• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Frontier Town Traveller's Haus - Lobby

"I see! Personally, I haven't been in a fight yet. I've only trained a little bit. Honestly, I'm not sure if I could hold my own against wild pokémon..."
[...]
"So what kinda hobbies did you have back home?"

"I wouldn't have expected to hold my own in a fight either," Ridley admitted, "but it's not so bad when there's a group of you working together. Although I'm pretty sure everyone was more use in that fight than I was." He was fairly proud of how he'd handled himself, but he didn't think for a second that his own abilities matched up to those of people with actual experience in fighting, or even with those who'd just been competitive trainers.

"Hey, it's great that you're figuring out how to draw again, though," he said sincerely. "I can't imagine what it'd be like to have a skill like that and then lose it." From the way Andre's face had dropped briefly, he should probably be changing the topic right about now. "Ah, hobbies, hobbies... I'm one of those guys who mostly makes my work my hobby, you know? But I like cryptids - that one was more of a side-gig, actually - and watching bad monster movies. And I used to travel a lot. Most of that was for my job, but I still have fun with it."

"Hey, it's great that you're figuring out how to draw again, though," he said sincerely. "I can't imagine what it'd be like to have a skill like that and then lose it." From the way Andre's face had dropped briefly, he should probably be changing the topic right about now. "Ah, hobbies, hobbies... I'm one of those guys who mostly makes my work my hobby, you know? But I like cryptids - that one was more of a side-gig, actually - and watching bad monster movies. And I used to travel a lot. Most of that was for my job, but I still have fun with it."
"I used to travel a lot, too," Andre said. "Mostly to see the world, though, or through an exchange program. That exchange program actually inspired me to move to Kanto, which is where I was staying before I got pulled here."

He tilted his head. "But cryptids, huh? What kinds of cryptids? Like, long-thought-extinct pokémon still secretly living in hard-to-explore areas?" Those always felt like wishful thinking to him, but who knew whether they actually did exist in Ridley's world?

"But cryptids, huh? What kinds of cryptids? Like, long-thought-extinct pokémon still secretly living in hard-to-explore areas?"

"Potentially," Ridley agreed. "Or just regular pokemon which we haven't managed to catch yet. New entries get added to the 'dex every year, after all." He gestured enthusiastically, warming to his topic. "It's easy to dismiss reports of cryptid sightings as wishful thinking, but it's important to recognise that our knowledge of the world is constantly developing. Apparently dynamaxing was considered a hoax outside of Galar for years before inter-regional communications became better-established. The Fairy type would never have been discovered if type scientists had just kept going along with the established seventeen-type system instead of picking at discrepancies within it. It's easy to dismiss, say, missingno sightings along the coast of Cinnabar as hoaxes, but when you stop asking questions you lose the ability to discover something new."

He added, "And, honestly, look at us, right? We met a talking cloud and got transported to another world and turned into pokemon. If that's not solid evidence that there are aspects to the world that we haven't even started to explore scientifically yet, then I don't know what is."

Ridley coughed, realising he'd been monologuing, and said, "So, uh, what about you? What do you do when you're not drawing? Do you have any pokemon?" That was always a safe topic to discuss, right?

Last edited:
"Potentially," Ridley agreed. "Or just regular pokemon which we haven't managed to catch yet. New entries get added to the 'dex every year, after all." He gestured enthusiastically, warming to his topic. "It's easy to dismiss reports of cryptid sightings as wishful thinking, but it's important to recognise that our knowledge of the world is constantly developing. Apparently dynamaxing was considered a hoax outside of Galar for years before inter-regional communications became better-established. The Fairy type would never have been discovered if type scientists had just kept going along with the established seventeen-type system instead of picking at discrepancies within it. It's easy to dismiss, say, missingno sightings along the coast of Cinnabar as hoaxes, but when you stop asking questions you lose the ability to discover something new."

He added, "And, honestly, look at us, right? We met a talking cloud and got transported to another world and turned into pokemon. If that's not solid evidence that there are aspects to the world that we haven't even started to explore scientifically yet, then I don't know what is."
Andre nodded along, suppressing his questions. Their world only recently discovered the fairy type? Was fairy type effectiveness different? Were fairies almost extinct? And what the hell was a missingno?

