• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Would you be into Pokémon if it came out today?

I stumbled upon Pokémon when I was three because of two major factors. Factor 1: My older brother knew someone who recently let him borrow their Pokémon game. Factor 2: We were about to make the three day trip from Tuscon to a teensy town in Minnesota where some of my Mom's family lived and my parents needed to give their three- and seven-year-old children something to do. If it hadn't been Pokémon, it would've been something else. And I think, that for me. Whatever that thing was, in an alternate timeline where Pokémon didn't exist till recently, would potentially fill the space in my life that Pokémon does. I... can't say for sure what that thing would be.

That said, I *might* stumble upon Pokémon in that alternate timeline, but whether or not I would be interested I can't say. I can somehow connect the vast majority of my media-related interests to Pokémon, so in an alternate universe where Pokémon is new and something else fills that spot in my life, whether 1999 charizard Pokémon ( https://collectorpricing.org/1999-charizard-pokemon-card/ ) would be something that would interest me enough to try it, *if I even discovered it*, would depend heavily on the "something else".

It is interesting to hear how the author stumbled upon Pokémon at the age of three, thanks to their older brother borrowing a Pokémon game from someone and their parents needing to keep them entertained during a long trip. It's fascinating to consider that if Pokémon didn't exist at the time, the author may have found something else to fill that void. It's possible that in an alternate timeline where Pokémon wasn't present, something else could have taken its place in the author's life. However, it's hard to know exactly what that thing would have been.

Last edited:
I stumbled upon Pokémon when I was three because of two major factors. Factor 1: My older brother knew someone who recently let him borrow their Pokémon game. Factor 2: We were about to make the three day trip from Tuscon to a teensy town in Minnesota where some of my Mom's family lived and my parents needed to give their three- and seven-year-old children something to do. If it hadn't been Pokémon, it would've been something else. And I think, that for me. Whatever that thing was, in an alternate timeline where Pokémon didn't exist till recently, would potentially fill the space in my life that Pokémon does. I... can't say for sure what that thing would be.

That said, I *might* stumble upon Pokémon in that alternate timeline, but whether or not I would be interested I can't say. I can somehow connect the vast majority of my media-related interests to Pokémon, so in an alternate universe where Pokémon is new and something else fills that spot in my life, whether Pokémon would be something that would interest me enough to try it, *if I even discovered it*, would depend heavily on the "something else".

It is interesting to hear how the author stumbled upon Pokémon at the age of three, thanks to their older brother borrowing a Pokémon game from someone and their parents needing to keep them entertained during a long trip. It's fascinating to consider that if Pokémon didn't exist at the time, the author may have found something else to fill that void. It's possible that in an alternate timeline where Pokémon wasn't present, something else could have taken its place in the author's life. However, it's hard to know exactly what that thing would have been.
I have a feeling it would’ve been Tangled. The TV series.

The modern games hold your hand for a little too long and the anime, I mean, I like some of the later generations but I don't know if I could really get into it without that lifelong attachment. The trading card game is still good but I find it hard to actually support playing a TCG besides Magic.

I was 7 when RBY came out in North America, and while Pokemon itself is great, it was also an enormous gateway that lead to JRPGs, anime, internet forums, roleplaying, fandom, trading card games, and I'm sure some other weird thing can be traced back to Pokemon. Like, I dunno if it could have that sort of impact at this stage of my life.

The modern games hold your hand for a little too long and the anime, I mean, I like some of the later generations but I don't know if I could really get into it without that lifelong attachment. The trading card game is still good but I find it hard to actually support playing a TCG besides Magic.

I was 7 when RBY came out in North America, and while Pokemon itself is great, it was also an enormous gateway that lead to JRPGs, anime, internet forums, roleplaying, fandom, trading card games, and I'm sure some other weird thing can be traced back to Pokemon. Like, I dunno if it could have that sort of impact at this stage of my life.
The question is crazy to even think about because its hard to imagine what you would even have been into as a kid without Pokémon's influence as a franchise. Like Digimon wouldn't exist and Yugioh might not even be the way it is. We might've ended up getting Pokémon today and going "yeah these designs are okay but theyre nothing compared to gen 1 of Dragon Quest Monsters". What would the first gen of Pokémon even look like if it didnt have its roots in the 90s? It's a completely alternate reality that hurts my brain cells

@Yubari fun fact: Digimon actually started out as a Tamagotchi spin-off, and the first few Digimon v-pets released several months in the US before Pokémon did.
Another fun fact: Digimon and Harry Potter debuted as franchises on the exact same day: June 26, 1997

Back
Top Bottom