• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What do you want to do as a job when you're older?

I want to buy a large bit of property somewhere and open up a shelter for animals. I will not put the animals down like those "humane societies" do. They may live their lives out there in the wide open spaces and if they are adopted, well, good luck to them. In the meantime, I want to get a job at the local zoo, or move to Australia and work at the zoo that Steve Irwin worked at. Man, I miss him... :'(

nah join as an officer. The army's a bit more of a prestigious organisation than the RAF and you might as well join as an officer. I was thinking of it before I realised I'm lazy.
This is true but for two reasons:

1. Planes drastically reduce the chance of getting shot in the arse by some beardy guy with a gun.
2. RAF coats > all

I actually don't have a clue what career I want to pursue. At the moment, the most tangible options seem to be historian, journalist or writer. #1 and #3 get knocked out immediately for being extremely difficult jobs to be successful in, and there's seemingly no respect gained from pursuing them. #2 is dangerous depending on the political situation of the country, but seems the most fun.

I feel sad that my career as a scientist died when science in school became nothing more than exam preparation. D:

Exactly! |D Join the RAF instead~

And also, on the officer thing, I dunno whether to join as an officer or an airman in the RAF. And I'm saying that because they're pretty much lifetime decisions.

I'd say officer because I KNOW I can do that well, but... I'd probably fail at it. ;_;

I feel sad that my career as a scientist died when science in school became nothing more than exam preparation. D:

God, me too. I took bio and chem at AS-level because I thought I could take it, but I couldn't. I dropped chem at the end of year 12, and if any subject lets me down so I don't get into the uni I want, it'll be bio.

Sad, isn't it?

I'm forced to do all three for GCSE. It's the most mind-numbingly dull waste of time I have ever come across. Worst of all, I'm fairly sure that it IS actually representative of a career in science. After all, repetitive experimentation and precise notation is the pillar of science.

I used to think that I could be the next Newton... *sigh*

I don't understand why anyone would want to join the army.
money.jpg

Compared to minimum-wage jobs or no job at all - a reality for many families - it's fantastic.

I know that army recruiters prey on the poor. But many people who join the army are not in the situation you described.

Exactly! |D Join the RAF instead~

And also, on the officer thing, I dunno whether to join as an officer or an airman in the RAF. And I'm saying that because they're pretty much lifetime decisions.

I'd say officer because I KNOW I can do that well, but... I'd probably fail at it. ;_;

An officer, definitely. Sure, you'll have to get a degree first but it's worth it. You get paid far more than an airman.

God, me too. I took bio and chem at AS-level because I thought I could take it, but I couldn't. I dropped chem at the end of year 12, and if any subject lets me down so I don't get into the uni I want, it'll be bio.

Sad, isn't it?

; ; you're ruining my dreams dannichu. I think I'll be fine with chemistry and biology... at least... I hope so.

I'm forced to do all three for GCSE. It's the most mind-numbingly dull waste of time I have ever come across. Worst of all, I'm fairly sure that it IS actually representative of a career in science. After all, repetitive experimentation and precise notation is the pillar of science.

I used to think that I could be the next Newton... *sigh*

Really? I've been told that science at GCSE/A-level is far different to actual science. It gets better, apparently, you just have to stick it out.

Really? I've been told that science at GCSE/A-level is far different to actual science. It gets better, apparently, you just have to stick it out.
However, sticking it out for three more years and sacrificing A-levels that I enjoy more and are much, MUCH better at would be possibly the most masochistic plan I can think of. D:

But would you rather do A-levels you enjoy and then pretty much fuck yourself over because they're not what you want to do for a job or spend two more years at A-level?

I thought I'd be happy doing law but it turns out that I'm really, really not. I'm only going to be happy if I'm doing science, I think.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from doing what you want to do, I'm just trying to give you more things to think about [because it seriously helps to get it right the first time which is rather what I failed to do].

Right now? Guitar (including bass), clarinet, trumpet and cello. Okay, I don't know much about the cello, but my family does have one and I can play some stuff on it. I plan to learn how to play the violin, trombone, and various Celtic instruments in the future.

Learning a keyboard instrument is good in developing musical skills.

I would quite like to be involved in law or politics. My ultimate ambition is to become Prime Minister, but that's not going to happen.

If I can be a judge/barrister, MP or author, I'll be happy.

Well to become a judge you have to be a barrister for at least ten years anyway, so there you go.

Though of course you'd better hope that you're a white, middle-class and middle-minded male or otherwise you're screwed. [nah there've been reforms but still. Though by the time you're eligible maybe it'll have changed.]

Novelist. :3

I'm a lazy novelist, though. I have problems coming up with original material and writing it. Plus, I want to make something different. I want to break out of the box many novels fall into and use some radically new technqiue or something. It's a shame I don't know any radical techniques, new or old. :/

I'd also like to be a musician. I play keyboards and am learning the musical saw (it's an instrument go away Simon Cowell). If I get good enough, I could be a session musician and play other people's horrible music! :D

Failing that, web design is kind of interesting, and realistically, I could be the girl who writes technical manuals. Even though nobody reads those anyways. D: I used to like graphics design but I don't have photoshop anymore/ my tablet is screwy.

Social Studies is interesting, but what could I do in that field? What in the world do historians do?

I could be a philosopher. If I have enough controversial, revolutionary theories, maybe I'll get paid to go on TV shows and make a living off that.

Back
Top Bottom