He supposed he had a point, though. Science had been held back by stubborn minds many times before. And what was happening now... it required open minds.

Ridley coughed, realising he'd been monologuing, and said, "So, uh, what about you? What do you do when you're not drawing? Do you have any pokemon?"
Andre's ears perked when he heard pokémon mentioned, especially having. You don't own a pokémon! You take care of them, or you're friends with them! echoed in his mind. "Uh, I'm not a caretaker of any ferals, no, but I do know many pokémon. There's a gardevoir and two machoke in one of my friend groups -" come on, speciesdropping? "- and I get a pokémon customer every now and then. I don't know any trainers, but the machoke share one. Haven't met him, but they say he's a good one." He thought briefly about the last time he knew a trainer and the disaster that killing him had led to. No, don't bring that here. You're not a murderer in this world, and you want to keep it that way. "...How about you?"

"Uh, I'm not a caretaker of any ferals, no, but I do know many pokémon. There's a gardevoir and two machoke in one of my friend groups -" come on, speciesdropping? "- and I get a pokémon customer every now and then. I don't know any trainers, but the machoke share one. Haven't met him, but they say he's a good one."

Friend groups? Pokemon customers? "Oh, so pokemon are people in your world?" Ridley asked, realising. "That's not the case where I'm from; pokemon in my world aren't sapient. They're more like, uh, like I think the wild pokemon here are? Although I'm not entirely certain about that part yet." Now that he'd adjusted to pokemon being people here, the idea of going back to thinking of wild pokemon as non-people felt strange and uncomfortable. Maybe that was why the people of this world cared so much about wearing clothes.

"...How about you?"

"I've got three," Ridley said. "Just pets, though, I never cared much for competitive battling." He paused, and then added thoughtfully, "If they're people in your world it's probably really uncomfortable for you to hear me call them pets, huh? Sorry."

Maybe he should've considered it before he answered whatever magical transdimensional call for help had been sent out, but Ridley missed having his pokemon around. For all that Ridley complained about his obstagoon taking up half the bed every night because he still thought he was the size of a zigzagoon and Ridley had taught him bad habits when he was ten, he was finding it remarkably difficult to sleep in a world with no Shuck to curl up at his feet.

Friend groups? Pokemon customers? "Oh, so pokemon are people in your world?" Ridley asked, realising. "That's not the case where I'm from; pokemon in my world aren't sapient. They're more like, uh, like I think the wild pokemon here are? Although I'm not entirely certain about that part yet." Now that he'd adjusted to pokemon being people here, the idea of going back to thinking of wild pokemon as non-people felt strange and uncomfortable. Maybe that was why the people of this world cared so much about wearing clothes.
Andre was glad Ridley had been so quick to catch on for someone who apparently came from a world where pokémon were all feral, even if it wasn't the whole truth. "Well, there are plenty of pokémon who are people, but far more pokémon that are feral or nonsapient. You see, most pokémon have a crucial learning period in their youth that determines how intelligent they grow up to be - if provided enough intellectual stimuli, they become sapient - but if they go without those stimuli, their intelligence caps. That's why feral mon have feral offspring and sapient mon have sapient offspring. Of course, there are some exceptions - some species are always sapient, like gardevoir and lucario, and some species are always nonsapient, like plenty of fish pokémon, or at least intelligent in a less recognizable way." He huffed. "Don't ask me how this shit evolved. It's still a mystery to us. Theists consider it proof that some divine power made it so, usually Arceus." Do they have Arceus in Ridley's world?

"I've got three," Ridley said. "Just pets, though, I never cared much for competitive battling." He paused, and then added thoughtfully, "If they're people in your world it's probably really uncomfortable for you to hear me call them pets, huh? Sorry."
Andre rubbed his chin with a vine. "Well, it does make sense if they're all nonsapient and can't be anything else. Historically, feral pokémon have been kept as 'pets' in my world, though nowadays it's viewed as iffy because you could have raised them to be sapient but you didn't, essentially locking them out of the rights and opportunities that sapients enjoy and making them dependent on their owne- their caretakers. Though there are also groups, made up of both humans and mon, that say pokémon are better off nonsapient, that it's the 'natural' way. That sapience comes with burdens like the knowledge of one's eventual inevitable death." Andre shook his head. "I don't think I agree, but I also understand that nature would undergo drastic upheaval if every pokémon capable of sapience was raised sapient. It's not a simple question."

