc.

Movesets and Abilities are covered under each Pokemon's thread because they're competitively relevant. If they're not competitively relevant they're nowhere to be found because it's not important to the project and noone has shown any interest in it or thought that we should have it other than you and to an extent kungfu. If having that sort of information would be useful or would help get people involved I would definitely put effort into doing all of it (it sounds fun to me). That sort of detail could definitely be kept on each Pokemon's thread and in the future we could have a wiki of some kind (my friend, who designed the online BAMDex could probably do such a thing). But a wiki would be a long time in the future, it's not too important compared to getting it running on a simulator / getting artists involved.

As it stands we have ~2/3 of the pokemon concepts designed to the point of could be used on a simulator which is why there's lots of focus on getting artists involved now: if they wanted to have any of their own unique designs involved, if I started looking any later they wouldn't have an opportunity to.

There has been a little thought onto making Pokemon that fill a certain role in a region [e.g. we have starters and pokemon for most environments already] but it hasn't been explicitly set out since there's no goal for having this actually be playable on cartridge in any way so if our pokemon don't actually fit nicely onto a region that's not really an issue.

Btw thanks so much for the response!!

struck through my original response b/c I spent ages crafting it... ehm

I dunno if maybe you could leave me a response on my thread in advertising b/c I've got a much more precise aim but I tagged into here b/c I thought it might help get people interested...

I'm primarily addressing this thread, which has been active for years and (and i could be wrong) has placed rather great emphasis on region creation and flavour from the getgo, since before your project was introduced. BAM is probably fine as it is; battle simulators are far less comprehensive and only really require what's pertinent to combat.

If you intend on switching to BAM altogether and dropping any pretence of world creation, a spreadsheet or wiki of some kind would serve you well. Wikis don't have to be used in an informative context; i've used them for data organisation plenty of times in the past and it's proven highly convenient, but that's only a simplifier.

As far as artists go, i can't imagine anyone giving you strife for posting in Advertising but to be fair i can't perceive much response either; these forums are very quiet, Advertising is frequently overlooked, and the sporting community here is all but dead. You'd probably find more success searching in busier places based upon a premise which more closely suits your need, like smogon or bulbagarden, but a thread here too certainly wouldn't do any damage. :)

Well the sort of advice I could really do with is advice on getting spriters then.

I've already tried Smogon and I'm not involving myself on there again, but where else might be a good idea to post?

Back
Top Bottom