• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

what foreign languages do you speak?

Herbe

the dave of guy
Pronoun
xe/xem (plural)
just curious! i'm one of the run of the mill americans that's only fluent in english, although I plan on majoring in french and studying abroad to gain fluency! I've studied it for 3 years. my minor will be in linguistics, and i hope to study many more languages in college and beyond (like mandarin, japanese, maybe arabic)

what languages have you studied/are fluent in? i know there's a lot of different languages that tcod ppl can speak :>

I'm fluent in Portuguese because, well, it's my native language. I can also speak Spanish (though "fluent" would be too strong of a word) and I know enough German to be able to communicate myself in the language

I'd love to learn Mandarin one day, but I doubt I'll ever go past 'nihao'

I'm a fluent english speaker, english is my native language. I'm also studying french so i can understand/speak like 40% of the french language. I know enough to get a point across. I grew up listening to lullabies in portuguese because i couldn't fall asleep without music as a little kid, so my mom bought me a CD with portuguese lullabies and after reading all the translations to the songs i started to understand one or two things, so i can understand a tiny bit of portuguese. I also took spanish but i don't really remember.

Mostly though, french is the important thing, because when i grow up i plan to move to canada because canada is awesome.

I'm fluent in Portuguese because, well, it's my native language. I can also speak Spanish (though "fluent" would be too strong of a word) and I know enough German to be able to communicate myself in the language

I'd love to learn Mandarin one day, but I doubt I'll ever go past 'nihao'
motherfucker how do we also basically have the same set of languages-

so yeah, portuguese is also my mother tongue; you can normally see my flawless, flouelez english at a given time; I've learned spanish, not to the point of fluency, but at the very least to the point that I could bob and weave for two non-spanish-speaking imbeciles in Buenos Aires; and I've started learning german a few years back, altho I still have a lot to learn there

I've been thinking about doing Japanese next, too, but ah, one language at a time,

english natively and spanish insofar as high school/college courses + visiting a couple of hispanophone countries (due to the nature of The Educational System, i can write/understand spanish at an intermediate level, but i have to think really hard when i try to actually speak it)

took some french in middle school and retained some vocab and not much else. i can count really high in mandarin but i don't really know much else, which is sad, seeing as how it's semi-integral to my cultural identity,

I know English natively and a minor amount of ASL from high school classes! I don't know enough ASL to be able to hold a conversation, but doing some signs along with songs is good hand feels

I also wouldn't mind learning Japanese eventually so I can finally play touhou/other Japanese games without needing to run a translation patch

Reactions: Ys_
In addition to English, I know basic Japanese and really basic Mandarin.

I'd definitely like to learn more - I think my answer is basically the same as the last time a thread like this came up. ^^"

I speak English natively and can speak some broken Latin (I don't have very many people to talk to :P). I can read Latin a lot better, but still not to the point of fluency. I've studied Ancient Greek, but only ever reading it, and not speaking it, so I'm probably really bad.
I studied some basic Mandarin in 8th grade and I know how to say "How are you" and "You SoB" in Japanese, so :P

I forgot to mention i've been studying japanese on and off. I know how to say a few colors, how to say cat, and how to say bird.

Reactions: Ys_
I speak Spanish fluently. I started learning it when I was twelve and kept up with it ever since then. I actually download/install software in Spanish now. My iPhone is also in Spanish. I love watching Spanish soap operas and learning about the whole culture across the various regions. My biggest test was my first ever mission trip to El Salvador as a study abroad thing when I was in college (2015). My language skills grew phenomenally and I got the confidence I needed to feel more comfortable utilizing all the stuff I learned.

I would like to learn a third language but I can't decide which one. My sister taught herself Korean, so that's an option. But I also teeter-totter with Japanese or Italian. I dunno.

oo, guess I missed this thread when it was originally made!

Unfortunately I'm not strong in any language other than English, but I'm learning German in the hope of being able to move there for work after I graduate. Wherever possible I try to play video games or watch TV in German, for the immersion. (Unfortunately German translations of things are often... not great.) Before the pandemic I went to a conversation practice group too, but, well. Hope my speaking hasn't atrophied too much.

I also picked up a bit of Spanish (castilian) and Catalan while doing fieldwork overseas last summer, but barely enough to communicate basic concepts. And I can pronounce Japanese kana, but fuck if I know what any of the words mean.

My native language is Spanish and the second one is English. I went to a bilingual school, so I learned English early. I took some French courses but only got to finishing the basic levels. And I would want to also learn Korean and Japanese.

Back
Top Bottom