Ridley listened with fascination to Andre's explanation of how pokemon sapience worked in his world.

"Don't ask me how this shit evolved. It's still a mystery to us. Theists consider it proof that some divine power made it so, usually Arceus."

"At least in my world, pokemon are very adaptable to their environment, much more so than humans ever are. That's how we get phenomena like regional variants or divergent evolutionary lines. So perhaps something similar is at play in your universe, in terms of capacity for cognitive development," Ridley suggested. His interest was more piqued by the idea of usually Arceus; arceus-worship as Ridley knew it was a semi-obscure Sinnohite religion, not commonly known outside of the region itself, but Andre's comment suggested that in his world it was much more widely practised.

Maybe that was a topic he could bring up later if the conversation turned that way, but for now -

"I don't think I agree, but I also understand that nature would undergo drastic upheaval if every pokémon capable of sapience was raised sapient. It's not a simple question."

"Oh, yeah, for sure," Ridley agreed. "I don't even want to imagine how obligate carnivores would end up under those circumstances. That worried me a lot when we first arrived here, actually. Like I said, I don't think the wild pokemon here are sapient, but still..."

He'd seen meat as a menu option a few times, but even if it hadn't been far too expensive to afford on the low wages he was making, the idea of eating it still felt deeply weird to him. Ridley was sticking to eating insects for the time being.

"At least in my world, pokemon are very adaptable to their environment, much more so than humans ever are. That's how we get phenomena like regional variants or divergent evolutionary lines. So perhaps something similar is at play in your universe, in terms of capacity for cognitive development," Ridley suggested. His interest was more piqued by the idea of usually Arceus; arceus-worship as Ridley knew it was a semi-obscure Sinnohite religion, not commonly known outside of the region itself, but Andre's comment suggested that in his world it was much more widely practised.
Andre nodded along.

"Oh, yeah, for sure," Ridley agreed. "I don't even want to imagine how obligate carnivores would end up under those circumstances. That worried me a lot when we first arrived here, actually. Like I said, I don't think the wild pokemon here are sapient, but still..."

He'd seen meat as a menu option a few times, but even if it hadn't been far too expensive to afford on the low wages he was making, the idea of eating it still felt deeply weird to him. Ridley was sticking to eating insects for the time being.
Andre laughed nervously. "Yeah, it's a good thing I'm a herbivore here. Back home, pokémon meat production is almost gone for those same reasons pet-keeping is. We have lab-grown meat instead."

He took a sharp breath in. If he was a carnivore, he'd have to eat meat, from real mon. And, if they ever for some reason got kicked out of town and forced to live off the land, he'd have to hunt. It felt barbaric now, but what if he did it, sunk his supposed fangs or claws into his quarry, saw it squeal, writhe in pain, die slowly - what if he liked it?

Well, he knew that ??? would like it.

Andre froze. Who?

He tried to remember who it was he'd just been thinking of, but couldn't grasp it.

Maybe it was someone from a dream he'd had before coming here. That'd explain why it was so hazy.

He shook his head. He was having a conversation. "Sorry about that," he said. "Spaced out for a bit."

"So, uh, you mentioned Arceus a moment ago! That's a pretty minor religion where I'm from, only usually seen in Sinnoh. I'm guessing it's different in your world?"
"Oh, well, I guess I was mostly thinking of Tohjo and its surrounding regions," Andre said. "Arceism itself is still a minority religion, but plenty of other Tohjoan faiths recognize Arceus as the creation deity. Hence, the role of modifying pokémon species falls upon him. Back home in Galar, though, people are less religious, probably because there are fewer historical records of powerful mon that were supposed deities actually being met. Of course, the Arceans are there, too, as a minority group, since spreading their message is a big part of their religion."

He sniffed. "Personally, I'm an atheist, even if evolution theory has a few gaps in it. If Arceus turns out to be real, I still think he must just be a powerful creature that people built a religion around. And if it turns out he really created the world, then, well... it still doesn't mean I have to worship him. He does allow a lot of evil to exist..."

Do you think you'd be a better god?

Andre quickly shook his head. "Oh, that's a terrible faux pas on my part, starting a religious debate. Help me change the subject before things get ugly."

The idea of Arceus as a creator-deity sounded broadly similar to what Ridley understood of arceus-worship in his own world, although he was fairly certain that there it was only considered to have created the universe, rather than being responsible for creating and modifying pokemon in general.

"[...]since spreading their message is a big part of their religion."

"People don't proselytise so much where I'm from," Ridley said. "Especially not between regions. Not the ones with deities, at least; some of the more philosophical ones are more widespread." What would be the point? No matter how many people outside of Sinnoh knew about Arceus, it was still a Sinnohite god the same way the Brothers were Galarian.

He wanted to ask what Andre meant about Arceus allowing evil to exist, though. That sounded like a wild non-sequitur to Ridley. Was that related to the parallel-universe arceus-worship in some way Ridley couldn't guess at, or was Andre just saying he only wanted to worship gods which had opinions on morality?

Andre quickly shook his head. "Oh, that's a terrible faux pas on my part, starting a religious debate. Help me change the subject before things get ugly."

Ridley forced himself not to voice any of his questions, though. His track record with topic changes so far in this conversation was pretty poor. He cast about for a hopefully-uncontroversial topic, but the only question which kept coming to mind seemed equally likely to provoke debate.

"Have you heard anything about this gala that's happening?"

"Have you heard anything about this gala that's happening?"
"Oh, that gala with the posters about it? Not much," Andre said. "I asked some coworkers about it, and apparently it's invite-only into the mansion but has an outdoor party that's open to the general public. I'm thinking of dropping by. What, have you heard something?"

Last edited:
He said, "Anyway, I should probably let you get back to drawing, huh? It was nice catching up with you."
Andre smiled. "It was nice catching up with you, too! See you around."

With that, the two parted ways.

<><><><><>​

[Ch01] Stars in the Cloudless Sky (Isidora Solo)
The night before the day of the gala, Isidora found herself loitering on the Traveller’s Haus' veranda. She had left her hat, bag, and sandals behind in her room, leaving just her there to lean against the railing with arms folded over each other. Peeking up at the stars from under the roof, she spent her time focusing on what made them different here. She couldn’t tell; she wasn’t an astrologer. But she wanted to believe she could see the differences. She pretended to notice that the Seviper Bearer was missing. And Milotic was supposed to be around Ursa Minor, right? She couldn't find either anyway, but assuming it wasn't there, that’d probably have some effect on the way stars were interpreted, or something like that.

The sneasel let out a halfhearted sigh and rested her chin on her arms. Who am I kidding?

Koamaru’s accusation kept repeating in her head. The way he said it made him sound like some dumb, naive child, a far cry from the impression she got when they fought together. But it kept biting at her tail. I came here to… She hesitated on even thinking the next part, her ears folding against her head. It felt so… dumb, and naive. Like she were a child. Save the world. Someone kill me.

Even if it sounded childish, it was true. Isidora didn’t have the time to be getting involved in relatively petty disputes she had no real stake in. She still felt like she was struggling to get her bearings as is. Everyone was a stranger, and half the group were humans she was expected to work with. Forlas was massive and unfamiliar, the desert itself hot and exhausting and unwelcoming. She had no idea what she was supposed to be doing, or how to go about doing it. There was a horrible, lingering fear that she had her magic stolen from her so that she'd be forced to submit to one of the human members of the group if she wanted to succeed. It was all already too much, and if some of them were now getting hired on to catch Sonora at the same gala she wanted help infiltrating, then it was blatantly against Isidora's interest to humor this any further, lest the resulting divisions get in the way of their true goal, whatever the hell that even was.

And besides, in the long term, Sonora’s plan won’t accomplish anything. Just because she ruins the mayor’s reputation, it's not gonna magically stop the town from gentrifying like she thinks it will. Even if she manages to stop him, she can’t stop his successor, or their successor, or the successor after that. Nor can she stop the endless amount of rich ‘mon who might already be interested in this town regardless of the mayor. As long as there’s something of value to be gained from doing it, there’ll always be someone with power and influence willing to take that opportunity and ride it to the end. Even in a best case scenario where everything goes perfectly, it’ll be nothin’ more than a neat bit of trivia in the long history of Frontier City.

But… there’s no way she doesn’t know that, right?

She had to have known. Very few 'mon on the wrong side of the law had delusions of grandeur like that. At least, no one she’d ever met.

And besides, Sonora had come up to her, trusted her, and asked.

Does she really believe in those inflated human myths so much that she thinks we would help her? Koamaru’s accusation repeated again. Most of us won’t. I shouldn’t. I’m not a criminal, this isn’t the kind of thing I want to go around doing with my time off school. It isn’t why I’m here.

And then she remembered the fire in the florogato’s eyes. Somewhere in there, she felt she could relate to it. It felt like her own.

Isidora couldn't say no to that, no matter how hard she tried to argue against it. The answer was always yes.

Her claws dug into the wooden railing. I don't know what the group should do, but I know what I want to do. And if any of the humans in the group have a problem with that, then they can get bent.

<><><>

[CH02] A Grub's Life
Well, that ice cream took a dig into his finances, alright. And just when he was trying so hard to pay up for his stay at the Haus, too, rather than remain dependent on the marshal’s dime. Oh well, he’d really needed the treat, after the fight they’d had. And, well, given what had happened, they probably weren’t getting paid for the security gig. The Oshawott sighed, it was back to the Bulletin Board grind for him. Well, at least it was pretty distant from Frontier Town, so if they did end up getting run out of town, his source of income should still be stable...

Assuming they didn’t get bounties put on their heads next.

Archie shook his head, he couldn’t let himself get bogged down in what ifs and various other negatives. Corey was hurt and would need his support, and he’d promised Ridley he’d keep his eyes and ears open for information that could help figure out why they were here, and what their goal was. Honestly though…

The Oshawott took a seat, and watched the comings and goings of the other Haus occupants. He just needed a minute to stop and think about things, he told himself. Otherwise, this whole mess was going to get overwhelming. He really missed having Spencer to talk to.

Among the many Pokémon to enter the Haus at that time, Eco appeared to be the most weary, yet reckless, among them all. The Grubbin walked into the Haus caked in dirt, her eyes half-closed while she frequently panted in between breaths. It looked like she absolutely needed a nap and a bath, at that.

She hadn't appeared to have seen anyone, either. That or she simply hadn't cared at all about such.

Wait a second, wasn’t that? It was! Archie hadn’t seen much of Eco since they’d departed the bar they’d all arrived in at the start of this crazy adventure. The little Grubbin looked pretty beat up, to be honest, and the Oshawott wasn’t sure if she hadn’t noticed him, or simply didn’t care to. Part of him considered letting her go about her business but…

Well, maybe it was just because he felt bad he hadn’t checked in with Astrid when he’d had the chance at the Sunstone – and he hadn’t seen much of Kimiko or Clover lately either – but the Oshawott found himself hopping out of his seat and heading over to the Grubbin.

“Hey, you okay?” He asked, with obvious concern. Hopefully she hadn’t gotten jumped or anything...

"Huh?" Eco rubbed an eye, sharply turning herself in the direction of Archie's voice. She glanced at the Oshawott with a puzzled look in her eyes, a look that would quickly recede into that same half-shut expression the Grubbin had when she walked in. Maybe she was a bit slow to process his question.

"Yeah." she simply responded.

The Oshawott took a step back when the Grubbin turned his direction, but, whatever trouble he was half expecting to come from his sudden intrusion didn’t manifest. He folded his arms and frowned, looking the small bug over. Was she having trouble processing things? Hopefully it was just tiredness. She didn’t look injured at first glance.

“You uh… Don’t seem it?” he pressed. “People aren’t giving you trouble around town, are they?”

Back
Top Bottom